Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Here's an extra long read I found while working through the Ancient History thread in A/T. It's from the 80s and about the Army Corps of Engineers and their never-ending battle with the Mississippi.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1987/02/23/atchafalaya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
"Frank Sinatra has a cold" is one of the best longform articles ever written, especially as it was written without interviewing the notoriously private man himself.
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a638/frank-sinatra-has-a-cold-gay-talese/

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Actually surprised this hasn't been posted yet. Ya'll like catfishing stories?

It's by CNN, but it's actually a great article.

"The naked truth"

"She was the perfect hero: a cancer survivor baring her double-mastectomy scars on a 1,000-mile walk to Washington. Until her own words got in the way."

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/31/health/hfr-paulette-leaphart-naked-truth/

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

"The naked truth"

"She was the perfect hero: a cancer survivor baring her double-mastectomy scars on a 1,000-mile walk to Washington. Until her own words got in the way."

This one is a journalist's wet dream. Got sent to cover the dog show and uncovered a scandal.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
I don't know if this piece on Janet Reno (from 1993, when she was nominated as attorney general) exactly counts as a longform, but it's longish, and a great read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1993/04/21/janet-reno-in-the-fires-of-justice/c01e78a1-0567-4cf2-8b21-e544ef9215c8/

quote:

At 54, she is a tenacious, serious woman who looms so large that behind her back colleagues call her "Bigfoot." But what's most striking about the president's new chief legal adviser are her smaller, 3-by-5 moments. Like the warm Miami nights when Reno would lie in her back yard on the trampoline. She'd recite Coleridge in the moonlight with relatives until she fell asleep, surrounded by 35 pet peacocks, who are all named Horace.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pookel posted:

I don't know if this piece on Janet Reno (from 1993, when she was nominated as attorney general) exactly counts as a longform, but it's longish, and a great read.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/1993/04/21/janet-reno-in-the-fires-of-justice/c01e78a1-0567-4cf2-8b21-e544ef9215c8/

Man that's dope I wanna fall asleep that way

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'll settle for the 35 pet peacocks named Horace

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

"The naked truth"

Well, she outdid deathmarch goon at the very least.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

pookel posted:

That's incredible.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Straight White Shark posted:

Well, she outdid deathmarch goon at the very least.

Deathmarch Goon was a fantastic bit of insanity

My favorite detail was that his route involved walking down interstates through Texas and the deep South in summer

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Deathmarch Goon was a fantastic bit of insanity

My favorite detail was that his route involved walking down interstates through Texas and the deep South in summer
Do I have to read all 78 pages to find out if he survived? I know this is the longform thread but geez.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

pookel posted:

Do I have to read all 78 pages to find out if he survived? I know this is the longform thread but geez.

It's a goon project, what do you think happened?

he lasted about three days and gave up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

C. Everett Koop posted:

He never made it out of the park he started in

The whole saga is amazing and there's some quality poo poo in there joke wise

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
35 pet peacocks named horace is my new life goal

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

C. Everett Koop posted:

Other options I considered were:
- He died
- He never started and it's 70 pages of goons mocking him
- He stopped updating after a while and no one knows what happened.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Magical Season of the Macon Ironmen. Small town Illinois high school team almost wins the big one. One of the players, Brian Snitker, is now managing the Atlanta Braves.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

pookel posted:

Other options I considered were:
- He died
- He never started and it's 70 pages of goons mocking him
- He stopped updating after a while and no one knows what happened.

So the actual story is his body gave up because it was day four and all he had eaten were some grapes

This is the dude whose diet beforehand consisted of like pizza and nuggets

He never made it out of the park he started in, the stroller broke down day two, he made it like four miles total. For reference I walked four miles home from school once because I didn't want to wait for the late bus

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer
Especially relevant with the (excellent) Netflix revival, I present

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Definitive Oral History of a TV Masterpiece

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

So the actual story is his body gave up because it was day four and all he had eaten were some grapes

This is the dude whose diet beforehand consisted of like pizza and nuggets

He never made it out of the park he started in, the stroller broke down day two, he made it like four miles total. For reference I walked four miles home from school once because I didn't want to wait for the late bus

Wasn't it also a park that was a popular casual hiking destination, so he was getting passed by day hikers the entire way? Or was that just goon speculation knowing the area? I like to imagine him just constantly getting passed on the trail by kids and retirees, though.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Antivehicular posted:

Wasn't it also a park that was a popular casual hiking destination, so he was getting passed by day hikers the entire way? Or was that just goon speculation knowing the area? I like to imagine him just constantly getting passed on the trail by kids and retirees, though.

I think that it might have been in the Marin Headlands in SF.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I think that it might have been in the Marin Headlands in SF.

I'm pretty sure it was. He had gone about 3 miles total. He gave up next to a shower/bathroom camping area. If I remember correctly he was sitting on an outcrop looking down on it and all these people keep stopping and asking if he needed help. A goon in the area was going to go and see if he could find the baby stroller he'd been using that the wheels had come off of. It was never found.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I'm pretty sure it was. He had gone about 3 miles total. He gave up next to a shower/bathroom camping area. If I remember correctly he was sitting on an outcrop looking down on it and all these people keep stopping and asking if he needed help. A goon in the area was going to go and see if he could find the baby stroller he'd been using that the wheels had come off of. It was never found.

The goon who went looking did eat a sweet burrito though

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Innocent Man, by Pamela Colloff
On August 13, 1986, Michael Morton came home from work to discover that his wife had been brutally murdered in their bed. His nightmare had only begun.

Part 1
Part 2

Another Texas-hosed-up-prosecutor story.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Badger of Basra posted:

On August 13, 1986, Michael Morton came home from work to discover that his wife had been brutally murdered in their bed. His nightmare had only begun.

Part 1
Part 2

Huh, small world. I know the newspaper photographer whose photo is at the top of part 2 -- he was an intern at the paper I worked at up in northeast TX before getting the job in Austin.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I found this on, appropriately enough, Longform, but I thought it was a great read.

Everyone remembers TO CATCH A PREDATOR, and I'm sure everyone remembers that it was ultimately taken off air because a man killed himself. I remember at the time plenty of people were not all that sympathetic given that hey, the dude was going to happily take advantage of what he thought was a kid so there's one less of those on the street, but the story more complicated than that, and goes into the borderline illegal acts from the Sheriff's team as well as the group Perverted Justice as well as Chris Hansen and NBC, who grossly overstepped the mark and then tried to justify it later. It's a fascinating, frustrating and ultimately sad read.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a3269/to-catch-a-predator/

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Badger of Basra posted:

Part 1
Part 2

More good stuff from Texas Monthly. I did a little light Googling and found a couple follow-up articles as well. Not longforms, per se, but they help to provide a little closure.

Here and here. Don't read these until you finish both of the first ones, though.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

More good stuff from Texas Monthly. I did a little light Googling and found a couple follow-up articles as well. Not longforms, per se, but they help to provide a little closure.

Here and here. Don't read these until you finish both of the first ones, though.

poo poo, this was a good read. I'm glad there was closure too. I saw the publication date and thought "poo poo, that's far enough in the past maybe there's been action on other bits" and there was and it was great.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Not terribly long (more average-length magazine piece), But Caity Weaver is my new third-favorite magazine writer (after Skip Hollandsworth and Pamela Coloff at Texas Monthly, of course). Somebody linked me to her story on Dwayne Johnson, and I've been reading her back catalog for the past hour, she has that sort of cynicism/DGAF attitude that I, as a former journalist, love.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Delivery McGee posted:

Not terribly long (more average-length magazine piece), But Caity Weaver is my new third-favorite magazine writer (after Skip Hollandsworth and Pamela Coloff at Texas Monthly, of course). Somebody linked me to her story on Dwayne Johnson, and I've been reading her back catalog for the past hour, she has that sort of cynicism/DGAF attitude that I, as a former journalist, love.

That was a good read. Thanks!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Rock is a national treasure and if I were president I would devote our defense budget to recreating him in a test tube so that he would always exist

Old Story
Jun 2, 2006

Oven Wrangler
This is a good thread.

More essay than article, but a good read: Lee Sandlin explores the diminishing cultural relevance of the Second World War, with lots of diversions into Norse mythology, Hitler's love of Opera and the industrial "weirdness" of modern warfare.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Delivery McGee posted:

This is really great, I love how it's written and the fact that the rock just comes off as even more likeable than he already does.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
My Family's Slave

An upper-class Filipino family trafficks a domestic worker into the United States, where she works for them without pay for the next 35 years.

It's clear that the (now deceased) author, a son in the family, carried a great deal of guilt, but a lot of readers are (rightfully in my opinion) excoriating him for, as an adult, standing by and doing nothing for years while his mother continued to exploit her. He and his siblings did take advantage of an amnestry law for illegal aliens to eventually get her US citizenship (against their mother's objections) but by that time she was already in her seventies. And they did it in such a way as to carefully avoid revealing that she was a trafficking victim who had worked for their parents without pay for the entire period she had been in the United States

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Sucrose posted:

My Family's Slave

An upper-class Filipino family trafficks a domestic worker into the United States, where she works for them without pay for the next 35 years.

It's clear that the (now deceased) author, a son in the family, carried a great deal of guilt, but a lot of readers are (rightfully in my opinion) excoriating him for, as an adult, standing by and doing nothing for years while his mother continued to exploit her. He and his siblings did take advantage of an amnestry law for illegal aliens to eventually get her US citizenship (against their mother's objections) but by that time she was already in her seventies. And they did it in such a way as to carefully avoid revealing that she was a trafficking victim who had worked for their parents without pay for the entire period she had been in the United States

I just read that last night, it was a good read if rather troubling.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

On a somewhat lighter note, have this BBC write-up about the end of the circus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/circus_leaves_town

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
http://torontolife.com/city/crime/brilliant-neurosurgeon-beloved-family-doctor-untold-story-volatile-marriage/

An incredibly depressing read about how one half of a perfect looking "power couple" of doctors was found murdered in a suitcase.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

On a somewhat lighter note, have this BBC write-up about the end of the circus.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/circus_leaves_town

There was nothing light about this, this was the saddest poo poo

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

It's lighter than slavery, but yeah it's sad. I grew up in the Ringling Bros. hometown and wanted to join the circus when I was little so I've been sad ever since I first heard about it ending.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hell the part about everyone living on a train like this big weird family makes me want to join the circus now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bamabalacha posted:

http://torontolife.com/city/crime/brilliant-neurosurgeon-beloved-family-doctor-untold-story-volatile-marriage/

An incredibly depressing read about how one half of a perfect looking "power couple" of doctors was found murdered in a suitcase.

That story, in its essence, plays out pretty often.