Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

David Corbett posted:

No worries, friend. Our job was to help Von Hoff take over the country, not kill the old dictator. If he wants to run off somewhere far away that's no problem.

Exactly. As the original Strike Commander said,

"I'm a fighter pilot, Tex, not a murderer. Mission accomplished, return to base"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
We, however, are mercenaries first and foremost. If there's profit in it, we're smoking the dictator like a cigar.

Dong Quixote
Oct 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

"I'm a fighter pilot, Tex, not a murderer. Mission accomplished, return to base"

Let's be completely honest with ourselves: we're absolutely murderers. We had absolutely no conflict with those Chinese until the price was right, and then we pasted them on their own sovereign territory.

The Sandman posted:

We, however, are mercenaries first and foremost. If there's profit in it, we're smoking the dictator like a cigar.

This exactly.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I'm extremely confident taking out the Dictator is a bonus for the mission, as it reduces the coordination of the inner circle, even if they're reduced to simply moving assets out of the country. More importantly it eliminates a potential future problem.
Best thing would be to capture him.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 08:40 on May 6, 2017

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Added Space posted:

How is that weapon supposed to work in concept? Even with a parachute a missile can't possibly have a loft time of more then a few minutes. What kind of military shuts off its radar for five minutes and then turns it right back on?

It's hard to get your radars destroyed by ARMs if they're not emitting. The Serbs were very good at this, and despite months of active SEAD/DEAD ops, still had a pretty formidable air defence network by the end of that whole campaign.

The idea is to try and catch them as they turn their radars back on after you leave.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I don't see nothing unethical about bushwhacking Black Trump unless he's flying with a helo full of kitten nuns.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JcDent posted:

I don't see nothing unethical about bushwhacking Black Trump unless he's flying with a helo full of kitten nuns.

After 30s in that helo with him they're neither kittens nor nuns no more. :v:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Z the IVth posted:

After 30s in that helo with him they're neither kittens nor nuns no more. :v:

massive pussy grabbing

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Bacarruda posted:

Yooper, this is a completely random question.

Supposedly, the Taurus cruise missiles can ID and engage a target based on a 3D model of the target. Would it be possible to program the Tauruses to fly down the highways with an "engage any Buks you see" order? If they spot a Buk, would they be able to then peel off and make an attack?

That's an incredibly good question! I don't think so? But let me test it out!

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Yooper posted:

That's an incredibly good question! I don't think so? But let me test it out!

Some poor trucker is going to get a cruise missile through the windshield.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Saros posted:

Some poor trucker is going to get a cruise missile through the windshield.

Doing our part to reduce Angolan traffic congestion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shooting an ejected pilot is a bit different than shooting up someone who's shooting back, or a commanding officer for one belligerent during a major war.

After all, you end Strike Commander by smoking a dictator's transport in an F-22.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Mission Spacing : If I try and pack as many ops as quickly as we can we end up with like a 6 hour dead window where no ops run. I'm cool with this, but I probably won't stream it as it'll be a lot of me pontificating on my fishless day, my 3d printer, and Baloogans new avatar. Unless you guys don't mind, but I'll edit it out for the YouTube version. No guarantees but maybe this evening.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Clearly, we need more planes.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Maybe you can improvise?:shrug:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

a one man version of Escanaba in da Moonlight

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

Night10194 posted:

Shooting an ejected pilot is a bit different than shooting up someone who's shooting back, or a commanding officer for one belligerent during a major war.

After all, you end Strike Commander by smoking a dictator's transport in an F-22.

sometimes the pilot shoots back https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_J._Baggett

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010

Loel posted:

Clearly, we need more planes.

You could probably have our mechanics whip up a few Sopwith Camels from some spare wood and a few lawnmowers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Reapers have GBU-38 GPS guided JDAMs now. We need more of these !

http://breakingdefense.com/2017/05/air-force-drops-first-gps-bomb-from-reaper-gbu-38-jdam/

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Hexenritter posted:

a one man version of Escanaba in da Moonlight

My name is in the credits.

I was in college and needed a job. I had a film class as a blow off elective. Some camera dude came in looking for an intern so I volunteered. I don't know what they really had in mind for me, but once they saw I had a 1978 Ford F100 with a flat bed all I did was deliver and haul poo poo. A lot of people in the community helped out so for like a week I just delivered Knob Creek whisky. Another day I hauled super expensive camera equipment down a mud strewn road and rolled my truck on its side. Mostly I just sat around and watched the filming.

It's a bad movie.

:catdrugs:

Going live in an hour, hour and a half. 2100 EST

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ha, that's awesome. And here I just made that as an off-handed joke based on your username.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

quote:

The waiting is the worst part.

We've received our briefing, delivered at an hour that not long ago I'd consider absolutely unreasonable to be up at. Now I get to decide if it's worth trying to catch a quick nap before everything starts while nobody's watching to keep from falling asleep. I'm pretty sure I saw one of the Gripen guys taking some kind of pills for this earlier; I'm also pretty sure I wasn't supposed to have seen that. But there are people counting on us, on me, now, so none of that is an option. We're going to take advantage of our absolute annihilation of the Angolan airforce by attacking anything that looks to be remotely of value. There was a long list during the briefing, but I'll be honest, I was only paying half attention to that part - they're still not giving me any weapons. No, my job is much worse.

Turns out in the wake of the thrashing we gave them, the Angolans bought a bunch of SA-11 surface to air systems and now have them patrolling the highways. These things might as well be passive - our ARMs are drat near useless against them. Which means I have to spot the loving things. They don't exactly have a lot of possible places to be, based on our intel, but if I miss one... well, someone's gonna be really angry at me. At least once SAR finds them. To say nothing of the cost of the aircraft.

Speaking of SAR, I still can't believe how great a job those guys did recovering our pilots from Operation Grognard. Everybody made it home. Despite me missing some towed 23mm AAA pieces that cost us two aircraft, things turned out okay in the end. Honestly, when the Angolan attack force turned towards our base, I didn't quite realize what that meant. I watched the red dots disappear from the screen in the trailer one by one, but once we ran out of missiles then I watched in... not horror, more just suspense, as two jets headed straight us. The first got dropped by one of our Pantsir batteries, and I almost forgot I was looking at my own self on the screen until the second jet made a pass and I heard a HAWK launcher next to the trailer fire off a missile. I'm not gonna lie, I crapped myself just a little. That thing is loud as hell, and I've never actually been that close to something that's intending to kill someone before. It suddenly dawned on me that, while the fighter guys can at least eject, all I could do is run. But in that moment of terror I assumed they were carrying chemical warheads, or cluster munitions, or something else that my legs didn't stand a chance of escaping.

So after a moment of reflection I instead stayed at my console the whole time. It felt like an hour until that Flanker got shot down by our SAMs, but I kept calling targets for our allied ground forces the whole time, even after the order to RTB, until the cameras were finally too far away to spot anything. I know one of the Argus crew thanked me for remaining on station when we all got debriefed, but I don't know if those guys told anyone else. Maybe they did, because the fighter guys seem to respect me slightly more now. Or maybe they're just as much aware of what kind of threat those last two jets posed. I still don't think most of them think of me as an equal, but that's okay. I don't have to be. I just need to help them do their job, and if that means I have to sit at this console for 16 straight hours watching for triplets of vehicles with missiles on their tops, then that's what I'll do. Because that's what they need. What the Count needs. What Angola needs.

I still wonder if I had watched myself get splattered by a laser-guided bomb on the screen if that would have counted as irony or a just fate. I guess I don't know. Maybe I never will. But I do know that I can die as easily as anyone else here. And I know what that means for me.

My name is MEAT. I'm here to help win back this country. And with all of us, with me, I know we will.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89hNDwhAhL0

https://www.twitch.tv/hiredgoons_pmc

Going live now! :catdrugs:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
First blood to Domai and Otter :smug:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Don't worry guys, I've got the ground crews ready to give those Free State Kfirs the vital care they need after landing.

We'll have whatever waifu :barf: they're dressed in primered over within 15 minutes, I promise. You guys just gotta get them here safe.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 04:40 on May 7, 2017

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Well, we had unusually good luck that time. The Bulgarians are toast, the Kfirs are ours, our air strikes went through, and we somehow even managed to chuck a cruise missile into a defended target. Though I expect we got nothing more than a few security guards and a bunch of paperwork.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
What happenened to the other guys this mission, in a nutshell:

:dunkedon:

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

So You Wanna Do A (War)Crime

Tythas in streamchat inspired me to look this up by talking about napalm but having a decidedly incomplete list of "things what set other things on fire". Here's a summary of some interesting options you can use to reenact your most treasured memories of the Vietnam war.

I'm skipping the F/A-18 variants because everybody wants those anyway, as well as the Fulcrums, Flankers, and Fullbacks for similar reasons of being generically good.

First up, some bad or at least non-exciting entries:
  • A-37B Dragonfly: There's like, 12 of these from various countries. They're all basically the same. They're slow as molasses, but technically better than the SK60s!
  • AV-8B Harrier II+: Eh. Harriers were great in True Lies. They're not that great here, slow and small loadout. But they're another option with a bunch of decent weapons.
  • OV-10D(+) Bronco: Were you interested in the Dragonfly, but thought it just wasn't terrible enough? Have I got a deal for you.
  • Super Mystere B.2: Thanks, Honduras, for operating these until loving 1989. They're from the 1950s! We'd be better off donating them to a museum.
  • Yak-38M Forger A: All the downsides of the Harrier, plus all the downsides of it being Soviet hardware. I don't know about you but I'm super pumped. The really interesting thing though is that these weapons (RBK-500-ZAB) aren't just napalm, they are cluster napalm, which is like the warcrimes-est thing I have ever seen. Well played, Russia.
Now, some stuff that's actually pretty interesting
  • A-6E Intruder: Still a pretty mediocre aircraft, but notable for having the utterly weird loadout of Shrikes and napalm. For whatever requires that combination. Also basically every other weapon, including sea mines. For extra warcrimes.
  • A million goddamned Su-24 variants: Fencers are pretty nice, especially since we don't need to be really concerned about mixing NATO/Russian munitions. They also come with an absolutely ludicrous number of loadouts, including our cluster napalm friends.
  • Su-25T Frogfoot: Hey we already own one of these.
  • MiG-29 Fulcrum C (Baloogan's site appears to die on this one): I know I said I'd skip Fulcrums, but this one is from Myanmar! That's worth something, right?
  • F-4E Phantom II (United States): There's a whole bunch of American Phantoms that can mount napalm bombs. And you know how much I love my Phantoms. But speaking of that, I saved the best for last:
  • F-4E Phantom II (Iran): That's right, Iran is back and ready to fulfill all the Phantom needs you never knew you had.

I think the irony percentage of my support for buying Iranian Phantoms is rapidly diminishing.

Stay safe out there, warcrimes ghosts!

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

power crystals posted:

Now, some stuff that's actually pretty interesting

A-6E Intruder: Still a pretty mediocre aircraft, but notable for having the utterly weird loadout of Shrikes and napalm. For whatever requires that combination. Also basically every other weapon, including sea mines. For extra warcrimes..

Why not use A-6Fs instead? Those are modelled.

Yooper please let us know if they exist in this timeline tia.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Dreamsicle posted:

Why not use A-6Fs instead? Those are modelled.

Eh I have my search set to no hypotheticals so I don't have to deal with figuring out what might reasonably exist vs stuff that was the fever dream of some insane lockmart employee :shrug:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

David Corbett posted:

Well, we had unusually good luck that time. The Bulgarians are toast, the Kfirs are ours, our air strikes went through, and we somehow even managed to chuck a cruise missile into a defended target. Though I expect we got nothing more than a few security guards and a bunch of paperwork.

Is it over is that a full summary?

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Yes. That's a surprisingly good summary.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
The video was too fuzzy for me to see and I couldn't listen to it. Maybe pastebin the plaintext of the mission events?

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Well, I just came home from 7 straight hours of clubbing but I still have enough energy left to watch (a bit of) the live stream. Anyone have any high-lights so I don't waste every single last drop of energy still in my body?

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Much ventured, much gained.

Good job, Golgotha voters!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
As the chief ops planner, I have to say that my butt was CLENCHING several times during that stream, but I'm glad we pulled it out with no casualties. Wish we could see the Dictator's view of the board to see just how much infrastructure damage we did to the runways, but who knows, maybe we prevented them from taking off in the last phase?

Any thoughts of what could have been done better in planning? What seemed unacceptably high risk, what else should have been targetted that wasn't, what shouldn't have been targeted but was?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 7, 2017

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Very nicely done! Was surprised the Free States didn't send a swarm of fighters after the Kfirs, but rathe rwell done. That's a.. Lot of dead tanks. How many platoons were taken out? Nice job on the mobile radars as well. Guess that airstrikes on the capital won't be going forwards for a bit.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

[*]The ALARMs seem to have a poor chance of hitting. Their final hit probability was 25% or lower whenever I looked.
[*]I suspect the most probable outcome of the flights of the AMX's in the east would have been losing them both to the SAM shots they took.
[*]The AMX's went in there blind, which was a bad idea. I think a Tornado or Gripen with radar on would have done much to solve this issue.
[*]I would have liked to see the Pig Pen be in a more central position, the EA-6B and gripen CAP constantly had to fly back to base to get fuel.
[*] I would have preferred a cruise missile strike on Benguela AFB over Luamba/o, I don't recall planes launching from Laumba/o but they did launch from Benguela last mission.
[*]Free State seems to have 2 new KF-16's along with the Kfirs
[*]The Kfirs are the Colombian C.10 variant, they're modernized
[*]Sa-11's seem capable of shooting without radar.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Isn't this because the SA-11 radar is very hard to detect itself?

BTW
I think we can genuinely pat ourself on the back for this one. Lots of damage to the dictator and the bulgarians took a real beating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stago Lego posted:

Isn't this because the SA-11 radar is very hard to detect itself?

Yeah, it's a very narrow beam.