Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
I, al-Hannibal the Mad of the Merchant's Council, demand that we set right this grave affront against man and God,

and purge the Azores Eskimos.

(by colonizing them, i.e. I second that proposal)

HannibalBarca fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Snipee posted:

By themselves or in a grand Christian coalition? The Kingdom of Italy was not even a great power when the game started. They might have had some military victories just now, but if anything, that probably made them less popular with their neighbors. At first, we could start our involvement in the peninsula by only offering to defend our Muslim brothers from further Christian aggression. If Morocco is willing to jump in, then I was hoping that we could later begin to opportunistically expand Islam's borders and conquer Rome. More than anything, my main fear is that if we wait too long, we will lose Sicily. Again though, I have no idea how warfare works in this game, and I was throwing out an idea for the narrative.

A war with Italy would most likely involve us sending over an expeditionary force that gets wiped out, them sending over an expeditionary force that gets wiped out, and us just staring at each other across the Med until we reluctantly agree to a white peace.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Perhaps demanding specific wars is too shortsighted? None of us knows what the future holds, what problems and opportunities may come, so:

I, Qasim al-Cyrahzax of the enlightened and victorious Taifas, propose that we attack whichever Christian kingdom is weakest and most isolated, with particular attention being paid towards conflicts between them. The goal of these invasions is nothing less than complete annexation for each and every one of them, no matter how many wars it takes.

I too support this motion. Conquering Portugal was a good start, but there is still much work to be done before Iberia is secure.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

quote:

I, Qasim al-Cyrahzax of the enlightened and victorious Taifas, propose that we attack whichever Christian kingdom is weakest and most isolated, with particular attention being paid towards conflicts between them. The goal of these invasions is nothing less than complete annexation for each and every one of them, no matter how many wars it takes.

If I may attach a rider:
Whatever combination of war, alliances, vassalizations, and chicanery is necessary to bring the following territories under our control (with the end goal always being direct rule) is hereby authorized, in order of priority:
1. Iberia
2. Morocco
3. Sicily/Naples
4. Algeria
5. Tunisia
6. Northern Italy

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Rubix Squid posted:

I, Sheikha Hibbar Rubik of the League of Merchants propose that we found an alternate route to Mecca! With fall of Filastan we cannot reasonably expect to undertake the Hajj safely and expediently. It is true that going through the lands of the Fatimids is possible however can we really trust them to stamp out dangers in vast expanses of desert when they allowed the Crusaders to take Filastan? Unless the Taifas believe we somehow suddenly have the power to pry the crusaders from their burrows in Egypt it absolutely imperative that we find another a way. I believe that Allah guided our sailors to the western islands of the Al'Uzur (Azores) to show us how truly little we know of the seas, thus I have faith there may be a sea route to Mecca!

Can I cross party vote? I'm looking to take my Hajj sometime this decade.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Rubix Squid posted:

I, Sheikha Hibbar Rubik of the League of Merchants propose that we found an alternate route to Mecca! With fall of Filastan we cannot reasonably expect to undertake the Hajj safely and expediently. It is true that going through the lands of the Fatimids is possible however can we really trust them to stamp out dangers in vast expanses of desert when they allowed the Crusaders to take Filastan? Unless the Taifas believe we somehow suddenly have the power to pry the crusaders from their burrows in Egypt it absolutely imperative that we find another a way. I believe that Allah guided our sailors to the western islands of the Al'Uzur (Azores) to show us how truly little we know of the seas, thus I have faith there may be a sea route to Mecca!

I, Hi'Ho el-Nasr of the League of Merchants, second this e-motion

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Can I cross party vote? I'm looking to take my Hajj sometime this decade.

Yeah you can, at the moment. I'll likely change the rules regarding that after the next party re-alignment, though.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Hashim posted:

We can't colonise unless the Exploration Idea Group is picked, which happens at tech 5 (and only if the Merchants are in power).

Fine. I modify my proposal to better fit the mood of the taifas. I propose we turbofuck any state that has the temerity to settle our rightful land before we get around to it.

I want my summer island drat it.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

the JJ posted:

Fine. I modify my proposal to better fit the mood of the taifas. I propose we turbofuck any state that has the temerity to settle our rightful land before we get around to it.

You know that France and Aragon are squatting on our islands in the Mediterranean, yes? You can have your summer home when you kill a few knights for it!

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

the JJ posted:

Good news, everyone who might have an interest in that island, other than the Celts, is on our to kill list anyways.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Patter Song posted:

A war with Italy would most likely involve us sending over an expeditionary force that gets wiped out, them sending over an expeditionary force that gets wiped out, and us just staring at each other across the Med until we reluctantly agree to a white peace.

So basically, Siilicy is doomed unless Italy somehow implodes or gets piled on by closer land powers? Sigh.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Snipee posted:

So basically, Siilicy is doomed unless Italy somehow implodes or gets piled on by closer land powers? Sigh.

I reckon that in a defensive war, with Palermo and maybe another ally backing them up, we'd be able to at least white peace Italy and stem the advance of Christendom then and there. The Majlis needs to recognise that we can't do that, attack the Christian principalities in Iberia, and sail around the Cape of Storms all at the same time though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I think that, realistically, we've got enough going on without sticking our necks out for Sicily at the moment.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Hashim posted:

I reckon that in a defensive war, with Palermo and maybe another ally backing them up, we'd be able to at least white peace Italy and stem the advance of Christendom then and there. The Majlis needs to recognise that we can't do that, attack the Christian principalities in Iberia, and sail around the Cape of Storms all at the same time though.

Mmmm, I guess we will have to wait until we are in a much stronger position in Iberia before considering going on any Italian jihads. Shame. Our sack of Rome was one of the most hilarious things to have come out of CK2.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Captain Oblivious posted:

I think that, realistically, we've got enough going on without sticking our necks out for Sicily at the moment.

I think if we're cautious and don't rush into things we can defend Palermo and work on other things, probably our Iberian neighbours because they're a direct threat. If we can get the Pyrenees as our border we can start to really look outwards, but I honestly feel like trying to expand into Italy or France, barring something really good happening to us or something really bad happening to them, will end disastrously. I think we should focus our attentions on a goal, maybe two, and reassess where we our and what our power is after we complete them.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
I love that you've resisted the urge to take over all of Spain so far, but now in this timeline it kind of irks me that we don't have control over our peninsula. So I'm all for that, although in this game purposely trying to abut France is kinda :pants:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Flavius Belisarius posted:

I love that you've resisted the urge to take over all of Spain so far, but now in this timeline it kind of irks me that we don't have control over our peninsula. So I'm all for that, although in this game purposely trying to abut France is kinda :pants:

Peninsula shmeninsula, the real travesty is not owning the Balearic Isles.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Peninsula shmeninsula, the real travesty is not owning the Balearic Isles.

Balearic, Shmalearic, the REAL travesty is not owning France.

EDIT:

While Cyrahzax' plan is an excellent long-term goal I strongly support, if we start looking at the short-term like Hashim actually wants there starts turning up flaws.

As such I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, propose we start looking for documents regarding our claims on Iberia in general but Castille in particular seeing how they now stand as the strongest of the Christian Iberians.

And as I said, try ally Palermo in order to stave of Italy and Bavaraia (or whomever is the Kaiser) to contain France!

Luhood fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 8, 2017

Whit27
Oct 14, 2012

Wh-What do you mean that's the actual plot?!

Soup du Jour posted:

I, Muhammad al-Soup of the League of Merchants, propose that we guarantee the independence of Palermo. We cannot allow our access to the wealth of Siqulia be destroyed by Italy! Placing our protection over them is key to keeping our access to the trading ports in the Eastern Mediterranean open. That we cannot protect all the emirs in that region is regrettable, but this will allow us more diplomatic flexibility.

I, Whit27 of League of Merchants second this proposal.
Remember, while colonizing the Azores is a good long-term goal, we'll need to unlock an idea group in order to have any colonists. Also, the Merchants would have to be in power.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Perhaps demanding specific wars is too shortsighted? None of us knows what the future holds, what problems and opportunities may come, so:

I, Ibn-bil Bibil of the Taifas, support this. Andalusia shall be a shining beacon of Islam in the West, and the only beacon.

devildragon777
May 17, 2014

They'd be a lot more scary if they were more than an inch tall each.

Frionnel posted:

I am content with the great mosques that our honorable ruler commissioned, but more should be done. There was a time when Cordoba was one of the greatest cities in the world, if not the greatest. It's splendor surpassed that of any other place, and was a true testment to the prosperity of the house of Islam. Sadly, those times have passed, and our diplomats now return with tales of cities many times more wondrous than those of al-Andalus.

Therefore, I, Frionnel ibn Frionnel of the most benevolent Ulama, suggest that our ruler should pay more attention to the state of our capital, and develop it until it will truly be a city of world's desire (30 development at least).

I, Didi-ibn Sala'sa-saba, support this plan!

devildragon777 fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 8, 2017

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Policies so far:

Tendronai posted:

I, Tendronai of the Taifas, propose we crush Galicia immediately for taking advantage of our war and stealing our Portugese lands.

Tendronai, Mikl.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Lord Cyrahzax, Luhood, PurpleXVI, Captain Oblivious, Bloody Pom, Ibblebibble.

Snipee posted:

I propose that we ally or at least guarantee all Muslim powers in Italy with the long-term goals of weakening the Kingdom of Italy and bringing Rome under Islamic rule.

Snipee.

Luhood posted:

As such I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, propose we start looking for documents regarding our claims on Iberia in general but Castille in particular seeing how they now stand as the strongest of the Christian Iberians.

And as I said, try ally Palermo in order to stave of Italy and Bavaraia (or whomever is the Kaiser) to contain France!

Luhood.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, propose that we turn Qurtuba into a new holy site. We must build a temple there, give control of it to the Ulama, raise its development to twenty (no manpower please) as soon as possible, and build a temple.

Ralepozozaxe.

Duey posted:

I, Du'ey, of the Ulama, propose that it should be the policy of the government to fund the building of a mosques in every province for the purpose of supporting the faithful.

Due, CommissarMega, Chatrapati.

Frionnel posted:

Therefore, I, Frionnel ibn Frionnel of the most benevolent Ulama, suggest that our ruler should pay more attention to the state of our capital, and develop it until it will truly be a city of world's desire (30 development at least).

Frionnel, AJ_Impy, Prince Orcus, devildragon777.

Soup du Jour posted:

I, Muhammad al-Soup of the League of Merchants, propose that we guarantee the independence of Palermo. We cannot allow our access to the wealth of Siqulia be destroyed by Italy! Placing our protection over them is key to keeping our access to the trading ports in the Eastern Mediterranean open. That we cannot protect all the emirs in that region is regrettable, but this will allow us more diplomatic flexibility.

Soup du Jour, Technowolf, Whit27.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

I, Dansar rabb al'ustul alttijari of the League of Merchants, propose that we build a marketplace in Lisboa, in order to strengthen our grasp on the trade flowing into Iberia!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I back Soup's policy, I also propose opening diplomatic communiqués with the Celtic Empire; they could be a useful proxy hindrance to France.

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015

Woe, for look what has befallen the Dar al-Islam! The Faithful in Italy are beset by the Christian scourge and driven from their homes with fire and steel! The House of the Holy -- the second house of Allah on Earth! -- has fallen to the Franks, threatening the holiest city of Makkah by placing it within reach of kafirun.

Truly, the community of Islam is without guide; there is no man amongst us to interpret the zahir -- the esoteric truths of the Qur'an that are imperceptible by reading alone -- with confidence and recognition. Surely we are the worse for this! What the faithful need in this time of strife is a singular ruler to look to for guidance and strength, a singular ruler who can guide the actions of the faithful as by one hand -- the hand of Allah. What the faithful need is a true Caliph.

Who should the faithful look to? Should it not be the Sultan of Andalusia? The greatest of Muslim rulers on Earth and the true heirs to the legacy of Abd al-Rahman, the Defender of God's Faith? Should it not be the Jizrunids, who retook Italy for the faithful and who secured the holy city of Quds from the predations of the Franks?

Truly we would gain favor in the eyes of Allah for securing the land of Al-Andalus for the faithful, but would we not gain ever the more favor by assuming our rightful place as the leaders of the community of Islam? We must look beyond our borders to the Muslims suffering in Italy and in Palestine. We must declare a new Caliphate, so that we may be the head of a new golden age of Islamic faith and learning and not an island of believers alone in a sea of infidels.

I, Tuna al-Birati of the Ummah, propose that the Sultan move to create vassals out of the Muslim princedoms of North Africa and Italy so as to declare a new caliphate.

(also, if someone could give me a proper Arabic translation of pirate I would be ever the thankful)

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Despite it being proposed by a Merchant, I fully endorse the proposal to find a sea route to Mecca. If this requires funding island or coastal outposts I naturally support that as well.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 9, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Rubix Squid posted:

:yeah:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Rubix Squid posted:

I support this.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Rubix Squid posted:

I support this!

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

While protecting Sicily does seem like a risky maneuver, I think continuing to wage war on the northern Christians is by far riskier, considering how much AE just two provinces gave us. Much better to let them bloody each other for the time being while maintaining a defensive stance and guarding our successor states in southern Italy.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Rubix Squid posted:

I grudgingly support this support this. Have we no third or fourth royal sons that we can send on such a task?

(edited to add a reference to the thing I was supporting)

TildeATH fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 8, 2017

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Rubix Squid posted:

I support this.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 8, 2017

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I would like to join the merchants.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
*extremely mocking voice* I would like to join the merchants

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Actually, that raises an important question. Perhaps I missed it in Grand Vizier Hashim's writeups, but I did not see any mention of how the ruling faction changes. Do we, as Wali al-Anderson has attempted, simply defect at a whim between updates? Or will the Grand Vizier call for a formal realignment at regular intervals?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Actually, that raises an important question. Perhaps I missed it in Grand Vizier Hashim's writeups, but I did not see any mention of how the ruling faction changes. Do we, as Wali al-Anderson has attempted, simply defect at a whim between updates? Or will the Grand Vizier call for a formal realignment at regular intervals?

Whenever a sultan dies, the Majlis will meet and everyone will get to change factions, but until then you're stuck with whoever you picked. New members of the Majlis can freely join a faction in between updates, though.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Flavius Belisarius posted:

*extremely mocking voice* I would like to join the merchants

That's how you end up in the Oubliette Faction.

Before this LP is out, the Oubliette Faction will have a majority at least once.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

tunapirate posted:

(also, if someone could give me a proper Arabic translation of pirate I would be ever the thankful)

("qarsan" قرصان)

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Does that mean that people can only vote on the policies proposed by their faction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Viola the Mad posted:

Does that mean that people can only vote on the policies proposed by their faction?

At the moment, anyone can vote on any policy, regardless of faction. I'll probably change that when the next Majlis Meeting rolls around, though, to prevent things like the Taifas voting for colonisation policies.