Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wirth1000 posted:

Both Porsche and Toyota have said there's no room for Alonso in 2018 for le mans. Porsche says they have no room as all 6 of their drivers are contracted for next season and Toyota could potentially accommodate him but they have no interest in a big name driver and consider their own driver line up to be balanced.

So it's gonna be weird to see Alonso in a Toyota in 2018 lol

He would have to leave Honda. There's no way they would let this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Rubens was the guy who won in the Brawn after it wasn't the best car on the grid anymore. True legend imo, what a driver.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wirth1000 posted:

Both Porsche and Toyota have said there's no room for Alonso in 2018 for le mans. Porsche says they have no room as all 6 of their drivers are contracted for next season and Toyota could potentially accommodate him but they have no interest in a big name driver and consider their own driver line up to be balanced.

So it's gonna be weird to see Alonso in a Toyota in 2018 lol

Porsche to field a 4th car ran by Nando alone for 24h straight.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Rubens was the guy who won in the Brawn after it wasn't the best car on the grid anymore. True legend imo, what a driver.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Replace "Rubens" with "Bottas" and "Brawn" with "Mercedes" and you'll see why that is such a loving terrible opinion.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Theophany posted:

Replace "Rubens" with "Bottas" and "Brawn" with "Mercedes" and you'll see why that is such a loving terrible opinion.

Don't copy/paste poo poo from Reddit.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

simplefish posted:

Yeah Lewis does tend to get hosed on ~mindgames~, the way he was asking about whether Bottas had similar issues and was prickly about being told where frogboy was behind him, armchair psychologist I know, but seems like he's more focused on others than his own race. That historically has not worked out well for him.

This is basically the British mentality of "so who do I blame?" as soon as something isn't going right, rather than be seen to take ownership and try to fix it.
I mean maybe it's not just British people that do this, but gently caress me has my whole working life not been one long restraint against murdering these types of useless wastes of air.

Also lol @ people defending Rubens "lapped in the same car" Barichello

Khablam fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 5, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

Don't copy/paste poo poo from Reddit.

Don't post/agree with objectively poo poo opinions is the obvious rebuttal to that. :shrug:

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rubens "Couldn't win in a car Johnny Herbert did" Barichello

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Bottas was the guy who won in the Mercedes after it wasn't the best car on the grid anymore. True legend imo, what a driver.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rubens wasn't great, but comparing him winning late in the season in a Brawn that hadn't seen any development to Bottas winning now that Ferrari has caught up is just so stupid on so many levels.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Rubens wasn't great, but comparing him winning late in the season in a Brawn that hadn't seen any development to Bottas winning now that Ferrari has caught up is just so stupid on so many levels.

I agree. Bottas cheated to win that race and Massa should be imprisoned under EU law.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

wicka posted:

I guess the obvious solution would be to not be so poo poo earlier in the season. Too bad Barichello was too skilled to not do that.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Jacky Ickx, the original Grand Prix playboy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

I guess the obvious solution would be to not be so poo poo earlier in the season. Too bad Barichello was too skilled to not do that.

Ross Brawn was biased against him, likely due to his British racism and white privilege.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Wirth1000 posted:

This is just offensive and both these companies should be boycotted. Andretti/Honda/McLaren and some random rich dude paid to run an EXTRA CAR at Indy just for Nando. Porsche and Toyota should be ashamed.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Ross Brawn was biased against him, likely due to his British racism and white privilege.

Yes. Because Rubens was so good that a team owner would sabotage his own investment in such an ~~amazing~~ driver for some racist lark.

You have convinced me.

Alternatively, all those years at Ferrari he knew thought he'd just suck it up like a paid second driver. Which is more plausible?

Theophany fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 5, 2017

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Norns posted:

He doesn't care, does he? If he can get Indy this year (longshot, but who knows), and Honda can't find him a seat for Le Mans in the next year or 2, I wouldn't be surprised to see him leave. I think he's given up on more WDCs and is going for triple crown.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Theophany posted:

Yes. Because Rubens was so good that a team owner would sabotage his own investment in such an ~~amazing~~ driver for some racist lark.

You have convinced me.

Alternatively, all those years at Ferrari he knew thought he'd just suck it up like a paid second driver. Which is more plausible?

It's not my job to educate you on your privilege.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

C'mon guys the thread is barely on the rails during an off-week, don't nudge it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not much in the news, Pirelli may have screwed up the mediums for Spain, Renault continue to be hopeful that things will improve very soon and Their Chase has been slagging off Bernie in corporate speak https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-was-held-back-by-ecclestone-says-carey-901769/

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.
A Reuben is a good kind of sandwich. That's the only positive think I have to say.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Norns posted:

only if he re-signs with them in 18

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

This is just offensive and both these companies should be boycotted. Andretti/Honda/McLaren and some random rich dude paid to run an EXTRA CAR at Indy just for Nando. Porsche and Toyota should be ashamed.

i think he stole someone elses seat, they arent running extra car

Dubs fucked around with this message at 10:06 on May 6, 2017

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, he replaced Stefan "Brother of the Indycar driver" Wilson in that car.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
That's the "random rich dude" I mentioned. Porsche and Toyota don't have such dudes? Sad companies.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
https://twitter.com/F1/status/860744917496340480

Be interesting to see who manages more laps of Monza in 2 hours between this guy or Alonso in the Italian GP

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

There is no way the current Honda engine can survive Monza. It would rattle itself to dust. Vandoorne will come to a grinding halt somewhere on track and when the engineers take off the engine cover and the entire thing is just going to blow away like talcum powder.

It'll be Vandoorne that discovers this because Alonso will have hung himself already.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Carth Dookie posted:

There is no way the current Honda engine can survive Monza. It would rattle itself to dust. Vandoorne will come to a grinding halt somewhere on track and when the engineers take off the engine cover and the entire thing is just going to blow away like talcum powder.

It'll be Vandoorne that discovers this because Alonso will have hung himself already.

Or else Alonso decides that "... I like having a car that works and won't poo poo itself" and commits to Indy for the rest of the season.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Carth Dookie posted:

Nah, they'll probably have upgraded it twice by that point.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Nah, they'll probably have upgraded it twice by that point.

Paging Poster Buzzkill to The Worst Thread; Poster Buzzkill

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
How many beatings between here and his first F1 race win?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Not nearly enough, clearly

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Oh he always looked like that.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
How is his face so wide and Jos's so narrow?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Looks like he got a good whack on his upper lip.

Jos probably pushed his wife down the stairs while she was pregnant with Max.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

quote:

Williams driver Felipe Massa says working with rookie teammate Lance Stroll this year reminds him of the time he was mentored by Michael Schumacher at Ferrari a decade ago.

Massa was called up from retirement this year by Williams, who sought an experienced teammate for 18-year-old F3 graduate Stroll after original choice Valtteri Bottas had left for Mercedes.

In 2006, Massa had himself served as the newcomer in a Ferrari line-up that also featured F1 legend Schumacher – who backed out of the sport at the end of that year, allowing the Brazilian to carry on as a Scuderia driver.

Asked this past weekend in Sochi whether the intra-team dynamics at Williams in 2017 reminded him of the time he spent alongside Schumacher at Ferrari, Massa quipped: “Yeah, I think so - I think I am passing [information] to Lance a little bit easier than Michael was passing to me.”

He elaborated: “I was asking more than what he [Schumacher] was giving - but he was giving, he was giving a lot. For sure, when I was in front, he was not 100 percent happy.

“But I was asking a lot because I always saw Michael as a teacher, as a master, and I was not afraid to ask, to say 'what are you doing here, what are you doing there', I was asking everything I could from him.

“And he was telling me. But sometimes I needed to ask, he would not tell for free, you know.”

Talking about his current relationship with Stroll, Massa said: “I'm helping him a lot, trying to pass everything I see, I pass to him. [We] get along very well and everything I can do to help him, I'm doing.

“For example, maybe in one corner I'm doing something that he's losing laptime there, so then he's just asking, I say 'oh you should do like this, like that'. Yeah, [it's] no problem.”

Massa, who has picked up all 18 of Williams' points this year so far, said he “was ready” to carry the brunt of scoring while Stroll learned the ropes in F1.

“For sure, it's better to have both drivers scoring points for the team, that's what we need, that's what every team needs in the end. But we cannot forget he's learning, starting.

“He's definitely learning and, as I said, we just need to give the time.”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/massa-reminded-of-schumacher-s-mentorship-by-stroll-link-up-900990/

loving lol, all he's doing is insulting himself with this comparison.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Cut him some slack, he is brain damaged after all.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

Cut him some slack, he is brain damaged after all.

Even MSC is better at that than Massa.

Forever the student.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

lol Massa burning himself is pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Wirth1000 posted:

Even MSC is better at that than Massa.