Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Goober Peas posted:

That's a Tennessee thing. Memphis, Knoxville, and Chattanooga drivers are much the same.

Chattanooga's specialty is refusing to change lanes to let you merge onto the highway. They'll run you into a bridge abutment rather than move over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Goober Peas posted:

That's a Tennessee thing. Memphis, Knoxville, and Chattanooga drivers are much the same.

People in Memphis are such anti-intellectual, degenerate, worthless morons.

People in Memphis are too drat slow. They walk slow, talk slow, think slow, breathe slow, and drive slow.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Saukkis posted:

I can somewhat understand the people dreading the arrival of their first roundabout. I've been driving through them since I had license, so they are nothing to me. But it was quite a weird feeling eperiencing those "double teardrop" junctions for the first time a couple years ago. "Why is this roundabout missing the round?". Funnily, Google doesn't know how to deal with those either, they show up as roundabouts in map view.

Effectively, it is a roundabout, stretched out so that half is on each side of the main highway.

If you take the two "halves" and put them together, as if the roundabout interrupted the highway, you get this:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Theris posted:

Roundabouts are one of those municipal policy proposals (also including, but not limited to, indoor smoking bans and expanded public transportation) where olds and stupids like to pretend that theirs is the first city to ever attempt <proposal> and the same stock arguments that turned out to be wrong in every other city that previously implemented <proposal> are definitely correct this time.

Accidents go up at first(always leading to some premature itoldyasos from the old and/or stupid demographic) but the severity of those accidents drops significantly, traffic flows better, and over time traffic flows even better and the number of accidents drops.

Yep, the old and stupid demographic are usually the first to not bother to yield or stop, or clog up traffic playing the "no YOU go" bullshit like at intersections. Roundabouts are gaining traction around here and I actually like them, but I hear way too many morons complain because they're just plain ignorant or don't pay attention.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This is what we have in the East Bay...

Four way stop, and some of those islands have gently caress off impervious to see through bushes in them

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Goober Peas posted:

The red light thing is amazing. I've been stopped at a red light and has some jackass fly by me.
I've never seen it so bad anywhere. LA has horrible aggresive drivers, but they mostly try to stop at red lights (because cameras).

Deteriorata posted:

Chattanooga's specialty is refusing to change lanes to let you merge onto the highway. They'll run you into a bridge abutment rather than move over.
I've been seeing a lot of this too.

Roundabouts chat:
Sacramento installed a bunch of traffic circles in the city. Traffic circles are not roundabouts and don't require everyone to yield and have stop signs on one side.
The people without the stop signs use traffic circles as an excuse to test the slalom handling of their cars at speed. So loving annoying. It is like the worst of all worlds.

nm fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 6, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Roundabout chat:

The problem I have is people around me don't seem to understand what a "yield" sign means, so more often than not cars approaching the circle fail to yield to cars already in it.

Almost got creamed here about four months ago in a similar fashion at this one:

SUV coming from the left didn't yield, slammed on my brakes and stopped just short of clipping his front bumper. He then proceeded to follow me for about five miles until I stopped at a traffic light, then he pulled along side me to scream at me. Asked if he knew what the upside down triangle sign that was white & red and said "yield" on it meant. Sometimes I want to carry a stack of the driver's education booklets they have at the BMV to pass out when I witness this level of stupidity...

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

nm posted:

The red light thing is amazing. I've been stopped at a red light and has some jackass fly by me.
I've never seen it so bad anywhere. LA has horrible aggresive drivers, but they mostly try to stop at red lights (because cameras).

I've been seeing a lot of this too.

Be on alert at stop signs too. At least in California they slow down for them.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://i.imgur.com/9DYB01n.mp4

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
At least he stuck the landing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That's the face of a man who knew exactly what was going to happen and he did it anyways because that's exactly what he wanted to do.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Geoj posted:

don't seem to understand what a "yield" sign means

The real root of the problem.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

nm posted:

So I am in Nashville and holy gently caress.
Everyone runs red lights, including kinda stale ones. The aggression on the freeways is LA level. I have been here less than 24hrs and witnessed a 3 car accident that totaled the gently caress out of a grand cherokee and needed an ambulance.
On the other hand, everyone so far has been really nice to cyclists, so, I dunno, I guess they drive pretty well. :iiam:

Maybe it's just me, but I didn't see anything of the sort when I was in Nashville a few hours ago. Then again, I've spent the past 5 years in Atlanta, where freeway aggression and general on-road assholery is a way of life.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The first roundabout that was installed by me was on a 30 mph road that had no stop signs intersecting with a 25 mph one that did. You could end up sitting at the 25 mph one for minutes waiting for the right moment, but the roundabout completely solved it.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Same day, two different roundabouts:

First, some silly person in a Honda entering had to slam on their brakes to avoid scuffing against my door. The yield sign is there for a reason, silly person.
Second, an old shithead stopped inside the roundabout to wave me in. That is NOT how roundabouts work, old shithead!

Every newspaper, every TV station in the country should run a PSA about how roundabouts are supposed to work.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I lied, I really am petty. This dude parked as close to the handicapped spot as he could so I parked as close to him as I could while still being in the spot

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

In downtown Boise City, OK, way out on the panhandle, there is a roundabout going around the courthouse. It's also the intersection of a bunch of US highways. I took the blue path all the time in a big rig because US 287 is the most direct route from Dallas / Fort Worth to Denver. Thankfully there is now a bypass for 287.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 8, 2017

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

On the way to pick up my rental car this morning we went past a car that had seemingly just been abandoned in the middle of turning right at a set of lights. No driver anywhere to be found, left with its hazards on in the middle of the junction :iiam:

Also just now saw someone texting while driving. In the far left lane of the interstate. On a motorcycle. :psyduck:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Icedude posted:

Also just now saw someone texting while driving. In the far left lane of the interstate. On a motorcycle. :psyduck:

I do this too. Change tracks. Check facebook. Order Indian food, you know.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Some doofus in an older F series (with a 6.0L) passed me on a double yellow line, stayed in that lane, and proceeded to attempt to roll coal on me, unsuccessfully. Twice.
I didn't take the bait, but :lol: at flooring it headlong into oncoming traffic for no good reason.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Roundabout chat... This is a fairly typical roundabout in Tijuana. 3 or 4 lanes (in theory, in reality 5+ sometimes because Mexico and no lane markings) from each direction. Some are controlled by traffic signals, some of which might be working sometimes. Unlike the unknown time in the distant past when Google maps got this image, there isn't a speck of paint on a single piece of pavement that I've ever seen in these things, and of course drivers, and especially taxi drivers in TJ just do whatever the hell they want regardless, so navigating through these can be fairly entertaining.

See how the roundabout itself is supposed to have 4 lanes, but there is enough pavement for another 3 lanes outside of that area? Yea, guess what happens to all that extra pavement. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

For the record, you can turn off that poo poo ugly 3D mode by clicking the hamburger in the upper right and clicking the '3D on' text under the Satellite section.

3d buildings is cool when flying around the city. But when taking screenshots? Nah.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

xzzy posted:

For the record, you can turn off that poo poo ugly 3D mode by clicking the hamburger in the upper right and clicking the '3D on' text under the Satellite section.

3d buildings is cool when flying around the city. But when taking screenshots? Nah.

Speaking of cool 3D stuff, if you ever get a chance to play with a Space Navigator or something like it, do it. It lets you control a camera in 3D with one hand - you can do movement in the 6 axes, plus rotate around the three axes as well. I got to play around with one while we were presenting something using Google Earth. With a little practice you can make cinematic-looking movements while you track around a central object, in realtime. Fun as hell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I still got my space orb 360 rolling around in a drawer, let me dig it out!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

xzzy posted:

Thanks, I did not know that.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This is what we have in the East Bay...

Four way stop, and some of those islands have gently caress off impervious to see through bushes in them

whoever implemented those can go the heck to gently caress, they're the worst combination.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

430am and some lovely Hyundai hogging the left lane and driving down the highway with their brights on? Great start.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Why would you put stop signs at a roundabout?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Watched someone nearly get tboned today because they went to change lanes as an idiot in a side street decided it was go time. Luckily there was space in front of me for the car to dodge out of the way. Not much later I came close to tboning someone else. One of the intersections I drive through daily has a merge lane to get onto the highway. There's often a queue of cars waiting and the person second in line nearly pulled out in front of me until they realised and pulled back into line to wait.
In other news I got a lot of joy from sharing the road with a 2cv. The bloke was doing his best to keep the momentum going at all possible times. He flew past me at the bottom of a pretty steep hill and once the momentum had died a bit he ended up a little under the limit as we reached the top of the hill. I've not driven a 2cv but I've been a passenger in one and know it takes a fair bit of effort to keep it on the boil the way this guy was making it happen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Why would you put stop signs at a roundabout?

It's not actually a roundabout, they put those in to slow down people running the stop signs.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Roundabouts rule. The only time they work poorly is if there's heavy, constant traffic that wants to all go in the same direction. There's a local one where a ferry load of cars is released into it (so, couple of hundred cars), and the all take either the second exit, so if you're waiting at the first exit you can sit there forever. It's an edge case though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

It's not actually a roundabout, they put those in to slow down people running the stop signs.

So why not turn it into an actual roundabout? 🤔

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

fridge corn posted:

Have you ever driven in the Chicago Suburbs?

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
PYF roundabout.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

fridge corn posted:

Poor planning, the ones I've seen have been in tight packed urban areas where they'd have to bulldoze buildings to make room, and good loving luck getting a city to actually intrude on MAH PROPERTY here America. I really only see proper roundabouts in areas freshly developed or the city happened to own all the land around the intersection.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Poor planning, the ones I've seen have been in tight packed urban areas where they'd have to bulldoze buildings to make room, and good loving luck getting a city to actually intrude on MAH PROPERTY here America. I really only see proper roundabouts in areas freshly developed or the city happened to own all the land around the intersection.

???

???

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Some doofus in an older F series (with a 6.0L) passed me on a double yellow line, stayed in that lane, and proceeded to attempt to roll coal on me, unsuccessfully. Twice.
I didn't take the bait, but :lol: at flooring it headlong into oncoming traffic for no good reason.

Probably not the first time his equipment failed to perform when called upon.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good luck getting an F150 around that thing!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

Good luck getting an F150 around that thing!

The reason why there isn't an actual raised island in the middle of that roundabout is for that exact purpose. You're expected to drive over the middle of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When you enter a room, do you devour all the fun in it for sustenance or does it flee in terror?