Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

fruit on the bottom posted:

Yeah. This was definitely money I could have spent buying The Witcher 3. But nooo, I had to scratch my Sci-fi itch.

You could have done that by buying the game with the sexy anime robots on the cover.

Has it all. Drama, comedy, romance, boar drifting, Platinum games combat, an absolutely incredible soundtrack, fishing, existentialism, and 26 distinct endings.

With so many good open world games out there, it's hard to argue for picking up Andromeda. Harder still at full price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
Going to be harder to recommend Nier:Automata to scratch the sci-fi itch with Prey just out.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

i really hope that the speculation over the remnant being connected to the synthesis ending of mass effect 3 isn't true because if it is it'll be a major plot point of this new series that'll probably underpin the whole thing through hints, side quests, world building and then eventually a big reveal and so it'll essentially have the whole story wrapped around its finger one way or another - andromeda would have best been done as its own separate thing imho

if they really wanted to explicitly follow up on the 'mystery' of me3's ending they shouldn't have gone to andromeda to escape from it, like the arks should have just been massive sleeper ships left in the milky way to reawaken post-war after a few millennia like what javik's single-man pods tried to do in his cycle - after waking up ryder & survivors could now wander a ruined, lonely galaxy littered with overgrown wreckage from the reaper war but also discover bizarre remnant technology of unknown but semi-recent origin and otherwise interact with new & enigmatic phenomena like the scourge along their travels to really make the player wonder what the gently caress happened and directly stoke their imaginations as they puzzle things together by exploring abandoned planets like thessia and uncovering fragments of data

it would at least justify the scarcity of present sentients as being only the few civilizations that have discovered spaceflight in the meantime, why their technologies are so compatible/comparable with the milky way's, and why dudes like the kett are a near-rehash of the collectors from ME2 given that they might've looted wrecked reaper technology early in their planet's history, well beyond their maturity as a species, and then started collecting other people in a quasi-religious imitation of the dead gods that uplifted them

either way, i'd still rather have the ME:A series just do its own new thing than for this series to do all this work just to build up to the lame revelation that yes, canonically shepard picked green

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hard counter posted:

i really hope that the speculation over the remnant being connected to the synthesis ending of mass effect 3 isn't true because if it is it'll be a major plot point of this new series that'll probably underpin the whole thing through hints, side quests, world building and then eventually a big reveal and so it'll essentially have the whole story wrapped around its finger one way or another - andromeda would have best been done as its own separate thing imho

if they really wanted to explicitly follow up on the 'mystery' of me3's ending they shouldn't have gone to andromeda to escape from it, like the arks should have just been massive sleeper ships left in the milky way to reawaken post-war after a few millennia like what javik's single-man pods tried to do in his cycle - after waking up ryder & survivors could now wander a ruined, lonely galaxy littered with overgrown wreckage from the reaper war but also discover bizarre remnant technology of unknown but semi-recent origin and otherwise interact with new & enigmatic phenomena like the scourge along their travels to really make the player wonder what the gently caress happened and directly stoke their imaginations as they puzzle things together by exploring abandoned planets like thessia and uncovering fragments of data

it would at least justify the scarcity of present sentients as being only the few civilizations that have discovered spaceflight in the meantime, why their technologies are so compatible/comparable with the milky way's, and why dudes like the kett are a near-rehash of the collectors from ME2 given that they might've looted wrecked reaper technology early in their planet's history, well beyond their maturity as a species, and then started collecting other people in a quasi-religious imitation of the dead gods that uplifted them

either way, i'd still rather have the ME:A series just do its own new thing than for this series to do all this work just to build up to the lame revelation that yes, canonically shepard picked green

We're not saying they're connected, we're saying Mac Walters treats Synthesis like it's his personal fetish and won't write anything else.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

oh

:shepicide:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Your story idea sounds way better than this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Your story idea sounds way better than this.

Quick put that idea to committee and have them change it six times until it's completely unrecognizable.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Error 404 posted:

Yup, controlled them right to death. With an explosion. Cuz he destroyed them.

He? Sheperd is a woman, who do you mean?

And hard counter your idea does sound much better!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's almost as if just about anybody with a shred of creativity could have put together a better story for Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

exquisite tea posted:

It's almost as if just about anybody with a shred of creativity could have put together a better story for Mass Effect: Andromeda.

They could've, but they all quit the project halfway through production :v:.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

hard counter posted:

That makes a lot more sense than what we got with andromeda. Looks like random people on the internet are better at world building than current day bioware.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I just had a pretty amusing bug, at the end of movie night when everything is romantic, Ryder didn't appear, so Peebee was just hoverhanding. At first I expected Ryder to just be slumped on the couch out cold, but nope, the model just didn't appear in the scene.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
some talk about ME:A sales

tldr: physical PC sales are worse than both ME:2 and ME:3 (the latter of which sold a third more copies), however this may be made up by digital sales, which no one is reliably tracking so :shrug:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

In 2017 physical sales for PC games don't mean anything.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

agreed, but in the void of reliable digital sales data there's nothing else to mention

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
NPD (US sales) does incorporate digital for third party releases. ME3's opening month outsold Andromeda's (don't know if that accounts for ME3 digital, which would be less significant). It did okay numbers (sub-million I believe?) but EA can't be too happy.

We'll see about its legs but the online critical consensus now seems firmly in the negative, or underwhelming side.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rinkles posted:

NPD (US sales) does incorporate digital for third party releases. ME3's opening month outsold Andromeda's (don't know if that accounts for ME3 digital, which would be less significant). It did okay numbers (sub-million I believe?) but EA can't be too happy.

We'll see about its legs but the online critical consensus now seems firmly in the negative, or underwhelming side.

"Underwhelmed" is a good word to describe my feelings about Andromeda. There's a lot about the game that I like, but a lot of infuriating, annoying, and just plain disappointing parts and decisions, too. And whoever designed the UI needs to be fed feet-first into a woodchipper.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
My only hope is that someone pops into this thread and decides not to buy the game.

I totally wish Horizon Zero Dawn was also released on pc. Seems pretty cool.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

My only hope is that someone pops into this thread and decides not to buy the game.

:same: EA is incapable of suffering, but I want them to experience the closest they can get - low profits

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I think he's laying off the Synth ending only because I'm sure in Mac Walter's mind, if the Synth ending was cannon, then the rest of the Milky Way would have gotten to Andromeda faster than the Arks because of their technologically advanced 'Synth' hyper-drives built by superior robohuman technology.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think he's laying off the Synth ending only because I'm sure in Mac Walter's mind, if the Synth ending was cannon, then the rest of the Milky Way would have gotten to Andromeda faster than the Arks because of their technologically advanced 'Synth' hyper-drives built by superior robohuman technology.

No one can claim to know what is in Mac Walter's mind.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Drifter posted:

PSPoors are pretty cheap nowadays and there are many other good PS4 exclusives besides Horizon. Just saying.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Drifter posted:

It worked, I'm going to skip this game due to this thread!

Which is why I can't stand the attitude of "if you don't like it, leave the discussion." It is really hard to get useful opinions that way.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
:siren: !!! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME !!! :siren:

should be in the OP

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Moola posted:

:siren: !!! DO NOT BUY THIS GAME !!! :siren:

should be in the OP
You're not the boss of me!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

KPC_Mammon posted:

Which is why I can't stand the attitude of "if you don't like it, leave the discussion." It is really hard to get useful opinions that way.

It's actually great when people post this, because your takeaway should be "Oh ok, the only people enjoying this are masochistic super fans who take criticism as a personal insult"

but yeah :agreed:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

tooterfish posted:

You're not the boss of me!

I just want whats best for you son

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Eh, I'm on the last mission, and I can say straight up I've enjoyed it and do not regret getting it, but then I did not suffer any of the game breaking bugs other shave reported, I had one weird graphical glitch which I posted above earlier. The story is serviceable, I enjoyed scooting around in the nomad because it gave me time to listen to the companion prattle which was almost universally good, unless Liam was involved. Was it as good as Roach? Well no, but that's probably part of it. The second last game i finished was Witcher 3, and everything is going to pale in comparison to it. I played Rise of the Tomb Raider last and it was also fine, though I got that on a steam sale rather than release price.

But my perdiction was right, this is like fallout 4. A Game I really enjoyed despite its pretty obvious flaws because I love the world it creates. But i'm not completely blind to its faults. Fanboyism isn't just liking something that is in a franchise you like, it's when you are unable to see problems or criticism of what you like. My primary rating metric is did I have fun; Yes or No. And I had fun playing this. I would rate it slightly higher than ME1, but its certainly behind 3 and 2 in my ranking. Just because a lot of the clunky mechanics and honestly boring empty planets that are everywhere reduce 1 to the worst of the series for me. That being said, i doubt i'll start a new game before any DLC comes out. I am hoping that DLC is at least good and not be like FO4's where you had a ton of pointless building packs; A fun but okay robot dlc; a quite excellent series of stories based around a new and interesting location; and an excellent location with lots to explore and discover that is based around a central mechanic which is pretty much the antithesis of how I'd ever want to play. Nuka World was just such a god drat disappointment. DA:I though had some pretty fantastic DLCs, but then the core game was pretty good to, so I don't know what to expect.

I really do not care about the Kett. I'd have preferred to just deal with a more fractured Initiative upon arrival and the Roekaar as primary antagonists.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

The shattered planet with the low gravity was the best planet. I wanted more weird stuff like that instead of two desert planets.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

JawKnee posted:

some talk about ME:A sales

tldr: physical PC sales are worse than both ME:2 and ME:3 (the latter of which sold a third more copies), however this may be made up by digital sales, which no one is reliably tracking so :shrug:
I wouldn't even know where to go to buy a physical copy, and I wouldn't know why I would want one? Physical sales are completely meaningless.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Moola posted:

It's actually great when people post this, because your takeaway should be "Oh ok, the only people enjoying this are masochistic super fans who take criticism as a personal insult"

but yeah :agreed:

aka the Wildstar defense

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Lollerich posted:

I wouldn't even know where to go to buy a physical copy, and I wouldn't know why I would want one? Physical sales are completely meaningless.

I'm one of the few that would have bought it physically due to my poo poo internet right now. Once I realized all you get is a card with a key to redeem, it was a no sell.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lollerich posted:

PC "physical" is really goddamn dumb these days, since you just get a download code 99% of the time. Console physical makes more sense, as you have something you can sell/trade in if you don't like it or played it as much as you're going to. There are also some situations (like DAI) where you might want to play it unpatched to abuse a glitch that's been removed which you can't do with a download since it bundles in the patches too.

And occasionally a developer makes a neat physical release, like some of the steelbooks or with W3 where you got a baller map.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Snuffman posted:

The shattered planet with the low gravity was the best planet. I wanted more weird stuff like that instead of two desert planets.

Ditto

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone remember the map that shipped with Morrowind?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I still have the paper map that shipped with The original Final Fantasy. I keep meaning to have it laminated or mounted but then I forget so it stays in my little box of NES goodies

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I got the cloth map that shipped with the NWN2 collectors addition (and the two rings shipped too) hanging around somewhere

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

JawKnee posted:

I got the cloth map that shipped with the NWN2 collectors addition (and the two rings shipped too) hanging around somewhere

Ha, same here. And the coin that shipped with the collectors edition of Oblivion.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's been thirty hours and Suvi still has nothing new to say. You'd think for a bang simulator Bioware would make sure that's what works. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's been thirty hours and Suvi still has nothing new to say. You'd think for a bang simulator Bioware would make sure that's what works. :v:

Suvi has about one new thing to talk about per main story quest.