Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think the logic is, how much box office did the hundreds of millions they spent in marketing for BvS actually but them in the end? It was one of the biggest making campaigns ever. They can put out a single trailer and it will get wall to wall coverage from every channel in the nerd industrial complex. Reaction videos, trailer reviews and analysis, etc. Not everyone watches this poo poo, but the people who do drag their friends and loved ones to the theater.

Would Ghostbusters have actually been decently profitable and gotten a sequel if Sony hadn't spent so much on marketing? I don't know.

But they know.

And they're the ones. Writing it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is it weird that the DCEU movie I'm actually most looking forward to is Aquaman? :confused:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is it weird that the DCEU movie I'm actually most looking forward to is Aquaman? :confused:

No, and I'll give you Wan good reason.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
James Wan made the best Fast and Furious movie (after Tokyo Drift) so I have no doubt he'll make the best DC movie (after Man of Steel).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

SleepCousinDeath posted:

so I have no doubt he'll make the best DC movie

a bar so low you can crawl over it

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

parallelodad posted:

No, and I'll give you Wan good reason.

I agree. I am also looking forward to seeing Dolph Lundgren.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

I agree. I am also looking forward to seeing Dolphin Lundgren.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I couldn't be bothered to see Doc Strange or Logan, and found the first GotG to be largely a bunch of annoying jerks shouting over each other so skipping the sequel. And even with Wan at the helm, Aquaman is up there with the Inhumans on the list of comic poo poo I will never give a single, solitary toss about. Still, I am rather looking forward to Wonder Woman so it must be doing something right, despite being the latest in a so-far-bad series of films.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

"My own personal priorities are very different from most people, therefore this movie is doing something right" is certainly an interesting take.

It could be good, and I hope it is, it's just weird to say it's doing the right thing sight unseen.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I sat through Frontier so it is safe to say I will watch any and everything with Jason Momoa in it

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I liked Guardians 2 enough. I'd probably settle it toward the middle of MCU stuff though. It wasn't as good as the original. It has some great laughs, cool visuals, and literally the best Stan Lee cameo yet.

- Seriously though, The Watchers? Best part of the whole night was that the theater sorta popped, but then I heard some little kid go "That's The Watcher!" Hell yeah, little kid!
- Batista is so great it's not even funny. Smaller, Dumber Groot is the only way I will refer to Baby Groot from now on
- Kurt Russell was pretty drat great. Definitely one of the better MCU villains thus far even if you consider that faint praise
- That moment where Quill snaps out of The Joining or whatever bullshit was actually pretty great for me
- Why Rooker? He was one of the best parts of both movies!
- Adam Warlock, huh? Ok.
- The commitment to Howard the Duck jokes is seriously amazing.

Also I really didn't get any of the Stallone stuff. It felt like it was supposed to be a big deal, but I just don't know anything about that character.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Stallone and his group have a different name in the comics.

The Guardians of the Galaxy.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

After watching GotG 2 I continue to be confused by the fact that nobody else has cast Dave Bautista in a comedy role.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

SonicRulez posted:

- Seriously though, The Watchers? Best part of the whole night was that the theater sorta popped, but then I heard some little kid go "That's The Watcher!" Hell yeah, little kid!
- Batista is so great it's not even funny. Smaller, Dumber Groot is the only way I will refer to Baby Groot from now on
- Kurt Russell was pretty drat great. Definitely one of the better MCU villains thus far even if you consider that faint praise
- That moment where Quill snaps out of The Joining or whatever bullshit was actually pretty great for me
- Why Rooker? He was one of the best parts of both movies!
- Adam Warlock, huh? Ok.
- The commitment to Howard the Duck jokes is seriously amazing.

:( I was the only nerd who got excited with seeing The Watchers and Howard the Duck. And Kurt Rusell riding his magical space egg was so great.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Mulva posted:

Stallone and his group have a different name in the comics.

The Guardians of the Galaxy.

Oh. Well that's neat.

Arist posted:

I didn't even get a trailer. It was super weird.

I didn't get a WW trailer either. I did get the Defenders trailer on the big screen though (a condense version) and that kicked rear end though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Apropos of nothing, I've just remembered another great comic book movie villain: Blueshammer from Ghost World. :v:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Jamesman posted:

I thought Heigl's reputation was she was considered "Difficult" to work with because she pointed out blatant sexism in the industry and it was just easier to stop hiring her than to start treating women like people.

No, she has a momager who's a human nightmare to work with (this has been verified) and is one of the more entitled and self-centered actresses currently working (this is really heavily rumored, but occurs so often and is reinforced by how lenient her momager is with her that it mine as well be true).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
what's a momager?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Soonmot posted:

what's a momager?

Her mom is her manager. I had to ask the same thing when my wife dropped the word years ago (also referring to the nightmarish Heigls).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Soonmot posted:

what's a momager?

A manager who is also the mum.

Donde Esta
Sep 6, 2006

:getin:

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A manager who is also the mum.

So, like, a mumager? Or...?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Soonmot posted:

what's a momager?

Your Mom is your manager. This is bad because managers are supposed to be part of your representation team, and thus impartial. Show business is that, a business, and when you have relatives as your representation (this includes your agent), they are inherently biased. The whole reason you have representation in the first place is because you are a biased player - you have no idea what your valuation is truly worth, and thus cannot deal effectively. Relatives are also biased (because they, well, know you) and thus are unable to be effective at their jobs. It also doesn't help that managers have real power over their clients, and from literally everything I've read about Heigl's situation (and there's a LOT, her mom is INFAMOUS in Hollywood) it basically makes Heigl an impossible person to work with. Heigl's Mom overvalues her client, seems to blur the lines between manager and agent, and treats Katherine with kid gloves - which KH uses, apparently, to show up late/not at all on set, throw temper tantrums, etc. Ostensibly speaking managers are supposed to soothe/prevent their clients from doing so (since every second spent no filming is thousands and thousands of dollars lost), but KH's mom doesn't, making Katherine look like a very unnattractive prospect to employ.

But yeah, having a momager is like a gigantic red siren to studios because this poo poo happens all the time - Lindsay Lohan is another famous example of what happens when you let your parents manage your career, you quickly become unemployable. The Kardashians are all represented by Kris Jenner and the stories about Kris are also pretty infamous, but to Kris' credit she seems like a decent manager who has managed the Kardashian brand very very well. She's still burned an absolute ton of bridges in Hollywood, though, due to - again - overvaluing her clients and not treating them as, well, clients.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I was reading it as mo-ma-ger instead of mom-a-ger

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Genuine GOTG2 reaction: 6/10 for me. Very much below the quality of the first, though it does just about hit my "sure, I'd watch it again" threshold.

I've rarely seen a film that had such enjoyable hilarity through some scenes, followed by completely flat awkward attempts at jokes for the next scene; such stunningly heartfelt writing in one moment, right alongside halfassed forced melodrama the next.

It really needed more of the quirky, lovingly-retro aesthetics and humor that they used for Ayesha and the rest of the Sovereign people, and less of Bradley Cooper yelling bad lines every couple minutes 'cuz I guess the kids like it when that happens? The Gamora and Nebula relationship was really well-depicted because they showed so much of it through action and reaction and sympathetic writing. The Peter and Ego relationship felt like Kurt Russell making GBS threads toneless exposition at the protagonists' stunned faces for twenty minutes and calling it a day.

Though I think the best example of forced, unearned emotions was Yondu's death. Okay, we show that he does care for Peter and vice versa and it all ends on a desperately tragic note. It works! It's good! But then they blow it up to, like, not just Peter's crew but also a bunch of Ravagers who we've never seen and all Yondu's faceless friends and practically the entire loving galaxy having some sort of technicolor pirate's funeral for the guy and it's like...look. Yondu was cool. But he's not that loving cool. And actually one of the reasons he was cool was because he was a bit of a rat bastard who know one liked that much...now they're trying to convince me that he's some kind of interstellar treasure who everyone's gonna miss? Binch, I'm not even gonna miss him that much. It would've worked so much better if they had just kept this grief more personal and microcosmic, like Peter's the only one who truly mourns him.

Along those lines, my least favorite joke has to be Rocket ragging on Taserface's name for what must have been ten thousand years of screentime. Everyone else in my theater did keep on laughing at it but I was just like...it's not that funny. It's like the sort of drawn-out joke I'd expect from a Dreamworks film or something. Is it just me?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BrianWilly posted:

Genuine GOTG2 reaction: 6/10 for me. Very much below the quality of the first, though it does just about hit my "sure, I'd watch it again" threshold.

I've rarely seen a film that had such enjoyable hilarity through some scenes, followed by completely flat awkward attempts at jokes for the next scene; such stunningly heartfelt writing in one moment, right alongside halfassed forced melodrama the next.

It really needed more of the quirky, lovingly-retro aesthetics and humor that they used for Ayesha and the rest of the Sovereign people, and less of Bradley Cooper yelling bad lines every couple minutes 'cuz I guess the kids like it when that happens? The Gamora and Nebula relationship was really well-depicted because they showed so much of it through action and reaction and sympathetic writing. The Peter and Ego relationship felt like Kurt Russell making GBS threads toneless exposition at the protagonists' stunned faces for twenty minutes and calling it a day.

Though I think the best example of forced, unearned emotions was Yondu's death. Okay, we show that he does care for Peter and vice versa and it all ends on a desperately tragic note. It works! It's good! But then they blow it up to, like, not just Peter's crew but also a bunch of Ravagers who we've never seen and all Yondu's faceless friends and practically the entire loving galaxy having some sort of technicolor pirate's funeral for the guy and it's like...look. Yondu was cool. But he's not that loving cool. And actually one of the reasons he was cool was because he was a bit of a rat bastard who know one liked that much...now they're trying to convince me that he's some kind of interstellar treasure who everyone's gonna miss? Binch, I'm not even gonna miss him that much. It would've worked so much better if they had just kept this grief more personal and microcosmic, like Peter's the only one who truly mourns him.

Along those lines, my least favorite joke has to be Rocket ragging on Taserface's name for what must have been ten thousand years of screentime. Everyone else in my theater did keep on laughing at it but I was just like...it's not that funny. It's like the sort of drawn-out joke I'd expect from a Dreamworks film or something. Is it just me?

The thing with the funerals ties in with what Stallone told him earlier in the film how he would never get that and it was all about him regaining his honor, and due to that the new/old guardians of the galaxy was formed

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can't decide if I liked it more than the first one.

Though I gotta admit I cannot stop listening to Guardians Inferno. I liked the little animated gif dances that the characters did during the end credits accompanied it as well. Not sure if I liked Nebula or Yondu's ones better.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

BrianWilly posted:

In general I agree. I feel that the bit with Taserface went on too long. It felt like it was going to be kind of a Spider-man "make 'em mad to keep them off balance" kind of move, that just never really paid off. Kurt Russel playing Captain Exposition didn't really bother me too much as we really needed to cover both the real shocking origins or Peter Quill and also throw on the "Oh, I'm also a bad guy" stuff.

But Ego is loving monstrous in the depth and scope of his villainy here and holy poo poo that was something I don't really think we got recently in a Marvel movie. Or any comic book movie for that matter. I mean this is our first Galaxy level threat on the big screen right? Everything else has been Revenge or World Domination or (1) World Destruction or Primo Real Estate Scam. But to sacrifice his own kids because they were useless in his eyes is just so dark. Darker than I expected, but OK. I think it worked overall. Though him giving cancer to Peter's mother was kind of overkill.

But yeah, I kind of saw the whole Yondu was your "dad" this whole time coming since I heard about the plot in general.

I'd give it an 8/10. Not as fun as the first, but overall a good time. Tons of easter eggs if you look closely. Bautista is worth the price of admission alone. Drax explaining social interactions to Mantis was hilarious. Baby Groot is not as endearing as grown up Groot in the first, but he's not as omnipresent as the marketing seemed to indicate he would be. He's there, and he has his moments, but they are spread pretty well around the whole movie. Ego is a really effective villain

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The best part about Taserface, other than the fact that he's an actual character, was looking him up later and realizing he was played by Toby from This is Us

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I got to catch guardians today, it was a lot of fun. I get it about some of the stuff that didn't work as well, but the good overcomes it and Bautista was the best. After the nipple thing was mentioned I knew that gag was coming. But I still laughed out loud when it happened and I'm laughing now remembering "MY NIPPLES!!!!!!"

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Batista really stole the show in Guardians 2. In pretty much every scene. I particularly liked his interactions with Mantis, who also owned.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Rough Lobster posted:

Batista really stole the show in Guardians 2. In pretty much every scene. I particularly liked his interactions with Mantis, who also owned.

At least this mantis isn't the greatest and best like her comic version. Holy poo poo did her amaziness get old after a while. I wonder if she will marry a plant possessing a dead body.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

At least this mantis isn't the greatest and best like her comic version. Holy poo poo did her amaziness get old after a while. I wonder if she will marry a plant possessing a dead body.

I will say that I think they should've kept her referring to herself as "This one" since it would be something that an isolated person might use instead of "I".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/stelovesrdj/status/860915789678989314

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
That is clearly paul bettany's daughter not son

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Awesome Mix vol. 2 isn't nearly as good as volume one was. It does have some fantastic songs on it, but as a whole collection it falls a bit short. I didn't enjoy the movie quite as much as the first either, but possibly that's simply because i now had something to compare it to rather than it being a complete surprise.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Apparently none a y'all had your dad walk out on you or stepdad who cared but didn't know how to show it.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Logan and GotG 2 really hitting me hard with the dead Dad stuff this year :(

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"
I guess I'm in the mintority - I thought Guardians Vol. 2 was better than the original, after seeing it twice so far. This movie had a better villain (one of the best in the MCU so far), a better soundtrack (for my tastes), it was beautifully shot and it had lot of heart underneath all that humor.

In addition, the film's overall message resonated with me since I'm a new(er) father - everything with Yondu at the end wrecked me. Great film imo

Little Mac posted:

Logan and GotG 2 really hitting me hard with the dead Dad stuff this year :(

My condolences :( I can kind of relate - the intro scene in the first GotG was tough for me to watch, as I had just lost my mother earlier that year (brain aneurism). Hang in there, friend!

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 7, 2017

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Just saw Guardians 2. I'm inclined to agree, not as good as the first but still good. Stan Lee was great (I was surprised to see the Watchers, I'd assumed they'd be with Fox, so that was cool), Ego was great, I was super glad to see Howard the Duck again, wish we'd seen more of Cosmo but I understand. Saw it in 3D because it was the next showing and we didn't want to wait until past noon for the next 2D showing, and we got a Thor trailer, which was nice. I'll pretty much always go 2D, but those Kirby dots looked great in 3D.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really love that when Peter finds out that Ego straight up murdered his mom, he does not hesitate to start shooting.

• Locked thread