Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Timby posted:

From what I've been told, the DRM is relatively easy to circumvent (although they did change the cup shape), but the other issue with the 2.0 machines is that they started making the coffee a lot more watery in exchange for reducing the amount of grounds in each cup.

I thought the 2.0 was a bomb and nobody bought it, particularly because of the stupid new cup shape.

Philips used to make a pretty great single-serve machine before the Keurig that used grounds in little filter pouches. Way less wasteful and actually pretty amazing coffee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I have a couple of French presses including a big on for like 6 cups or so?
So my wife's parents always bitched about it and eventually one time when they visited they just bought me some monstrous 8 cup drip thing which takes up half my counter but I don't have anywhere else to put it so it sits there. All the time. Taunting me with its features and bad coffee.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So I just finished I am Not Your Negro, is anyone in here familiar with James Baldwin's writing? Because after seeing that movie I absolutely need to read what he's written, his prose is just incredible.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Started Dark Souls 2 today. Something feels off about this and I can't quite put my finger on it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GonSmithe posted:

So I just finished I am Not Your Negro, is anyone in here familiar with James Baldwin's writing? Because after seeing that movie I absolutely need to read what he's written, his prose is just incredible.

Yes, one of my favorite books of all time is the book he did on film: The Devil Finds Work.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Started Dark Souls 2 today. Something feels off about this and I can't quite put my finger on it.

It's 100% the animation. Looks and feels very awkward.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I watched A Dog's Purpose and Sandy Wexler tonight. Guess which one brought me closer to tears.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Budgie Jumping posted:

I watched A Dog's Purpose and Sandy Wexler tonight. Guess which one brought me closer to tears.

The part after where you sat staring at a blank screen and thought about what you were doing with your life?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If I may ask...what exactly is a Dog's Purpose?

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

glam rock hamhock posted:

The part after where you sat staring at a blank screen and thought about what you were doing with your life?

Actually it was your posting.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's a movie about a dog that experiences reincarnation don't watch it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I think he was asking that in the more abstract sense

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

glam rock hamhock posted:

I think he was asking that in the more abstract sense

to make you cry ten years after you buy it

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you and to hear the lamentations of their women iirc

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Eat poop, sniff butts. Very anal.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Life is short. Nod. Get treat.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
There's no way The Dark Tapes wasn't made by a bunch of Canadians. You can tell by the way they tuck their shirts.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Good grief.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
There's a weirdly genius pov shot from inside the dog's nose. Like a binocular overlay, but dog nose. Which makes sense because that's the source of a dog's real perspective. But it looked dumb as poo poo! But overall I just sat through the whole thinking "that's really not how dogs work." Totally lacking in caninal realism.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Noncanonical canines

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
It's basically an entire movie of the part in The Last Temptation of Christ where satan tells Jesus, "There is only one woman in the world. One woman, with many faces." to convince him to bang this woman after his wife dies. Just with dogs instead of women.

And playing fetch instead of banging.

Carly Gay Dead Son fucked around with this message at 03:03 on May 8, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Don´t get into arguments with Nazis on twitter. Those guys are mental midgets.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's like trying to reason with a brick wall except the wall is racist and covered in piss.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

I used to read (but never finished) a (I think) first edition of Just Above My Head from this insane collection my mom had passed down to her, it was really good. Wish I would've looked through all those books more, there were like Langston Hughes books signed to my grandmother & stuff. It's the really frustrating part of being broke that she had to sell almost all of it off to a broker/museum. But that's just how it goes I guess.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Maxwell Lord posted:

There was a whole article on the Juicero approaching it from an engineering perspective, saying that it's really overly-engineered with tons of machined parts that drive up the cost, partly because it works by applying uniform pressure to a large surface area (the packs are friggin' huge). So naturally it costs too goddamn much- anyone who wants to just drink juice will buy juice, and anyone really into the "fresh cold press" thing will just buy an actual juicer (and even the premium models of THOSE cost about a hundred bucks less, just looking at Amazon.)

A Kuerig machine is about $100. That's enough for it to be like a wedding gift or a nice thing you get yourself when you just got a raise at work or something. (I don't have one myself, and they're hella wasteful, but never mind that.) It's kinda convenient if you want just one cup of coffee, so long as you're not hung up on it being particularly good coffee.

It's like a lot of the Kickstarter Nonstarters that Retsupurae does.

https://blog.bolt.io/heres-why-juicero-s-press-is-so-expensive-6add74594e50

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Jesus Christ it was originally $700.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

As far as his fiction, Sonny's Blues is a great short story. I'm currently reading The Fire Next Time and it's definitely worth a read.

Yes, one of my favorite books of all time is the book he did on film: The Devil Finds Work.

I saw this at the library the other day and it looked really good.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

It's 100% the animation. Looks and feels very awkward.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea James Baldwin wrote a book on film. That just shot to the top of my list.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Guardians Vol 2 was pretty fun. I'm not sure I liked it as much as the first one, but it had some really great moments. The effects were amazing. Whole cast was very strong. Soundtrack was excellent. Lot of humor, including a few really great laugh out loud moments.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

It always amazes me that a television channel so actively harmful to our political discourse (CNN) also airs incredibly thoughtful and dope poo poo like United Shades of America and Parts Unknown. They have a very good documentary department too.

I wonder if Kamau, Bourdain and Anderson Cooper get together and drink and talk poo poo every week or something.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Snak posted:

Guardians Vol 2 was pretty fun. I'm not sure I liked it as much as the first one, but it had some really great moments. The effects were amazing. Whole cast was very strong. Soundtrack was excellent. Lot of humor, including a few really great laugh out loud moments.

See?! This guy gets it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

DC Murderverse posted:

It always amazes me that a television channel so actively harmful to our political discourse (CNN) also airs incredibly thoughtful and dope poo poo like United Shades of America and Parts Unknown. They have a very good documentary department too.

I wonder if Kamau, Bourdain and Anderson Cooper get together and drink and talk poo poo every week or something.

They do whatever it takes for ratings.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Budgie Jumping posted:

There's a weirdly genius pov shot from inside the dog's nose. Like a binocular overlay, but dog nose. Which makes sense because that's the source of a dog's real perspective. But it looked dumb as poo poo! But overall I just sat through the whole thinking "that's really not how dogs work." Totally lacking in caninal realism.

I don't know, this seems like a pretty accurate summary of a dog's point of view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOAi1-RRKjc

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just refuse to see a film where a dog dies, and no one gets murdered for it.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

How on Earth did Get Out not win Movie of The Year?!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Uh... it came out this year?

Also, it's still in theaters in my town, which is somewhat impressive, considering F8 of the Furious and Guardians Vol 2 are out now.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

CelticPredator posted:

I just refuse to see a film where a dog dies, and no one gets murdered for it.

What about Lost World?

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Having rewatched Blue Velvet last night, I got to thinking: what's everybody's favorite one-scene performance in a film? I doubt anybody can top Dean Stockwell as Ben for me.

Apparently he came up with most of the character details - the look, the outfit, all his weird little tics and mannerisms, etc. - on his own, with Lynch trusting him to bring him to life. Also: he said that he was more or less just performing a Carol Burnett impression, which is loving hilarious.

"If you like, Frank. Here's to your gently caress."

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Uh... it came out this year?

Also, it's still in theaters in my town, which is somewhat impressive, considering F8 of the Furious and Guardians Vol 2 are out now.

I think he was referring to the MTV awards, which has always included stuff up until it announces its nominees.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh I am ignorant.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

married but discreet posted:

What about Lost World?

Jurassic Park? If so, that movie is not very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's true, it's not.

• Locked thread