Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cheers. :)

Just wish my FB buddies were a little less defensive about this stuff. I'm asking what makes this person a Nazi because I genuinely don't know much about them. Why is that such a weird thing for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

poptart_fairy posted:

Just wish my FB buddies were a little less defensive about this stuff. I'm asking what makes this person a Nazi because I genuinely don't know much about them. Why is that such a weird thing for people.

because apparently when you are super woke, you dont have to educate, you just tell people to do their own research in a condescending way. I think thats the fringe benefit of being super woke or something.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Le Pen is also staunchly anti-globalization, much like the people protesting her now were up until a year or so ago.

Now globalization is peachy keen as far as the left are concerned simply because the right don't like it.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You guys know why Hillary lost? Lengthy explanations only, please.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
she bad lol

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Also of note - she took over party leadership from her dad, Jean-Marie Le Pen, whose slogan was "France for the French", denied the Holocaust (eventually changing his tone to say it was a "minor footnote"), and verbally abused and attacked minorities.

Marine's basically whitewashed the party a little, like changing the slogan to "France First", but there's a still a strong fascist undercurrent there.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

poptart_fairy posted:

Also she denied the role of Vichy France in exterminating Parisian Jews.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/apr/09/marine-le-pen-denies-french-role-wartime-roundup-paris-jews

sorry for perpetuating the derail

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
well i suppose its good she lost hard as gently caress today :france:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

sneakyfrog posted:

well i suppose its good she lost hard as gently caress today :france:

Thank goodness.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm happy for the French. Not only is their new president not a nazi, but he also has a cool-rear end supervillain surname.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Nordick posted:

I'm happy for the French. Not only is their new president not a nazi, but he also has a cool-rear end supervillain surname.

And he boned his high school teacher or some poo poo. Dude's just a cool guy. I bet he can do a flip off the diving board!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Ah, that clarifies it a little bit then. Seeing Nazi thrown around so commonly has made it seem pretty limp now, so :v:

It's not like people who voted for the literal Nazi party back in the day were thinking "oh nice he's going to start gassing jews left and right and lose a war."

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's not like people who voted for the literal Nazi party back in the day were thinking "oh nice he's going to start gassing jews left and right and lose a war."

Hitler was the lesser of two evils so imagine how bad the other guy was

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Two Finger posted:

Hitler was the lesser of two evils so imagine how bad the other guy was

Judging by recent elections....a woman? HEYOOOOOOOO!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nordick posted:

Is it wrong to think that Le Pen's failure may have at least partially been due to people who were on the fence about electing a white nationalist "fascist lite" seeing what happened when America did it and not wanting to pull the same stunt?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

chitoryu12 posted:

Is it wrong to think that Le Pen's failure may have at least partially been due to people who were on the fence about electing a white nationalist "fascist lite" seeing what happened when America did it and not wanting to pull the same stunt?

It's probably due to Macron basically coming out of nowhere and the Russians not having enough material to work with in order to sink him. See also that limp-dick 11th hour dump of hacked campaign files.

The Trump thing probably helped though.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

chitoryu12 posted:

I think this is a very safe bet. The US is very much the world's current example of what not to do.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

spudsbuckley posted:

Le Pen is also staunchly anti-globalization, much like the people protesting her now were up until a year or so ago.

Now globalization is peachy keen as far as the left are concerned simply because the right don't like it.

If that's your take on it, you're probably not interested in reality, but I'm not going to let this nonsense stand for anyone else who happens to be reading.

The left has opposed and will continue to oppose international systems of economic exploitation. The left has generally favored organizations of political cooperation such as the UN.

The EU has both political and economic implications, so many on the left will have mixed feelings about it, but they will consistently be in favor of institutions that reduce conflict between nations and against institutions that destroy labor and weaken the middle and working classes.

The inconsistency is only in your mind.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
PYF Bad rear end Pictures: Let's detail about politics for 8 pages

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rerail.

http://i.imgur.com/mEBiKug.mp4

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
Macron is the ultimate milf hunter and y'all just jealous

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

spudsbuckley posted:

"Sure, we disagree on issues of basic human rights, but if you take the global political economy and simplify it down to a single vaguely defined term, we're mostly on the same side!"

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Base Camp Blanket posted:

If that's your take on it, you're probably not interested in reality, but I'm not going to let this nonsense stand for anyone else who happens to be reading.

The left has opposed and will continue to oppose international systems of economic exploitation. The left has generally favored organizations of political cooperation such as the UN.

The EU has both political and economic implications, so many on the left will have mixed feelings about it, but they will consistently be in favor of institutions that reduce conflict between nations and against institutions that destroy labor and weaken the middle and working classes.

The inconsistency is only in your mind.

Explain the G7/G8/G20 protests then.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

spudsbuckley posted:

No shes anti (((globalism)))
As in the shadowy globalist probably banker cabal who make your life suck.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

spudsbuckley posted:

Explain the G7/G8/G20 protests then.

Those were against economic exploitation, you deliberately ignorant shitler.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Nordick posted:

Every time I see his name in print I can't help but think of typography.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It just makes me want a macaron.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

VanSandman posted:

Those were against economic exploitation, you deliberately ignorant shitler.

Fair enough.

Heard on the news that there is already a protest against Macrons potentially "expansionist" economic policies planned for this week.

They interviewed some people who were organizing it and they said they all voted for him so that Le Pen wouldn't win.

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Sure glad that the 30 new posts since I had last visited the badass pictures thread was a discussion on French politics rather than 30 new badass pictures. I'd hate to have seen a whole bunch of cool photos relating to the topic of this thread.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

spudsbuckley posted:

Fair enough.

Heard on the news that there is already a protest against Macrons potentially "expansionist" economic policies planned for this week.

They interviewed some people who were organizing it and they said they all voted for him so that Le Pen wouldn't win.

This is pretty much how the French election system works. In round 1, you vote for the candidate you want. In round 2, you vote against the candidate you don't want.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression
Holy poo poo can we shut up about French politics, please?

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-39845625

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

om nom nom posted:

Sure glad that the 30 new posts since I had last visited the badass pictures thread was a discussion on French politics rather than 30 new badass pictures. I'd hate to have seen a whole bunch of cool photos relating to the topic of this thread.

No matter how hard you try to get the thread back on track, the pathetic hard-wired brains of the derailers can't be rerouted.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

The chemtrails are becoming sentient, we're all hosed.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Reminds me more of an SR-71 than a Concorde.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Crossposting from the cosplay thread:

A dude in Australia made a full Iron Man costume so he could visit kids in hospital and cheer them up. It's got all the lights, a mouth control in the helmet that lifts the visor, a voice changer that automatically starts when the visor closes and a few more tricks. Here he is at a Starlight foundation charity fundraiser where he walked around in the suit for 3 hours:

http://imgur.com/gallery/vJybi

Oh and he made the suit out of steel, it weighs 37kg (81.5 lbs)

It took him 3 years to finish the project, he had to go on a crazy crash diet earlier this year because he'd put on some weight and he didn't fit in the suit any more. :v:

His imgur gallery: http://imgur.com/user/barryarmstead/submitted

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Crossposting from the cosplay thread:

A dude in Australia made a full Iron Man costume so he could visit kids in hospital and cheer them up. It's got all the lights, a mouth control in the helmet that lifts the visor, a voice changer that automatically starts when the visor closes and a few more tricks. Here he is at a Starlight foundation charity fundraiser where he walked around in the suit for 3 hours:

http://imgur.com/gallery/vJybi

Oh and he made the suit out of steel, it weighs 37kg (81.5 lbs)

It took him 3 years to finish the project, he had to go on a crazy crash diet earlier this year because he'd put on some weight and he didn't fit in the suit any more. :v:

His imgur gallery: http://imgur.com/user/barryarmstead/submitted

Looking at his gallery he does landscaping work and likes to rescue spiders when they fell trees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

I don't have any images from the same angle as the cloud, but I do have this:

Anyone have that story about the time some SR-71 pilots were going to do a low altitude fly-by and narrowly missed crashing into the spectators? Got out of it doing a full burn and gave the people one hell of a show, according to the story?