Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What will die first?
This poll is closed.
ROH 20 22.47%
America 69 77.53%
Total: 89 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I don't really understand what Cody adds to a company like ROH. He's not really good and he doesn't really have any buzz around him. And he's probably more expensive than other dudes at that level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

cody gets really good reactions in roh. he is probably the centerpiece of their attempt to appeal to wrestling normies

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Weird, well good for him I guess. Personally I'd rather see Ryback get that spot. Ryback rules!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

triplexpac posted:

I don't really understand what Cody adds to a company like ROH. He's not really good and he doesn't really have any buzz around him. And he's probably more expensive than other dudes at that level.

All the money he draws which is somehow a real thing.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

This is obviously just my observation, but at the last few shows I've been to, outside of the first 2-3 rows, a lot of the crowd has been more casual fans/kids who have found the show on Sinclair.

For that audience, id imagine Cody is somewhat significant just from his name

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I must be underestimating Cody... I thought he was just another midcard WWE guy

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

triplexpac posted:

I must be underestimating Cody... I thought he was just another midcard WWE guy

I mean, he is. But even that can help someone in ROH's position in terms of luring someone who might watch the show to actually attend one.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is obviously just my observation, but at the last few shows I've been to, outside of the first 2-3 rows, a lot of the crowd has been more casual fans/kids who have found the show on Sinclair.

For that audience, id imagine Cody is somewhat significant just from his name

this is exactly what it is. this isn't 2002-2008 era roh where it was the promotion for the 'smart' fan. there is a new subset of fan in between the wwe casuals and smart fan that's finds roh incredibly appealing. i was at the atlanta taping earlier this year and there must have been over a hundred bullet club t-shirts in center stage, which doesn't seat more than a thousand. cody, bully ray, the hardys and bullet club are huge draws to roh. they're making more money than ever since they moved away from the gabe mindset.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i would not be at all surprised if daniels winning the title was really a capstone to the hardcore indie smark era and cody wins the belt

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

and that is probably the right play because there is really a limited audience of hardcore indie smarks, and those people will show up for roh regardless, whereas if you can find a middle-ground with the gen pop wrestling fans then they can keep on keeping on

aside remember that terrible wrestling opinions thread guy who wrote a couple articles about how it was like irresponsible for roh not to try to compete with the wwe lol

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The modern finger-on-the-pulse smark doesn't like Bullet Club anymore so their overrepresentation at ROH definitely speaks to a mushy middle of the fandom that could be exploited.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

That middle ground between smarks and casuals are also the people who think Dolph Ziggler isn't completely worthless making them objectively the worst wrestling fans and possibly people in existence.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I think Cody came out at the perfect time as there haven't been a ton of relatively pushed guys from WWE who were young enough, healthy and regarded as good workers to leave recently. The closest example i can think of Del Rio and he has his own issues.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Willninho posted:

I think Cody came out at the perfect time as there haven't been a ton of relatively pushed guys from WWE who were young enough, healthy and regarded as good workers to leave recently. The closest example i can think of Del Rio and he has his own issues.

Sandow could have been one but, well, um....:gay:

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I used to go to every ROH show and then stopped for like 6-7 years. I'm going again in May partly because there are some names I recognize. Cody is one of like, 3 people my wife knows and is therefore excited to see.

Roque11
Aug 7, 2016
Back to back sellout crowds for ROH this past weekend.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Roque11 posted:

Back to back sellout crowds for ROH this past weekend.

You mean like how every WWE show is a sellout?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Folks showing up for that Bully Ray / Cody R / Ken Anderson regime that thE WWE was never able to deliver

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

When the only point you have left to stand on is "at least people are still showing up to this crap", you should stop trying to make points, ROHque

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

When the only point you have left to stand on is "at least people are still showing up to this crap", you should stop trying to make points, ROHque

If they are regularly selling out buildings that's a sign that their product is really clicking.

Most of their houses haven't been that notable so eh...

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

If they are regularly selling out buildings that's a sign that their product is really clicking.

Most of their houses haven't been that notable so eh...

Plus there are sell outs and "sell outs". And I don't know which these are.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Adam Cole is a free agent as of today.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Adam Cole gonna be WWN Champ

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

he's too small. better set his sights on the fip title

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
Keith Lee on leaving ROH for Evolve from Bix's Deadspin piece: "I spoke to Gabe more in 4 days than I did with anybody in the ROH office in the past 18 months"

Hyped to see if this ends up in the Observer.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

please stop supporting this facist company
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/03/business/dealbook/sinclair-media-expansion-fox-conservative-media.html?_r=0

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Finally, Donald Trump can finish off Vince. Just watch for Lashley's debut in RoH.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/...t.co/2TjcqBI1Ch Sinclair confident enough to make a 3 billion dollar media purchase, not confident enough to give ROH a dime

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Going to the War of the Worlds show tonight. Excited for Elite vs Tanahashi/Daniels/Kaz

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
War of the Worlds was fun. The Elite was absurdly over, really fun main event. I felt bad for Naito having to work with The Kingdom, there was some sloppy poo poo that one of the best workers in the world shouldn't have to deal with.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Also one dude in the crowd kept yelling very specific things at Matt Taven, he seemed to have a grudge. Did something happen involving him, Orlando Jordan and House of Hardcore?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

triplexpac posted:

War of the Worlds was fun. The Elite was absurdly over, really fun main event. I felt bad for Naito having to work with The Kingdom, there was some sloppy poo poo that one of the best workers in the world shouldn't have to deal with.

I was there too! poo poo was awesome. And yea, the Naito match was noticeably messy but the main event was excellent. Same with the earlier 6 man tag and the tag triple threat. The Ospreay/Cody match was good too if only because seeing Ospreay do that poo poo in real life is insane

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I also really liked Kushida v. Lethal, especially that spot where Lethal went for the elbow drop and Kushida caught it into an armbar.

Main event was awesome, one of the most fun matches I've ever seen live. Glad I went after not going to ROH since 2012.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I feel like every time I watch ROH, Rhett Titus has a different gimmick. Is there a reason he's doing D-Lo Brown taunts and moves now?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Chris James 2 posted:

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/...t.co/2TjcqBI1Ch Sinclair confident enough to make a 3 billion dollar media purchase, not confident enough to give ROH a dime

I imagine not giving a dime to programming that gets decent ratings without them caring at all about it is part of the reaso nthey have billions of dollars to spend

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

It was made official this morning

On one hand, ROH can be cleared in NY/LA/Philly

On the other hand, from what I've seen over the years any station they touch turns to poo poo (and they own a lot already)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Funny how things change, people used to complain about Naito being sloppy as gently caress.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

triplexpac posted:

I feel like every time I watch ROH, Rhett Titus has a different gimmick. Is there a reason he's doing D-Lo Brown taunts and moves now?

he's THE BIG DOG BABY and has been for a few months but that's pretty much the extent of his character development since he ran the Romantic Touch out of ROH

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I was way too happy when Tanahashi came out to his old theme last night. Go Ace is the worst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

More like Go Deuce !!

I'm going to the Dearborn WotW show tonight. The advertised start time is 7:30, do they typically do dark matches before that start time? I barely remember last year's show, but I thought I remembered arriving during a match and I thought I got there before 7:30...

• Locked thread