Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Mind over Matter posted:

Isn't she in the "lite healer" category now where she will almost always be matched against someone similar like Tassadar, Abathur, or Zarya? Not that that doesn't create issues in and of itself but I think they are trying there too at least.

Yeah, but her healing power is way above the others in that category. Especially against an Abathur who has to talent to do mediocre healing that can be canceled by chunking his shield. Tyrande ought to count as a full support.

It's fun to queue as her for now, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Metal Meltdown posted:

Gonna make a bit of an effort post here since Kharazim is my favorite character.

Level 1, you go Iron Fists. It's roughly a 36% damage increase to all of your attacks except SSS, and it gives movement speed. Since Khara has zero crowd control, movement speed is key if you wanna smack anybody. Transcendence healing is really weak, and Insight gives you some serious sustain but neither really touches Iron Fists.

Level 4 is really comp dependent. In most cases, it's Earth Ally. If it's a mage heavy enemy comp and you're solo healing, spirit is decent. Only take Air if you need the de-stealth.

At level 7, you ALWAYS take Blinding Speed. More dashes is your lifeblood as Kharazim. Heavenly Zeal isn't terrible, but always be dashing. Blazing fists is junk.

Both ults at viable at 10. I usually take SSS. It makes you super dangerous 1v1, and even has defensive utility since you're invincible during the animation. It's even better if your team can displace enemy dudes like with a Diablo or Artanis so you can get easy isolated targets. It can be tough to get value out of it if the enemy team is Lost Vikings/Rexxar/Samuro since they'll just tank hits. If the enemy team has a lot of burst, or has those previously mentioned heroes, go palm.

13 is the most versatile level. Everything here is situationally decent. Take Spell Shield or Sixth Sense if the enemy team is packed with ability damage or lockdown respectively. Fists of fury is solid on maps where you're gonna be punching an objective, such as BoE, Spider, or Mines. Quicksilver allows for great chase and escape, but it does have anti-synergy with my favorite 16 talent.

16 grants Way of the Hundred Fists. At this point, you are now a loving terror to any enemy backliners. Keep in mind you can move while doing this attack, so you can just stay on top of them as you Hokuto no Ken their rear end. Cleansing touch is alright, but I'd only ever pick it if your comp already has damage for days and you took quicksilver at the previous level. Echo of Heaven significantly increases sustained healing, but is a negative against burst. Dash of Light is generally bleh.

20 has two really solid picks. I think both of the level 10 improvement talents are rather bad. Transgression does excellent damage, but it really takes an eternity to unload all those hits, at which point your target probably already escaped the radius. The divine palm improvement is trash. If you seriously whiff a palm, 5 seconds is still far too long to save that target. Storm Shield is the default pick. Epiphany is picked if you wanna just go all in with Way of the Hundred Fists, which isn't a bad plan.

Kharazim can carry his own weight as a solo healer if you're leveraging his AoE heal well, but I like him best as a secondary support against drafts with a lot of squishes who want to hug the backline. Dive in with a buddy or two and watch people die.

This is good advice, but picking up Insight is going to be better if you're solo healing. Insight functionally gives you infinite mana and dramatically lowers your cooldowns once you complete the (easy) quest. Transcendence is garbage, never take Transcendence.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

HelixFox posted:

Tyrande is a bigger issue imo. She has a pretty good solo heal build that is wildly unfair to play against when you have no healer. Her QM win rate is 5-8% higher than in Hero League (depends on build but all are higher). And she still does reasonable damage!!

what's the build for this? i used to play a lot of tyrande a year+ ago but havent touched her since.

also having just found out that the money pig is gone, i sure am glad that was the first thing i spent gold on at release :getin:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Yeah I was mainly asking in terms of monk healing, not pocket DPS.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fuzz posted:

Kharazim's baseline healing is actually pretty solid, and Earth or Spirit Ally on top of that is usually all you need to be an effective healer. Driving off soft targets and baiting out abilities that you dodge with dashing ends up doing more to keep your team alive than it might seem if you're solely looking at the stat screen. That's why that guy recommended what seems like a pure damage build. Pure healer build is outclassed by many other supports.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Fuzz posted:

That's the thing about Kharazim, his healing talents are kinda underwhelming. If you watch a lot of Pro play, you'll see folks generally pick his DPS stuff because it's just so strong. Kharazim is generally best used as an assassin that also has a heal button.

I used to slam pick Insight, but found it was difficult completing the quest while being sufficiently active on the map. You can't just AFK punch in lane and not get punished in a competitive game and you shouldn't just hit the jungle as Kharazim. On something like Braxis where sustain is the name of the game you could probably leverage it to good effect, but Ironfists is so strong that I have a tough time not taking it.

If you're really not feeling his DPS stuff, you should at least pick dash enhancing talents.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Oh Snapple! posted:

Simplest solution to me seemed like it would be to just have the player check warrior or assassin when they queue as Zaodai said and your level 10/20 talents are locked accordingly, but for all I know that would have been a loving mess to implement.

Except then you have the players who bitch about him no longer being a flex pick when that was the whole point of making him "multiclass" to begin with.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The real, actual problem with Varian is that he highlights how a game that's designed around bans and drafts fares poorly balance-wise when you just throw everyone into a game blind. Much like the whole argument around stealth characters, the problem isn't really the characters themselves, it's that quickmatch lacks any of the checks and balances of any given draft mode.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Tsurupettan posted:

what's the build for this? i used to play a lot of tyrande a year+ ago but havent touched her since.

also having just found out that the money pig is gone, i sure am glad that was the first thing i spent gold on at release :getin:

Weirdly enough, the highest throughput healing build is the owl build. Get good at landing those shots and your cooldowns just straight-up evaporate. Once you get the penetration talent at 16, your heal is basically up whenever you want it in any given teamfight as long as you hit 3-ish guys.

Pick all 3 owl talents, the heal boost at 13, and your choice at 7, 10, and 20, except don't take Lunar Momentum at 7.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

W.T. Fits posted:

Except then you have the players who bitch about him no longer being a flex pick when that was the whole point of making him "multiclass" to begin with.

Those are the players we politely but firmly tell to get bent because they just want to pub stomp via a matchmaking loophole.

Kai Tave posted:

The real, actual problem with Varian is that he highlights how a game that's designed around bans and drafts fares poorly balance-wise when you just throw everyone into a game blind. Much like the whole argument around stealth characters, the problem isn't really the characters themselves, it's that quickmatch lacks any of the checks and balances of any given draft mode.

Also this but I don't know how you fix that at this point on the broad scale level.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 8, 2017

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
patch notes:

-Varian is no longer available in Quick Match mode
-Valeera, Zeratul, and Nova are no longer available in Quick Match mode
-Cho'gall is no longer available in Quick Match mode

miscellaneous changes:
-no fun allowed

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 8, 2017

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

p-hop posted:

patch notes:

-Varian is no longer available in Quick Match mode
-Cho'gall is no longer available in Quick Match mode

miscellaneous changes:
-no fun allowed

major lols @ your hot take p-hop

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

p-hop posted:

patch notes:

As a Chromie player I'm okay with this.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I bought Medivh this weekend and I'm 6-1 with him so far and he clicks with me really well but he's the first character I've ever played where I look at his Hotslogs stats and I can't get any sense about the strength of literally any of his talents from looking at how few games there are for him. I can see why his win rate is low for the general population of players but I usually play with friends and coordination and he works really well for me.

Anyways, from doing my own thing I tend to get Bird Talents and Shield Talents (Arcane Explosion and Reabsorption). I pick the ult situationally based on the enemy comp. I've found most of the Portal/Gate Talents to be underwhelming. I don't know if this makes sense or not though so if anyone has general tips who has played him a lot let me know.

Specific questions:
1) I feel like Arcane Explosion sometimes doesn't explode? I can't tell why.
2) Does the Raven gate talent do anything? It almost doesn't have data on hotslogs.
3) I haven't got to test a lot of the Level 20s. I've tried the minion clearing and spell boost and I'm not sure what I like in this tier most games I just try to feel it out.
4) Are either of the other shield talents at 16 ever competitive with Reabsorption?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

While I 100% agree that fun should be banned and Blizzard should feast on the playerbase's increased suffering as a whole, neither Cho'gall nor stealth are actual balance issues. Just things that people like to whine about.

Raynor only, Spider Queen, no items.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
1) Not sure. I never take it. :x Take Master's Touch, not Arcane Explosion. If you're playing with a coordinated team, then you can be safe while you stack it up, and once the quest is fulfilled, Medivh just wrecks.

2) Raven Familiar? It's like Lili's W or E that gives you a lil AA ally. You'll be using Portal so infrequently compared to Arcane Rift or Force of Will that it's a waste of a talent.

3) If you have mana-starved allies like Kael'Thas or Li-Ming, you want Arcane Brilliance. Invisibility is a decent all-round pick. Super Poly Bomb is eh -- yeah, it'll spread faster, but that means the hero you poly'd will unpoly quicker. Ley Line Seal is veeeeery niche already. By level 20, regular Arcane Rifts should be beefy enough that it won't take long to take out minion waves, so I don't think you want to waste a talent on it.

4) Nah. Circle of Protection is okay if your team clumps, but they shouldn't be clumping w/o a good reason (like for Khaz heals), and Enduring Will just doesn't hold up to the other two.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
2/4) makes sense and is what I thought.

1) I feel like I get a lot of mileage out of the shield aoe talent with how many melee are in most games right now but I'll give the Q-quest talent a shot.

3) Arcane Brilliance seems like the only uniquely powerful thing in his 20 tier but I don't know how much of a benefit it is because I don't understand stat scaling well in this game. Does it make other magic users considerably more powerful or only a small amount? I don't know how to value it. I've used the wave clear talent a few times but probably wouldn't need it if I had changed to the talent you recommend in point one. Invis sounds cool but would be very niche in certain comps. Both ult talents seem kind of underwhelming to me.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Is there a site you can check your Elo on?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Libertine posted:

2/4) makes sense and is what I thought.

1) I feel like I get a lot of mileage out of the shield aoe talent with how many melee are in most games right now but I'll give the Q-quest talent a shot.

3) Arcane Brilliance seems like the only uniquely powerful thing in his 20 tier but I don't know how much of a benefit it is because I don't understand stat scaling well in this game. Does it make other magic users considerably more powerful or only a small amount? I don't know how to value it. I've used the wave clear talent a few times but probably wouldn't need it if I had changed to the talent you recommend in point one. Invis sounds cool but would be very niche in certain comps. Both ult talents seem kind of underwhelming to me.

If it works for you, it works for you, but my biggest failing with Medivh is his low damage output, and Master's Touch single-handedly takes him to assassin levels.

I'm not an expert, but I think Spell Damage equates to percentage increase. So Medivh's 10% across the board makes all abilities (barring those that are just AA's like Artanis' Twin Blades) 1.1% as strong, or an attack-and-a-tenth.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Mind over Matter posted:

Raynor only, Spider Queen, no items.

they should do a brawl where each team gets 3 Raynors, 1 Tychus, 1 Morales

Braxis, one lane turned off, zerg waves every 2 mins

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Just make one-lane Braxis with endless zerg waves.

From both sides. :unsmigghh:

And by endless zerg waves I mean you shouldn't be able to see the GROUND through all the zerg.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
:woop: got Stitches out of a normal loot box. Just got chef stitches skin last night too.

Someone said earlier that QM has a base XP bonus, I think? Google has a lot of confusing results from 2015 and 2016 where people are talking about temporary XP events. I think it's a flat bonus on top of your regular match XP, not sure how much. Can anyone enlighten me on the details? Is it even QM that has the bonus?

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

p-hop posted:

:woop: got Stitches out of a normal loot box. Just got chef stitches skin last night too.

Someone said earlier that QM has a base XP bonus, I think? Google has a lot of confusing results from 2015 and 2016 where people are talking about temporary XP events. I think it's a flat bonus on top of your regular match XP, not sure how much. Can anyone enlighten me on the details? Is it even QM that has the bonus?

QM has a win bonus. Ranked games have an experience bonus regardless of win or lose.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Winning a QM match gets you +50000 XP.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So what happened to the maps? The only ones I've played on in 30~ games since HotS 2.0 are Braxis Holdout, Infernal Shrines, Cursed Hollow, Sky Temple Towers of Doom (which I don't like) and Hanamura (:vomit:)

I really miss Warhead Junction and Blackheart's Bay.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
They lowered the number of maps for the 2.0 roll out. I guess to help new people ease into the game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Cuntellectual posted:

So what happened to the maps? The only ones I've played on in 30~ games since HotS 2.0 are Braxis Holdout, Infernal Shrines, Cursed Hollow, Sky Temple Towers of Doom (which I don't like) and Hanamura (:vomit:)

I really miss Warhead Junction and Blackheart's Bay.

They're on a rotation right now for three or four agonizing weeks. And then once that's done, there will be another set of maps rotated in for several weeks. So get used to not having the full roster for a while.

People are getting pretty furious over this and I don't think I've seen a single person say they like the restricted amounts of maps (especially with Hanamura being in the rotation). I wouldn't be surprised if it's quickly sapping the interest of a lot of players that got excited for 2.0. I don't blame them. I desperately do not want to play Braxis Holdout anymore. It's such a snowbally awful map and I hate how the objectives work in that one. The dragon one has a similar gimmick but I actually find that one fun. Braxis Holdout is torture

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

If by 'ease into the game' you mean 'throw matches to get their Overwatch skin', then sure :v:

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Braxis Holdout is a giant pile of poo poo. We had a stalemate on the first beacons that went on for ages because the other team was just death balling between the top and bottom which forced our team into doing the same thing. Because the respawns at lowish levels are so short people on both teams were capping and recapping before either team could get any zerg points on the board. It was the least fun I've had since I came back for 2.0 :(

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

You know you're in for an easy win when you cap all three objectives in the first spawn of Towers of Doom. :getin:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The only thing I like about Braxis Holdout is the Starcraft music and mercs. Hanamura doesn't even have that going for it.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
Are there any heroes that can ball out of control from early to mid game like Tiny in dota? If you gank twice with him, you can afford blink dagger and bottle. Then you can delete 2 people at a time, with full health and mana after. A fed Tiny is a nightmare.

I feel like talents limit this somewhat. Even if you gank a couple times, you have a slight level advantage and that's it. By the time an objective is up, everyone on the other team is alive again Are there any specific talent builds for any hero that work for early to mid game dominance? I feel like earlier levels are more balances across all classes. Everyone has poo poo to contribute, whether it's level 1 or level 10 or level 20. Some dota heroes are crippled as hell until they hit level 6 (equal to level 10 in HotS, it's the level you get ult). Some fall off steeply at late levels, so they push for an early win. I feel like all heroes have similar power at similar levels in HotS. Is this assessment true? I have not played enough games to even see all heroes yet, but I feel like there are way fewer games with runaway carry players that get fed then sweep the street until gg. Outcome is more based on skill mastery. Know all your skills at all your levels, they are all worthwhile.

Not being able to go blink dagger / shrunken head unstoppable unkillable triple kill quad kill enemy team annihilated!! mode... that makes me sad. When your team rolls the map for the first 10 minutes, you should get a little more advantage over them. Some map objectives are kinda like this, reward/easy capture if you dunk on the enemy team. But it's not really the same thing. If you are that much closer to the skill ceiling, you should get the chance to go godzilla, go :ham: tear it the #$!% up bro :clap:

i don't miss any other mechanics from dota. Just the chance to hulk out and rule the game if you do well early on.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

ToastyPotato posted:

They lowered the number of maps for the 2.0 roll out. I guess to help new people ease into the game.

Dragon Shire is literally the easiest map to understand I don't know why they took it out, I am looking forward to it coming back.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

p-hop posted:

i don't miss any other mechanics from dota. Just the chance to hulk out and rule the game if you do well early on.

I mean I haven't played many other MOBAs but the way people describe this sort of thing makes it sound pretty dumb imo, especially since other MOBAs are intended to go on for longer, so if you have an hour-long game that can get decided in the first 10 minutes and make the rest of the match an irrelevant formality that sounds pretty dysfunctional to me.

Probably the most snowbally hero in HotS I can think of is Li-Ming maybe, who gets free cooldown resets on every takedown. Generally this doesn't really start to take off in my experience until level 10 when you get disintegrate which allows you to reliably secure kills against stragglers, and you can talent to get health back on takedowns, to amplify your damage, you can even give your teleport the ability to damage heroes nearby.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

p-hop posted:

That's not really a part of HotS anymore. Before they normalized HP and damage across levels and did some of the hero reworks it sorta happened where some characters were just stronger early on and a lot of others were very squishy. Also the quest talents almost all previously were uncapped and didn't have ends, and there were more of the "gather stacks until you die" gambles, so like a Nova could easily get to the point where she could delete anyone if she got a lot of kills. It also could roughly simulate carry characters. Like Raynor and Kael'thas had builds for a while where they were only good for soaking until level 16, then suddenly turned into team fighting monsters.

But the whole "Get off to a strong start, and run wild over the other team" is kinda antithetical to blizz's goals in this game. Things like objectives becoming increasingly stronger as the game goes on and kills being worth more to the lower level team are specifically meant to be comeback mechanics so it's less "We've lost, but it's going to take another 10-20 minutes before we bleed out" scenarios.

edit: But Li Ming mostly just snow balls in a single given team fight. Like turning 1 or 2 kill encounter into a full wipe. Hell most of the time when things are going amazing for her you run out of mana.

Coolness Averted fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 8, 2017

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Metal Meltdown posted:

That's the thing about Kharazim, his healing talents are kinda underwhelming.

They should really revert the nerf to Echo of Heaven. :(

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Spudd posted:

Dragon Shire is literally the easiest map to understand I don't know why they took it out, I am looking forward to it coming back.

Yeah the map choices were a bit questionable. If next rotation is the other half, then ho-ho-ho-ly poo poo. Garden and Haunted Mines over and over. I can't wait!

Even worse, they didn't bother spreading map types among the halves. So this half had no turn-in maps (BHB, Tomb) or PVE item drop races (Mines and Garden) or special unit piloting maps (Dragonshire and Garden). I guess Shrines is PVE race, but there are no drops to pay attention to. I think every map with drops is in the other half (BHB, Tomb, Mines, Garden) right? . :psyduck: I've never really played Warhead Junction, so I actually don't really know what category that map falls under.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Butcher is pretty snowbally in QM. Once you complete his quest he has a pretty big power spike, and people's positioning at my level of QM is terrible. Also characters like Murky count for 5 meat so you can get chubby as.

Odysseus S. Grant
Oct 12, 2011

Cats is the oldest and strongest emotion
of mankind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WsfplvaIio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Kai Tave posted:

I mean I haven't played many other MOBAs but the way people describe this sort of thing makes it sound pretty dumb imo, especially since other MOBAs are intended to go on for longer, so if you have an hour-long game that can get decided in the first 10 minutes and make the rest of the match an irrelevant formality that sounds pretty dysfunctional to me.

Probably the most snowbally hero in HotS I can think of is Li-Ming maybe, who gets free cooldown resets on every takedown. Generally this doesn't really start to take off in my experience until level 10 when you get disintegrate which allows you to reliably secure kills against stragglers, and you can talent to get health back on takedowns, to amplify your damage, you can even give your teleport the ability to damage heroes nearby.

Li-Ming's restore on cooldown and some of Illidan's kit remind me of Blood Seeker from dota. I like his gank playstyle much more than invis/stealth gankers. Your entire purpose is to eat heroes through sheer power, you can smell their spilled blood and live for the hunt. The second they choose to flee is the second they choose to die. Li-Ming is more Tiny-like, you can smear heroes if you land all your skills. If you do, you are ready to turn another hero into jelly in 10 seconds or whatever. Talents that give you a huge boost on hero kills are a big gamble, but worth it if you can chain hero kills together.