Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think you guys voting to attack Portugal first are missing that Hashim has a mission available from day 1 to attack Castille, whereas going to war with Portugal will take longer. I think a little flexibility in war targets would be preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Whit27 posted:

I, Whit27, propose that we strengthen our grip on the Sevillan trade node. One merchant should collect trade there with the other transferring trade power from incoming nodes. We should build marketplaces in our Sevillan trade centers and send a heavy or two to hunt pirates in the Sevilla trade node to guard against the barbary pirates.
I, Talas of the Mechant's Guild, support this measure.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Talas posted:

I, Talas of the Mechant's Guild, support this measure.

I thought using a merchant to collect in your home node was a waste?

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

vyelkin posted:

I think you guys voting to attack Portugal first are missing that Hashim has a mission available from day 1 to attack Castille, whereas going to war with Portugal will take longer. I think a little flexibility in war targets would be preferable.

Like I have gone on and on about, as long as the end-goal is the Rhine I am content with any war waged against Christian pigs.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I'm pleased by the amount of support my proposal is getting, but I also think we of the New Taifas are still missing a critical element of our platform: the army itself. While the naval proposal is admirable in its intent, we need to deal with more immediate problems: the northern kingdoms and France, and only an army will be capable of that. So:

I, Qasim al-Cyrahzax of the New Taifas, propose that beyond expansion and maintenance, Al-Andalus should put the majority of its economic and administrative resources into the enlargement and improvement of our standing army.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Rodyle posted:

I, Rodyle, propose in the name of the New Taifas, that we seek to renew our alliance with the Almoravids. This must be done so as to soften them up for when the time comes obtain reinforcements of our own to counter the inevitable Frankish hordes.

Switching my vote to this because I want to break the three-way tie.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!
Chapter 2 – The Portuguese War – 1444 to 1460

Al Andalus had spent the Middle Ages embroiled in war, either fighting rebels or fending off crusaders, but it emerged from it as the dominating power in Iberia. As the world gradually began recovering from the past few centuries, however, Al Andalus entered this new age with a sultan that was… not exactly charismatic. Or charming. Or clever. Or anything, really, he was little better than a fool.

This meant that whilst the boy-king wasted away his days without care, it was down to the Majlis al-Shura to actually rule. The Majlis met late in 1444 to decide the course that the Sultanate ought to take, and after hours of rigorous debate, the New Taifas emerged as the largest faction.

The Taifas consisted chiefly of the aristocracy, the Emirs and Sheikhs with vast estates and impeccable lineage, and they advocated for war above all else. Luckily for them, they were quickly given a target when Portugal declared Al Andalus their rivals, with King Eadfrith vowing to begin a renewed era of Reconquista.

Many in the Majlis demanded immediate war, but Portugal was backed by King Ponce of Aragon, forming a powerful alliance against any Andalusi aggression.

So rather than rush headfirst into a foolish war, the Majlis decided to take the time to rebuild their army first, and a rich noble by the name of Bilal-Abdun Hammudid was tasked with doing just that.

Additionally, a member of the Majlis also suggested reviving the ancient alliance between Jizrunid and Almoravid. Al Andalus was in sore need of allies, so after arranging a marriage between Sultan Utman and an Almoravid princess, that too was done.

Bilal Abdun quickly proved himself very capable at his post, founding a new military academy from which he hoped to train a new generation of officers, most of which would obviously comprise of nobles.

The policies of the New Taifas didn't always yield good results, however, it also led to a rapid rise in nepotism and corruption. The treasury quickly became bare as money was funelled into the pockets of nobles, with family and reputation becoming more important than merit and capability.

It also meant that the army was prioritized far more the navy, which in turn led to a rise in smuggling and piracy along Andalusi coasts.

The League of Merchants - another faction in the Majlis, consisting of the dominant merchant families of Al Andalus - attempted to stamp this out by increase the size of the trade fleet, but very little could be done whilst the Taifas were in power.

Further afield, war erupted in the British Isles as the Celtic Empire declared war on England, with decades of peace between the two kingdoms coming to an abrupt end.

In the east, meanwhile, Sultan Khudayr of Filastin led his army on an invasion of Egypt, determined to capture Cairo and throw the Christians back into the Mediterranean.

Back in Qadis, another fiery debate split the embittered factions of the Majlis, with the Ulama demanding an end to what they saw as sinful transgressions. The Ulama had the smallest faction in the Majlis, however, so their complaints were easily drowned out.

Not long later, a small trading vessel en route to Madeira was blown off course by a violent storm, only to be shipwrecked on a previously-unknown island chain. They reported their findings back to the Majlis, where the League of Merchants quickly funded another journey to the islands, to be explored and charted.

Once again, however, the dominant New Taifas drowned out any suggestions to act on this discovery. Instead, they continued pouring resources into modernizing the army, waiting for an opportunity to strike north.

And that opportunity finally arrived early in 1455, when war broke out between Aragon and Castille.

Aragon called its ally Portugal into the war, and King Eadfrith immediately marched his army across the length of Iberia to join the struggle, providing Al Andalus with the perfect opportunity to invade.

The Majlis appointed Sa’d Raisa, an unexperienced but talented graduate of the new military academy, to lead the Andalusi army into the war.

Sa’d immediately seized the initiative, splitting the army into two forces of 15,000 levies apiece, and marching north to catch the Portuguese unawares. The Castilian king, who had already lost an engagement to the Aragonese, was happy to grant the Andalusi military access.

The battle of Castilla la Vieja was the first engagement between Muslim and Christian in years, and after hours of bloody fighting, it was the Christians who yielded first. With Portuguese lines shattered, the Muslims surrounded and annihilated the broken force, taking thousands of prisoners and captives.

Euphoric after their crushing victory, the Andalusi immediately set out on a march eastward, engaging the Aragonese army near the city of Soria. The Aragonese put up a much stiffer fight, but numbers made all the difference in the end, and the Andalusi emerged victorious once more.

After allowing for a few days of rest, Sa’d led the Muslims into Aragon proper, quickly spreading out and capturing lightly-guarded castles and cities.

The remnants of the Aragonese army were wiped out in another battle a few days later, after which they finally sued for peace. Relatively favourable terms were agreed upon, with Aragon simply conceding defeat and agreeing to pay war reparations.

Whilst the peace negotiations were ongoing, however, Portugal suffered another invasion as Galicia declared war.

Sa’d Raisa quickly marched the army west, but the Galicians had already besieged the Portuguese capital by the time he arrived, leaving him with the region surrounding Porto.

King Eadfrith held out for another year, but the kingdom eventually capitulated to Sa’d, and he sued for peace late in 1459. The terms were much harsher this time, with the Majlis demanding the entire southern half of Portugal, all rich and well-developed land.

Large amounts of tribute were also demanded, with the hard-won gold invested into constructing mosques in Qadis and Jabal Tariq, as requested by the belligerent Ulama.

The Majlis also invested in a new marketplace along the coast of Ishbiliya, hoping to develop it into the prime trading hub throughout all of Iberia.

The Christian powers agreed on a peace a few months later, with Galicia claiming the rest of Portugal and Castille capturing the rich city of Zaragoza.

In the British Isles, meanwhile, the Celtic-English War had ended in a crushing victory for the Celts, capturing vast tracts of North England and leaving London burning in their wake.

In fact, a few weeks after the Andalusi-Portuguese war came to an end, a large party of Irish diplomats arrived at Qadis. After being granted an audience with the Majlis, the diplomats offered an alliance between the two powers, suggesting it would be in the best interest of both empires.

The Majlis was split, with the Ulama loudly denouncing anyone who supported such an alliance as ‘Christian spies’. The clergymen making up the Ulama were but a minority, however, and the nobility didn’t care much whether their allies were Muslim or Christian, so long as they gained something from it.

So the Irish envoys were offered permanent offices in Qadis, binding the Andalusi and the Celts in alliance.

Whilst all this was going on, however, the rest of the world had still been turning. To the south, Morocco had defeated Algiers in a short but devastating war, emerging as a powerful rival to the Izri Sultanate in the east.

On the Italian Peninsula, meanwhile, the Kingdom of Italy had been aggressively expanding in every direction, even threatening the Muslim emirate in Sicily.

Further east, in Greece, the Latin Empire was on a quest to reconquer it’s lost territories, absorbing Adrianople and bloodying Thessaloniki over the past few years.

And finally, the kingdoms spanning the Near East had been locked in a difficult struggle for primacy. Crusader Egypt had conquered Filastin in its entirety, recapturing Jerusalem as they did so, leaving its Jizrunid rulers to flee back to Al Andalus and Palermo.

At the same time, the Sultanates of Armenia, Nurradin, Persia, Tabarestan and Azerbaijan were all locked in a bloody decade-long war, all vying to decide whether the Sunni or the Shia would dominate the Middle East.

World map:

hashashash fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 14, 2018

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

---

State of Affairs

Government: Reformed Taifa System (power split between the Sultan and Majlis)
Ruling Faction: The New Taifas
Permitted Factions: The Ulama, the League of Merchants
Rivals: France, Aragon, England
Alliances: Morocco, Celtic Empire
Subjects: none
Treasury: 150 gold

---

Here's a reminder on policies, but I want to add that when submitting policies, try to be specific. Updates will generally last around 15 years, so try and specify who to declare war on, where and how many mosques to build, and so on. It'll make it easier for me to actually carry it out.

Policies

Between updates, factions may submit Policies in which they attempt to influence the direction taken in the next update.

Policies are not strictly necessary, because I’ll be roleplaying according to the Ruling Faction’s goals and the Sultan’s personality, but it’s basically a way for the minority factions to influence what happens. Policies can range from declaring war and forming alliances to raising development and sabotaging reputation, for example.

Each faction may submit one policy, so members within a faction can either write up their own policy or support an already-submitted policy, and the one with the most supporters will be carried out in the next update.

The current Ruling Faction (faction with the most members) will be able to submit one extra policy, for a total of two.

Policies are only valid for the length of a single update, after which they become void, even if they go unfulfilled. New policies must therefore be submitted between updates.

If two different policies conflict, the Sultan will pick between them, so it in the interest of factions to avoid submitting clashing policies.

Note: Some things cannot be submitted as policies, and can only be done if the right Ruling Faction is in power. For example, I will only construct manpower buildings when the Taifas are in power, I will only convert provinces when the Ulama are in power, and I will only colonise if the Merchants are in power. If unsure whether something qualifies as a policy, just say so and I’ll let you know.

Example:

I, x of the Taifas, propose that we declare war on England, with the intention of capturing London and severing their alliances.
I, x of the Ulama, propose that we raise the development of Cadiz up to 30 development, as soon as possible.
I, x of the League of Merchants, propose that we rival and embargo England, thus diminishing their trade power in the English Channel node.

Like I said, other members of a faction may submit different policies, but the policy that will actually be implemented in the next update will be the one that got the most supporters.

---

Also, there was a bit of confusion regarding buildings, so this is what’s currently available. I’ve also listed their effects below, anything that has a strikethrough means that we can’t build it yet. I'll let you know whenever a new building is available, and I'll also add this to the OP, where it'll be updated.

Buildings

Trade
Marketplace: +50% Local Trade Power (tech 4)
Trade Depot: +100% Local Trade Power (tech 17)
Stock Exchange: +125% Local Trade Power (tech 22)

Navy
Dock: +50% Local Sailors Modifier (tech 4)
Drydock: +100% Local Sailors Modifier (tech 19)

Shipyard: +2 Naval Force Limit, -25% Local Shipbuilding Time, +25% Local Ship Repair. (tech 8)
Grand Shipyard: +4 Naval Force Limit, -50% Local Shipbuilding Time, +50% Local Ship Repair (tech 24)

Army
Barracks: +50% Local Manpower Modifier (tech 4)
Training Fields: +100% Local Manpower Modifier (tech 16)

Regimental Camp: +1 Land Force Limit (tech 8)
Conscription Center: +2 Land Force Limit (tech 22)

Defense
Castle: Fort Level +2
Bastion: Fort Level +4 (tech 14)
Star Fort: Fort Level +6 (tech 19)
Fortress: Fort Level +8 (tech 24)

Keep in mind that forts also cost maintenance.

Government
Courthouse: -25% State Maintenance, -0.1 Monthly Autonomy Change (tech 8)
Town Hall: -50% State Maintenance, -0.2 Monthly Autonomy Change (tech 22)

University: -20% Local Development Cost, +1 Possible number of buildings (tech 17)

Production
Workshop: +50% Local Production Efficiency (tech 4)
Counting House: +100% Local Production Efficiency (tech 24)

Taxation
Mosque: +40% Local Tax Modifier (tech 4)
Great Mosque: +60% Local Tax Modifier, +3% Local Missionary Strength (tech 19)

Manufactory
Naval Equipment: +1 Local Good Produced (tech 11)
Weapons: +1 Local Goods Produced (tech 11)
Textile: +1 Local Goods Produced (tech 11)
Plantations: +1 Local Goods Produced (tech 14)
Trade Station: +1 Local Goods Produced (tech 14)

Manufactories also require certain Trade Goods to be present in a province.

---

Lastly, we’re still at only 2/4 possible diplomatic relationships. So here’s the opinion mapmode, in case anyone wants to suggest possible alliance policies:

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.

I, Tendronai of the Taifas, propose we crush Galicia immediately for taking advantage of our war and stealing our Portugese lands.

As for allies, we should be looking at France's rivals, for the enemy of my enemy is surely my friend.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Tendronai posted:

I, Tendronai of the Taifas, propose we crush Galicia immediately for taking advantage of our war and stealing our Portugese lands.

As for allies, we should be looking at France's rivals, for the enemy of my enemy is surely my friend.

France is rivalled to us, the Celtic Empire and Poland, and there's no hope of allying Poland.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

'Mon the Celts!

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I am much more upset at the potential loss of Muslim lands in neighboring Italy than the actual loss of distant Jerusalem. The Italians are close enough to home that we should contemplate staging a military intervention once Iberia is secured. Are jihads still a thing?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Snipee posted:

I am much more upset at the potential loss of Muslim lands in neighboring Italy than the actual loss of distant Jerusalem. The Italians are close enough to home that we should contemplate staging a military intervention once Iberia is secured. Are jihads still a thing?

No, but we can probably ally or guarantee the Muslim powers.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Perhaps demanding specific wars is too shortsighted? None of us knows what the future holds, what problems and opportunities may come, so:

I, Qasim al-Cyrahzax of the enlightened and victorious Taifas, propose that we attack whichever Christian kingdom is weakest and most isolated, with particular attention being paid towards conflicts between them. The goal of these invasions is nothing less than complete annexation for each and every one of them, no matter how many wars it takes.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Perhaps demanding specific wars is too shortsighted? None of us knows what the future holds, what problems and opportunities may come, so:

I, Qasim al-Cyrahzax of the enlightened and victorious Taifas, propose that we attack whichever Christian kingdom is weakest and most isolated, with particular attention being paid towards conflicts between them. The goal of these invasions is nothing less than complete annexation for each and every one of them, no matter how many wars it takes.

I, Lutfi al-Uthman of the New Taifas, wholeheartedly agree with al-Cyrahzax! Galicia shall fall to their folly of taking advantage of us! Castille and Leon shall fall for their audacity to be independent! France shall taste our steel for holding onto Sardinia and Corsica!

As for allies try to throw some feelers to Palermo and Bavaria. We need to protect Muslim interest in Sicily, and along with the Kaiser (Bavaria was the Kaiser, were they not?) we can make a strong effort to contain France!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

This sounds reasonable, but on the other hand:

I, Mikl of the Taifas, support my esteemed colleague Tendronai's proposal that we crush Galicia immediately.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

What I mean is, if you want to see a war with someone specific, then specify. Your proposal is perfectly fine, but it won't be accomplished within the next update, because taking just 2 provinces from Portugal gave me a whopping 40 AE with Galicia, Leon and Castille. So I'll definitely be warring with the Christian kingdoms, the only question who, because it won't be all of them.

Don't worry about unforeseen consequences, I'll likely hold an emergency session if something crazy happens, like we called into a war against France or a coalition triggers or something.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

The fall of Jerusalem is heartbreaking, but also brings opportunity. Our Filastin brothers show that Allah's eyes are moving away from the Levant to greener pastures, and I love green pastures. Al-Andalus shall become the new holy land.

I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, propose that we turn Qurtuba into a new holy site. We must build a temple there, give control of it to the Ulama, raise its development to twenty (no manpower please) as soon as possible, and build a temple.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Of course, I have no idea how military or naval mechanics work in this game, but I love the idea of humiliating the Catholics by once again seizing their holiest city. We don't even need to control the territory directly if other Muslim Italians are up for the task.

I propose that we ally or at least guarantee all Muslim powers in Italy with the long-term goals of weakening the Kingdom of Italy and bringing Rome under Islamic rule.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost

I, Du'ey, of the Ulama, propose that it should be the policy of the government to fund the building of a mosques in every province for the purpose of supporting the faithful.
(Not sure if this counts as a policy)

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Duey posted:

I, Du'ey, of the Ulama, propose that it should be the policy of the government to fund the building of a mosques in every province for the purpose of supporting the faithful.

Mosques cost 100 ducats each, so it'd be much more likely to be carried out if we were to build them in 4/5 provinces over the next few years. Once I can build a proper trade fleet though, we should be making a lot more money.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Not a formal proposal, but I think we ought to either reclaim Sicily/S Italy or ally with the Muslims there before the Christians take it all back.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Duey posted:

I, Du'ey, of the Ulama, propose that it should be the policy of the government to fund the building of a mosque in every province for the purpose of supporting the faithful.

I, Kasim bin Mukhtar of the Ulamas, support this motion. After all, in Surah Al-Haj, Verses 40-41, it is written:

quote:

Indeed God will help those who help Him. Indeed God is Exalted in Might, All-Powerful.

And they are those who, if We give them authority in the land, establish prayer and give zakah and enjoin what is right and forbid what is wrong. And to God belongs the outcome of all matters.

(I'm Muslim IRL, so I expect my vote to count as double in these matters :colbert:)

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
I X of the League of Merchants, propose that we colonize these new islands, if only to prevent some heretics from stealing it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So many people seem to be forgetting our policy of Iberia First. Once Iberia is secure, then we can set our eyes on farther shores. Anything that strengthens us, weakens the Christians in Iberia, or weakens France, is a policy I'll support. Therefore, I'm backing this suggestion.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Snipee posted:

Of course, I have no idea how military or naval mechanics work in this game, but I love the idea of humiliating the Catholics by once again seizing their holiest city. We don't even need to control the territory directly if other Muslim Italians are up for the task.

I propose that we ally or at least guarantee all Muslim powers in Italy with the long-term goals of weakening the Kingdom of Italy and bringing Rome under Islamic rule.

At this juncture, I'm pretty sure the Kingdom of Italy could give us a thorough whipping, or at least be able to successfully hold out in a defensive war.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I, Muhammad al-Soup of the League of Merchants, propose that we guarantee the independence of Palermo. We cannot allow our access to the wealth of Siqulia be destroyed by Italy! Placing our protection over them is key to keeping our access to the trading ports in the Eastern Mediterranean open. That we cannot protect all the emirs in that region is regrettable, but this will allow us more diplomatic flexibility.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

I am content with the great mosques that our honorable ruler commissioned, but more should be done. There was a time when Cordoba was one of the greatest cities in the world, if not the greatest. It's splendor surpassed that of any other place, and was a true testment to the prosperity of the house of Islam. Sadly, those times have passed, and our diplomats now return with tales of cities many times more wondrous than those of al-Andalus.

Therefore, I, Frionnel ibn Frionnel of the most benevolent Ulama, suggest that our ruler should pay more attention to the state of our capital, and develop it until it will truly be a city of world's desire (30 development at least).

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 7, 2017

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

e: changed vote

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 8, 2017

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Frionnel posted:

I am content with the great mosques that our honorable ruler commissioned, but more should be done. There was a time when Cordoba was one of the greatest cities in the world, if not the greatest. It's splendor surpassed that of any other place, and was a true testment to the prosperity of the house of Islam. Sadly, those times have passed, and our diplomats now return with tales of cities many times more wondrous than those of al-Andalus.

Therefore, I, Frionnel ibn Frionnel of the most benevolent Ulama, suggest that our ruler should pay more attention to the state of our capital, and develop it until it will truly be a city of world's desire (30 development at least).

I, Al-rusim khataan taht-Impy of the Ulama Second this proposal.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Policies so far:

Tendronai posted:

Tendronai, Mikl.

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Lord Cyrahzax, Luhood, PurpleXVI.

Snipee posted:

Snipee.

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I, Ralepozozaxe, The Dalai Ullama, propose that we turn Qurtuba into a new holy site. We must build a temple there, give control of it to the Ulama, raise its development to twenty (no manpower please) as soon as possible, and build a temple.

Ralepozozaxe.

Duey posted:

Due, CommissarMega.

Frionnel posted:

Frionnel, AJ_Impy.

Soup du Jour posted:

I, Muhammad al-Soup of the League of Merchants, propose that we guarantee the independence of Palermo. We cannot allow our access to the wealth of Siqulia be destroyed by Italy! Placing our protection over them is key to keeping our access to the trading ports in the Eastern Mediterranean open. That we cannot protect all the emirs in that region is regrettable, but this will allow us more diplomatic flexibility.

Soup du Jour.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

the JJ posted:

I X of the League of Merchants, propose that we colonize these new islands, if only to prevent some heretics from stealing it.

We can't colonise unless the Exploration Idea Group is picked, which happens at tech 5 (and only if the Merchants are in power).

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

the JJ posted:

Yeah, this.

eta: Whoops, nm getting ahead of ourselves.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Woof, I was not expecting the Latin Empire to be the ones coming out on top in that.

Hashim posted:

France is rivalled to us, the Celtic Empire and Poland, and there's no hope of allying Poland.

What did Poland do to piss off France?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I, Qaptin al-Blivious, support this motion!

Prince Orcus
Mar 1, 2016

Frionnel posted:

Al-Orcus supports this.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

Patter Song posted:

At this juncture, I'm pretty sure the Kingdom of Italy could give us a thorough whipping, or at least be able to successfully hold out in a defensive war.

By themselves or in a grand Christian coalition? The Kingdom of Italy was not even a great power when the game started. They might have had some military victories just now, but if anything, that probably made them less popular with their neighbors. At first, we could start our involvement in the peninsula by only offering to defend our Muslim brothers from further Christian aggression. If Morocco is willing to jump in, then I was hoping that we could later begin to opportunistically expand Islam's borders and conquer Rome. More than anything, my main fear is that if we wait too long, we will lose Sicily. Again though, I have no idea how warfare works in this game, and I was throwing out an idea for the narrative.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Soup du Jour posted:

I, Technowolf, support this.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Duey posted:

I, Chatrapati, of the Ulama support this motion. May God hear the prayers of all good Al-Andalusi in these times of sorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

I, Sheikha Hibbar Rubik of the League of Merchants propose that we found an alternate route to Mecca! With fall of Filastan we cannot reasonably expect to undertake the Hajj safely and expediently. It is true that going through the lands of the Fatimids is possible however can we really trust them to stamp out dangers in vast expanses of desert when they allowed the Crusaders to take Filastan? Unless the Taifas believe we somehow suddenly have the power to pry the crusaders from their burrows in Egypt it absolutely imperative that we find another a way. I believe that Allah guided our sailors to the western islands of the Al'Uzur (Azores) to show us how truly little we know of the seas, thus I have faith there may be a sea route to Mecca!

Rubix Squid fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 8, 2017