Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

never heard of it outside of lvm snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think i was thinking of ufs

Beldantazar
Sep 10, 2011
Here's an idea, how about instead of developing 500 different and feature incompatible file systems, they all work together on one file system and make it really good. Oh wait, that would require an open source project to not fragment into a million competing things that all suck.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
it exists already, it's called ext4

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Beldantazar posted:

Here's an idea, how about instead of developing 500 different and feature incompatible file systems, they all work together on one file system and make it really good. Oh wait, that would require an open source project to not fragment into a million competing things that all suck.

It's called the VFS in the Kernel. :v:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

ratbert90 posted:

It's called the VFS in the Kernel. :v:

... and ...

different software, different requirements, different features

vfat/exfat is great for thumb drives and devices with external storage

yaffs2 is great for raw flash chips

btrfs is good for masochists and gentoo users (but I'm repeating myself)

there should always be alternatives for everything

but I'd like to see a modern distribution with everything stored in the vfs for instant access

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gonna sperg a bit here and say that the lack of permissions on vfat/exfat make them uniquely useful for thumb drives

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ntfs is the best file system of all time

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Then why did they have to make ReFS????

Serious question for the thread: Is transmission a good program for sharing things with my peers?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

thebigcow posted:

Then why did they have to make ReFS????

Serious question for the thread: Is transmission a good program for sharing things with my peers?

I use transmission all the time. It's a fine bittorrent program for stuff like linux distribution isos.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
What about my extensive anime collection?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

thebigcow posted:

import the limited edition blurays from japan like everyone else

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Beldantazar posted:

filesystems are like the last thing on the list of poo poo which makes me want to claw my eyes out while I janitor linux tbqh

ext4 is modern features bolted onto a very rusty 1970s style unix inode fs chassis but it works well enough for the vast majority of cases so idc

the place where fragmentation really harms linux is ui. also the dumb babbys doing the ui fragmentation since it would be ok if at least one was good so that team would win but nope they're all totally incompetent.

just installed fedora 25 and holy poo poo it still has that incredibly stupid lock screen bullshit that serves no useful purpose and gives no cues about how to get past it. how the gently caress is that still a thing

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think you just press enter. windows has the same lock screen

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

BobHoward posted:

filesystems are like the last thing on the list of poo poo which makes me want to claw my eyes out while I janitor linux tbqh

ext4 is modern features bolted onto a very rusty 1970s style unix inode fs chassis but it works well enough for the vast majority of cases so idc

the place where fragmentation really harms linux is ui. also the dumb babbys doing the ui fragmentation since it would be ok if at least one was good so that team would win but nope they're all totally incompetent.

just installed fedora 25 and holy poo poo it still has that incredibly stupid lock screen bullshit that serves no useful purpose and gives no cues about how to get past it. how the gently caress is that still a thing

The purpose of a filesystem is to allocate groups of blocks from a disk and assign a name and access control list to them. This problem was solved in a satisfactory manner in the 1970s. Page tables solved the same problem in much the same manner for secure multiplexing of a computer's volatile memory resources shortly afterwards.

These are not operating system primitives that need to be improved upon. If you want compression or copy-on-write or indexing or whatever the hell else then that should be layered on top of this blocklist allocation system.

Ext4 improved precisely the implementation details that needed to be improved upon: directories are stored as B-trees and block lists are coalesced into extents.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hifi posted:

i think you just press enter. windows has the same lock screen

or hit escape. or just start typing and it will go away.

it also has blinking arrows pointing up if all else fails.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

thebigcow posted:

What about it?

Rent an aws node and start your own tracker and seed it with transmission.

For bonus points, seed it with a raspberry pi and cut your power consumption from 40 watts to 2.5 - a ~94% power reduction.

EDIT: raspberry pi with raspbian comes with transmission

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

el dorito posted:

What about it?

Rent an aws node and start your own tracker and seed it with transmission.

For bonus points, seed it with a raspberry pi and cut your power consumption from 40 watts to 2.5 - a ~94% power reduction.

EDIT: raspberry pi with raspbian comes with transmission

put it on s3 and use their torrent tracker (add ?torrent to the end of an s3 url)

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

The_Franz posted:

or hit escape. or just start typing and it will go away.

it also has blinking arrows pointing up if all else fails.

oh eyah that reminds me, if you start typing your password in windows straight away it doesn't enter the letters when its doing it's animation but in fedora it does

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sapozhnik posted:

The purpose of a filesystem is to allocate groups of blocks from a disk and assign a name and access control list to them. This problem was solved in a satisfactory manner in the 1970s. Page tables solved the same problem in much the same manner for secure multiplexing of a computer's volatile memory resources shortly afterwards.

These are not operating system primitives that need to be improved upon. If you want compression or copy-on-write or indexing or whatever the hell else then that should be layered on top of this blocklist allocation system.

Ext4 improved precisely the implementation details that needed to be improved upon: directories are stored as B-trees and block lists are coalesced into extents.

source your quotes

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

speaking of Linux Isos, i guess rtorrent lets you daemonize it easier so i upgraded that. i ahd to spend like an hour figuring out why xml rpc didnt work and it was some autoconf issue so i just deleted the if guards around the code and it worked

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

hifi posted:

speaking of Linux Isos, i guess rtorrent lets you daemonize it easier so i upgraded that. i ahd to spend like an hour figuring out why xml rpc didnt work and it was some autoconf issue so i just deleted the if guards around the code and it worked

on error resume next

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1212756 Uhhh

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sounds like a pretty simple kernel patch? :shrug:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i'm retarded about these things but it looks like you just cant lock the file twice. it looks like a easier patch to rtorrent to just use syslog

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
imma throw this out there but maybe don't close fds 1-3 if you think you'll need 'em later

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

it's opened by systemd.

this is a stupid problem but you enter a file to log to and /dev/stdout doesn't work

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

wow ansible is great. idk if i was just dumb with chef but ansible was much easier to hit the ground running.

b0red fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 11, 2017

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/commandline/2017/05/11/new-distros-coming-to-bashwsl-via-windows-store/

Now you can put linux in your windows straight from the windows store

But if it runs fedora, does it support SELinux???

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

/dev/stdout (and /dev/stdin & /dev/stderr) are an idiotic bash-ism where if it sees those strings in a file redirection, it dups fd 1 (and 0 or 2, respectively) instead of actually opening the file.

at some point somebody tried to use them outside of bash and it didn't work because they're magic strings instead of files, so the symlinks in /dev were created as a half-assed solution that works some of the time

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I am the kind of person that wishes debian just symlinked /bin/sh to bash

especially now since systemd handles boot

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

el dorito posted:

i don't think any of the shells are good enough to be the one true shell. i havent' tried fish

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

el dorito posted:

They probably used to, but because init RC uses /bin/sh they savagely optimized it by using a smaller shell.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol if you didn't use dash for the default shell back in the day, it cut many seconds off boot time :v:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gone are the days of long uptimes as a sign of geek credentials

especially for anything connected to the internet

but I'm still ok with long boot times

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

I did the wrong thing and decided to try Fedora outside of a VM. Installer was buggy but did its job, worked for a few minutes. Popped up a dialog saying get some updates. I got the updates, system is rendered unusable. Probably has to do with a nouveau issue+having 2 monitors plugged in. Not going to troubleshoot. I'll try again next year. 2017 year of Linux in a VM.
:getin:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Sapozhnik posted:

tell us more about how everything should be microkernels

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
pff? microkernels

exokernels are the latest hotness, get with the program

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

pff? microkernels

exokernels are the latest hotness, get with the program

soviet kernels are the largest kernels in the world :ussr: