Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Actually I think it's kind of telling that even here nobody's actually discussing the answer, it's all about the fact that the question was asked. I think that's all people at large will remember, that Marr asked Mcdonnell if he was a Marxist, and the fact that the question was asked alone will be considered a knock on Labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haakman
May 5, 2011
For example:

Jeremy, is it true you contributed to a piece of literature encouraging the privatization of the NHS?

Lucky Marr asked that one then.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Questions as character assassination are very common. Are you still beating your wife? It's that but on a supposed professional level.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 7, 2017

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

feedmegin posted:

Um not to out-autist you but the median is an average. You're thinking of the mean average.

In English, average means mean average. Which is why if someone says median but describes mean, they may be well-meaning, intending to show how mean employers are,.

But they are still wrong.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

It was the Mail on Sunday, not the Sun, but this is the twat who did the "I lied in church and said my kids were starving and they gave me some food from a private charity, government benefits have gone mad" poo poo.

I think I brought it up the last time the article was posted, but what was even more egregious was that when it broke down the prices of the food, it worked out to something like £3 per person per day or something like that. And the sheer outrage they had over this, with zero compassion or empathy.

In other news, more woe for Corbyn:

TIBFJC

From the Sunday Sport - personally I find the Viz funnier.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

feedmegin posted:

There are lots of thick British people.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

feedmegin posted:

And, like it or not, London voted Remain, the rest of England and Wales (especially the bits without any immigrants) largely went Leave. That is a real thing.

Virtually every major city voted remain, some in larger % than London

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Taear posted:

I think a lot of the problem with politics today is that people can't evaluate sources very well. I see this at work absolutely loads - we have a thing called Chatter which is sort of like a social network. On it you can ask questions if you've come across something difficult. Tonnes of people stopped using it because they'd get a few different answers and didn't know which ones to trust.
Even if two answers were from random new starters and the third one was from the person who actually designed the box and that last person was signposted really heavily as such.

You saw it loads during the EU Referendum when people were screaming for "just non-biased information about what's going on" when it was easily available but they didn't know how to decide what was real or not.

When 90% of people barely ever pay attention to politics anyway it's too easy to lie or present things in a way that makes it sound bad. Taxes for people over 80k? Well that might be loads of people and it might be me! Even though if you look into it, there's basically no chance of it ever being you.

It's a really horrible situation and I blame that for our 1000 year tory reich over any specific politician.

From a few pages ago but I don't think this can ever be overemphasised. We have absolutely no hope of winning the general public round from the current wave of right-populism without either better education into how to use sources and analyse information, or a left-wing with a seriously talented messaging machine. The right doesn't particularly need that, because its messages are simple and common sense, even if they aren't actually true when you analyse them below the surface level. 'Immigrants are the reason the NHS is hosed' is an easy argument to make because 'more people' = 'more money needing to be spend to treat these people' = 'less resources can be used on me and mine'. Add in the idea of 'health tourism' and you're onto a winner. This is common sense. Except none of its actually true and that common sense logic doesn't actually hold up in the face of any analysis with any depth at all - but that doesn't matter when the vast majority of the population aren't able or willing to properly analyse information, or follow, critique and ultimately decide on the value of the analyses of others.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4482020/Germany-search-army-barracks-Nazi-memorabilia.html

Haha "the comments have been moderated in advance".

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It's not that the messages are inherently simpler and easier to get across, it's that the right has endless resources and opportunity to propagate them.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Wonder if we're talking "Send them to me, I know what to do with them *wink*" or "Should have gassed those loving hun to show them what for, now Junker is gobbling up the whole continent" or "No wonder that the Germans are turning to what they know in the face of refugee hordes and relentless globalism of their leaders" level of problematic comments.

e: On second thought probably all of those.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

josh04 posted:

It's not that the messages are inherently simpler and easier to get across, it's that the right has endless resources and opportunity to propagate them.

Well it is a simpler message in some ways. People are more susceptible to accepting that the nhs is struggling due to migrants, which are an "other", as opposed to the real reason of an aging population and lack of long term investment, the former of which they see as blaming them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It was the Mail on Sunday, not the Sun, but this is the twat who did the "I lied in church and said my kids were starving and they gave me some food from a private charity, government benefits have gone mad" poo poo.

As for the Trussell Trust, there was some 'controversy' about them charging money to local authorities for branding and PR, but it's mostly the right wing rags complaining about that, so it might just be a case of 'charity has overheads'. There's also the controversy that they engage in religious discrimination, with some higher positions allegedly being offered to Christians only, which is lovely.

There's also the controversy of foodbanks existing in an allegedly developed nation, but that's more different.

The funny (not funny) thing is that the tabloid skiver stories have mostly dried up because they're too busy getting angry at remoaners (I'm sure I've heard "urban elites" being uses unironically and repeatedly) but the Tories are *still* cutting benefits. This isn't fiscal conservatism or pandering to tabloids, this is straight-up hatred of anyone who didn't go to Eton.

I wouldn't be at all surprised - between workfare, housing benefit caps, and post-Brexit economic implosion - to see the triumphant return of the workhouse by 2022.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

That Corbyn sure is a plonker

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

For the avoidance of doubt, neither the Daily Mail nor the Prime Minister support ethnic cleansing.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I wouldn't be at all surprised - between workfare, housing benefit caps, and post-Brexit economic implosion - to see the triumphant return of the workhouse by 2022.

I would be quite surprised to see the return of the workhouse, because they don't want to pay for us to be housed. Workfare is basically the workhouse without the shelter. Prisons with forced labour are an option for the troublesome. What would a workhouse add?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nostalgia!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

BBC news has a whole article, complete with video interview, entitled 'Would it help to tax the rich more?'

Where THE gently caress were the articles called 'Would it help to cut disability benefits?', 'Would it help to tax spare rooms?' and 'Would it help to reduce capital gains tax?'

Our media is so biased it's a joke.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

influential dogging club lol

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Spuckuk posted:

Virtually every major city voted remain, some in larger % than London

Birmingham didn't.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Le Pen is Le Poop

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Oh dear me posted:

I would be quite surprised to see the return of the workhouse, because they don't want to pay for us to be housed. Workfare is basically the workhouse without the shelter. Prisons with forced labour are an option for the troublesome. What would a workhouse add?

There are still people angry that cash-in-hand benefits exist at all. They want the poor to do no more than exist - no TV, no electronics, no food more flavourful or fulfilling than required to survive. End cash benefits (apart from the pension, of course!), slap some dorms up within an hour or so's walking distance of the centre of town (can't have them too nearby but can't have them asking for transport, can we?) and hey presto, a replacement army of cleaners, care workers, and assorted skivvies to fill the gap left once we throw out all those foreigners who have managed to simultaneously take all our jobs and sit around all day in their council-supplied mansions. A chance to make the benefits system revenue-positive and/or lower the costs of Capita, ISS, et. al.? It's a Tory wet dream.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

jabby posted:

BBC news has a whole article, complete with video interview, entitled 'Would it help to tax the rich more?'

Where THE gently caress were the articles called 'Would it help to cut disability benefits?', 'Would it help to tax spare rooms?' and 'Would it help to reduce capital gains tax?'

Our media is so biased it's a joke.

Its a new feature they've only been doing them for a few months. Its spun off from there fact checking pages they had for the EU referendum.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

To the joy of everyone except Sam Kriss, Marine Le Pen has lost.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Sam Kriss didn't support Le Pen, unlike a Lib Dem who would probably go into coalition with her.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TinTower posted:

To the joy of everyone except Sam Kriss, Marine Le Pen has lost.

I dunno about joy. Or relief. The inevitable winner won. It's nice the fascist lost but she got twice what Jean-Marie Le Pen managed in 2002, but if Macron enacts the platform he promised then FN's support isn't going to die off. 35% of the French voters just voted for a fascist to be President, there's no loving joy in that.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Sam Kriss didn't support Le Pen, unlike a Lib Dem who would probably go into coalition with her.

Sam "better an honest thousand fascists than Macron" Kriss, aye?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

I dunno about joy. Or relief. The inevitable winner won. It's nice the fascist lost but she got twice what Jean-Marie Le Pen managed in 2002, but if Macron enacts the platform he promised then FN's support isn't going to die off. 35% of the French voters just voted for a fascist to be President, there's no loving joy in that.

How dare you not celebrate the victory of glorious liberalism? Are you some kind of poor person lover?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

NO IT'S THE INEVITABLE VICTORY OF MILQUETOAST NEOLIBERALISM LALALALALA CAN'T HEAR YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There are still people angry that cash-in-hand benefits exist at all. They want the poor to do no more than exist - no TV, no electronics, no food more flavourful or fulfilling than required to survive. End cash benefits (apart from the pension, of course!), slap some dorms up within an hour or so's walking distance of the centre of town (can't have them too nearby but can't have them asking for transport, can we?) and hey presto, a replacement army of cleaners, care workers, and assorted skivvies

Food stamps or other ways to force benefit recipients to buy only basics and only from favoured companies have already been discussed, I can certainly see those coming. But workfare and prisons already provide skivvies, and Tories are the party of landlords. They get money already from housing the poor via housing benefit. Why would they want more houses built? And would they really be so stupid as to help the poor get together and organize?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TinTower posted:

Sam "better an honest thousand fascists than Macron" Kriss, aye?

He clarified that statement in the following tweets.

Care to clarify supporting the coalition?

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

He clarified that statement in the following tweets.

He literally typed the phrase "a thousand honest fascists".

That he could do that says a lot about him.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The account that keeps on giving

https://twitter.com/LeaveEUOfficial/status/861284167115575297

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean we already have milquetoast liberals in this country. They consistently do much worse than Labour, even Corbyn's Labour.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How is that account still active after the whole 'hang the blacks' thing?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

TinTower posted:

That you remain a lib dem following the coalition says more about you.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Steve2911 posted:

How is that account still active after the whole 'hang the blacks' thing?

lol if you think Twitter actually bans fascists and racists

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Rich List 2017: Six surprising ways to make money

Four of the six are inheriting the family business - what a shocker!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TinTower posted:

Sam Kriss is alright, Emmanuel Macron is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

France votes to double down on neolibralism, fascism delayed by five years.

• Locked thread