Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
The refs essentially bailed the Pats out until they won soooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

leftist heap posted:

The NFL has pass interference rules that are absolutely awful and hugely game changing more than anything is in the NBA, a persistent, ongoing philosophical debate of what even IS a catch man, even more arbitrary rules about what is and is not reviewable, and punitive rules about basically having any sort of fun on the field. The idea that it's worthy of praise or emulation is insane.

Don't forget holding, lowering the head, targeting, etc.

It's like a million different versions of basketball's block/charge rule.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I'd also argue that LeBron gets reputation non-calls too. You got to knock him over sometimes to get a call. He gets played more physical than it's even possible to play some guys (takes contact that would knock other people over)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
NFL has some dumb rules. Sudden death overtime in a sport where a team's offense and defense isn't on the field at the same time. A coin flip can have a dramatic effect on the outcome of games. Meanwhile, NCAA football games can be reffed by people who are wearing team gear in their Facebook profile pics/actively fans of a team in their assignment.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 22:50 on May 7, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Also NFL is a bloodsport that turns promising young athletes into drooling broken retards who shoot themselves in the chest to preserve their brains for science whereas pro basketball is basically a charity for afflicted men too tall to have healthy lives otherwise

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
MLB has the strike zone and the balk rule. One of the worst enforced rules in all of pro sports. NBA still has a foul call problem

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

EvanTH posted:

I'd also argue that LeBron gets reputation non-calls too. You got to knock him over sometimes to get a call. He gets played more physical than it's even possible to play some guys (takes contact that would knock other people over)

John Wall was complaining the other day that because refs think he's a powerful driver like Lebron he gets murdered in the lane and refs let it slide because they think he's stronger and more physical than he actually is.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Assuming LeBron has a regular career performance arc from this point what does it take for him to be considered the greatest of his generation (or is he already) and greatest of all time? Two more championships?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
To be GOAT LeBron had to finish that dunk over Green last finals. It might always be up for debate now

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

patonthebach posted:

Assuming LeBron has a regular career performance arc from this point what does it take for him to be considered the greatest of his generation (or is he already) and greatest of all time? Two more championships?

he needs to top jordan's career .556 minor league OPS

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

patonthebach posted:

Already greatest of his generation. Nobody from his generation is even close. For all time it depends who you are talking to. The got rings crowd (that always seems to forget Bill Russell) will always find a reason to claim Jordan was better unless he ends up with 7 or more. I think he is the goat. There will probably never be an undisputed goat as it's subjective. We should probably just label players GOAT tier and leave it at that.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 7, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

patonthebach posted:

Already is the GOAT

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

EvanTH posted:

To be GOAT LeBron had to finish that dunk over Green last finals. It might always be up for debate now

Still wish that happened gently caress me the world would have collapsed

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

patonthebach posted:

Who on earth would be the greatest from LeBron's generation otherwise?

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

leftist heap posted:

I'd say he is. Not sure if other sports commentator think it's up for debate. I guess some people include Kobe in the same generation but LBJ is better

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

leftist heap posted:

Carlos Boozer

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

leftist heap posted:

The NFL has pass interference rules that are absolutely awful and hugely game changing more than anything is in the NBA, a persistent, ongoing philosophical debate of what even IS a catch man, even more arbitrary rules about what is and is not reviewable, and punitive rules about basically having any sort of fun on the field. The idea that it's worthy of praise or emulation is insane.

also an entire team gets to ignore the PI and illegal contact rules just cause i guess? reputation calls exist in every sport and having an entire team be the only ones who can play pass defense seems worse than sometimes someone gets a touch foul

Ghost Dog fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 7, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

patonthebach posted:

And lol @ anyone that doesn't think reputation calls are a huge problem in NBA. If you don't I'd love to know what team you support

Sometimes it goes the opposite way. I've seen LBJ get smacked on the head and his bandana/headband goes flying off and the refs don't call anything because the Heat/Cavs are up by a ton already.

I support the Chicago Premature Threejaculation.

EvanTH posted:

How can you know when the NFL broadcast doesn't even show all the players

I would like the NBA referees to have those loud speaking voices as they do in the NFL. And then give players mics to respond. Enough with the hand gestures and lip reading.

Ghost Dog posted:

lebrons greatest nemesis is a mythical MJ who never existed and whose deeds and abilities are constantly changed just to malign Him imo

All those people who don't count MJs perennial playoff exits from the 1980s and act like MJ entered the league in 1991.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

is lebron's greatest nemesis the warriors, the spurs or the celtics?

LBJ basically doesn't have a nemesis.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

I bet Lebron could beat godzilla in a one on one

It would be good if there was a thing such as MechaLeBron. LBJ would still defeat him like Godzilla does in that one film.

Spacebump posted:

Meanwhile, NCAA football games can be reffed by people who are wearing team gear in their Facebook profile pics/actively fans of a team in their assignment.

The NCAA is... shameful!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AggressivelyStupid posted:

That's the OG one, there are others

One of my favorite NBA thread posts was somebody calling this the First Share Zone

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

One of my favorite NBA thread posts was somebody calling this the First Share Zone

woah

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i really fuckin want that shirt

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Drake is definitely a skipper

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

is lebron's greatest nemesis the warriors, the spurs or the celtics?

The regular season Bulls.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

leftist heap posted:

Tim Duncan overlaps a lot.

patonthebach posted:

Flush the rings right down the toilet. LBJ may just continue to rack up conference championships (something not cited enough when measuring players careers) because of GSWs unholy alliance. When I see Phil Jackson or Bill Russell wearing 10+ rings and cradling another few in their hands with some goofy grin on their face it's a little gaudy and garish anyway. They look like a couple of greedy leprechauns trying to compensate for something missing in their lives.

Ultimately it seems a lot of the players don't care about the rings in the long run as many have auctioned them off to the filthy rich. Now maybe that's because they need to put food in their mouth but maybe some just don't care.

I'm no metallurgist but it doesn't take much to see that you can't measure talent by the amount of metal around a finger. And no NBA ring imbues its wearer with any special powers or privileges unlike the signet rings of kings and rulers in the olden days.

Let's get down to brass tacks. LBJ must do two things to be the no doubt undisputed GOAT. First he must reach 280+ career regular-season WS. Then he must reach 6,000+ career regular-season NP. Then and only then will he surpass Kareem and steal his golden chalice.

PS If LBJ does the first ever 12-0 conference sweep in NBA/ABA history it'd be another feather in the cap. He has a reasonable shot to dunk IT in four straight games.

EvanTH posted:

Also NFL is a bloodsport that turns promising young athletes into drooling broken retards who shoot themselves in the chest to preserve their brains for science whereas pro basketball is basically a charity for afflicted men too tall to have healthy lives otherwise

The NFL needs more armor to protect the brains.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

That's perfect

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

EvanTH posted:

I really think this is true
That dunk would have elevated him beyond all.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

He'd also be in jail for murder because Draymond Green would be dead.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

if you think about it draymond saved the lives of millions of people and prevented the banning of basketball since that dunk was the Chaos Dunk

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Is there anyways the raps can get rid of demarre Carroll's albatross contact?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That dunk would have put them up 5 with 10 s to go

It was basically the most perfect thing marred by an international criminal

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtHkiHAZ3rI

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The most important part of every basketball legacy: Win Shares and Net Points

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Zogo posted:

Tim Duncan overlaps a lot.

Flush the rings right down the toilet. LBJ may just continue to rack up conference championships (something not cited enough when measuring players careers) because of GSWs unholy alliance. When I see Phil Jackson or Bill Russell wearing 10+ rings and cradling another few in their hands with some goofy grin on their face it's a little gaudy and garish anyway. They look like a couple of greedy leprechauns trying to compensate for something missing in their lives.

Ultimately it seems a lot of the players don't care about the rings in the long run as many have auctioned them off to the filthy rich. Now maybe that's because they need to put food in their mouth but maybe some just don't care.

I'm no metallurgist but it doesn't take much to see that you can't measure talent by the amount of metal around a finger. And no NBA ring imbues its wearer with any special powers or privileges unlike the signet rings of kings and rulers in the olden days.

Let's get down to brass tacks. LBJ must do two things to be the no doubt undisputed GOAT. First he must reach 280+ career regular-season WS. Then he must reach 6,000+ career regular-season NP. Then and only then will he surpass Kareem and steal his golden chalice.

PS If LBJ does the first ever 12-0 conference sweep in NBA/ABA history it'd be another feather in the cap. He has a reasonable shot to dunk IT in four straight games.

The NFL needs more armor to protect the brains.

Duncan is of Shaq's era, whom ascended after Jordan. Iverson was being groomed, but usurper, Kobe, progeny of Jordan, prevailed. Kobe was ended by the era of point guards that Iverson was meant to herald, but sterns white America was not ready then. It is to be seen if Lebron a start of something, or if he was just unique.

Anyways, Lebron will never be GOAT even if he is. You mentioned players not valuing rings, they also don't value assist. Jordan scored, alot, and players respect scoring the most of all, as do the public.

Curry is LeBron's nemesis. He is his opposite.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lebron is the goat. It's not even close imho.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
If the Raptors decide to rebuild my dream is that we trade Derozan to the Lakers and fleece Magic in a classic Ma$ai move. That's my fan-fiction of the day, thanks for reading, god bless.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

patonthebach posted:

MLB has the strike zone and the balk rule. One of the worst enforced rules in all of pro sports. NBA still has a foul call problem

NBA officiating is the best it's been in my lifetime and is immensely better than either MLB or NFL, and I say this is someone who has probably complained about NBA officiating in the majority of my SA posts.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Femur posted:

You mentioned players not valuing rings, they also don't value assist.

You mentioned players not valuing rings, they also don't value assist. Tattoo this on my body.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

verbal enema posted:

I need that in every sense of the word

I bought mine off eBay and it's been a solid purchase, a truly solid purchase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

euphronius posted:

Lebron is the goat. It's not even close imho.

Yep.

• Locked thread