Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Lord Frisk posted:

It's a completely different beast, and are only comparable in that they are both coops.

Sorry I just mean which one was more enjoyable to play is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

DarkHorse posted:

Also, someone whose taste in games I don't generally regard is pushing something called Bad People - anyone heard of it, and is it as bad as I'm expecting it to be?

The Bad People Kickstarter posted:

Laughing, crying, screaming, drinking and being a jerk is not only accepted - it's encouraged!

Hi, I'm Mike, the creator of 'Bad People'. I'm a lifelong game lover and felt there was room for a new, more brutal adult party game than what was available out there. I love games that really push boundaries, while also having a strategic element, so after a few drinks one evening I came up with the concept and a few of the insane questions. That night 'Bad People' was born! It has been an amazing ride from concept to creation. The game has been playtested over 50 times, I got amazing feedback, iterated the game and made it perfect. The reactions and support for the game have absolutely blown me away!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

ugh

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

Sorry I just mean which one was more enjoyable to play is all.

What is better, an apple or an orange?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Tai posted:

How does gloomhaven compare against pandemic legacy? I've got the latter on the way but gloomhaven is probably going to be in the next batch of games I will order. Heck, I'm contemplating ordering it maybe this week after reading reviews and watching play throughs on YouTube but not noticed anyone mentioning if it is better or worse than pandemic legacy so have held off.

I think it really depends on whether you like Pandemic or a dungeon crawler more. Both use their campaign and legacy elements to good effect, set on top of incredibly solid base games.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Ropes4u posted:

Wonder which if either version of brass will play well at two players?

I'm also watching

Clans of Caledonia
One deck dungeon
Brass
Card City XL

Does anyone have any thoughts on One Deck Dungeon?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Tai posted:

How does gloomhaven compare against pandemic legacy? I've got the latter on the way but gloomhaven is probably going to be in the next batch of games I will order. Heck, I'm contemplating ordering it maybe this week after reading reviews and watching play throughs on YouTube but not noticed anyone mentioning if it is better or worse than pandemic legacy so have held off.

I've played a lot more hours of gloomhaven in about half the same real life elapsed time if that's an indicator.

But like, it's a great dungeon crawler. Probably don't get it if you don't like dungeon crawlers.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 8, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rutibex posted:

What is better, an apple or an orange?

Apple:
Calories 95
Total Fat 0.3 g 0%
Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 2 mg 0%
Potassium 195 mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 25 g 8%
Dietary fiber 4.4 g 17%
Sugar 19 g
Protein 0.5 g 1%
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 14%
Calcium 1% Iron 1%
Vitamin D 0% Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0% Magnesium 2%

Orange:
Calories 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.1 g 0%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Potassium 174 mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 11 g 3%
Dietary fiber 2.3 g 9%
Sugar 9 g
Protein 0.9 g 1%
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 85%
Calcium 3% Iron 0%

Orange, clearly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Rad Valtar posted:

I haven't played, but did some digging after asking the same question myself. The main criticism I've seen is that the game is basically rock paper scissors of characters/challenges but not in a satisfying way. I'm going to try the pnp but Deep Space D6 looks way better in a similar niche (solo small form dice game).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Chill la Chill posted:

Apple:
Calories 95
Total Fat 0.3 g 0%
Saturated fat 0.1 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 2 mg 0%
Potassium 195 mg 5%
Total Carbohydrate 25 g 8%
Dietary fiber 4.4 g 17%
Sugar 19 g
Protein 0.5 g 1%
Vitamin A 1% Vitamin C 14%
Calcium 1% Iron 1%

Orange:
Calories 45
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.1 g 0%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 0 mg 0%
Potassium 174 mg 4%
Total Carbohydrate 11 g 3%
Dietary fiber 2.3 g 9%
Sugar 9 g
Protein 0.9 g 1%
Vitamin A 4% Vitamin C 85%
Calcium 3% Iron 0%

Orange, clearly.

Not if you are poor and looking for the best $/calorie ratio. Also not if you are making a pie.

The point being it depends what you are going to do with it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I eat both apples and oranges. While we're talking about food anyway, what board game friendly snacks do you guys stock up on when hosting a night?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Just unlocked our first new class in Gloomhaven :toot:

It was from our party reputation hitting 10, not from retirement, so we're the same party as before, but it's still a great feeling to open something like that. We've agreed that the next agenda we're pushing is getting one of us to retirement to open the 'X' envelope and the city records.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

please knock Mom! posted:

I eat both apples and oranges. While we're talking about food anyway, what board game friendly snacks do you guys stock up on when hosting a night?

Peanut butter filled pretzels are basically the perfect snack for board gaming. Delicious, non-greasy, come in huge buckets, and fill you up if you're actually hungry. And beer.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

homullus posted:

[url=https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bad-people-game/bad-people-the-party-game-you-probably-shouldnt-pl]
Wow, a whole 50 playtests!!!

DadJokeGenerator
Feb 15, 2015

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just unlocked our first new class in Gloomhaven :toot:

It was from our party reputation hitting 10, not from retirement, so we're the same party as before, but it's still a great feeling to open something like that. We've agreed that the next agenda we're pushing is getting one of us to retirement to open the 'X' envelope and the city records.

Congrats! :peanut:

malkav11 posted:

The reprint's stands are going to be better, not that that really helps those of us with the first printing, and it's my understanding that a lot of what's in the Boardgamegeek FAQ will be edited into the revised rulebook/scenario book/cards etc. The former two were available as KS addons in print and are I believe already up as PDFs although I don't have the link handy. No idea if point 3 is addressed, though, and if not you might want to message Isaac and suggest it. Probably still time to get that in there.

That's awesome to hear! Does anyone have a link to the PDF? I was just going to copy and paste the BGG FAQ into a document and print it off.

I bought 50 cheap standees to go with some white and yellow stickers I had lying around so I don't have to keep swapping, and 2 plano boxes to store all the counters and mini cards. What are people using to store the connecting dungeon tiles? I was thinking a ring binder with some A4 plastic sleeves.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Chips, pretzels, sliced fruit are all pretty standard.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?

Rad Valtar posted:

I've been having a blast with 2-player One Deck Dungeon, but when I tried it solo I thought it was pretty bad. Since your character will have some form of weakness (high strength but low magic, or high magic but low agility, etc.), you really need another character to balance it out. When playing solo, I wound up getting screwed by my weakness and dying, no matter which character I tried or how I built my character.

However, 2-player has been great. Since you can support each other's weaknesses, the game is a lot more forgiving. But you still need to carefully weigh your loot options (when you kill a monster you choose either XP, and item, or a skill. But you can only pick one), and judge the risk of delving just one more door into the dungeon for that last piece of loot before a boss. Sometimes your luck turns sour and you wind up with terrible rolls against some paltry monster, but there's usually a clever way past the monster/trap if you can figure out the correct order to trigger all your abilities/rerolls/modifiers/consumables. Every monster becomes a cool little puzzle for you to figure out.

Frush
Jun 26, 2008

Bottom Liner posted:

Peanut butter filled pretzels are basically the perfect snack for board gaming. Delicious, non-greasy, come in huge buckets, and fill you up if you're actually hungry. And beer.

Some friends of mine would hit up the bulk store and grab bags of a few different candies. Someone typically brings a veggie tray. Sometimes I'll even do something more elaborate like some oven-based appetizers or fries, etc. Cut up some fruit or what have you. Get some juice crystals, etc.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Pretzels are a mainstay as they are the least greasy "chip"
Fruit/Veggie tray
Cheese/Crackers (add meat to make adult lunchables)

Frush
Jun 26, 2008
Oh yeah, and we had another Pandemic: Legacy day today! Reminder to use spoiler tags as appropriate since we have people who haven't played, please!

So far we've played to the end of May. We've only lost once at the start of May, and so we've basically had nothing in the way of funding for a while now. I think that's pretty good. It's definitely been getting harder. One little mistake where we got ahead of ourselves and got a bad draw (literally the only one that could screw us) and we all took a scar as a result.

For most of our wins we managed to eradicate at least one of the diseases, so we've got all four debuffs on yellow and three on blue. Definitely helpful, but we don't have much in the way of research stations, so I think we may have to work on infrastructure.

Those faded are really rough! Really neat little minis though. We've managed to keep them mostly contained, but I can see things getting a lot worse before they get better. Aggressive quarantine has been our best strategy so far, and I'm not really seeing the value in most cases of roadblocks by comparison, since you can still lose by outbreak counter. Has anyone found the military stuff particularly useful? We're only playing with three people so our role diversity is a bit lower.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

My last boardgame night involved breaking for ribeyes, dry fried green beans, mashed potatoes, and wine between games. The evening was concluded with cheesecake.

It was also our first time playing Sushi Go. It was a ton of fun with seven. Usually we play area control like Kemet or Forbidden Stars or the occasional Fury of Dracula, so it was a nice change of pace.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 8, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Frush posted:

Oh yeah, and we had another Pandemic: Legacy day today! Reminder to use spoiler tags as appropriate since we have people who haven't played, please!

So far we've played to the end of May. We've only lost once at the start of May, and so we've basically had nothing in the way of funding for a while now. I think that's pretty good. It's definitely been getting harder. One little mistake where we got ahead of ourselves and got a bad draw (literally the only one that could screw us) and we all took a scar as a result.

For most of our wins we managed to eradicate at least one of the diseases, so we've got all four debuffs on yellow and three on blue. Definitely helpful, but we don't have much in the way of research stations, so I think we may have to work on infrastructure.

Those faded are really rough! Really neat little minis though. We've managed to keep them mostly contained, but I can see things getting a lot worse before they get better. Aggressive quarantine has been our best strategy so far, and I'm not really seeing the value in most cases of roadblocks by comparison, since you can still lose by outbreak counter. Has anyone found the military stuff particularly useful? We're only playing with three people so our role diversity is a bit lower.

Hold on, if you're in the fifth month how can you have a total of 7 viral debuffs? Did you guys eradicate 2 in one game? Cuz if so that's pretty impressive

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Mikey Purp posted:

Hold on, if you're in the fifth month how can you have a total of 7 viral debuffs? Did you guys eradicate 2 in one game? Cuz if so that's pretty impressive
Or they didn't do the viral debuffs in order, which is a rule a ton of people got wrong :v:

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Mikey Purp posted:

According to the FAQ on boardgamegeeks, you can apply 2 game end mutations to the same disease.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sorry if this was posted already but I got a chuckle out of it

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
We're going Pandemic Legacy now too. Won January, lost first run at February when we had EVERYTHING UNDER CONTROL and lost by 1 cube on 1 disease the untreatable one that we had almost completely quarantined. Almost having eradicated 2 diseases already.

We called the red diseases easybola having successfully eradicated it before halfway through both games. I'm certain this will not come back to haunt us AT ALL.

We also named the blue disease Trivialitis having eradicated it in the second game and chucked both our upgrades at mutating it to level 2 easy.

Because we are gluttons for punishment apparently.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

GrandpaPants posted:

Played Aeon's End on Friday. I thought it was boring and tedious. Imagine if Dominion had like double the number of Provinces so that every turn you just keep hoping your engine activates until the game is finally mercifully over.

Could you elaborate, please?

I've been reading the rules and the "no shuffle" thing makes it look like instead of your deck being progressively better in an homogeneous manner, you're going through a series of slightly less crappy hands until you reach the good stuff at the bottom of your deck. They try to inject some strategy by allowing you to alter the order in which you discard cards, letting you go through the discard and letting you keep some cards in hand, but then forbid looking through your deck, so good luck remembering the order of 30 cards.

Also, at least one of the nemesis has a mechanic where you shuffle your discard into your deck, so gently caress one of the selling points of the game, I guess?

It's a pity, because a friend just got it, which means I'll have to play it at least a couple of times.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I didn't mind it the one time I played it - it doesn't really HAVE VP cards, so the whole game is about making sure you optimise your deck from minute 1, and basically nothing else.

It could do with more trashing options though.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 8, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Motherfuckin carrot sticks.

But I mostly play games with people who are sick of all snacks being unhealthy. :v:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Rubella, inbluenza, but we haven't named the other ones yet.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

silvergoose posted:

Motherfuckin carrot sticks.

But I mostly play games with people who are sick of all snacks being unhealthy. :v:

Gummy Bears, peanuts and beer. I'm a manchild.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Fat Samurai posted:

Gummy Bears, peanuts and beer. I'm a manchild.

I love me some trail mix. That's basically what sustained me at GenCon last year.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Muscular Goonstrophy!

Played a full 4 Era game of The Colonists last night, 2p. I actually got my engine to work and employed Merchants! My opponent caught on pretty quick and ended up using the High Official in Era 4 to totally screw me over multiple times. If not for that I would've had much better success, but overall I think I'm getting it. Final score was 256-180.

The Stables, and increasing your range in general, are boss moves. And my opponent realized that my Envoy Colony relations were countered by the Lord Colony, so that hindered my plan, too.

Johnny Truant fucked around with this message at 12:30 on May 8, 2017

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

We also named the blue disease Trivialitis having eradicated it in the second game and chucked both our upgrades at mutating it to level 2 easy.

Should've named the blue one Captain Trips imo

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rutibex posted:

Not if you are poor and looking for the best $/calorie ratio. Also not if you are making a pie.

The point being it depends what you are going to do with it.

Nah it's pretty clear cut which is better. You can have different scenarios but one serving of one vs the other shows a cut and dry superior set of numbers. You can make the same comparison amongst meats. Bodybuilders will eat certain ones over others to min-max intake after all.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Captain Tripps and China Red

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

DadJokeGenerator posted:

So, Gloomhaven. We managed to get a game going last night and started the campaign with a Spellweaver, Brute, and Tinkerer. We're all pretty experienced with dungeon crawlers, D&D 4E, and resource management strategies but this still made us sweat. Spellweaver exhausted in the second room in the first scenario after we realized how punishing the discard/lost card system can be for a class with a low number of cards in their hand, and how we can't just take our time in a room once we've cleared out the monsters.

It's unlike anything we've played before and I can't wait for the next game. Highly recommended if you want a hard dungeon crawler with a twist, not recommended for newbies or casual gamers.

Bad Points:
1) The stands for the monsters (I got the kickstarter version with PC minis) are bad, they look brittle and the hard plastic can ruin the cardboard. The XP and HP trackers on the small player mats (MAN, they are small) are hot garbage, backing the 2nd ed. upgrade kit was a smart move.
2) No glossary or FAQ in the rulebook. The FAQ on Boardgamegeek is essential and I hope it (or something like it) gets put in the 2nd Edition box.
3) No 'Read this first!' or 'Starting the campaign checklist' in the box. The 6 starting classes are first mentioned on page 42 of the rule book, finding out which cards are available in the starting market is on another page, finding out only the first 30 city and road encounter cards are used to begin with is on another, etc. Just stick it all together somewhere.

Good Points:
1) Every thing that's already been said previously is or sounds true. This game is awesome and is nearly everything a dungeon crawler would want.

I agree with literally all of this, down to being the Spellweaver, getting through the first group of enemies and being like "uhhhhhhhhhhh gently caress I'm gonna be exhausted in two turns???" It also took me a solid twenty minutes to find the starting boxes and then another ten on top of that to find the minis. I'm an intelligent person.

I ended up using https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/143354/first-game-setup-guide to get through the first game to great use.

The actual experience, though, was magic. So tight, so clean.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 8, 2017

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

just lol if you don't eat Orange Pie

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

DarkHorse posted:

So against my better judgement I played Twilight Imperium the other Saturday. It was as awful as everyone warned me, and I'm resolved to never play that abortion of a game ever again. I can go into more detail if anyone is interested, but suffice to say we started playing at 10 AM, didn't get done until after 9 PM, and it was clear I had no chance of winning sometime around hour six. I only stuck around for the sake of my other friends, and I only played in the first place because I'll try anything once. Never again, though.

Also, someone whose taste in games I don't generally regard is pushing something called Bad People - anyone heard of it, and is it as bad as I'm expecting it to be?

TI3 is great and that is a crazy length for a game of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lord Frisk posted:

Captain Tripps and China Red

We woudl have used hacker collectives if we could think of any other than Fancy Bears, after the comment that these really felt like warring botnets.