Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Speaking of the Hood...

Hood AA...good? :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Don't worry, flamu made a video about it with a full AA build and will therefore get nerfed into uselessness after a reddit circlejerk.
Like what happened to the Grozovoi.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I have no problem with a mad mechanic like this making it into the game, but what I repeatedly fail to loving understand is why German ships (and now the Hood) have such good AA ratings?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

BB players spend more than CV players.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

CitizenKain posted:

Warspite – Turret traverse speed increased to 3.3 deg/sec

it'shappening.gif

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

kaesarsosei posted:

I have no problem with a mad mechanic like this making it into the game, but what I repeatedly fail to loving understand is why German ships (and now the Hood) have such good AA ratings?

It's simply because carriers are bad for the game. The AA mechanic is stupid from a game design perspective but it needs to be there to stop CV's from being even dumber than they already are. I actually enjoy playing CV's myself but I think they shouldn't be in the game in their current state. If you're not in something with defensive AA, there is simply no counter play to a good CV. If your ship has bad AA or if you've been HE spammed and lost a bunch of mounts and the CV comes for you, you die - end of story. Cruisers and DD's can at least have some hope of escaping if the CV messes up, but BB's really don't have any way of mitigating the damage other than through the AA. It's a godawful mechanic that should never have been implemented, but while WG seems to recognize this they don't seem to have any better ideas.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CVs are basically WoT arty that can scout for themselves, which basically undoes the downside of arty having to wait for scouts to spot poo poo.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Twice as funny because these rockets projectors actually were kinda garbage.

http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_UP.php

quote:

Cordite was used to ignite ("Project") a 3-inch (7.62 cm) rocket motor which propelled a fin-stabilized 7-inch (17.8 cm) diameter Parachute and Cable (PAC) rocket which carried a 8.4 oz (238 g) mine. When the rocket reached approximately 1,000 feet (330 m), it exploded and put out the mine which was attached to three parachutes by 400 feet (122 m) of wire. The design concept was that if a plane hit the parachutes or the wire, it would then pull the mine into itself.

quote:

In addition, reloading was slow and the mines showed an alarming tendency to drift back onto the firing ship.

That's some cartoony poo poo there. Like the roadrunner coyote getting entangled in his own ACME trap.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 7, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Update from a french dude on Flamu's stream: legal weed from Switzerland is poo poo. ~1% THC.

You're all welcome.

e: lmao another Flamu stream update- "retnav54 : Flamu, NA forums are calling you a troll and jacktard over your Hood AA video, lol"

e2: you're all missing out if you're not watching Flamu stream just to see him get salty https://clips.twitch.tv/JazzyObliviousFishOneHand

Hammerstein posted:

Twice as funny because these rockets projectors actually were kinda garbage.

http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_UP.php

That's some cartoony poo poo there. Like the roadrunner coyote getting entangled in his own ACME trap.

Still probably not the worst weapon system the Brits came up with in WWII.

Godlessdonut fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 7, 2017

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

TheFluff posted:

It's simply because carriers are bad for the game. The AA mechanic is stupid from a game design perspective but it needs to be there to stop CV's from being even dumber than they already are. I actually enjoy playing CV's myself but I think they shouldn't be in the game in their current state. If you're not in something with defensive AA, there is simply no counter play to a good CV. If your ship has bad AA or if you've been HE spammed and lost a bunch of mounts and the CV comes for you, you die - end of story. Cruisers and DD's can at least have some hope of escaping if the CV messes up, but BB's really don't have any way of mitigating the damage other than through the AA. It's a godawful mechanic that should never have been implemented, but while WG seems to recognize this they don't seem to have any better ideas.

Well, individual ships having no answer to airstrikes is certainly true-to-life. The Yamato only shot down 10 planes out of the 280 attacking it.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Vengarr posted:

Well, individual ships having no answer to airstrikes is certainly true-to-life. The Yamato only shot down 10 planes out of the 280 attacking it.

They recognized the Yamato from youtube and blobbed it.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

El Disco posted:

They recognized the Yamato from youtube and blobbed it.

As he lashed himself to the wheel, the captain carved "XVM Suxx" into it.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

wdarkk posted:

As he lashed himself to the wheel, the captain carved "XVM Suxx" into it.

New thread title??

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

A string of high score losses, topped off by a win where a dumbfuck cruiser teamkilled me by spamming torpedoes into a BB brawl.

I'm glad it's Sunday.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Sperglord Actual posted:

A string of high score losses, topped off by a win where a dumbfuck cruiser teamkilled me by spamming torpedoes into a BB brawl.

I'm glad it's Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNVEYO4BNKQ&t=22s

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
What nation has the best destroyers? Is it Germany? I hope it's Germany, because I've sunk so many hours into their boats.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

What nation has the best destroyers? Is it Germany? I hope it's Germany, because I've sunk so many hours into their boats.

Lol no, German destroyers are terrible. US DDs are the best at high tiers. Until T7, Japanese DDs are the friendliest.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
How often does WG do doubloon bonus sales? I need a few to move my speed boost mods around, but not immediately.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
At least I can easily get up to Tier 3 in Japanese stuff.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Cippalippus posted:

Lol no, German destroyers are terrible. US DDs are the best at high tiers. Until T7, Japanese DDs are the friendliest.

I and the Mutsuki do not get along.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Russian destroyers play like little cruisers with railguns, no citadel, and 40kt speeds. Highly recommended.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cippalippus posted:

I wouldn't go that far, Akatsuki is only ok, and Shiratsuyu is a decent single gimmick boat, but the Hatsuharu is quite bad, and I haven't driven them but people don't speak highly of the post nerf and reshuffle Fubuki and Minekaze.

If anything I'd say the US destroyers are best at low tiers, and second best at high tiers next to the VMF light cruisers.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The Izumo is borderline unplayable now. It wasn't exactly good earlier either, but what really tipped it onto the garbage heap was IFHE. It used to be that it was pretty resistant against HE spam because it had no superstructure to speak of, but what it is now is one loving gigantic 32mm flat deck that every single 15cm IFHE gun will happily penetrate and do damage against. You take 5.5k damage from every single loving Mogami volley, and they love shooting at you because you're huge and spotted from the moon. On top of that, your enormous and rather poorly armored barbettes makes you lose turrets from every other BB salvo when attempting to bow tank them - and you have to, because your concealment is a whopping 14.5 km, and that's with the module and CE, so you get shot at a lot simply because there's nobody else to shoot at. The Izumo is the only ship I regularly lose turrets on permanently. The guns have good stats on paper, but there's something about them that makes them far, far inferior to even the North Carolina's - you get an absolute assload of odd ricochets, overpens at point blank range and other weird poo poo.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Cippalippus posted:

German DDs are first or second in non-premium win rate in tiers 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 4 and 3.They're actually really competitive.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
With the XP conversion sale this weekend on NA I couldn't help but make the biggest mistake of my life:

:downs:

At least it seems to have worked out ok:

(Ignore the amount of XP; it's the result of perma-camo + double XP first win)
Not the greatest of Midway plays, but given that it was literally my second ever CV game in weeks (the last time I think was sometime at the end of March) I'll take it.

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 8, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man

How the hell do you have 13 million credits

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Sperglord Actual posted:

How the hell do you have 13 million credits
Because I had 47 million before I bought the Midway + upgrades + mods, duh

poo poo's expensive yo

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

ranbo das posted:

German DDs are first or second in non-premium win rate in tiers 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 4 and 3.They're actually really competitive.

Good torpedo spammers. Unlike IJN where they blow one massive load of torps with their consumables, the Germans get a steady stream every 90s at upper tier

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
I hate all bomber carriers when they're on my team. They just get all their poo poo shot down in the first five minutes and then AFK the rest of the match. Assholes.

But then one in ten will just rip the throat out of the enemy's carriers early on and proceed to sky murder every boat that is not himself

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
MORE TORP | JAP > US > GER > RUS (Groz) > RUS (Khab) | MORE GUN

Despite some ugly ducklings, all lines seem competitive.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
US is at least as gun-y as GER, comon now. Arguably more so due to having better tools to utilize them (super smoke), non-poo poo HE, and at the lower tiers having worse torpedoes.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
At high tier they get obliterated by German DD in gun duel.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

There are some rather strict caveats for that to happen, however.

Z-52's AP shells are not that strong against other ships, including destroyers if they are not fully broadside, even a slight angle will reduce your damage by a noticeable amount. On the other hand, it receives extra AP damage through the virtue of being so fat and has trouble manoeuvring due to its large turning circle and somewhat sluggish rudder shift in comparison. The one major advantage of Z-52 in destroyer fights is being able to creep up upon a smoke cloud or deploying your own and utilising hydroacoustic search.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Did anything change that would either directly or indirectly nerf the Molotov recently? I took it out today and found 90% of my shells were doing zero dmg. Felt really awful.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

kaesarsosei posted:

Did anything change that would either directly or indirectly nerf the Molotov recently? I took it out today and found 90% of my shells were doing zero dmg. Felt really awful.

It's kind of got caught up in the power creep over the last months. It's still a decent ship but it has become a lot more situational rather than the rail gun monster it used to be. The MM hasn't helped as a lot of the power creep has been to ships of a higher tier that it regularly gets to meet. Still a drat good seal clubber when it gets to be top tier though.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

Warspite – Turret traverse speed increased to 3.3 deg/sec
Hood – Turret traverse speed increased to 5 deg/sec

That is going to be a huge improvement on those ships. 3.3 on the Warspite put its right around the Fuso and Bayern, 5 on the Hood makes it equal to the Gneisenau.

Now instead of getting your poo poo pushed in during tier 8 battles in the Warspite,, you'll now have your poo poo pushed in with your guns on target!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Much ado about giant foreheads. It's something the Warspite will never be able to shrug off.

psy.Che
Feb 23, 2011
Are German cruisers and BBs fun to play and able to compete? I've played IJN and USN when the open beta started for a few months, and wanted to try something new as I give this game another chance. Also I'm German, so I can't wait to have my brilliantly engineered Königstiger of the seas.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
The German battleships are very fun and noob friendly. Their engineering is far from brilliant though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

German cruisers are good too, I'm up to Hipper and the only bad one so far has been Karlsruhe at tier 4. They do have the same style jump from nippy and fragile CLs to more solid CAs as the Japanese cruisers do though, albeit the jump happens 2 tiers higher (Tenryu & Kuma -> Furutaka vs Konigsberg & Nurnberg -> Yorck)