Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Chokes McGee posted:

That was cute, and at least the fan service established Ashi has had zero interaction with people outside of murdering them. Bumbling fight romance was just the best. :allears:

I'll admit, the bumbling fight romance near the end was kind of funny (if not somewhat cheesy). I don't usually think about how much he looks like Professor Utonium, but...I was definitely getting those vibes, especially with his reaction to Ashi losing her clothes :kekeke: .

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Malcolm XML posted:

holy poo poo better inform adult swim that ***VolticSurge*** has stopped watching.....

It's over, it's all over, the entire reason for this series had gone up in smoke

What have you dooooooooone :negative:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Fionordequester posted:

I'll admit, the bumbling fight romance near the end was kind of funny (if not somewhat cheesy). I don't usually think about how much he looks like Professor Utonium, but...I think this is about the same way he'd react to some awkard dating hijinks :kekeke: .

Yeah, I loved the afterglow panting followed by immediate HOMF and the silly music. I think if you're gonna breach the topic of sex in this show that it was thematically appropriate.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly think that Samurai Jack shouldn't have any recurring characters beyond Jack, Aku, and the Scotsman once a season. I thought it was so awesome when episode 3 ended with the first multi-episode threat that Jack had ever faced was defeated, followed immediately by him literally falling into what I assumed would be a whole new tightly paced heart-pounding adventure where he'd be pushed to his limits.
Nope, love story.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
This wasn't horrible, but the "oh no you're naked!" bit was cheesy and fanservice-y. People are comparing this to Korra, but I'm going to compare it to Avengers Age of Ultron: there's a woman around, therefore someone simply must be sheathing his sword in her even though it adds nothing to the plot. The song was cute, though.

Prediction: a bunch of time will have passed when the next episode starts.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Snipee posted:

Lol, so I just checked Wikipedia, and it confirmed that Tara Strong voiced Batgirl in that film too. How does she get so many leading roles? Are there only a small number of competent voice actors in the country?

I've said it before: all the other female voice actors in Hollywood must be living on Ramen Noodles, what with Tara Strong taking 90% of the gigs.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Augus posted:

Most of that stuff was in this episode, come on dude. The shots of the desert and the interior of the ship and the fight choreography were all amazing. So it was a lighthearted romantic subplot, if you don't like that I can understand. But it's not like the show suddenly became Nutshack for an episode

I think the reason why this episode is so...deflating for the series as a whole for a lot of people is its placement in the series. Every single new plot introduced at the beginning of the season has been resolved (the Aku cult, Jack's hallucination self, the green rider) , so now there's no more room for speculation that this is what the series has been building up to.

I'm not on Das Boo's level of despair yet, but I'm definitely a little resigned to lowering my expectations for the finale, and that's kinda sad.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 7, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Regalingualius posted:

Really, though, if that is the Guardian's "graveyard" he's passing through in the teaser, I'm hyped to see it finally concluded, especially when that had some of the best choreography of the original series.

I'm just hoping it's a fight that's as good as Jack vs. Scaramouche or the stuff in Episode 2, and not something rushed like "Now you are balanced.".

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm just hoping it's a fight that's as good as Jack vs. Scaramouche or the stuff in Episode 2, and not something rushed like "Now you are balanced.".
They really should have made last week's episode a two-parter instead of what we got.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Bust Rodd posted:

An important point I have is that I think we're supposed to think Ashi is Japanese.

Her Mom called herself her Mother-Sister.

I think Ashi and her sisters are the modern extension of Jack's own lineage.

I think Aku got a Japanese woman pregnant and she had 7 daughters and every generation one of them ascends to high priestess and becomes Aku's new bride. After a hundred generations we now have creatures that are almost entirely Aku with only the faintest trace of humanity left. That is why Ashi can just solo hulk-buster her way through a thousand mooks barehanded.

If this were a darker show I'd bet for an old-boy style twist here, (the first high priestess was Jack's but since we won't see that I'm happy just to assume that Ashi is drawn as Japanese because Aku is convinced that "the tiny yellow people from that lovely little island are the scariest humans, so they are the perfect breeding stock for my elite warrior priestess caste"

Haven't watched this weeks episode yet but I am certainly going to withhold judgement until the showrun is over.

Echoing 1-3 as probably the tightest any show has ever looked on CN.

Ok something dumber than the episode at least.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I don't mind the romance but Jack suddenly turning into an awkward 12 year old grated on me a bit.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This show sux and people are naturally dunking on it. Let us hope that the last episodes are decent and well paced.

Ppphhhbbbhttthahahahahaha.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

EagerSleeper posted:

This show sux and people are naturally dunking on it. Let us hope that the last episodes are decent and well paced.

Ppphhhbbbhttthahahahahaha.

We are going to get 40 minutes of Ashi getting fridged by Aku and Jack crying "noooooo Ashiiii" like this is The Matrix 3, and I will be sitting through all of it.

Scotsman's ghost and Scaramouche will be saved for the post credits sequel hook.

mycot fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 7, 2017

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original
I really enjoyed the parenting theme going through the first half of this season, and it seemed like that was going to continue with Jack act as mentor/father to Ashi. This romance feels loving dirty. It feels completely out of place, even if the episode is fun by itself.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It also bothers me that the status quo for Jack is restored at the end of Episode 7. The Gods literally magic him back to normal. His doubt and hallucinations are gone, which was necessary for character development, of course. But his weapons are gone, the armor is gone, the beard is gone. It's like the stuff Jack went though in the earlier six episodes were just something that happened and are now just not worth addressing. It feels kind of cheap in a way.

Pants Donkey posted:

They really should have made last week's episode a two-parter instead of what we got.

Or at least switch Episode 7 and 8's order. Jack didn't necessarily need the sword to fight the parasite alien, especially since it barely worked as is.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Gee are you guys sure you're being melodramatic enough?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Augus posted:

Gee are you guys sure you're being melodramatic enough?

I can kind of understand where it's coming from. The first 3-4 episodes this season were The Empire Strikes Back of the show, and as soon as you start climbing out of that pit, the intensity begins to fade. You've already set a benchmark you can't keep going in 6-7 more episodes unless you want to stay put with the theme of utter despair and that's not where we're going from this, clearly.

I was also against the romance angle at first, but this episode sold me on it. Ashi's young, but she's clearly a grown woman at this point, and it's not like Jack is in his 60s. It felt like they came together pretty naturally for two people who haven't really had a lot of love in their life, and it makes sense all the adrenaline and near death experience would set them off.

That being said I think the show is running off in a different direction than people wanted and it's tainting their judgement. It's still awesome but this being the tviv the forever war between opinions will continue :v:

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Chokes McGee posted:

it's not like Jack is in his 60s.

That's true.

He's in his 70s.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Boy, at the outset of the season I thought Jack was going to decide to not go back in time because all of the people he'd saved over 50 years would be wiped away. Guess he's going to stay in the future for Ashi now.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Lame episode.

I think it's attempting to be the light episode before things get dark, but this humor's been done to death. See: 90% of anime.

We'll see how 9 and 10 handle the end.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

mycot posted:

I'm not on Das Boo's level of despair yet, but I'm definitely a little resigned to lowering my expectations for the finale, and that's kinda sad.

Das Boo's Despair should be my alt. And it'd be an avatar of Mad Jack.
Honestly, I'm just disappointed after being so impressed. And like others have said, when you're a lady it really sucks to have 90% of female characters be shoved into the "can I gently caress her" category. It's refreshing when a woman's in a platonic relationship and I'd hoped for it, not gonna lie.

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
I'm seriously unconvinced they can wrap this up in a satisfying way with only two episodes left, and I'm gonna go ahead and predict a TV movie for the actual finale.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Das Boo posted:

Das Boo's Despair should be my alt. And it'd be an avatar of Moogle Jack.

Seconding this

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Literally Kermit posted:

Seconding this

Woah.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

The Scotsman's ghost is going to be sent back to ancient Japan and will attempt to bring Jack back to the past in a new spin-off series.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

I can kind of understand where it's coming from. The first 3-4 episodes this season were The Empire Strikes Back of the show, and as soon as you start climbing out of that pit, the intensity begins to fade. You've already set a benchmark you can't keep going in 6-7 more episodes unless you want to stay put with the theme of utter despair and that's not where we're going from this, clearly.

I was also against the romance angle at first, but this episode sold me on it. Ashi's young, but she's clearly a grown woman at this point, and it's not like Jack is in his 60s. It felt like they came together pretty naturally for two people who haven't really had a lot of love in their life, and it makes sense all the adrenaline and near death experience would set them off.

That being said I think the show is running off in a different direction than people wanted and it's tainting their judgement. It's still awesome but this being the tviv the forever war between opinions will continue :v:

Ashi is mentally a goddamn child lol

The anime forum managed to more consistently view this matter with disgust than this forum did. The anime forum.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Is it a spoiler to discuss the next-episode hint? Because if we can see past this episode a bit, I think if he's going to confront the Guardian and try to use his time portal, something'll happen to Ashi at the same time with Aku and that'll be what sets up the decision for Jack between taking the portal or accepting the present as-is and going to defeat Aku. He can face that dilemma, choose to stay in the present, then hook up with the Scotsman who's gone around recruiting everybody into an army to take on Aku. Which sounds like something they could pull off pretty smoothly in 40 minutes.

I don't think the relationship is pointless, since it gives Jack a much more personal and embodied connection to the present than the broader coalition of friends he's made by helping people. When Ashi went around meeting people Jack had helped, it did make the point that the present was not a world beyond saving, but it also showed that Jack himself isn't tethered in it, that he travels alone and apart from the people he's helped. Throughout the series Jack has helped people and put himself in danger even though his mission would ultimately make any good he does counterproductive. Aku threatening Ashi brings this contradiction to a head and can present him with a clear choice.

It's tempting to be reductive and say "Jack will condemn everyone in the past because he fell in love", but in this case I think Ashi could be more like a catalyst to get Jack to see the present in a different light. Jack has been trapped in the past, in a sense, and cannot see the potential of the present or the right of those in it to define it outside of Aku's influence. He just sees his own failure and the need to go back and fix it. Some kind of personal relationship is a good step toward trying to move forward with his life.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah I think the romance is kind of shoehorned in there, but who cares? my problem with Ashi is that her face is oddly shaped when viewed from the side. Was her dad a banana?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ashi's dad was the penis headed guy.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Oh Snapple! posted:

The anime forum managed to more consistently view this matter with disgust than this forum did. The anime forum.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

mycot posted:

Normally I don't get how goons turn on things in order to go "hot take: X was never good :smuggo:", I'm actually feeling this myself. :(

I believe I have some rationale for it though, since establishing a relationship this early means it's almost certainly going to play a part in the finale in a really stupid way. Something like Ashi hanging off of one cliff, while Aku is dangling off another.

Raserys posted:

this episode was pretty bad, but like, I didn't think it was so bad that it made me retroactively question the quality of the series

Lol at reading posts saying 'The first three episodes were so good! How did the quality drop so badly afterwards?!' as 'Oh this show was bad and I totally hated it from the beginning.'

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Fabricated posted:

source your quotes

Y’all are so quick to jump on Samurai Jack for the age gap in his relationship with Ashi when half y’all would JUMP at the chance for a sugar daddy and most of you probably flick ya beans to older men all the time. Like, I don’t understand the issue since they are both adults and there was obviously a connection between them???

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Moon Slayer posted:

Y’all are so quick to jump on Samurai Jack for the age gap in his relationship with Ashi when half y’all would JUMP at the chance for a sugar daddy and most of you probably flick ya beans to older men all the time. Like, I don’t understand the issue since they are both adults and there was obviously a connection between them???

Oh Snapple! posted:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Das Boo posted:

TVIV > Samurai Jack - I'm just disappointed after being so impressed.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Oh Snapple! posted:

Except, apparently not now...apparently Ashi's grown an unbelievable amount since Episode 4; and that's actually another problem I have. She should NOT have gotten better THAT fast; even if she did make the move from Heel to Face. She still wasn't taught anything about social graces or how to regulate her emotions, so she should still be falling into all sorts of other emotional traps, like...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Struggling with bitterness; she hates her mother so much for what she did, that she's letting her emotional pain ruin her present relationships as well (a real life problem, especially for alcoholics and other substance abusers).
- Letting her anger make her do things she should not be doing (preferably in a way that mirrors Jack's own problems with anger)
- Struggling to express said anger in a reasonable way; going back and forth between being a doormat and being ALL CONFRONTATION ALL THE TIME (a problem even a lot of normal people suffer from)
- Problems with black and white thinking.
- Problems with regulating whatever romantic desires she has for Jack (I remember what it was like being a teenager; I was NOT as comfortable with those feelings as Ashi seems to be)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And etc., etc. Basically, she should still be almost as emotionally stunted as she was in Episode 4. Whatever progress she makes would come in bits and pieces with Jack's help (who flashes back to his own childhood to try and do for Ashi what his own parents did for him). For her to go through something like 30-40 years worth of character development in like, one week; that's just so cheap.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ever heard of shitposting

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cran posted:

I'm seriously unconvinced they can wrap this up in a satisfying way with only two episodes left, and I'm gonna go ahead and predict a TV movie for the actual finale.

birth of evil was 40 minutes long

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
i dunno, killing the person that ruined your life since the moment you were born and then joining in killing the next person who ruined your life would probably make someone 'get better'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I didn't realize there were only ten episodes so I'm more upset that the episode was 'wasted'. So yeah it was bad but it really should not have been surprising, Gendy and all the writers are old dudes now, old dudes love writing about old dudes getting young girl strange

• Locked thread