Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

I'm not totally sure what my thoughts on this are. I mean, they're just SUSPECTS at the moment, right? No actual charges have been pressed. And I remember the Boston Bombing hysteria, I'm leery of publishing names of suspects on major media in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well I mean they are public records so I am not sure what being suspected has to do with anything,

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Question about the end of this Jon Bois video (which is excellent, as usual): is this a normal size mic in the foreground, or is Jon doing some Citizen Kane forced perspective with a giant novelty desk mic?

I'm unfortunately leaning toward the former since he seems just a bit out of focus, but the latter seems plausible.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 4, 2017

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
It looks like a normal mic, to me.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah normal size mic just closer

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Are you asking if someone has a mic very close to their camera lens or if instead they're sitting next to a six foot tall mic?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJoTBlDfVhk

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Work Friend Keven posted:

Are you asking if someone has a mic very close to their camera lens or if instead they're sitting next to a six foot tall mic?

That is the question, correct.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

General Dog posted:

Question about the end of this Jon Bois video (which is excellent, as usual): is this a normal size mic in the foreground, or is Jon doing some Citizen Kane forced perspective with a giant novelty desk mic?

I'm unfortunately leaning toward the former since he seems just a bit out of focus, but the latter seems plausible.

this is the rare Blue Yeti, its a wild beast that towers over all men who dare try and podcast with it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Aye Doc posted:

this is the rare Blue Yeti, its a wild beast that towers over all men who dare try and podcast with it

On the other hand, Jon Bois.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

iospace posted:

On the other hand, Jon Bois.

Exactly

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
jon bois is very good, i like his videos a lot

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

I find him to be pretty good, personally

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

I find him to be pretty good, personally

:haw:

ESPN is finally killing The Sports Reporters as of this weekend.

It will be replaced by an hour-long E:60 hosted by Jeremy Schapp and Bob Ley, which sounds like a fantastic idea.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

Card Show is great. Nanni getting not one, but two checklist cards in his early 90s NBA pack is a true flashback to childhood. And one of the checklists cards has a checklist for all the checklist cards so you can make sure you got them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vS4hdzPpqWI

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I had no idea The Sports Reporters was still a thing. Did ESPN forget to cancel it like 5 years ago and just got around to it now?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

I had no idea The Sports Reporters was still a thing. Did ESPN forget to cancel it like 5 years ago and just got around to it now?

no, they made Lupica the host after Saudners died

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Benne posted:

It was basically ESPN's longest-running program after SportsCenter (well, it's got to be Sports Reporters or NFL Primetime, I forget which started first), so it was just kind of an institution, and I think ESPN really respected Saunders for breathing new life into it after everyone was stunned by Dick Schaap's death. But they've just had rotating panelists ever since Saunders passed, and they've got so many other debate shows now, I guess they just figured its time was over.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves

PotatoJudge posted:

Card Show is great. Nanni getting not one, but two checklist cards in his early 90s NBA pack is a true flashback to childhood. And one of the checklists cards has a checklist for all the checklist cards so you can make sure you got them all.

Thank you for this, this is great.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

PotatoJudge posted:

That sure makes me smile. I had a checklist card that had a checklist of checklists too. I'm pretty sure that I traded someone for it. I had a thing for checklists.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Sash! posted:

That sure makes me smile. I had a checklist card that had a checklist of checklists too. I'm pretty sure that I traded someone for it. I had a thing for checklists.

It's hard to say which were the better checklists, the Topps ones with the team photos or managers, or those sleek artistic ones from Upper Deck.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Timby posted:

It was basically ESPN's longest-running program after SportsCenter (well, it's got to be Sports Reporters or NFL Primetime, I forget which started first), so it was just kind of an institution, and I think ESPN really respected Saunders for breathing new life into it after everyone was stunned by Dick Schaap's death. But they've just had rotating panelists ever since Saunders passed, and they've got so many other debate shows now, I guess they just figured its time was over.
I used to really enjoy it when Saudners was hosting. I tuned in for the last episode and I was sad to see it go, even if it was mainly Lupica and Mitch Albom who annoy me pretty consistently. I did enjoy that it was less 'hot take' focused and more like a bunch of grandpas sitting around talking about baseball.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

One of the ESPN pr guys posted the parting shots from the first episode

https://twitter.com/bhofheimer_espn/status/861187020307214338

Even if it was about astroturf, Ralph Wiley's thoughts on football safety are even more relevant today

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Vertical Lime posted:

One of the ESPN pr guys posted the parting shots from the first episode

https://twitter.com/bhofheimer_espn/status/861187020307214338

Even if it was about astroturf, Ralph Wiley's thoughts on football safety are even more relevant today

Wow. Two very modern takes in that segment a "so he took PEDs, who cares?" take and a "football is dangerous, I wouldn't let my son play" take.

Sometimes we forget that there have been sensible people all along in sports journalism, they just tend to get shouted down and drowned out by the idiots.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The media always looked the other way on PEDs until someone they already disliked in Barry Bonds started using them, at which point it became the biggest crisis in the history of sports. The overwhelming reaction to Andro being discovered in McGwire's locker was to get angry at the reporter who pointed it out for trying to ruin a great story.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

MourningView posted:

The media always looked the other way on PEDs until someone they already disliked in Barry Bonds started using them, at which point it became the biggest crisis in the history of sports. The overwhelming reaction to Andro being discovered in McGwire's locker was to get angry at the reporter who pointed it out for trying to ruin a great story.

I'm pretty sure something else in regards to Bonds was in play, as well.

(baseball writers as a whole really need to get over the whole "UNWRITTEN RULES OF THE GAME :byodood:" poo poo that they have. It's fine when it's their guy who does it, but when someone else does it, "THAT'S NOT RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT :bahgawd:")

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

iospace posted:

I'm pretty sure something else in regards to Bonds was in play, as well.

That became patently obvious two years ago, when four more people voted for Clemens for the Hall of Fame than did Bonds.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Timby posted:

That became patently obvious two years ago, when four more people voted for Clemens for the Hall of Fame than did Bonds.
If Bonds was really Hall of Fame worthy he would have played in Boston or New York, the only cities that really matter.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Bonds should be in the hall of fame but he was also a giant dick who I feel little sympathy for.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MourningView posted:

The other thing to remember was that the President was a former team owner who knew where the metaphorical bodies were buried, and he was riding his popularity with people who weren't immediately turned off by his starting wars. Going after something like baseball drugs was an easy poll boost.

That said, I consider Olympic doping (the case in that old video) and especially boxing-related doping to be very different than baseball. Boxing is obvious, and the Olympics are complicated because you're competing for something other than money, so doping puts pressure on people who don't want to take PEDs that they have to if they want to win, and you also will have pressure from national Olympic organizers who will want to pump their athletes full of drugs and punish them if they don't comply. Autocratic states like North Korea (which does do quite well in weightlifting) and near-autocratic states like Russia and China certainly will.

So, there's a huge difference between that and organized pro sports with labor rights.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 7, 2017

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Whitlock gets to do his shtick in the WSJ now

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

https://twitter.com/greghoward88/status/861371010720952320

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Timby posted:

Four whole people? There are over 400 voters for the MLB Hall of Fame. That's nothing but noise.

Even if you could chalk that up to anything, I'd be inclined to bet it was something much simpler and less insidious: dingers. People care deeply about the home run record.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

https://twitter.com/ToLey88/status/861384093694644225

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

The degree to which Greg Howard completely destroyed his brain is hilarious.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Ow

https://twitter.com/arjunbasu/status/861666742069800961

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

hahaha niiiiiiiice

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:allears:

howe_sam