Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

a bone to pick posted:

Maybe Hawkeye and Black Widow will die during the Thanos movie, idk how they're going to make a Thanos movie without people dying.

Seeing all the deaths in GOTG2 makes me think they have the balls.

Who's due for a contract expiration? I know Downey and Evans are tapping out. Surely Renner doesn't need the payday given that he's concurrently in 3 of the 5 biggest franchises (Mission Impossible, Bourne, Marvel).

And we know Ant-man, Strange, Spidey, etc. are getting sequels after the fact.

It's really dumbly telegraphed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

I went out with delirium for a while

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

No he's the purple dork that likes jewels and wants to bang Neil Gaiman characters.

Neil Gaiman's Death is DC.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It's too bad Fox owns the silver surfer rights (I think?) because there is a lot of cosmic insanity to go on there like with galactus and the in-betweener having a fight while getting sucked into a black hole etc.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I vaguely remember hearing about some really awful Sandman movie script. Maybe now it will finally be made.

Then they can do Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth with Adam Sandler.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

monster on a stick posted:

Well as long as he doesn't want to bang Despair :barf:

I have the nerdiest theory that the original Despair "died" because she fell in love :cripes:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

vermin posted:

I have the nerdiest theory that the original Despair "died" because she fell in love :cripes:

Who did she fall in love with? Apparently there was some followup graphic novel after The Wake that I've never read that showed what she looked like but I've skimmed my copies of Sandman and that series just does not hold up. I even bought the Dream Hunters for some reason and never bothered to read it.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Who did she fall in love with? Apparently there was some followup graphic novel after The Wake that I've never read that showed what she looked like but I've skimmed my copies of Sandman and that series just does not hold up. I even bought the Dream Hunters for some reason and never bothered to read it.

Mike Stoklasa

Nah it's just my dumb theory. I don't think it's ever been explained in canon but it makes sense to me. Destruction went AWOL cause he wanted to create instead of destroy (destruction/creation). Dream died cause he had to deal with the fact that he killed his own son and its real consequences (dream/reality). Despair falling in love/having someone fall in love with her would be extremely hosed up but it's pretty much the antithesis of despair IMO. The kind of person who'd fall in love with her would probably welcome the kind of punishment they got.

Original Despair has flesh tones, red tattoos, and a little bit of makeup: :nws: http://imgur.com/GOAIxns :nws:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

vermin posted:

Mike Stoklasa

Nah it's just my dumb theory. I don't think it's ever been explained in canon but it makes sense to me. Destruction went AWOL cause he wanted to create instead of destroy (destruction/creation). Dream died cause he had to deal with the fact that he killed his own son and its real consequences (dream/reality). Despair falling in love/having someone fall in love with her would be extremely hosed up but it's pretty much the antithesis of despair IMO. The kind of person who'd fall in love with her would probably welcome the kind of punishment they got.

Original Despair has flesh tones, red tattoos, and a little bit of makeup: :nws: http://imgur.com/GOAIxns :nws:

Oh so the original Despair fell in love with Rich Evans.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Oh so the original Despair fell in love with Rich Evans.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

PostNouveau posted:

Oh good! It seems like Marvel lost its drive for the Infinity War storyline. Thanos didn't pop up in Civil War, and there hasn't been an infinity stone macguffin in the last couple movies.

I have not read the comics, but the infinity stones stuff is real dumb right? Like Thanos uses the gauntlet to kill 50% of everything to impress the goddess of Death, who he wants to get with?

That part is awesome. When it doesn't work, Thanos creates a girl version of himself to be his girlfriend to make Death jealous

Girl Thanos dies when Thanos turns off the atmosphere to kill the Avengers, forgetting that Girl Thanos also needs air to live

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Thanos being a printer-carrying loser is by far the best part about his character.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

I learned that lesson when I caught my new pet grasshopper and made him a home in a mason jar.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

That part is awesome. When it doesn't work, Thanos creates a girl version of himself to be his girlfriend to make Death jealous

This is literally the same ending as the "Wayne the Brain" episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Who's due for a contract expiration? I know Downey and Evans are tapping out. Surely Renner doesn't need the payday given that he's concurrently in 3 of the 5 biggest franchises (Mission Impossible, Bourne, Marvel).

And we know Ant-man, Strange, Spidey, etc. are getting sequels after the fact.

It's really dumbly telegraphed.

i knew evans was going eventually, but i am surprised Downey wants out. he seemed to be sorta into it plus he was raking in tons of money. i can see evans getting killed in infinity wars and being replaced by Falcon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Just got back from seeing Guardians 2, and I agree with RLM. These movies really are better for being separate from the rest of the Marvel universe. They just do their own thing and can have cosmic threats beyond glowing sky portals. And some really good music, which is surprising coming from Tyler "I ripped off Titus Andronicus's soundtrack wholesale for 300" Bates.

The Avengers films really aren't that good because they are not actually Avengers movies. They instead feel more like Joss Whedon's Iron Man and Black Widow adventure films featuring the other Avengers in supporting roles. Because Joss Whedon has exactly one setup he keeps going back to: snarky wisecracking jerk lead actor and small wiseass kung fu girl.

Civil War was fine with the Avengers because it was still a Captain America film first and wasn't trying to be an Avengers movie. It made sense that the rest of the team were supporting roles. By the time Infinity War comes along, this is going to be one ungodly mess.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 8, 2017

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Civil war sucked

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i knew evans was going eventually, but i am surprised Downey wants out. he seemed to be sorta into it plus he was raking in tons of money. i can see evans getting killed in infinity wars and being replaced by Falcon.

Apparently Downey and Evans both wanted out around the time Avengers 2 was getting filmed/released, but some changes at the executive level (Ike Perlmutter and Alan Fine getting kicked out of the creative process) caused at least Downey to reconsider and now there's no current expiration for him (though neither of them will be doing any solo films or anything).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fartbox posted:

Civil war sucked

It was better than either Avengers movie by virtue of not having Whedon involved, as well as at least trying to have a point.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Comics are so loving bad

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

It was better than either Avengers movie by virtue of not having Whedon involved, as well as at least trying to have a point.

:yeah:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah Civil Was was much better than Avengers1/2, Avengers 2 in particular. That's definitely bottom tier marvel movies.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

You know. I thought I was sick of all these Star Wars movies, but the comic book movies are much worse. And I don't even think I've seen any of them other than Ironman and Thor 2 (watched it on a plane).

How bad is the Han Solo origin movie going to be?

e: Maybe embarassing is the more fitting word.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 8, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Randarkman posted:

How bad is the Han Solo origin movie going to be?

We're getting the origin of his loving name. What do you think?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

He's not just named "Han Solo"?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Randarkman posted:

He's not just named "Han Solo"?

Apparently not. I hope it plays out just as cringy, stupid, and drawn out as the origin of the logo in GB16.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

That's the most blatant example of a corporate boardroom writing a movie I can think of.
They have to have a pretty big loving yes-man director to go along with something so stupid.

"Why is he named "Solo"?"
"He does things his own way, he's a lone wolf, plays by his own rules, we have to show how he earned and chose this name!"

Like, everyone in Star Wars has a weird name, why can't the origin of his name just be that his parents chose it? He's not a loving super hero, he's just a scumbag smuggler.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Randarkman posted:

That's a corporate boardroom writing a movie if I ever saw it.
They have to have a pretty big loving yes-man director to go along with something so stupid.

Sadly, they have Lord & Miller, who don't suck. Normally.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2017/3/23/15040696/han-solo-movie-name-disney-star-wars

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lucas is not very imaginative when it comes to names. He is called Han Solo because he's cool and manly as some sort of a khan, and Solo means he's one of a kind, number.one. Or that he likes to go solo, i.e. he's a huge wanker.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Paladinus posted:

Lucas is not very imaginative when it comes to names. He is called Han Solo because he's cool and manly as some sort of a khan, and Solo means he's one of a kind, number.one. Or that he likes to go solo, i.e. he's a huge wanker.

Lucas should have just called him Optimus Prime.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I think in Thumb Wars he was called "Hand Duet".

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Randarkman posted:

I think in Thumb Wars he was called "Hand Duet".

thats also what you call your girl friend

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

drat

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

all the prequels and in-between movies are going to be terrible. lol is it true they're going to explain his name? they killed the expanded universe to make an even dumber version.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

No Han Solo punching a giant weasel in this one

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Han Solo movie is about the worst idea and I wish people had enough restraint for it to flop.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

rogue one making bank gives me no hope.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It's going to be a movie about him and his twin sister, Han and Jaina Duo. She dies at the end.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

"One of these days, Greedo, I'm gonna shoot you, and I'm not going to wait for you to shoot at me first."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Eh, there were plenty of draws to go see Rogue One when it came out. I wanted to see it, before I knew the movie was a chopped-up mess.

But who could possibly ever want to see a Han Solo prequel? The folks who still defend Eps 1-3? There can't be that many

• Locked thread