Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cythereal posted:

Suvi has about one new thing to talk about per main story quest.

It's been several, she hasn't had anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Snuffman posted:

The shattered planet with the low gravity was the best planet. I wanted more weird stuff like that instead of two desert planets.

Yea, that was really cool. The effect of the dust being kicked up by the nomad looked really good as well.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Macronomics!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thor-Stryker posted:

I think he's laying off the Synth ending only because I'm sure in Mac Walter's mind, if the Synth ending was cannon, then the rest of the Milky Way would have gotten to Andromeda faster than the Arks because of their technologically advanced 'Synth' hyper-drives built by superior robohuman technology.

No, but he's clearly pouting and stamping his foot about Synthesis being good considering a major part of Andromeda is about having a wetware link fusing Ryder and SAM together in symbiosis.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, but he's clearly pouting and stamping his foot about Synthesis being good considering a major part of Andromeda is about having a wetware link fusing Ryder and SAM together in symbiosis.

I like how Ryder has no issues with the idea that SAM can kill her whenever he feels like it.

I'm at the mission where the game wants me to put Ghost Storm (lol) on the Tempest. Is this nearing the end of the game? I've only gotten around to plopping two outposts down so far.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Cythereal posted:

Suvi has about one new thing to talk about per main story quest.

like most of your other non-squaddie crew members, their once-per-story mission dialogue update is usually in the "well wasn't that some poo poo?" territory. It sucks, but i like hearing her talk so, :shrug:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

lol that the only people to think that grafting an artificial intelligence into your head as seriously loving weird are the anti-AI guys in their sweet hacker clubhouse on the fart smell planet. And your doctor too, but only after you are literally killed by it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how Ryder has no issues with the idea that SAM can kill her whenever he feels like it.

In my fanfiction, SAM has enough control of physiological reactions that cause fear, stress, and suspicion to ensure that Ryder never feels any of those about SAM.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm at the mission where the game wants me to put Ghost Storm (lol) on the Tempest. Is this nearing the end of the game? I've only gotten around to plopping two outposts down so far.

What's Ghost Storm? is it a big gun?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drifter posted:

Some stealth thing to evade the Kett. It's needed to get to Meridian so the Kett don't murder me first. I just did the Flagship mission.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You're basically starting the final quest chain. If you just mainline it, you can probably bump it off in about 2 hours.

Something I really liked about the final battle is that your whole crew is there. So many games with large parties kind of ignore who you didn't choose to take on the final mission.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

twistedmentat posted:

You're basically starting the final quest chain. If you just mainline it, you can probably bump it off in about 2 hours.

Something I really liked about the final battle is that your whole crew is there. So many games with large parties kind of ignore who you didn't choose to take on the final mission.

Thats one of the few good lessons they took from ME3, the same thing happened in the Citadel DLC mission.

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

twistedmentat posted:

The "boss" fight was hot garbage though. I'd take a baby reaper boss over what MEA pooped out.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I thought I heard them chiming in, but the last mission is such a clusterfuck of enemies and fighting the goofy-rear end environment that I don't think I even saw them.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is kind of a weird stance that smacks of hating things because of a grudge against Walters. ME3's Synthesis was dumb because it was a nonsensical hand-wave. "Robots hate humans, so what if we make them human? And make you robot? We'll use a magic laser to do it to the whole galaxy." It solved a nonexistent problem in a devastatingly awful way. You even spend the whole game convincing Javik that diversity is better than enforced conformity, but nope, we all have to be the same.

In Andromeda, you have an AI buddy because it lets you be some greenhorn kid who quickly gains the skills to save everyone from the space monsters. In the end, having that crutch bites you in the rear end. Nobody else is getting wired up against their will, and ultimately, you don't even need SAM. He's more important to the writers to push you from one map marker to the next without actually developing a story to send you there.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Error 404 posted:

Thats one of the few good lessons they took from ME3, the same thing happened in the Citadel DLC mission.

I liked it in the citadel DLC and I liked it in this ending. Even supporting characters from the planets showed up for parts.

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Nobody else is getting wired up against their will, and ultimately, you don't even need SAM.

Just ignore the nose bleeds, that wont be explained yet.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I liked it in the citadel DLC and I liked it in this ending. Even supporting characters from the planets showed up for parts.

Just ignore the nose bleeds, that wont be explained yet.

The nosebleeds are simple to explain.

They happen whenever Ryder thinks about the Mona Lisa's hands.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Chill Nazi Frog posted:

I thought I heard them chiming in, but the last mission is such a clusterfuck of enemies and fighting the goofy-rear end environment that I don't think I even saw them.

Me either. And like I said earlier some Salarian with a name beginning with H popped up and was chatting to me during some of it. No idea who they were and when I died and had to reload they were gone!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
game bad

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

twistedmentat posted:

Oh cool. Do I auto-fail anything if I don't get it done first?

quote:

game bad

game alright

story bad

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

It's a throwaway line that you never see in action.

What you thought they'd actually put some effort into representing it in game?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DancingShade posted:

It's just a sensor jammer, which the game for some reason thinks is a Plot Device.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Probably relating to cut story missions? That's the excuse I use whenever there's a weird story leap.

Like the Angaran Vault. I assume at one point the Angara homeworld was explorable, a mix of volcanic and jungle, but instead its just a jump-cut we're-in-the-vault-now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snuffman posted:

Probably relating to cut story missions? That's the excuse I use whenever there's a weird story leap.

Like the Angaran Vault. I assume at one point the Angara homeworld was explorable, a mix of volcanic and jungle, but instead its just a jump-cut we're-in-the-vault-now.

There's a lot of smash cuts that shouldn't be, like Voeld immediately becoming a functioning outpost.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh cool. Do I auto-fail anything if I don't get it done first?

The game will tell you when you go to the final area. So best to finish up everything you want to make sure you've done before the end. I know after I finished all the tasks I ignored were still there, and there's actually a handful of post ending quests. Including one that You choose who will be nominated to be the head of the Nexus council. I chose Morda because it would bother Tann the most.

But yea, the final area was pretty lackluster. Why not have unique deadly Remanent bot to fight?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

twistedmentat posted:

The game will tell you when you go to the final area. So best to finish up everything you want to make sure you've done before the end. I know after I finished all the tasks I ignored were still there, and there's actually a handful of post ending quests. Including one that You choose who will be nominated to be the head of the Nexus council. I chose Morda because it would bother Tann the most.

But yea, the final area was pretty lackluster. Why not have unique deadly Remanent bot to fight?

Thanks! I'll do the vault stuff and loyalty missions then go, then. Speaking of which I should probably do Eladaan's vault stuff to help my Krogan buds out.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks! I'll do the vault stuff and loyalty missions then go, then. Speaking of which I should probably do Eladaan's vault stuff to help my Krogan buds out.

It's a good idea to get all the planets to 100% because there is a post end mission thing that benefits from it. It's nothing important but it's kinda nice.

As with ME1-3 I found the femRyder voice way better than the male, so I'm hesitant to play a male character, and the only real incentive is the Cora Romance.

Reading this thing about the romances, according to it you cannot romance Peebee if you Kill her ex, but I totally did, and we totally did the nasty, so I dunno, maybe when I told her that Kalinda was a user who treated Peebee like crap at every opportunity that she came around

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 8, 2017

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

DancingShade posted:

Huh? Yes they do. They use it to get onto Meridian without being detected.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RatHat posted:

Huh? Yes they do. They use it to get onto Meridian without being detected.

Yeah it's just a technology that can make multiple friendly ships all have the same signature as yours, to take some heat off you since you're a civilian ship and can't fight back.

You still get detected and take some hits, the idea was that with OPERATION GHOST STORM you're not being completely dogpiled.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

twistedmentat posted:

It's a good idea to get all the planets to 100% because there is a post end mission thing that benefits from it. It's nothing important but it's kinda nice.

100% specifically or over 70%? I've already got Voeld there without actually trying to so it's not hard to do either way.

quote:

Yeah it's just a technology that can make multiple friendly ships all have the same signature as yours, to take some heat off you since you're a civilian ship and can't fight back.

It's still hilarious that it didn't occur to a single person in the Initiative to bring a ship with guns in case an alien doesn't like them.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Tempest is for exploration, and it has stealth systems if it does run into hostile aliens. Not having guns on it probably also helps with diplomacy.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
what if they need to shoot an asteroid?

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Moola posted:

what if they need to shoot an asteroid?

That's what the Widowmaker is for

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

It's a shame how the "you're explorers, not soldiers!" theming went as far as putting no guns on the Tempest and the Nomad, and then having nearly everything that moves on the vast planetary surfaces you explore be something you're meant to murder. Including random wildlife that your squadmates aggro onto if they get within firing range.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

RBA Starblade posted:

There's a lot of smash cuts that shouldn't be, like Voeld immediately becoming a functioning outpost.

The Elaaden one is the worst. It cuts away and not only is there an outpost but someone in the outpost tells you that "people have left to join a cult". It's like...you've been here for an hour, what the hell are you talking about?

Huge bits of the game are like that, you're definitely treated like it's been much longer than it really has.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

RBA Starblade posted:

It's still hilarious that it didn't occur to a single person in the Initiative to bring a ship with guns in case an alien doesn't like them.

They have ships with guns on them. They just don't have enough to take on an entire fleet.

The Tempest wasn't supposed to be a vanguard of a military force.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Android Blues posted:

It's a shame how the "you're explorers, not soldiers!" theming went as far as putting no guns on the Tempest and the Nomad, and then having nearly everything that moves on the vast planetary surfaces you explore be something you're meant to murder. Including random wildlife that your squadmates aggro onto if they get within firing range.

There's a lot of this in the game, not just this aspect, and it comes down to effort.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dexo posted:

They have ships with guns on them. They just don't have enough to take on an entire fleet.

The Tempest wasn't supposed to be a vanguard of a military force.

I know the Tempest isn't, but as far as I can tell the Nexus plan for dealing with literally anything approaching the Nexus is "hope no one realizes the Nexus exists". Right before the mission talking about OPERATION GHOST STORM Tann and the others was talking about how hosed they are if the Kett even slightly look in their direction, so they don't want the Pathfinders to go stirring up trouble.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Building a civilian ship with guns on it is probably illegal in the Milky Way, especially considering if they put a gun on the spine of an Ark ship, it'd be a dreadnought.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm not criticizing it as a plothole or anything btw, I just like how it drives home how incompetent and poorly thoughtout the whole AI was, down to the "first contact protocols" being "wing it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
The only thing that could have made Ghost Storm better is if the name was randomly generated ala XCom 2, with voice acting for all the combinations.