Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Loopoo posted:

I'm tearing my hair out trying to find a reliable Persian Kabab Barg recipe. I used to frequently visit a Persian restaurant in the city I used to live in, but I've now moved far away. Their barg kababs were honestly some of the tastiest stuff I've ever had. I found a recipe online that told me I should marinate the lamb overnight in onions, garlic, lime juice, olive oil, salt, and saffron.

I did that. I cooked the lamb today (granted I didn't use a charcoal pit, I just fried in like a plebeian), it didn't taste anything like what I was expecting. If I'm honest, it didn't even taste good at all. Any Persian chefs here willing to spill the beans on their super secret kabab barg recipe? It'd mean a lot.

Gaze upon this dish and feel pity for not having this dish to enjoy.

An Iranian guy I used to know made his kebab in the oven, the result wasn't as good as charcoal grilled of course but it was very decent.

I think the key to the recipe was to put grated onion into the minced lamb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

At the risk of some Englishman getting mad at me, isn't Worcestershire sauce just soy sauce playing dress-up?

Not really, but they both fall into the umami bomb condiment category.

IMO you can use soy sauce as a substitute but the difference is that soy sauce is a LOT saltier, so you can't use as much
worcestershire is acidic and spicy (mostly due to the vinegar and tamarind)

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

there is such thing as milk steak. I've never made it and probably never will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2ezpExQ_k0&t=362s

Grue Bouncer
Nov 19, 2002

don't fuck you me, you

ExecuDork posted:

At the risk of some Englishman getting mad at me, isn't Worcestershire sauce just soy sauce playing dress-up?

Worcestershire is super complex. Tamarind, anchovies, vinegar, garlic, onions, molasses... all sort of poo poo fermented in huge tubs until it really mellows out.

Pizdec posted:

Actually I'm willing to try whatever, I'm just trying to get the lay of the land on what works with beef and what doesn't (I've only ever marinated poultry), and all the recipes are Worcestershire-based it seems. I'm guessing you can't just dunk the fucker into buttermilk and get the delicious tender results you get with chicken?

Chicken is more delicate that beef, so it can take subtle flavors like buttermilk more easily. It's also a lot easier to overpower it.

As far as tenderness goes, beef is different. Like most mammal meats, your cut will fall into two broad categories: quick cooking, and slow cooking.

The harder working a muscle is– which you can estimate, with middling accuracy, by how close the cut is to the hooves– the tougher it is. Tough cuts contain large amounts of collagen-based connective tissue, so to be tender they require long, slow cooking which turns the tough collagen-based connective tissue into gelatin... think pot roast and beef stew. If you were to take stew meat or a pot roast and throw it on a grill, and cook it until it was medium rare, you'd *wish* you were chewing on a tire.

Quick cooking cuts have much less connective tissue, so they're tender if you just cook them until they're as cooked as you want them. Sometimes, with cuts like flank steak, the muscle fibers are very coarse, so it's best to slice them thin.

If what you have is a nice tender cut, like most not-cheap steaks sold as tenderloin, sirloin, filet mignon, delmonico, t-bone, porterhouse, etc. etc. etc. I'd highly recommend avoiding marinating... just concentrate on getting a nice sear on it. That will give you more than enough flavor with just salt and pepper. Don't be afraid of heat– that's where the flavor comes from. If it starts to burn, flip it. (the people who insist you need to flip a steak as few times as possible during cooking are full of poo poo.) Never in my entire life have I seen a steak house marinate steak.

If you really must add something to the steak, I'd recommend a rub. Doesn't have to be fancy to be tasty... rubbing it down with cajun seasoning, montreal steak seasoning, or even just some garlic powder is often enough to give it a nice boost. Do a google search for nice steak rubs if you're looking for one goes for a certain flavor angle. Don't go too heavy, and use a little oil when applying the rub, or you just end up with a bunch of burnt spices on the outside of your steak.

If you're really dead set on using a marinade, there are lots of options out there. Anything decent vinaigrette makes a fine marinade for whatever meat you want to throw in it. Lots of places around me use a combination of cola, ketchup, bbq sauce, Worcestershire sauce and Italian dressing to marinate steak tips, which are a semi-tender end piece of the sirloin cut up into chunks, and usually grilled.

If you have a more specialized product in mind, such as fajitas or carne asada, then check our marinades for those specific recipes. They are numerous, and most of them will at least get you a decent weeknight dinner.

If what you have is a tougher steak– chuck steak, round steak, or something like that, then I'd recommend slow cooking. Simmering. Braising. That sort of thing.

*EDIT: the most important thing is always salt. It not only boosts the flavor by itself, but it draws moisture out to make a crust which is totally essential for a good steak.

Grue Bouncer fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 4, 2017

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Cheap and easy anchovy or sardine recipes, go! I got a poo poo ton on super sale but i'm baffled with what to do with them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Captainsalami posted:

Cheap and easy anchovy or sardine recipes, go! I got a poo poo ton on super sale but i'm baffled with what to do with them.

Puttanesca for the anchovies?

quote:

The ingredients typically include tomatoes, olive oil, anchovies, olives, capers and garlic.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Captainsalami posted:

This is my favorite puttanesca recipe. I'd skip the lemon zest at the end — busies up the flavors a little too much in my opinion.

Sardines and pasta is a traditional Sicilian dish. I had some canned smoked mussels I needed to get rid of last year, and I discovered this really tasty recipe. You could probably substitute anchovies for mussels and have it turn out well.

Fisherman's eggs is also really easy, but you need an ovenproof dish or pan.

If you're feeling :effort:, sardines on toast with mustard or hot sauce is bachelor af but healthy. This Alton Brown sardine-avocado toast is good too if you want something that feels more like a meal.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Captainsalami posted:

For sardines, my favorite recipe is to open the tin and cram them into my mouth as fast as loving possible. 5/5 would cram again

Grue Bouncer
Nov 19, 2002

don't fuck you me, you

Captainsalami posted:

In my opinion, sardines are a far better option for making fish salad sandwiches than water packed tuna... but straight out of the can is kind of hard to beat for the convenience to deliciousness ratio.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

sards on toast with pickled onions and mustard. spaghetti con le sarde. kimchi fried rice. fried rice with nam prik pao. sards broiled with eel sauce over rice.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011
Taking about sardines, saw these the other day https://imgur.com/a/Oj9da How would I go about cooking them? Fry, bake, grill?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

rgocs posted:

Taking about sardines, saw these the other day https://imgur.com/a/Oj9da How would I go about cooking them? Fry, bake, grill?

Those are smoked so they're already cooked. Maybe a smoked fish salad? I'm not really sure, but I'd be wary about cooking them again.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Those are smoked so they're already cooked. Maybe a smoked fish salad? I'm not really sure, but I'd be wary about cooking them again.

At first I thought so too, but the "this product has to be fully cooked before consumption" message made me think it might just be partially smoked or otherwise not entirely cooked.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I'm looking for a good butcher shop/meat market in the Austin TX area. Does anybody here know of one? Seems like there aren't too many.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
How in the gently caress is there not a good butcher in the hometown of the Texas Longhorns??

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Lawnie posted:

How in the gently caress is there not a good butcher in the hometown of the Texas Longhorns??

:shrug:

Too many goddamn loving hippie vegan Californians, maybe?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 5, 2017

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

rgocs posted:

They're kind of kipper like, so:

Remove the head, if you want. Butterfly them.

In a pan, skin side down with a good amount of butter, gently heat them through. Under a grill / broiler. Flesh side up, dotted with butter. Again, gently heat through. Steam over boiling water, or immerse them in boiling water leaving the tails sticking up to make removal easy. Wrap in foil and bake in medium oven for ten minutes.

They're oily and smokey and can be most aromatic. Leave a window open when cooking. If you're not brought up with them, then they're going to be an acquired taste. In the UK they're a breakfast or tea time food, so serve with poached eggs, toast, tea and champagne.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Captainsalami posted:

Tapenade.

If you like tuna fish sandwiches I always add a little anchovies and capers. You can also mash it up and add it to soups.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

Cavenagh posted:

They're oily and smokey and can be most aromatic. Leave a window open when cooking. If you're not brought up with them, then they're going to be an acquired taste. In the UK they're a breakfast or tea time food, so serve with poached eggs, toast, tea and champagne.

Thanks. I've eaten herring and sardines, but always canned. I've had cooked sardines at a restaurant before. Never done it myself, will give it a go. Hopefully my wife won't get too upset with the smell!

Edit: are their bones edible like their canned counterparts?

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Anyone got an idiot proof bread pudding recipe?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Where's a good place to buy vanilla beans online. I mean I know I could just google it but I thought maybe people had recommendations

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

FishBulb posted:

Where's a good place to buy vanilla beans online. I mean I know I could just google it but I thought maybe people had recommendations

Vanilla Products USA. They're on Amazon and eBay.

Edit: it looks like their prices have doubled since a few years ago. Still 2-4 times cheaper than buying them at the grocery

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 6, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Grilling swordfish steaks tonight.

What internal temp should I go for on these? I'm thinking just olive oil/salt/pepper and serve with lemon.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Captainsalami posted:

Anyone got an idiot proof bread pudding recipe?

Don't know how idiot proof it is, but this is my favorite - From ATK (apologies for spelling errors, pdf text copy is inaccurate for some characters)

CLASSIC BREAD PUDDING
SERVES 8 TO 1O
NOTE: Challah is an egg-enriched bread that can be found in most bakeries and supermarkets. If you cannot find challah, a firm high-quality sandwich bread such as Arnold Country Classics White or Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Hearty White may be substituted. If desired, serve this pudding with softly whipped cream or with Bourbon-Brown Sugar Sauce (recipe follows).

2 tablespoons light brcwn sugar
3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 (14-ounce) loaf challah bread, cut into 3/4 inch cubes (about 10 cups)
9 large egg yolks
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon table salt
2 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 1/2 cups milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

1. Adjust oven racks to middle and lower-middle positions and hreat oven to 325 degrees. Combine brown sugar and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar in small bowl; set aside.

2. Spread bread cubes in single layer on 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake, tossing occasionally, until just dry, about 15 minutes, switching trays from top to bottom racks halfway through. Cool bread cubes about I5 minutes; set aside 2 cups.

3. Whisk yolks, remaining 3/4 cup sugar, vanilla,and salt together in large bowl. Whisk in cream and milk until combined. Add remaining 8 cups cooled bread cubes and toss to coat. Transfer mixture to 13 by 9-inch baking dish and let stand, occasionally pressing bread cubes into custard, until cubes are thoroughly saturated, about 30 minutes.

4. Spread reserved bread cubes evenly over top of soaked bread mixture and gently press into custard.Using pastry brush, dab melted butter over top of unsoaked bread pieces. Sprinkle brown-sugar mixture evenly over top. Place bread pudding on rimmed baking sheet and bake or.r middle rack until custard has just set, and pressing center of pudding with finger reveals no runny liquid, 45 to 50 minutes. (Instant-read thermometer inserted into center of pudding should read 170 degrees.) Transfer to wire rack and cool until pudding is set and just warm)about 45 minutes. Serve

BOURBON-BROWN SUGAR SAUCE
MAKES ABOUT I CUP

NOTE: Rum can be substituted for the bourbon.

1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
7 tablespoons heavy cream
2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 tablespoons bourbon

Whisk brown sugar and heavy cream in small saucepan set over medium heat until combined.Continue to cook, whisking frequently, until mixture comes to boil, about 5 minutes. whisk in butter and bring mixture back to boil, about 1 minute . Remove from heat and whisk in bourbon. Cool to just warm: serve with bread pudding

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Long-time flexible vegetarian here. Flexible = If I am traveling and there are no vegetarian options I will eat Salmon or Chicken.

I want to eat Salmon more regularly. I cook practically every meal, but I have zero experience with meats. Also I don't have a full kitchen, just a kitchenette. Given the choice between a counter top hot plate (this one) and a counter top convection oven (this one), which one is better for preparing Salmon for a single goon?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
The hot plate. You can make salmon perfectly well in either, but the hot plate can give a nice crust which adds flavor and texture. Also I think the hot plate gives more cooking options in general, since it lets you make sauces, and boil water for vegetables, rice and pasta.

CzarChasm posted:

NOTE: Challah is an egg-enriched bread that can be found in most bakeries and supermarkets. If you cannot find challah, a firm high-quality sandwich bread such as Arnold Country Classics White or Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Hearty White may be substituted.

Brioche should work very well too, since it's a French version of the same thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The burg thread seems to be more about restaurants or pictures than cooking them.

I have some frozen 91% patties (that I'm not getting again, but I don't want to throw out meat). The problem is that when I cook them, they seem to puff up and collect all of the blood in the middle. Last time I cooked them I tried pressing down to keep that from happening. A bunch still spewed out when I tested one with a knife. I cooked the poo poo out of them, but then I tested again, and it was only after stabbing the patty and basically draining it that there was nothing left in there. Predictably, the burgers were tough and dry.

The blood will even come out when the inside is cooked to medium. How can I prevent this until I finish these?

E: it's not juice, it's "instantly stain the bun red" blood.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
how long are you letting them rest before eating?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

The burg thread seems to be more about restaurants or pictures than cooking them.

I have some frozen 91% patties (that I'm not getting again, but I don't want to throw out meat). The problem is that when I cook them, they seem to puff up and collect all of the blood in the middle. Last time I cooked them I tried pressing down to keep that from happening. A bunch still spewed out when I tested one with a knife. I cooked the poo poo out of them, but then I tested again, and it was only after stabbing the patty and basically draining it that there was nothing left in there. Predictably, the burgers were tough and dry.

The blood will even come out when the inside is cooked to medium. How can I prevent this until I finish these?

E: it's not juice, it's "instantly stain the bun red" blood.

defrost them and push your thumb in the center to make a dimple. It can be pretty deep, not all the way through though.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

Vanilla Products USA. They're on Amazon and eBay.

Edit: it looks like their prices have doubled since a few years ago. Still 2-4 times cheaper than buying them at the grocery

Yeah, there was a record bad year for vanilla crops last year, so prices for beans went up. As for Canadian goons, I'd recommend the Vanilla Food Company as a source for vanilla - they also stock chocolate, extracts, and SAF yeast.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

spankmeister posted:

defrost them and push your thumb in the center to make a dimple. It can be pretty deep, not all the way through though.

Will do, thanks.

As far as resting, usually 1-3 minutes. The one thing that really stood out to me is that if I don't squish it down, it does puff up in the middle to the point that there's a hollow in there like it was a meat pita or something.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

let it rest for a few minutes more - at least 5 total. This will let the juices re-distribute, cook the meat a little further, and let the meat loosen up a bit and hold on to some of that juice rather than just losing it all immediately

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
It's also not blood. It's never blood.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

What is it if it's bright red? It looks like blood.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Myoglobin water.

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/the-red-juice-in-raw-red-meat-is-not-blood/

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

The hot plate. You can make salmon perfectly well in either, but the hot plate can give a nice crust which adds flavor and texture. Also I think the hot plate gives more cooking options in general, since it lets you make sauces, and boil water for vegetables, rice and pasta.

I was going to use the hot plate for the sauce/rice/veggies anyway. I was thinking that the oven might be better because it takes longer and requires less babysitting, so I have more time for the other stuff. If it works perfectly well in either, I'll try both and see if I prefer one over the other. Thanks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I learned something today. So if I let it sit 5 minutes, it would soak back in?

Does it stay in fat more easily than the meat? I'm just wondering why I never see that stuff in fattier meat.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I learned something today. So if I let it sit 5 minutes, it would soak back in?
It should, yes, but it'll take someone more versed in the nature of protein to tell you why; also most of the tests done on this have been done on steak, which is composed differently than ground burger meat. Just... try it - you'll see the difference I think.

quote:

Does it stay in fat more easily than the meat? I'm just wondering why I never see that stuff in fattier meat.

Again, someone else will probably give you a better answer (I'm going to be guessing somewhat here) - but with fattier meats you are usually cooking the meat for considerably longer - to render more of the fat into the meat. The rendered fat provides that 'juiciness' that you experience, but the longer cooking time also evaporates a great deal of the water from meat (think of something like beef brisket).

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

theHUNGERian posted:

I was going to use the hot plate for the sauce/rice/veggies anyway. I was thinking that the oven might be better because it takes longer and requires less babysitting, so I have more time for the other stuff. If it works perfectly well in either, I'll try both and see if I prefer one over the other. Thanks.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were asking which one you should buy :doh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Gerblyn posted:

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you were asking which one you should buy :doh:

Yeah, rereading my original question I see how that's the question that I seemed to be asking. But no, I have both, and I was just trying to figure out if one is vastly superior to the other.