Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

OP of this thread made me so nostalgic, I discovered a tonne of old games that I used to waste hours of my life on back when I was a shut-in teenager with a crappy hand-me-down laptop that could only manage the graphics of Unreal World and Stranded I & II.

Edit: Just killed my first bear in Unreal World. Took on a quest whereby some dude got royally hosed by said bear, and wanted me to go back and find where his shelter was to get his things for him. I hired a local villager to help me (ie act as bait), gave him a bunch of lovely javelins. I spent a solid two days tracking the shelter down by foot, the only thing I had to go by was that he'd built the shelter in a large heathland bordering a coniferous forest. I'd initially been running around on the world map thinking I'd spot the shelter, but I figured that's not the case after 4 days went by and nothing turned up. I then zoomed into local map and hugged the border of this tree for a few hours (ingame time). Saw some bloodscapes and realised I was close - at this point my excitement was at an all time high. This felt awesome, using the hints the NPC gave me to narrow down where his shelter was.

There was a deafening roar in the distance and a bear came rushing out to attack me. I dodged it's first attack, and then managed to ace a spear thrust to his head. Then my NPC and doggo friend came and pummeled on this bear with me. The NPC had a poo poo javelin I'd given him and his only skill was with knives, yet he singlehandedly took the bear out. He got about 3 perfect thrusts and we both managed to get out of it (relatively) unscathed. I had a few bruises. I then decided to build a little temporary shelter to harvest the bear and also leave a landmark so I could come back later to find the NPC's shelter.

Zoomed out, headed back to my base, but figured I didn't want this NPC I hired to make it out alive, seeing as he had a lot of nice woolen clothes and I wanted my woodsman axe back. I stabbed him in the face and my dog clamped down on his neck and he died. I thought it'd be a much tougher fight seeing as he was an absolute boss at killing the bear, but I suppose he was lucky then, and it had all run out by the time I attacked him. I took my stuff back, tried telling my dog to eat the corpse to hide the evidence (it didn't work) and then made my way back to homebase to dry the metric bucketload of bear meat.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Last Dark is 50% off this week's midweek madness on Steam. According to the devs, this will be the last chance to get it at the Early Access price.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The Last Dark is 50% off this week's midweek madness on Steam. According to the devs, this will be the last chance to get it at the Early Access price.

The Long Dark website is currently counting down to something 9 days away: http://www.thelongdark.com/

Speculation is that they're about to drop the story mode, which is a reasonable assumption. They've promised that the story mode will be in all-new maps and include new mechanics and, of course, NPCs, which means now would be a pretty good time to snap up that 50% off deal.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Pham Nuwen posted:

The Long Dark

:doh: What a brain fart. Hah.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Is the story in Long Dark suppose to be a full one or in episode?

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

I think the plan is episodes, with each one being 5-6 hours of gameplay.

EDIT: From December: http://hinterlandgames.com/story-mode-progress-december/

"We have about 6 hours of playable Story Mode gameplay, currently split into two episodes, and these are the episodes we will launch with."

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 25, 2017

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Buy The Long Dark. Unless you want to wait till after release and give them more money which is fine. They deserve it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TLD is one of those earlier access games where they're constantly going "Oh poo poo, this is going to take longer than expected" but they're also updating fairly consistently and always adding cool poo poo to the game, which has already been good for a while. I wouldn't be too surprised if the story mode released was a bit smaller than expected, but from what I know about how much they've been putting into it over the last year, I think it's going to be pretty good.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

All this build of what was a presumably a release date...which ended up being the release date of the release date.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Firos posted:

All this build of what was a presumably a release date...which ended up being the release date of the release date.

Yep, just saw that. loving hilarious. Love the game, but good christ guys.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't why I expected any different TBH

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I'm proud to announce that I'll be posting my opinions on this countdown at 3PM on 5/4/17 on this very forum.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh. That makes me sad, I was ready for story mode.

loga mira
Feb 16, 2011

WON'T SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE NAZIS?

Firos posted:

I know that the PS4 announcement might not seem important if you’re already playing THE LONG DARK on Steam or Xbox One, but I hope you can see how for them, it’s a really monumental step in expanding the reach of this world’s fiction and gameplay foundation they're building, so that they can continue to build THE LONG DARK into the experience they dream for it to be.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
epic

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Wow, it's remarkably stupid to post a countdown to releasing a release date. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

OneTwentySix posted:

Wow, it's remarkably stupid to post a countdown to releasing a release date. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

It happens a couple times a year and it's funny every time.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I don't really care about the dumb countdown but did they have to call it 'Wintermute?' Are we gonna get a story about a rogue AI causing a geomagnetic anomaly?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

my bony fealty posted:

I don't really care about the dumb countdown but did they have to call it 'Wintermute?' Are we gonna get a story about a rogue AI causing a geomagnetic anomaly?

maybe they'll add a hacking miniga uhh i mean a hacking menu

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Can we survive through all these countdowns!?

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

OneTwentySix posted:

Thanks for this, I was really excited to hear your thoughts.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
This was a pretty boneheaded move on their part. Apparently there's a sandbox update coming later this month: why not make the countdown to the story-mode announcement coincide with that?

That said, the overreactions on the Steam forum are hilarious.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

my bony fealty posted:

Gonna guess that's just what they're going to call the event because someone's a neuromancer fan

Which is cool, Gibson is a boss so

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Coolguye posted:

Gonna guess that's just what they're going to call the event because someone's a neuromancer fan

Which is cool, Gibson is a boss so

agreed. the bridge trilogy needs more love tho.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Dyna Soar posted:

agreed. the bridge trilogy needs more love tho.

A survival game set in the Sprawl, where you have to find your own uses for the detritus from a society that no longer recognizes you even exist. Skills can be things like Jury-Rigging, Shooting a Single Bullet Before Being Gunned Down By Corp Security Teams, and Technofetishism. Also sometimes Molly Millions shows up and starts murdering people and you have to sneak away.

(I really want CDPR's Cyberpunk game to be good)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
other times molly limps through in agonizing pain because she's lost half of her blood YET AGAIN and you can patch her up in return for some cash

i swear she spent more time hurt and gutting through it than she did healthy in neuromancer

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Anyone else tried Oxygen Not Included? Its a colony building game in the same way as Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, with a bit of Fallout Shelter thrown in. 2D side view instead of top down. I like it so far.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/457140/Oxygen_Not_Included/

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Anyone else tried Oxygen Not Included? Its a colony building game in the same way as Rimworld and Dwarf Fortress, with a bit of Fallout Shelter thrown in. 2D side view instead of top down. I like it so far.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/457140/Oxygen_Not_Included/

Come nerd out in the thread for it

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
looks p. fun, too bad it's early access. don't want to get burned out on an unfinished game

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
For those who didn't already know, you can play the test branch of the next Long Dark update by entering the code thelongdarktest in the betas tab.

It includes new features like map making, stone throwing, and snapping rabbit necks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Drunk in Space posted:

For those who didn't already know, you can play the test branch of the next Long Dark update by entering the code thelongdarktest in the betas tab.

It includes new features like map making, stone throwing, and snapping rabbit necks.

I'm just loving around in Pilgrim to see new test branch features... have they made game more numerous, or is that just part of Pilgrim? Also the broken fire watch tower in Mystery Lake was neat.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
When you say more numerous, you mean like more items and food and so on? I'm pretty sure that is just a part of Pilgrim difficulty: if you play on the higher settings, fewer things spawn to make survival harder. To be honest, I've never actually played on Pilgrim, so I couldn't really say if the amount that spawns in the test branch now is greater than before.

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 4, 2017

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Drunk in Space posted:

When you say more numerous, you mean like more items and food and so on? I'm pretty sure that is just a part of Pilgrim difficulty: if you play on the higher settings, fewer things spawn to make survival harder. To be honest, I've never actually played on Pilgrim, so I couldn't really say if the amount that spawns in the test branch now is greater than before.

I mean there's shitloads of deer and rabbits, more than I remember from when I played Pilgrim when I first bought the game.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Big update dropped today for TLD. Most notable, there is now an in-game mapping system. And a save wipe!

Trip report: started a new game on Stalker, accidentally aggro'd a wolf twice and died on the second day, same ol' TLD. I never really got past Mystery Lake and Coastal Highway in about 20 hours of playing, partly because I didn't like the lack of a map, so I'm pretty stoked to give it a real shot with the mapping, love the way they implemented it.

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jun 8, 2017

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I played a bit of the Faithful Cartographer test branch, and I liked most of it. The only issue I had was that indoor areas seemed to be too dark, but it seemed to be a pretty common complaint so hopefully it's been fixed for the live version. You can make maps with charcoal (that you get from fires after they go out), but you need to be outside and have clear visibility. The quick-menu now has food and drink options (yay!). I think having hands is new, too. WINTERMUTE is still a dumb name for a wilderness survival game to use, no matter how much snow the game has. I mean, SNOWCRASH would have at least been more appropriate to the pilot guy's story.

Also, Empyrion: Galactic Survival got a big update today, too. It's more of a building/crafting game with spaceships, but there are some survival elements (you need to manage your food, water, oxygen, and now temperature). It's very similar to 7 Days to Die, only instead of post-apoc zombies, it's aliens and spacemans. You can make your own bases and vehicles (there are also some prefabs included in the game to get you started, or you can download blueprints from the steam workshop), and eventually you'll want/need to leave the planet to get more and better stuff, especially if you play online. I think there is/was a thread for it but it kinda died out a while back, probably because people were waiting for this big update. Also, warning: early access, but the devs have been pretty solid with updating and improving the game so far. They don't have a 1.0 release date yet, but the game is very playable at the moment.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

beats for junkies posted:

WINTERMUTE is still a dumb name for a wilderness survival game to use, no matter how much snow the game has. I mean, SNOWCRASH would have at least been more appropriate to the pilot guy's story.

why? imo it's a perfect name for a winter survival game. snowcrash would have been great, too.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Dyna Soar posted:

why? imo it's a perfect name for a winter survival game. snowcrash would have been great, too.
Because both are references that are incredibly misleading if you actually get them. Generally speaking, you'd want it to do the opposite, especially if your target audience is somewhat likely to get it.

It'd be like naming a Hallmark movie marathon The Trail of Tears -- sure, it's a fitting name for what's going on, but it has other associations too.

If TLD has mapping in now, though ... drat, I really need to get back to it. How does it compare to, say, Miasmata's mapping system?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

beats for junkies posted:

I played a bit of the Faithful Cartographer test branch, and I liked most of it. The only issue I had was that indoor areas seemed to be too dark, but it seemed to be a pretty common complaint so hopefully it's been fixed for the live version. You can make maps with charcoal (that you get from fires after they go out), but you need to be outside and have clear visibility. The quick-menu now has food and drink options (yay!). I think having hands is new, too. WINTERMUTE is still a dumb name for a wilderness survival game to use, no matter how much snow the game has. I mean, SNOWCRASH would have at least been more appropriate to the pilot guy's story.

Also, Empyrion: Galactic Survival got a big update today, too. It's more of a building/crafting game with spaceships, but there are some survival elements (you need to manage your food, water, oxygen, and now temperature). It's very similar to 7 Days to Die, only instead of post-apoc zombies, it's aliens and spacemans. You can make your own bases and vehicles (there are also some prefabs included in the game to get you started, or you can download blueprints from the steam workshop), and eventually you'll want/need to leave the planet to get more and better stuff, especially if you play online. I think there is/was a thread for it but it kinda died out a while back, probably because people were waiting for this big update. Also, warning: early access, but the devs have been pretty solid with updating and improving the game so far. They don't have a 1.0 release date yet, but the game is very playable at the moment.

Empyrion is more similar to a combat/vehicle oriented minecraft, than a flat out survival sim. Food and oxygen are easy to come by, but materials for making a kickass spaceship? You'll need to work for those.
That's not to say the game's bad. I've gotten plenty of fun out of it. It's just not much of a survival game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Tbh, the only survival game I've played where the survival bits don't become pretty quickly trivial is The Long Dark.

Like, in The Forest, if you find a pond with fish, which are everywhere, you're set for the entire game on food and water, not much of a challenge :/