Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
SDBs on Gripen are OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Xarn posted:

SDBs on Gripen are OP.

They really are. So little risk compared to dropping paveways. TBH this is one reason I brought the SA-11's in.

I'm working on the video now, editing and such. I should have it up in a few hours.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Xarn posted:

SDBs on Gripen are OP.

Yeah funny how modern munitions designed to avoid risk to the user work that way.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

power crystals posted:

So You Wanna Do A (War)Crime

Tythas in streamchat inspired me to look this up by talking about napalm but having a decidedly incomplete list of "things what set other things on fire". Here's a summary of some interesting options you can use to reenact your most treasured memories of the Vietnam war.

I'm skipping the F/A-18 variants because everybody wants those anyway, as well as the Fulcrums, Flankers, and Fullbacks for similar reasons of being generically good.

First up, some bad or at least non-exciting entries:
  • A-37B Dragonfly: There's like, 12 of these from various countries. They're all basically the same. They're slow as molasses, but technically better than the SK60s!
  • AV-8B Harrier II+: Eh. Harriers were great in True Lies. They're not that great here, slow and small loadout. But they're another option with a bunch of decent weapons.
  • OV-10D(+) Bronco: Were you interested in the Dragonfly, but thought it just wasn't terrible enough? Have I got a deal for you.
  • Super Mystere B.2: Thanks, Honduras, for operating these until loving 1989. They're from the 1950s! We'd be better off donating them to a museum.
  • Yak-38M Forger A: All the downsides of the Harrier, plus all the downsides of it being Soviet hardware. I don't know about you but I'm super pumped. The really interesting thing though is that these weapons (RBK-500-ZAB) aren't just napalm, they are cluster napalm, which is like the warcrimes-est thing I have ever seen. Well played, Russia.
Now, some stuff that's actually pretty interesting
  • A-6E Intruder: Still a pretty mediocre aircraft, but notable for having the utterly weird loadout of Shrikes and napalm. For whatever requires that combination. Also basically every other weapon, including sea mines. For extra warcrimes.
  • A million goddamned Su-24 variants: Fencers are pretty nice, especially since we don't need to be really concerned about mixing NATO/Russian munitions. They also come with an absolutely ludicrous number of loadouts, including our cluster napalm friends.
  • Su-25T Frogfoot: Hey we already own one of these.
  • MiG-29 Fulcrum C (Baloogan's site appears to die on this one): I know I said I'd skip Fulcrums, but this one is from Myanmar! That's worth something, right?
  • F-4E Phantom II (United States): There's a whole bunch of American Phantoms that can mount napalm bombs. And you know how much I love my Phantoms. But speaking of that, I saved the best for last:
  • F-4E Phantom II (Iran): That's right, Iran is back and ready to fulfill all the Phantom needs you never knew you had.

I think the irony percentage of my support for buying Iranian Phantoms is rapidly diminishing.

Stay safe out there, warcrimes ghosts!

You sir are a god send, I am giddy with excitement after seeing those cluster napalm munitions and sea mines as well? Well that is just icing on the cake, hopefully we can pick up some of those aircraft and I can add a little more mixture to my plans.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
The last time we saw anything launch out of Kuito, it was the Sultan's and they've left for greener pastures. As for the closer air base we hit, that had the ELINT/EWAR birds that Rohan/Silent Bob went after two missions ago now, so there's little to no apparent degradation of capability that the Dictator has suffered in terms of that damage. The air base that the Free State hit never had activity that we saw, though I don't think we have had good eyes (ELINT or otherwise) on that one's airspace.

We should have had a ferry/move operation to Menongue/Cassamba (which ever we were going to use, we ended up using the latter) to clear the immediate area at least of threats. That SA-2 battery had, at the very least, detection of what was going in and out of the Cassamba air base, and that could have really hurt us in the form of 2 less AMXes or more.

All in all, whether by luck or skill, that was an amazing mission. Good jobs all around.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Stago Lego posted:

[*]Sa-11's seem capable of shooting without radar.
Isn't this because the SA-11 radar is very hard to detect itself?

Specifically, it can fire without a search radar. The launcher itself contains the fire control radar (this classifies it as a "TELAR" instead of a regular "TEL" for Transporter Erector Launcher And Radar). It just needs to find the target some other way first, as the FCR has a very narrow search radius, which if nothing else can be done by a dude with a pair of binoculars if you're patient enough. I believe the SA-11 that brought down MH17 did so without a search radar.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah funny how modern munitions designed to avoid risk to the user work that way.

This is a large part of why I keep doing posts of older or weirder aircraft that might suit our needs. Everybody wants F-15Es, but how many people were interested in Romanian Fishbeds or Israeli Phantoms before I got here? :v: This stuff gives our air force character instead of just chucking standoff weapons at everything forever and hopefully gives Yooper a few more fun options for procurement rounds.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

power crystals posted:

This is a large part of why I keep doing posts of older or weirder aircraft that might suit our needs. Everybody wants F-15Es, but how many people were interested in Romanian Fishbeds or Israeli Phantoms before I got here? :v: This stuff gives our air force character instead of just chucking standoff weapons at everything forever and hopefully gives Yooper a few more fun options for procurement rounds.

I will never not look for Phantoms first, though I came to the thread late because I thought it was a Strike Command LP. :v:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Putting single Tauruses on runways seems like a waste of good Tauruses unless that runway absolutely needs to be shut down for the next hour but great effort overall.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

power crystals posted:

Specifically, it can fire without a search radar. The launcher itself contains the fire control radar (this classifies it as a "TELAR" instead of a regular "TEL" for Transporter Erector Launcher And Radar). It just needs to find the target some other way first, as the FCR has a very narrow search radius, which if nothing else can be done by a dude with a pair of binoculars if you're patient enough. I believe the SA-11 that brought down MH17 did so without a search radar.

We'll probably need all those standoff weapons if when we go to war against a major power.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dreamsicle posted:

We'll probably need all those standoff weapons if when we go to war against a major power.

Right, which is why I've been advocating that and also a cheaper second tier to do stuff like suppress armor. If we can throw a couple Vietnam-era relics at a mission for the price of one SDB carrier, that gives us more advanced weapons available where they're actually needed.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

aphid_licker posted:

Putting single Tauruses on runways seems like a waste of good Tauruses unless that runway absolutely needs to be shut down for the next hour but great effort overall.

In my defense, that‘s exactly what I wanted to do, because I didn't know the Dictator had called his Flankers back to Luanda. I thought the Kfirs would be contested much more aggressively.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
Destroying an entire company of T-72s has got to be bad for business. You wonder how many of those the Bulgarians brought in theatre? How many tanks does a ground focused PMC supposed to have?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

sparkmaster posted:

Destroying an entire company of T-72s has got to be bad for business. You wonder how many of those the Bulgarians brought in theatre? How many tanks does a ground focused PMC supposed to have?

I'd imagine any number of them. It would really depend on what their clients need or afford.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Huge laffo at our airbase catching on fire over and over. Sounds like some of our ground elements might have visited the theater.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

glynnenstein posted:

Huge laffo at our airbase catching on fire over and over. Sounds like some of our ground elements might have visited the theater.

That's me forgetting to remove the damage from a previous mission.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Well, drat, that ran like a drill. No casualties on our end, and everything on the target range got blowed up.

I fully expect the Bulgarians to pull out at this point, and the Free State to ask if they can join us too.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Right now it needs another 30 minutes to process. But it'll be live shortly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNeWgQIIL-8

Spoilers Below

An exceptional mission that saw the Dictators forces pushed back on multiple fronts. On top of that we have four new Kfir's to add to our arsenal. Huambo and Luena airfields are now hosed right up. No way around it. Between our cruise missiles and the Free State hammering them those locations are unusable for the near future. Luckily for us though Benguela airfield is operational. Von Hoffs advancing armor caught the Government troops off guard and seized the airfield before they could detonate the under-track charges.

So where does this leave us? In the few days since the mission Angola is a different place.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WpTsgN4ZjD93Kh3EyjavoHjLJQA&usp=sharing

Our forces are now engaged on the ground in Eastern Angola. The infrastructure is terrible and both sides are in contact but lack the oomph to punch through. The main battle line is the highway travelling from East to West. Whoever can control that can shuttle goods and equipment across the country with ease. In the North the dictator attacked the Free State and launched raids with his remaining air assets. In addition his SA-11's are now denser than ever. The Free State is holding on by a thread, if Delvanios can punch up to the DRC border than the Free States troops will have no access to the Free State capital.

The DRC is ambivalent about this and has made mild gestures about not traversing but they're not picking sides. It's still up in the air how this is all going to shake out. The Dictator is on the ropes, but our troops are worn out, the advanced has stalled on prepared positions, and the SA-11's are now thick as can be. We'll be paying dearly for each mile further. The Dictators forces in this part of the country are ethnically different from the other parts so the resistance is getting stiffer.

Have no doubts Hired Goons. It's going to get bloody from this point on.

More intel. And a decision.

Two days ago we received a case. In the case was $1 million in low grade, untraceable, diamonds. A message sat on top. Now Hired Goons is when we decide if we always go to the highest bidder or if we finish the job.

If we stay the rewards will be great. But so will the losses. We can leave now and abandon Angola to her fate. Our payout will be $200,000,000 in diamonds.

What'll it be Hired Goons? Finished the job or visit Napoleons grave?

Hats off to Davin Valkri, and everyone else who submitted a mission, for the excellent plan.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Loel posted:

I fully expect the Bulgarians to pull out at this point, and the Free State to ask if they can join us too.

No! Just no!

Edit: As for the choice, I say we stay! Gotta finish the job. :black101:

Stago Lego fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 7, 2017

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why in god's would we trust him? Stay

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

We're already getting 90 mil per mission from the lithium mines, plus whatever we get in mission payouts. Those diamonds aren't worth screwing over our reputation.

Edit: Can we send someone out there to grab the diamonds, then just refuse to leave Angola? We already hosed up the dictator's air force and ground elements, what's he going to do?

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 7, 2017

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Dear Delvanos,

lol no

Signed

Hayard goones

Bitching out on a job makes future employers leery.

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
No
We have a reputation to maintain, Delvanios can go gently caress himself. This is for Silent Bob.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Stay and finish the fight.

We were kindly asked to leave by the Indians, so our contract was complete. Leaving now would only ruin our reputation, such as it is.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Can we mail back a photo of us just flipping him off? Maybe erect a sculpture of such out of GBU-24s and a Meteor? No.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Tell him no, and that deBeers sends its regards.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
No.

I mean, you know, it's pretty clearly a terrible option.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ok so can we order a few extra sets of NBC gear and some cases of antidote to the most common nerve agents?

Also, of course we'll tell him to go gently caress himself, BUT can we try and figure out a way to take his money anyways?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I'm tempted to suggest we swap out a bomb's warhead with those diamonds and drop it somewhere Delvanios will find it with the word NO painted on the bomb. But that sadly isn't feasible.

Give the diamond money to Silent Bob's family, if he has one. Otherwise I suggest we donate the diamonds to some charity, perhaps in the Dictator's name.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 7, 2017

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
We are mercenaries, but we don't cut and run at the first whiff of another offer.

FINISH HIM

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Delvianos:

No.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sadly his message wasn't nearly bombastic enough for us to do that to it.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Promise to do so upon him giving us half the money upfront. Make it look like we are packing up and leaving, only to rebase to Benguela

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Somebody title our next mission Operation Not Enough Zeros

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sadly his message wasn't nearly bombastic enough for us to do that to it.

Not at all, unfortunately.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Now is the time we should totally send him flowers and a card.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I get this reference.

And we should.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Agreed.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Neophyte posted:

Somebody title our next mission Operation Not Enough Zeros

Stay

We haven't even cluster bombed anyone yet!

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'm tempted to suggest we swap out a bomb's warhead with those diamonds and drop it somewhere Delvanios will find it with the word NO painted on the bomb. But that sadly isn't feasible.

Give the diamond money to Silent Bob's family, if he has one. Otherwise I suggest we donate the diamonds to some charity, perhaps in the Dictator's name.

We use the money to lay groundwork financing for the new Angolan airforce under Rohan's supervision.

And I vote Stay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Even if I considered us to be bribable, I dont trust him to hold his end of the bargain. He stomps his marshals with elephants, if we left we'd find an empty box and a twitter full of him declaring victory.