Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
I've tried to enjoy actively starting fights but the combat mechanics feel way too junky to be focus of the round and the tension of stealth and subversion is way more entertaining. The only time I really go balls to the wall is when my squad dies and I'm left in charge of entertaining them.

Yodzilla posted:

I'm still amazed by the number of people who would rather hide in cover and die to the zone wall than actively engage in combat. Why just give up like that?

We've had a few instances where the wall has snuck up on us because we're trying to return fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

Miguel Prado posted:

Anybody else getting the "connected. waiting for response..." right now?

Yup. Right after getting beaten to death by the only other person that dropped within a mile of me.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

T800 posted:

In a similar issue; why do people who are literally 2-3 steps from being in the zone just stop what they're doing when they see someone and hold stock still and start shooting at them whether or not the person they're shooting at has spotted them? The amount of times I've been knocked down or straight up killed by someone who immediately dies to the zone after who could have just held W for half of a second before shooting at me and survived is astonishing.

You may not win (cause you're gonna get zoned out) but you can definitely be a spoiler on some other group of jerks.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

nerve posted:

this game is full of huge babies that are terrified of getting into fights

I want to kill myself every time I drop in to a town like Georgopol or Pochinki and see other squads, expect a nice early fight, and immediately hear then run away/drive away

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

causticBeet posted:

I want to kill myself every time I drop in to a town like Georgopol or Pochinki and see other squads, expect a nice early fight, and immediately hear then run away/drive away

There's some matches where you're sorta hosed for early guns; one time we dropped on the crater and ended up with absolutely nothing besides shotguns. We died to people just sniping from the ridge.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Sacriel is currently doing a zombie apocalypse custom game and it is pretty fun to watch.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is anyone getting stuck at this poo poo when loading the game:

quote:

11:56:21: Starting BattlEye Service...
11:56:22: Launching game...
11:56:24: Note: File blocks can be ignored if they don't cause problems with the game.
11:56:24: [INFO] Blocked loading of file: "C:\Windows\System32\wininet.dll".

I tried uninstalling battleye(using the bat file in the PUBG folder), but that didn't seem to do anything.

Oh well, loving latest windows update seems to have broken all the things or something.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 7, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Party Plane Jones posted:

There's some matches where you're sorta hosed for early guns; one time we dropped on the crater and ended up with absolutely nothing besides shotguns. We died to people just sniping from the ridge.

I don't loot crater, because there's only one exit and high ground all around. I learned this the hard way in beta.

It's a great place to get early kills, though if you have a good looting run at tunnels.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

jubjub64 posted:

Sacriel is currently doing a zombie apocalypse custom game and it is pretty fun to watch.

Seriously, this is hilarious. https://multistre.am/sacriel/break/stodeh/layout6/

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a launch option to disable the into movie?

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

qkkl posted:

Battlefield 1942 was able to support 64 players on a server back in 2002, I think by now it should be possible to host 100 players on a server with a tick rate that's higher than a 60 hz monitor refresh rate. The bigger issue is just optimization. Sometimes I get a nice smooth 60+ framerate, but then I turn 1 degree and suddenly I'm getting 30 fps. I really didn't like playing the game when it looked like minecraft, so my best bet for now is to just camp and one-shot people with shotguns.

because absolutely nothing has changed between 2002 and now right?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Oh god I just got to the final two for the first time and failed to win, I followed the bush craft advice which was helped by getting a DMR and a 8x scope, however I killed 5 guys in the final ten and got cocky and forgot I didn't have a vest and got in a shootout at point blank with the other guy who had those things to decide the match, fml.

I think that was the most nerve wracking experience I have had in a videogame.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 7, 2017

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Camping gets a lot more exciting when you can turn up all settings to Ultra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBqbMZ23n5o

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I like it when you unload an automatic weapon at someone point blank and their character model bends all over the place like Gumbi.

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost

qkkl posted:

Camping gets a lot more exciting when you can turn up all settings to Ultra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBqbMZ23n5o

That's pretty much every game for me. Except I usually fire wide left, then wide right trying to compensate then run around a bit waiting for the reload and die.

Today I learned that randomly pressing A and D very slightly while running through open fields keeps 70% of invisible sniper rounds from hitting me. Unfortunately for me, the fields are endless and 3 out of 10 rounds is more than enough to send me back to the load screen.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

TracerM17 posted:

That's pretty much every game for me. Except I usually fire wide left, then wide right trying to compensate then run around a bit waiting for the reload and die.

Today I learned that randomly pressing A and D very slightly while running through open fields keeps 70% of invisible sniper rounds from hitting me. Unfortunately for me, the fields are endless and 3 out of 10 rounds is more than enough to send me back to the load screen.

You really have to make an effort to route yourself around open fields. Sometimes it's just straight up impossible but if you have the time it's always worth it to examine the map for alternate routes that give you some sort of cover, even if it means a slightly longer run. Something as simple as having a few trees around you can make a massive difference once someone opens fire.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Granted I've only been playing this for two days, but I need to be more aggressive since this isn't DayZ and all my ~precious gear~ will be gone in 35 minutes anyway. When I solo queue I've been jumping into the woods a lot and looting rural poo poo, I need to stop doing that and deal with cities.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

PantsBandit posted:

You really have to make an effort to route yourself around open fields. Sometimes it's just straight up impossible but if you have the time it's always worth it to examine the map for alternate routes that give you some sort of cover, even if it means a slightly longer run. Something as simple as having a few trees around you can make a massive difference once someone opens fire.
Couldn't agree more. When I do well it's because, either by sheer dumb luck or by some amount of planning, I never have to wander around in the open. When I do badly usually I'm racing the circle and just haul rear end into a wheat field, at which point several bushes open up and I'm toast before I know what hit me.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The best strategy I've come up with is to release your parachute really high and go to a far away location that has decent loot, but minimizes the chance of competing with someone on the ground. Then you find a vehicle and drive it to the next zone and hide it so it's not stolen. Camp with a shotgun. Repeat when the next zone is out of your area. It's really boring though.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
i recommend getting into lots of fights

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

nerve posted:

i recommend getting into lots of fights

big dick plays all game or go home

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 8, 2017

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Yep. If you don't kill a man with your bare hands at the beginning of the round I don't think you're playing right.

I play this game as a murderous mad max. I think my best was 17th. If I live past the first 5 minutes I generally get 6-8 kills though.

Hope these devs actually make the game better instead of adding electric blue AK skins like h1z1.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Going to a far away location right off the bat sounds like a real bitch way to play pubg

Get in the poo poo right at the start, learn to smell the fear of your enemies. Let them know that you are hunting them, and they best be worried as you rain death on them like its watersports at a Motel 6

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also make sure to actually point your gun at them when you shoot

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
https://streamable.com/bbjbc

Had a decent play earlier, but of course blue kills me as usual in this game.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Yodzilla posted:

I'm still amazed by the number of people who would rather hide in cover and die to the zone wall than actively engage in combat. Why just give up like that?

i've miscalculated meds and done this

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Akumos posted:

https://streamable.com/bbjbc

Had a decent play earlier, but of course blue kills me as usual in this game.

Have you found hacks for this game yet you shitbird?

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
What's "zeroing distance"?

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

qkkl posted:

It accounts for bullet drop. Say your target is 500 meters away, you change the zeroing distance on your scope or irons to 500 meters and the bullets will actually hit what you are aiming at instead of below it.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
Fun strategy i just tried when it was down to about 20 people was parking my dacia by the road so it looked like a vehicle spawn and sitting in the back seat. Got 3 kills on unsuspecting people just running past before someone sniping in the distance must of caught on from the sound of my gunfire.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

qkkl posted:

The distance at which your bullet will hit where you aim. It basically adjusts for bullet drop.

If you aim at 400m when zeroed at 100m you'll have to aim higher to account for drop. You could zero to 400m and only have to adjust for the travel time of the bullet.

I believe zeroing is kind of hosed up in this game though, so YMMV.

tehinternet fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 8, 2017

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Does anyone else get lag that only happens when firing? Gun is on full auto, click to fire and just nothing. Frantically click and it'll rip off a burst of like 6 rounds. It is the most frustrating poo poo.

Nothing feels as great as rounding a corner with the drop on someone and then just standing there looking at them like an idiot while they shoot you in the face.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Tres Burritos posted:

Does anyone else get lag that only happens when firing? Gun is on full auto, click to fire and just nothing. Frantically click and it'll rip off a burst of like 6 rounds. It is the most frustrating poo poo.

Nothing feels as great as rounding a corner with the drop on someone and then just standing there looking at them like an idiot while they shoot you in the face.

Usually early in the game. Usually when I'm stalking someone with a shotgun. I usually end up dead because of it.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

I'm totally willing to overlook some of the jankiness of this game but it's ridiculous that firing a weapon isn't guaranteed to work. Just going to have to wait a couple of patches before picking this up again. :shrug:

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AnElegantPeacock posted:

It accounts for bullet drop. Say your target is 500 meters away, you change the zeroing distance on your scope or irons to 500 meters and the bullets will actually hit what you are aiming at instead of below it.

Ah, this explains why I always miss when I aim for someone's head when they are 20m away.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Most guns are zeroed for 100m at start so if you just aim at their chest between 0-300 meters you'll hit them either in head or chest/stomach

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

Fauxshiz posted:

Have you found hacks for this game yet you shitbird?

yeah but they cost too much :^)

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Is there any way to tell if you hit someone with the crossbow besides them dying?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Had my first squad games tonight with rando goons and it's an entirely different game that way, a lot more silly fun but less of the hands-shaking "I need a walk" tension

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

qkkl posted:

Is there any way to tell if you hit someone with the crossbow besides them dying?

Basically no, however, it's almost certainly a one hit kill if you don't hit their vest from what I remember.

• Locked thread