Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Cool Buff Man posted:

The real homer in me wanted to say that the Celtics ended Lebron's first Cavs era

the homer in me is the homer in you
my friend
I send this smile over to you :)

the Knicks are the greatest team on the planet, they are the team behind the team, and they always lend important pieces to the championship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
CJ McCollum and like 2 picks plus whatever scraps for Kristaps let's go!

vulvamancer
Oct 2, 2006

Yes! It all makes sense! We may be freaks, but we're freaks with teeth, and claws, and magic wands! And together, we can stand up to Farquaad!
https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/861238545947787265

Zach Lowe reporting that Spo/D'Antoni share the first annual NBCA coach of the year award (the one the coaches vote on). It will be pretty interesting if Brad Stevens wins the NBA COTY award now. Would show the difference between how the coaches see each other and the media voters.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

brad stevens looks like he gets picked on by the other coaches

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
Can I get a visual on the Lithuanian skeleton shirt. Thanks in advance

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

Can I get a visual on the Lithuanian skeleton shirt. Thanks in advance

That's the OG one, there are others

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I need that in every sense of the word

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

based on my understanding of lithuanian players, not showing the feet is correct

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Does anyone want another 'Lebron is freaking awesome' stat?

NBA.com article posted:

TORONTO — LeBron James is the best basketball player in the world, whether he’s shooting well from the perimeter or not. His combination of size, athleticism, skill and intelligence are unmatched. He has shot 71 percent* in the restricted area over his 14-year career and has almost 20,000 career points just from free throws and shots in the paint.

*Among 192 players with at least 1,500 restricted area shots since James entered the league in 2003, only Shaquille O’Neal (72.8 percent) has shot better than James (71.5 percent) in the restricted area.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

AggressivelyStupid posted:

And just a reminder, it exists because the Grateful Dead are awesome.

quote:

As you probably recall, it was back in 1992 that Sarunas Marciulionis, who came to this country to play guard for the Warriors, decided to attempt to put together a basketball team to represent his newly-independent homeland. Frankly, it didn't look good.

Money was scarce, and it wasn't exactly pouring in, although Marciulionis made several appeals for help. It was at that point that the Grateful Dead stepped in. They mailed the Lithuanian team a nice check, and threw in a load of tie- died T-shirts and shorts showing a skeleton dunking a basketball.

Donnie Nelson, son of former Warriors coach Don Nelson and a coach for the Lithuanians in the offseason, recalled the reaction.

"After all those years of those Soviet colors (in daily life), nothing but blues and grays," he says, "the guys went nuts for those shirts. They ended up wearing them to bed, to practice, everywhere."

To make a long story short, the team not only raised the money to compete, it managed to qualify for the Olympics. And once the players arrived in Barcelona, Spain, and started to knock off some of the teams, they turned into a cult favorite.

The big game was against the Russian team, because the Lithuanians had been forced to play for the Soviet Union for years. Many of them, including Marciulionis and 7- foot-4 center Arvidas Sabonis, were key players on the Russian team that beat the Americans in 1988 to win the gold.

When they won that game, there was delirium in Lithuania, not to mention the team's locker room.

"The guys went crazy," Nelson recalls, "and then all of a sudden everybody quieted down. And at that moment the President of the country walked in and everybody started singing the national anthem. There wasn't a dry eye in the place."

And then, well, they got a little carried away again. No one is sure how it happened, but somehow the President of Lithuania ended up doused in champagne. His suit was completely soaked. He had to change clothes. And that's how he ended up leaving the locker room wearing a tie-died Grateful Dead T-shirt.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://twitter.com/scott_stinson/status/861298470061264896

It is very important to understand that contested long 2s are in fact the best shots for the Raptors. It is where their soul lies.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
this is trump's america

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I wish the NBA had officiating or calls called as consistently as NFL. NBA can be the most exciting sport but watching a smaller market team or lesser player is so frustrating. The star will get the foul call for the same play when the younger guy will only get it 40% of the tube

This series in a nutshell. DeRozan gets called for a foul on a play he was uppercut kicked in the balls. Refs blow.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it's going to be so weird when the Spurs win the finals
like, everyone's gonna be like "that's so weird"

french toast
Jul 21, 2001
I EAT 3 CANADIAN CHILDREN EACH DAY!

patonthebach posted:

I wish the NBA had officiating or calls called as consistently as NFL. NBA can be the most exciting sport but watching a smaller market team or lesser player is so frustrating. The star will get the foul call for the same play when the younger guy will only get it 40% of the tube

This series in a nutshell. DeRozan gets called for a foul on a play he was uppercut kicked in the balls. Refs blow.

Yes noted superstar Iman Shumpert getting star calls on plays he's clearly fouled.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Korver gunning for that rare 30 point, 100% assisted game

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Someone unironically saying the NFL is fairly reffed :lol:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

patonthebach posted:

lol. Wishing the NBA was officiated like the NFL is probably the worst opinion in this thread in a long rear end time. NFL is awful to watch right now.

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I really really really like the Lithuanian skeleton shirt.

DeimosRising posted:

Korver gunning for that rare 30 point, 100% assisted game

What percentage of Klay Thompson's scores were assisted in his 60 points on 11 dribbles game?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
How can you know when the NFL broadcast doesn't even show all the players

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

patonthebach posted:

AggressivelyStupid fucked around with this message at 21:52 on May 7, 2017

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

There should be no refs in any sport

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tae posted:

Someone unironically saying the NFL is fairly reffed :lol:
I'm unironically triggered by this boring rear end only-good-for-videogames-n-concussions sport tho so plz respect my safe zone

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

tumor looking batty posted:

There should be no refs in any sport

Agreed . Robot strike zones , foul calls, holding calls using electric shirts etc

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
And lol @ anyone that doesn't think reputation calls are a huge problem in NBA. If you don't I'd love to know what team you support

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

patonthebach posted:

So far today he's shot 7 free throws with the entire Cavs team shooting 4, he's not getting ignored.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

patonthebach posted:

The casual arrow points the opposite way. Players are stars because they know how to draw fouls.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
NBA officiating isn't perfect by any means but lmao @ the idea that the NFL is somehow the ideal to strive toward

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Durandal1707 posted:

NBA officiating isn't perfect by any means but lmao @ the idea that the NFL is somehow the ideal to strive toward

Of the big 3 or 4 or 5 sports do you not think NBA had the most reputation calls that affect the game?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

patonthebach posted:

Of the big 3 or 4 or 5 sports do you not think NBA had the most reputation calls that affect the game?

no because i watched the super bowl this year

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
And I know I sound like the worst type of homer fan. The raps had no chance against a great constructed team with tons of 3 point threats and they best player since Jordan. We played like garbage and deserved to be swept. But a few of these Gabe's we should have only lost by 24 points not 27

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
DeRozan was #6 in the league in drawing fouls. If anyone's getting reputation calls, it's him.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Shear Modulus posted:

no because i watched the super bowl this year

Pretty sure the super bowl was cancelled actually

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

dokmo posted:

DeRozan was #6 in the league in drawing fouls. If anyone's getting reputation calls, it's him.

Drawing fouls is a skill that can be developed though

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

patonthebach posted:

It's a thing for sure, but mostly it's rookie contract guys getting mugged for no call, or great shooters getting a late whistle on a miss caise "no way he misses that without a foul". Fouling in general is trending down and it's almost never a problem that disturbs my enjoyment of the game. I am a Magic fan fwiw

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

dokmo posted:

I agree he does completely. He might get the most bullshit foul calls in the league. It's a problem.

My point was not that DeRozan ain't getting his calls. It was more the storyline of this series. Everything had gone wrong. So of course he would get a foul for receiving a kick to the nuts

DeRozan is top 3 for bs foul calls in the league. That part of the reason I think NBA has a reputation call problem. I see it all the time.

Raps had no chance anyways

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 7, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

How you liking Freddie DoubleV getting time here after getting his ring? Missing a chance for Bruno to have his coming out party on the big stage imo

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
DeRozan gets less calls because it's the playoffs and teams face each other minimum 4 times. Coaches prepare specific tactics against players, and every Cavs player is probably told to hang off DeRozan and let him make mistakes when the double team comes instead of trying to body him up aggressively.

Playoff games are not about strengths, it's about attacking weaknesses, where it's the opposite in the regular season.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Tae posted:

DeRozan gets less calls because it's the playoffs and teams face each other minimum 4 times. Coaches prepare specific tactics against players, and every Cavs player is probably told to hang off DeRozan and let him make mistakes when the double team comes instead of trying to body him up aggressively.

Playoff games are not about strengths, it's about attacking weaknesses, where it's the opposite in the regular season.

And our coaching is garbage and gave up before the half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The NFL has pass interference rules that are absolutely awful and hugely game changing more than anything is in the NBA, a persistent, ongoing philosophical debate of what even IS a catch man, even more arbitrary rules about what is and is not reviewable, and punitive rules about basically having any sort of fun on the field. The idea that it's worthy of praise or emulation is insane.

• Locked thread