Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm taking my wife to Osaka for our anniversary this week, I've got ~220k yen in cash to last 8 days (hotel and flight stuff already paid for, along with some tickets to poo poo she will enjoy like USJ), is that gonna be enough to eat and get around on the subway to see stuff around the city or is my credit card going to have to take a beating too?

She is mostly probably gonna want to see Osaka castle, some shrines, the aquarium. Maybe go to Kyoto for a day or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Highly suggest you visit Himeji Castle if she wants to see an actual castle.

Check out shinkansen ticket prices if you will be paying for those out of your 220k. Otherwise, it's more than enough.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

History Comes Inside! posted:

I'm taking my wife to Osaka for our anniversary this week, I've got ~220k yen in cash to last 8 days (hotel and flight stuff already paid for, along with some tickets to poo poo she will enjoy like USJ), is that gonna be enough to eat and get around on the subway to see stuff around the city or is my credit card going to have to take a beating too?

She is mostly probably gonna want to see Osaka castle, some shrines, the aquarium. Maybe go to Kyoto for a day or two.

220k for 8 days should be good unless you eat at 3* places every night. Do you guys like to go to fancy bars? But hey there's the credit card so don't worry too much!

Actually that's 27.5 per day and 13.75k per person per day. Not counting fast food, dinner will cost 3k-5k per person at a restaurant and then there's admission fees and subway fees. Cutting it close. Really depends on the stuff like you to eat. You probably have some left over if you guys aren't big into drinking and shopping, there's enough for the occasional bar trip or buying some gift or trinket

You can survive on Lawson's and Sukiya, but for an anniversary?

caberham fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 7, 2017

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

We aren't drinkers so there's no budget needed for alcohol, food wise we will probably be just eating street food stuff in the day and we might go for a meal somewhere a couple of nights (recommendations welcome, we're staying in a hotel in Shinsaibashi (spelling?) if that helps). We are generally low maintenance people. We've never been to Japan so I just wasn't sure how expensive the day to day stuff was gonna be and googling gave wildly differing opinions.

I've looked at the bullet train for Kyoto and it seems like the way we'll probably go, I'll look up that castle and take her there too, thanks!

If the card has to take a beating then so be it, we're both working and don't have kids so we have that sweet sweet lower middle class disposable income action.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 7, 2017

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

It really will mainly come down to food costs. The budget might be tight if you splash out on food/shopping, but for regular sightseeing? Even including sidetrips to Kyoto or Himeji it should be enough (just have your credit card ready as a back up). The aquarium in Osaka ('Kaiyukan') has an entrance fee of 2,300JPY per person, but I think that'll be at the high-end when it comes to individual entrance fees.

Also, when going to Kyoto/Himeji, you don't actually need the bullet train. There are express trains that will still get you there reasonably quickly but for much less money.

I'd recommend checking this site out for potential sidetrips:
http://www.japan-guide.com/list/e1105.html

In addition to Kyoto, Nara should definitely be on your list too, but Osaka is a good base for most of the region.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Basically you can be OK if you only like to spend a bit on one of (food, shopping). Just pay attention to transportation costs too.

For Japan, food can basically be anywhere from really really cheap to really really expensive. So go to the proper places for food accordingly.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't take the shinkansen to Kyoto from Osaka, it's loving 45 minutes on the slow train from Osaka JR to Kyoto and like 800 yen.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shinkansen to Himeji for the ~experience~ but local express for Kyoto and Nara.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Magna Kaser posted:

Here's my Japan tourism pro-tip: the Yamazaki distillery tour is awesome.

Nikka is cooler.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Don't spend much time in Osaka during the day. Go to Nara, Himeji, and Kyoto on day trips

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It goes without saying, Osaka sucks.

If you want a nice aquarium go to Monterey

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Kushikatsu is proof enough that Osaka doesn't suck.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I love tempura, tonkatsu, fried stuff, and hole in the wall joints but Osaka is really unrefined. If you want grimy tourism there's the rest of East Asia and South East Asia for that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Osaka is like Tokyo but good.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Osaka is like Tokyo but good bad.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

caberham posted:

I love tempura, tonkatsu, fried stuff, and hole in the wall joints but Osaka is really unrefined. If you want grimy tourism there's the rest of East Asia and South East Asia for that.

I think you're just salty about Osaka because there isn't an Aman for you to stay in :jerkbag:

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Nikka is cooler.

Which one? Either way, not exactly an easy day trip from Osaka though.

Anyway the correct answer is Hakushu, not Yoichi.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Jesus christ onsen ryokans you make it very difficult to book night stays without a kaiseki meal so that you can massively charge to generate a profit. I mean, I like kaiseki and all, but I don't really want kaiseki 7 nights in a row. Especially if it's a city like Beppu where you can grab dinner really easily near the station or something.

zmcnulty posted:

Yes

*edit* Also I just have to agree with caberham on Osaka. For food, every thing that Osaka has somewhere else in Japan is better at, and Kushikatsu is honestly way too heavy anyway. In any case, Tonkatsu, Toriten, Tempura, and Ebifurai are all just better imho

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 08:32 on May 8, 2017

Tea.EarlGrey.Hot.
Mar 3, 2007

"I'd like to get my hands on that fellow Earl Grey and tell him a thing or two about tea leaves."
I've tried two different post office ATMs and they won't work with my Mastercard at all. I double-checked with my bank and they said they didn't receive any information at all. 711 ATMs work fine.

In the past, the post office was always my go-to and the general consensus was that it was the safest choice. Has something changed or is it just me?

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I was able to use my card with post office ATMs until I got a new one with a chip and then it just wouldn't take anymore. That might have something to do with it but I haven't really researched it.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For Beppu I'd say just get a regular hotel. When you want to do onsen just use a public one (there are some really cool ones like the mud one) or do a higaeri pack if you want more luxury.

Osaka does bar food/street food pretty well if that's what you like. Lots of people completely ignore their regular diets or eating habits while on vacation, so if they want half of their daily calorie intake solely from brown sauces, Osaka is probably the best place in Japan!

The whole "post office ATM" thing is simply outdated info, they used to be the go-to ATMs for many gaijin tourists but that was like over a decade ago. 7-11 ATMs are everywhere (many not even in 7-11s) and they're​ all 24 hours. Dunno why people even bother with post office ATMs anymore.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah 7/11 for all your foreign card needs. Also you can get a corn dog that tastes like an American one instead of being pancake batter rolled in sugar.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

zmcnulty posted:

Which one? Either way, not exactly an easy day trip from Osaka though.

Yoichi. I've never been to the Hakushu distillery though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The correct answer is Japanese whiskey is good go to all the distilleries.

Sake, also. I think I managed to visit ten in three weeks.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I'm currently sat on the rapi t express thing to namba from KIX and I'll run through all the suggestions you guys made in the morning because holy gently caress I've been travelling over 24 hours now.

Thanks though!

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

ntan1 posted:

*edit* Also I just have to agree with caberham on Osaka. For food, every thing that Osaka has somewhere else in Japan is better at, and Kushikatsu is honestly way too heavy anyway. In any case, Tonkatsu, Toriten, Tempura, and Ebifurai are all just better imho

Kushikatsu is too heavy if you're already too heavy. So I guess that would apply to most goons :discourse:

prompt fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 8, 2017

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Believe it or not. Great tonkatsu and tempura aren't that crazy on the batter and have a lightness to them. Kushikatsu tends to be stale and fried again because it's just bar food. Or Osaka just has low food standards compared to Tokyo. The only redeeming part about Osaka is its location near Kyoto, Nara, and Himeji.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You never hear "I want to stop by Kyoto and go to Osaka". It's always the other way around. Unless they barely been to Japan and East Asia.

But hey, Osaka is still Japan so on the bright side it can't be that bad and boring

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Oh and most Japan goons are based in Tokyo because there's a lot more stuff to do there, and more jobs. Sure people go to Osaka, but as a stop over. The surrounding areas are way more attractive.

Unless you really want to go to Universal Studios or something

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It's Monday. But This weekend I will be in Tokyo again :japan:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Make sure you leave enough time for Osaka in that weekend.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

My travel plans kept falling through because I kept hoping people would go with me, but I finally got sick of friends flaking that I ended up buying plane tickets and planning going solo.

A friend decided to come along and to prove not being a flake by purchasing tickets too (my stipulation). The next month I started planning our itineraries and ballparking the other costs, one being taking the train to Osaka and using it as a base to do day trips to other areas (like Nara). This was met with 'I can't afford that, I'll probably just stay at the hotel in Tokyo'. Since I'm covering all our meals and hotels for the trip I'm firstly a little miffed she would think that means keeping a place in Tokyo for her while I went wherever alone. Second I'm a bit miffed that she'd go halfway across the globe to see a new country and not be willing to pay a little more to see more than one city, especially given that I'm footing most of the bills.

Just felt like ranting.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

zmcnulty posted:

For Beppu I'd say just get a regular hotel. When you want to do onsen just use a public one (there are some really cool ones like the mud one) or do a higaeri pack if you want more luxury.

Oh don't worry we're doing higaeri or public ones as well.

"But... I want an onsen in the evening too that's really good there too!!!!!"

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

My travel plans kept falling through because I kept hoping people would go with me, but I finally got sick of friends flaking that I ended up buying plane tickets and planning going solo.

A friend decided to come along and to prove not being a flake by purchasing tickets too (my stipulation). The next month I started planning our itineraries and ballparking the other costs, one being taking the train to Osaka and using it as a base to do day trips to other areas (like Nara). This was met with 'I can't afford that, I'll probably just stay at the hotel in Tokyo'. Since I'm covering all our meals and hotels for the trip I'm firstly a little miffed she would think that means keeping a place in Tokyo for her while I went wherever alone. Second I'm a bit miffed that she'd go halfway across the globe to see a new country and not be willing to pay a little more to see more than one city, especially given that I'm footing most of the bills.

Just felt like ranting.

Buy me a ticket and I can be your travel buddy I won't flake on you!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

caberham posted:

Buy me a ticket and I can be your travel buddy I won't flake on you!

I find that people are less likely to flake once when they have plunk down some of their own cash. The month after we get back we are going on a short cruise that she's organizing but she's already learned that for herself: she made the deposit for our group out of pocket and a couple are already dodging her on payments. This might end up in my favor though because the couple in question made her spring for a bigger suite and if they don't pay up I'm going to pay the difference and take the upgrade so I have a cabin to myself.

And the Japan trip is proving to be pretty costly for me too since I promised to pay for hotels. Part of my plans were to go to an onsen town and while I know there are tattoo friendly ones out there most of the ones I liked the look of aren't. Renting a private onsen hourly is an option but I think at that point I'm better off just getting a room with its own private one and yeah... pricey.

Edit: if it wasn't clear, she is the one with the ink. We're it just me I wouldn't have that problem and wouldn't be making these considerations.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 18:28 on May 8, 2017

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

On the other hand do you really need to go to Japan with your concubine? There's no way it will end with just hotels/meals. I'd go into it assuming you'll also end up paying for all of her transport, activities, souvenirs, and anything else that comes up.
I guess you're prepared for that scenario (financially), especially if you paying for hotels/meals was a condition of her buying the plane ticket.

If her ticket is refundable and she isn't your wife I'd consider just coming solo, like you were already prepared to do. She'll probably call you cheap and you might find yourself using the phrase "but it's not about the money" but meh.
We can hang out, you may end up having a better time than you would shelling out for her for everything.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 8, 2017

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Ditch the girl and get forums user Aredna to take you out to a Nigerian run strip club and use all the money you saved there.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
hey zmcnulty when you were talking about the mud bath in Beppu you were talking about Onsen Hoyo Land there right? Two questions:

1) When you went there, how clean was it. There are always lots of reports of people saying that they find a bunch of random stuff in the mud.
2) Did you see any wani? I keep reading posts on how it's a famous place for them and am worried about taking my mother there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It sounds like she's confusing Osaka as a day trip from Tokyo (it's not.) Have you explained to her that it's more like the distance from SF to LA? You pay for the hotels, if she wants a place to sleep for free she'll have to follow you. Splitting up for a few days to pursue different interests can be good (and possibly save your friendship) but expecting you to pay for her to mope around in a hotel alone is absurd.

^^^ oh no the mud might be dirty, unclean and/or soiled?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea what's going on.

Is it a gift or a birthday present or something to take your friend out to Japan?

Anyways