Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
The Cavs don't even need to repeat for the winner in the chris paul vs deron williams to be finally settled with dwill one feet on chris paul's still twitching corpse while holding up the conference finals banner high above his head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

How did you think jazz was going to steal a game? By making all the warriors lethargic from the lack of evening entertainment?

Having dominant rim protection and pretty great defense in general

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Gordon Hayward is gonna get exactly one hells of a contract from Blizzard

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
It's such a shame then that the team that can score more is the one that wins the game

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

euphronius posted:

Jordan was not the all around player as lebron and won rings against less than historical teams.

I mean he averaged 30/6/5 for his career including a 32/8/8 season where he played pg, was a consistent top 5 perimeter defender, and beat a string of all time top 25 guys for his rings and All but one of the teams he beat it in the finals had a 6 or better SRS, too. I guess he was bad at threes?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

The Cavs don't even need to repeat for the winner in the chris paul vs deron williams to be finally settled with dwill one feet on chris paul's still twitching corpse while holding up the conference finals banner high above his head

that argument was settled when Illinois destroyed wake

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Ghost Dog posted:

the jazz are good enough to take a game from the warriors but they got injured like every single team that plays the warriors

Coincidence or conspiracy

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Lebron is really great, sorry if that's a controversial take.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I thought Utah was good enough to take a game, maybe two at the most optimistic projection against GSW. But while they can slow it down and make it ugly, they don't have the scoring heft to do much work against the Warriors.

Oh well, this is still the most watchable Jazz team since Sloan retired and Deron was traded, so it was a successful season. I still really like their potential going forward.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Michael Jordan has a ring for every expansion team added while he was on the Bulls roster. (one more team was added while he was on the Wizards.) 0 teams were added to the league during LeBron's time. This and better international players are just a few of the reasons why LeBron played in a deeper era than Jordan.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 8, 2017

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I apologize for cyber bullying patrick beverley

NOT

drat. Got em

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DeimosRising posted:

I mean he averaged 30/6/5 for his career including a 32/8/8 season where he played pg, was a consistent top 5 perimeter defender, and beat a string of all time top 25 guys for his rings and All but one of the teams he beat it in the finals had a 6 or better SRS, too. I guess he was bad at threes?

LBJ is a better passer than Jordan was, in terms of court vision and making those crazy passes by thinking a couple seconds ahead to perfect spots that no one else even sees. But Jordan was not a shabby passer in his own right, just not quite as good as James.

Jordan was obviously a bit better in pure scoring, a jumpshooter and slasher where LeBron is a driver, if we have to put them in categories like that. Long-range shooting is about even (disclaimer: I did not look up the numbers before saying that and wouldn't be surprised to find out there's more difference than I think). Offensive output between the two is probably pretty similar if we fold in value assists as a measure of playmaking.

James is a marginally better defender than Jordan, if only because of his size and strength and ability to guard all five positions. Again this is not really a slight to MJ since he was a truly elite perimeter defender.

I watched all of Michael's career closely, and I have watched all of LeBron's. The league is deeper now, and rings aren't the right measure anyway...so I would give LeBron the very slight edge based on the fact that he's only 32 right now. Another couple of conference championships, maybe another ring (but he doesn't need it), taking/extending the lead in net points and win shares in both regular season and playoffs for another three-ish years -- and oh yeah, he's likely to finish top 10 in career assists (the only non-PG in the top 25 already), if he doesn't get injured he could get into the top 50 in career rebounds (the only other player in top 50 for assists and boards is the Big O, if I recall right), and he's going to finish probably 3rd in career points behind Kareem and MJ.

He's already the all-time leader in VoRP by a substantial margin, and probably will finish behind only Kareem and Wilt in regular season win shares. He's already got more playoff win-shares and net points than anyone else, and if he makes just one more Finals, he'll crack the top 3 in all-time Finals points behind Kareem and the Logo.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

MJ is basically Terry Bradshaw but with a shoe deal :colbert:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Imagine how much LeBron would whine if he played in the hand check era.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What do this numbers say about​ Jordan vs Lebron in the paint? LeBron's probably got the advantage due to size and strength?

I only started watching basketball during the rockets championship, so only saw Jordan 2.0. What I admire about his game is how he controlled a game. He'll get the other teams best player in foul trouble, and dumb coaches just automatically bench them, playing into Jordans hand. Jordan getting 28-33 points was one of the most consistent thing during those years, having a consistent scorer like that can't be underestimated, because players are making decisions in game based on the score, thus Jordan's ability to generate points consistently means his team can be in control. There's not multiple long runs back and fort, because Jordan can just go down, do a fade, drive and get fouled, and his teams don't feel that pressure that they had to do something to stop this streak or whatever. And it might just be confirmation bias, but the bulls were super great at holding onto leads and winning close games. Phil just sat there like an idiot.

I also admire that his legendary gambling has not bankrupted him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Femur posted:

What do this numbers say about​ Jordan vs Lebron in the paint? LeBron's probably got the advantage due to size and strength?

The defenses are way better at protecting the rim, both in athletic bigs and how they changed the rules to benefit crowding the area.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

RCarr posted:

Imagine how much LeBron would whine if he played in the hand check era.

He would have grown up knowing that's how the game was played and arguably used his strength more to his advantage and just run over people.

He 'whines' BECAUSE it's not the hand check era and his game is tailored as such.

LeBron would have eaten the 90s NBA alive.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Bigass Moth posted:

Lebron is really great, sorry if that's a controversial take.

gently caress you!!!!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DeimosRising posted:

and baseball =====~~⚾

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I'm a Cleveland guy and I still give it to MJ for saving basketball from the Malone/Stockton Jazz

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Papercut posted:

I just came to the realization that out of all of the teams with a realistic chance of winning, my preferred Finals winner would be the Spurs. Holy poo poo what happened to me.

same, tough times nowadays

e: actually i take this back, i'm all in on the dubs

Dutchy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 8, 2017

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
To me what defines "GOAT" is who if you could draft one single player again to be on a team, starting his career over from day one, who would give you the best odds of a ton of championships with only needing role players around him?

LBJ to me is the easy pick in NBA

Brady in NFL (although you could make the argument its Belicheck as the NFLs dynasty maker)

Gretzky in NHL. I could see the argument for Crosby but with the injury issues..

I am not sure if there is even an comparable in MLB because of pitching/hitting and how big of a team sport it is. Because a generational talent like Trout cant make the angels a good team. Maybe Ruth? or Ted Williams? Bonds would solve offense but still without a decent group of starting pitching its not championship bound.

patonthebach fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 8, 2017

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

mdemone posted:

LBJ is a better passer than Jordan was, in terms of court vision and making those crazy passes by thinking a couple seconds ahead to perfect spots that no one else even sees. But Jordan was not a shabby passer in his own right, just not quite as good as James.

Jordan was obviously a bit better in pure scoring, a jumpshooter and slasher where LeBron is a driver, if we have to put them in categories like that. Long-range shooting is about even (disclaimer: I did not look up the numbers before saying that and wouldn't be surprised to find out there's more difference than I think). Offensive output between the two is probably pretty similar if we fold in value assists as a measure of playmaking.

James is a marginally better defender than Jordan, if only because of his size and strength and ability to guard all five positions. Again this is not really a slight to MJ since he was a truly elite perimeter defender.

I watched all of Michael's career closely, and I have watched all of LeBron's. The league is deeper now, and rings aren't the right measure anyway...so I would give LeBron the very slight edge based on the fact that he's only 32 right now. Another couple of conference championships, maybe another ring (but he doesn't need it), taking/extending the lead in net points and win shares in both regular season and playoffs for another three-ish years -- and oh yeah, he's likely to finish top 10 in career assists (the only non-PG in the top 25 already), if he doesn't get injured he could get into the top 50 in career rebounds (the only other player in top 50 for assists and boards is the Big O, if I recall right), and he's going to finish probably 3rd in career points behind Kareem and MJ.

He's already the all-time leader in VoRP by a substantial margin, and probably will finish behind only Kareem and Wilt in regular season win shares. He's already got more playoff win-shares and net points than anyone else, and if he makes just one more Finals, he'll crack the top 3 in all-time Finals points behind Kareem and the Logo.

Seems fair to me. I just object to the idea that Jordan was not well rounded or that the gap between Lebron and the other top 5 guys (Kareem Jordan Wilt and Shaq IMO) is vast.

As for Jordan in the modern era, he'd be a cross between Wade and Kawhi. Kareem is probably a mutant Gobert Davis creature, Shaq has no analogue, Wilt is Celtics Garnett with the athleticism of Javale McGee . All the True Greats are really chimaerical hybrids of Lesser Greats

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Rockets Bitch

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Femur posted:

I only started watching basketball during the rockets championship, so only saw Jordan 2.0. What I admire about his game is how he controlled a game. He'll get the other teams best player in foul trouble, and dumb coaches just automatically bench them, playing into Jordans hand. Jordan getting 28-33 points was one of the most consistent thing during those years, having a consistent scorer like that can't be underestimated, because players are making decisions in game based on the score, thus Jordan's ability to generate points consistently means his team can be in control. There's not multiple long runs back and fort, because Jordan can just go down, do a fade, drive and get fouled, and his teams don't feel that pressure that they had to do something to stop this streak or whatever. And it might just be confirmation bias, but the bulls were super great at holding onto leads and winning close games. Phil just sat there like an idiot.

I also admire that his legendary gambling has not bankrupted him.

I saw something earlier today where LeBron has shot over 70% in the restricted area for his career. The only player who has shot better in that area with at least 1,500 attempts since it has been tracked is Shaq.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

FistEnergy posted:

I'm a Cleveland guy and I still give it to MJ for saving basketball from the Malone/Stockton Jazz

He's literally the only thing standing between The Techbro Threepeat and reality so

Edit: I guess Kevin Love technically was in the way

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I'm glad that piece of poo poo, Shaquille O'neal, has strep throat and I hope it continues to afflict him until the finals are complete

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

aBagorn posted:

He would have grown up knowing that's how the game was played and arguably used his strength more to his advantage and just run over people.

He 'whines' BECAUSE it's not the hand check era and his game is tailored as such.

LeBron would have eaten the 90s NBA alive.

:lol: LeBron could poo poo his pants and you would explain how it's to his advantage.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
you think someone with the physicality of Lebron James wouldn't thrive in a more physical league?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RCarr posted:

:lol: LeBron could poo poo his pants and you would explain how it's to his advantage.

If LeBron poo poo his pants, defenders sag off due to smell and other players might slip on fecal matter while running after him. Potentially a huge advantage.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

RCarr posted:

If you poop in public you wanna go home asap so obvs he'd put up 100 pts a quarter

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Comparing players between eras is not really going to get you very far. We have no idea what MJ would be like if he came up 20 years later, and we don't know what Lebron would be like if he came up earlier.

Clearly Lebron is the guy for this era, and his 6 final appearance streak is really impressive, in today's game at least as impressive as MJs 6 rings. They are both at the same level, I don't see how you can deny that, to go beyond that means you are trying to compare stats and abilities that are decades removed from each other, and have different context.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
but numbers and stuff

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I'm watching the nba postgame here and lebron is wearing some godawful denim monstrosity that i'm pretty sure michael jordan would be embarassed about

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I think Michael Jordan is genetically immune to embarrassment, he was in Space Jam and willingly promoted it in interviews and such.

Also, openly owning the Bobcats/Hornets.

spacejung
Feb 8, 2004

chunkles posted:

I'm watching the nba postgame here and lebron is wearing some godawful denim monstrosity that i'm pretty sure michael jordan would be embarassed about

michael jordan regularly pairs golf shirts with distressed kevin smith shorts

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tanglewood1420 posted:

I think Michael Jordan is genetically immune to embarrassment, he was in Space Jam and willingly promoted it in interviews and such.

Also, openly owning the Bobcats/Hornets.

What embarrassment is there being one of the 30 people on planet earth allowed to be the majority owner of a team?

Like I don't care how bad the team is.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

I guess he was bad at threes?

Jordan was a slightly negative/mediocre 3P shooter.

Femur posted:

LBJ has much better FG shooting numbers than Jordan had. Jordan never had the best FG shooting in a given season while LBJ has done it four times. Shaq did it eleven times.

MJ has one definite advantage over LBJ in that he was a better FT shooter. LeBron has averaged roughly 6of8 from the line per game while Jordan did roughly 7of8 per game.

Blind Pineapple posted:

For LeBron to be the mainstream-accepted GOAT, he'll have to win 7 championships. 6 won't cut it, because people will resort to "But Jordan didn't lose in the finals."

LBJ can win fifteen rings and they can still say that line.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lockback posted:

Comparing players between eras is not really going to get you very far. We have no idea what MJ would be like if he came up 20 years later, and we don't know what Lebron would be like if he came up earlier.

Clearly Lebron is the guy for this era, and his 6 final appearance streak is really impressive, in today's game at least as impressive as MJs 6 rings. They are both at the same level, I don't see how you can deny that, to go beyond that means you are trying to compare stats and abilities that are decades removed from each other, and have different context.

The Eastern Conference was complete loving trash for at least 3 of those Finals appearances. It's not at all equivalent to Jordan's 2 3-peats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners

chunkles posted:

yes, but

• Locked thread