Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
'member that exploding phone? I 'member!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

'member that exploding phone? I 'member!

These are things I know :downs:

I've actually never owned a Samsung smart phone. I've had a few Samsung monitors, a Samsung printer that refused to die, a Samsung hard drive that also is refusing to die, a Samsung dumb phone, and probably at least one microwave. I dunno, maybe I've gotten lucky.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What if....you have to call 911 for your Note 7 exploding but you call from a moto phone that puts your location as 100km away from where you are and no one ever comes to save you from being Samsung'd irl

makes u think....

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

monster on a stick posted:

The manufacturer that did a full recall and started disabling phones in the wild? Yeah it sounds like they take things a bit more seriously than Motorola which has ignored the GPS problem and hasn't issued a recall.

Not to keep running it into the ground, but I don't think you have the Samsung timeline quite right. First they ignored it for awhile. Then they investigated it on their own without bringing in government/regulatory help. Then they finally did that. Made some tweaks, said it was fixed, released the fixed phones back out. Then oops didn't actually fix it and some more exploded. Then they finally got going with a massive serious recall, and eventually disabled phones.

Non functional GPS, if that's really happening, is awful too, don't get me wrong. Just from everything I read, Samsung handled the Note recall really poorly, even beyond people like me that help give this thread its "hurr Samsung" reputation.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm a bit down on Moto since I've been having nothing but GPS problems with my G4 Play, and then find out that it's hardware problem that Moto kind of throws up their hands at.

I'm tempted to buy a Galaxy just to piss off goons who recommended Moto.

To be fair, Samsung had the same problem but it was in 2011. The Galaxy S US T-Mobile and AT&T variants shipped without the GPS antenna even connected and GPS never worked reliably on any of them that had it connected. It was actually the reason the launch of the Nexus S was delayed a month.

I didn't know we were recommending Motorolas outside of the G-series which is mainly because they offer outstanding performance for the price paired with no-bullshit software. As soon as you get to the midrange it's a lot harder to justify.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 7, 2017

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Just fyi my new Samsung device has not exploded yet. Will keep you posted

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I bought a Moto Note 7 and it made phones a hundred miles away explode. I'm on a watchlist now.

Still better than Oneplus.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Other than the Moto G Plus, are there any decent options around the $500 CAD price range? It would be $480 for a G5 Plus including the duty and shipping fees to import it, and I'd think that the "Global Warranty" that's mentioned on the product page means it should still be covered in Canada but I'm waiting to hear back from Motorola on that.

The only slightly decent price I found for the Moto Z Play is through some third-party seller on Amazon.ca, fulfilled by Amazon, for $550 (~$580 after taxes). Is that AMOLED screen worth $100 and dealing with a possibly shady business? I'm guessing the answer is probably "no." I've never heard of these guys before ("JP Mobiles"), and they're saying that Motorola won't support any unlocked phones or phones that weren't purchased through a carrier (which seems like bullshit, but I haven't confirmed with Motorola/Lenovo), and that they provide a 1-year warranty through their "Canadian return address." Everywhere else, it's basically $250 extra over the Moto G Plus for the Z Play after taxes, so that definitely wouldn't be worth it. I think the only reason I'm even still considering this is because I've never seen an AMOLED screen up-close before and it would be a novelty for me.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

vyst posted:

Just fyi my new Samsung device has not exploded yet. Will keep you posted

Please do. If you suddenly stop posting we'll just have to assume your phone killed you.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

These are things I know :downs:

I've actually never owned a Samsung smart phone. I've had a few Samsung monitors, a Samsung printer that refused to die, a Samsung hard drive that also is refusing to die, a Samsung dumb phone, and probably at least one microwave. I dunno, maybe I've gotten lucky.

Samsung's​ different divisions are unusually loosely associated compared to other conglomerates, to the point that one division's product quality isn't really indicative of another's.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Theris posted:

Samsung's​ different divisions are unusually loosely associated compared to other conglomerates, to the point that one division's product quality isn't really indicative of another's.

That said Samsung also did a bunch of exploding washing machines...

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

dissss posted:

That said Samsung also did a bunch of exploding washing machines...

I bet that caused their sales to... blow up.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

My 6p started bootlooping this morning. Google was surprisingly quick about offering a replacement. Anything to last until the Pixel 2 comes out.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Wacky Delly posted:

My 6p started bootlooping this morning. Google was surprisingly quick about offering a replacement. Anything to last until the Pixel 2 comes out.

Speaking of which - with the Moto G4 model I have having issues, what is out there for a smallish (~5") factor phone that isn't the unobtanium that is the Google Pixel?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Speaking of which - with the Moto G4 model I have having issues, what is out there for a smallish (~5") factor phone that isn't the unobtanium that is the Google Pixel?

I thought only the 128gb versions were hard to find? The 32gb regular Pixel is readily here at least.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

I thought only the 128gb versions were hard to find? The 32gb regular Pixel is readily here at least.

The only regular Pixel in stock right now on the Google store is the 128GB black.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The only regular Pixel in stock right now on the Google store is the 128GB black.

That sucks, can you order from the Canadian play store? (I'm feeling very smug about this tbh, the tables are often not turned like this and we have to get stuff from the US regularly)

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

That sucks, can you order from the Canadian play store? (I'm feeling very smug about this tbh, the tables are often not turned like this and we have to get stuff from the US regularly)

Nope, only will ship to Canadian addresses :911:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is the insurance on the Pixel worth it?

EDIT: and the 128gb? I was fine with 32GB on my old '13 Moto X :ohdear:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 8, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Is the insurance on the Pixel worth it?

EDIT: and the 128gb? I was fine with 32GB on my old '13 Moto X :ohdear:

Do you break phones a lot? Does the cost to replace a damaged phone with insurance make it worth buying? 128 is almost certainly worth it, you'll make a big chunk of that back in resale, even if you don't end up using the extra space.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

RVProfootballer posted:

Do you break phones a lot? Does the cost to replace a damaged phone with insurance make it worth buying? 128 is almost certainly worth it, you'll make a big chunk of that back in resale, even if you don't end up using the extra space.

I've never broken a phone to the best of my knowledge. I had to send my Moto X back a few times because of Bluetooth connectivity issues but I don't think it was because I damaged the phone, and I have credit cards that give a decent extended warranty (though not as nice.)

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

A lot of the value of that type of insurance is peace of mind and that's worth something that varies depending upon how your brain works.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

:homebrew:

I stopped waffling and bought a G5 Plus. Now to play the waiting and stressing-out-about-my-dying-phone game.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spaceplan is a great game, if anyone is looking for a good use of a few surveybux. Haven't enjoyed something this much since, oh I don't know, Monument Valley.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I played through it in about 3 days. Not that I'm complaining; I enjoyed it, I just wonder if there's something more to it that I might be missing.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Endless Mike posted:

I played through it in about 3 days. Not that I'm complaining; I enjoyed it, I just wonder if there's something more to it that I might be missing.

I don't think so, pretty sure once it gets to where I'm assuming you are it's basically the end.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The Google Assistant is handy, but it's really inconsistent for handsfree use because there's no audio indication that it's ready to listen, it only listens for about half a second before aborting it because it didn't hear anything, and the time it takes to start listening after the "OK Google" isn't consistent. Is there any way to improve the behavior so that it can be really usable without having to look at the screen?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

The Google Assistant is handy, but it's really inconsistent for handsfree use because there's no audio indication that it's ready to listen, it only listens for about half a second before aborting it because it didn't hear anything, and the time it takes to start listening after the "OK Google" isn't consistent. Is there any way to improve the behavior so that it can be really usable without having to look at the screen?

There is indeed a visual queue, and mine definitely does not abort after half a second. Something is fucky with you specifically. Are you using Bluetooth or headphones with a mic for the handsfree? Can you try with a different device? I have a Himbox HB01 for my car and it works perfectly.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The Zenfone 3 Zoom is finally out after a delay. It's a camera-centric budget device with optical zoom and a 5000mAh battery that can charge other devices. Cost is $329

Downside: It's got Android 6 Marshmallow :rolleyes:

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I'm going to take a wild guess and say the camera is still probably poo poo

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

There is indeed a visual queue, and mine definitely does not abort after half a second. Something is fucky with you specifically. Are you using Bluetooth or headphones with a mic for the handsfree? Can you try with a different device? I have a Himbox HB01 for my car and it works perfectly.

It happens that way even when I'm just using the phone itself with no connected device at all. I say "OK Google", it vibrates briefly and turns the screen on, but it doesn't make any noise, and the listening period times out immediately so I have to say it again or tap the mic icon to actually get it to listen to what I'm saying. The Assistant will respond with it's voice once I actually get a query in, but activating the listening is silent.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

It happens that way even when I'm just using the phone itself with no connected device at all. I say "OK Google", it vibrates briefly and turns the screen on, but it doesn't make any noise, and the listening period times out immediately so I have to say it again or tap the mic icon to actually get it to listen to what I'm saying. The Assistant will respond with it's voice once I actually get a query in, but activating the listening is silent.

That's hosed up and should not happen when just using the device normally. I can see that being an issue if you have a crap bluetooth device or a crap bluetooth connection, but just the phone on it's own? What phone do you have?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

That's how it happens on my Moto g4, except mine doesn't time out immediately

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Main Paineframe posted:

Do you have any kind of accessibility things enabled?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's hosed up and should not happen when just using the device normally. I can see that being an issue if you have a crap bluetooth device or a crap bluetooth connection, but just the phone on it's own? What phone do you have?

Fiddling with it, I've noticed that it only behaves like that when activating it with an "OK Google" while the screen is off. If the screen was already on, it listens for a good long while, but if the screen was off then just brings up the Assistant but doesn't start listening. I'm using a Pixel XL, no real fiddling with it other than using Nova Launcher instead of stock.

nimper posted:

Do you have any kind of accessibility things enabled?

Nope, none.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

That's very odd. I'm using "ok google" with the screen off on my Pixel XL, and it works perfectly whether it's just the phone or my car bluetooth (in fact I used it this morning to call someone from my car). I don't like recommending a factory reset, but something is hosed up there.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"Ok Google" detection hasn't worked 100% for me on the Note 3, Note 7, or Pixel XL :shrug:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

PerrineClostermann posted:

"Ok Google" detection hasn't worked 100% for me on the Note 3, Note 7, or Pixel XL :shrug:

I'm in the same boat.
I think some people's voices just suck. I also have issues using an alexa assistant, every iteration of google now/assistant/etc (droid turbo, nexus 5, nexus 7, pixel). Siri also. Voice detection for me is garbage.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

'Ok Google' is a struggle for me as well, the phone seems to only recognize it when there is total silence around me and even then it's maybe every other time I try it that it responds properly

Also just saying the phrase Okay Google is very awkward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Can't wait for the future and its urban cacophony of people trying to make their AR goggles obey.