Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Tui posted:

Are questions that aren't about politics okay here?

I just wanted to ask if anyone here knows anything about the tenancy tribunal. How do they treat cases that are just being used to get back at someone?

I know it would be really hard to prove, but if it was proven do they take an extra hard stance against it at all?

You're gonna at least have to provide some vague description of what has happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tui
Oct 26, 2016
Ah yeah, sorry. It was a silly question so I thought it'd be better to check first.

Ex-housemate is taking my mother to the tribunal because he's angry that we asked him to leave.
The official reasons he's given are a few falsehoods, some things that I did that he's mad about, and some minor things my mum did wrong (Eg, he's complaining that she came over to visit me without giving him notice and claiming it was an inspection)
He threatened a few times to take us to the tribunal if we pissed him off, so this is just him going through with it.

I don't think his case is strong so that's not what I'm worried about, I'm just curious how the tribunal acts towards cases that are petty, or to people lying at the hearing?
I've looked up other cases with similar complaints but they've​ all been much more serious so not really comparable.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Tui posted:

Ah yeah, sorry. It was a silly question so I thought it'd be better to check first.

Ex-housemate is taking my mother to the tribunal because he's angry that we asked him to leave.
The official reasons he's given are a few falsehoods, some things that I did that he's mad about, and some minor things my mum did wrong (Eg, he's complaining that she came over to visit me without giving him notice and claiming it was an inspection)
He threatened a few times to take us to the tribunal if we pissed him off, so this is just him going through with it.

I don't think his case is strong so that's not what I'm worried about, I'm just curious how the tribunal acts towards cases that are petty, or to people lying at the hearing?
I've looked up other cases with similar complaints but they've​ all been much more serious so not really comparable.

Do you have any way of proving that he is lying? As long as he was given the correct number of days notice he probably doesn't have much recourse, but the tenancy tribunal will treat his claims as being made in good faith. It's generally a good idea to always give some form of notice (texts or fb messages are good because then you have a record) about your parent visiting, if they are the landlord, even if it seems like a bit of a joke.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Broadly speaking, a landlord must either give notice or seek tenant permission to enter the property without notice. It's complicated by the fact that you're presumably giving permission for your mother, but this may or may not still infringe on the other guys right to quiet enjoyment of his rental. If you didn't outline it prior to the tenancy beginning, explicitly seek his permission for her to enter or if he actively complained about it at anytime in the past (and can prove it) your mother might be on the hook.

Standard of evidence is only based on balance of probabilities though, so if you've done everything else right and can demonstrate malice or an outright lie on his side you might be OK.

Tui
Oct 26, 2016
I think we can prove that he is lying, but I doubt we can prove malice. He will probably just claim that it is a misunderstanding. (Or double down and claim that we're lying, I don't know.)

I assumed that my permission was enough, but I guess I didn't think about it at all because it never crossed my mind that he would object to my family coming over. We never outlined anything beforehand because he moved in as a friend of mine. He came to me asking for a place to stay because needed somewhere urgently and knew I had an empty room, so we thought we were doing him a favour by letting him stay with me for cheap rent.

We did make a few mistakes at first, because I thought he was my friend and it wouldn't be an issue. But after he started acting nasty and threatening us with the tribunal my mum did her best to be nice and do everything right. I didn't, but since I'm not the landlord I don't think he can do anything about that?

Yeah, I hosed up by trusting him. I didn't think I had any reason not to.

But my original question was that I was curious if the tribunal has a deterrent in place to stop people from bringing hearings against people for personal reasons? It seems like it would be too easy to take advantage of. I guess they consider it deterrent enough that excessively unreasonable cases would just be dismissed?

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Was his name on the lease? Or did you just rent him a room?

If the later he might count as a boarder and the laws are different.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I recommend chatting with the citizens advice bureau, they're good people.

Tui
Oct 26, 2016

NZAmoeba posted:

I recommend chatting with the citizens advice bureau, they're good people.

I'll look into that!

We did go and get advice at the local community law centre, but I didn't find them very helpful. I went specifically to ask them if section 5(n) of the residential tenancies act (which says that the tenancies act is excluded in cases where the landlord or the landlord's immediate family live on the premises) applied to our case, but they weren't able to answer because the book they had didn't mention it.
I might ask the citizens advice bureau the same question if I can, they might have a better idea?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I don't see why it wouldn't apply, assuming the complaint he's filing comes under the tenancies act. Your mother is the landlord, she is your immediate family, and you live on the premises. Seems pretty cut and dried from where I'm sitting.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Wafflecopper posted:

I don't see why it wouldn't apply, assuming the complaint he's filing comes under the tenancies act. Your mother is the landlord, she is your immediate family, and you live on the premises. Seems pretty cut and dried from where I'm sitting.

If the tenant is a boarder, technically the 24 hour notice of the landlord visiting or inspecting the property only applies if the landlord wants access to the boarder's room, not the house in general, so there is a slight difference. But I think in this case the guy probably doesn't count as a boarder so it's irrelevant.

Tui
Oct 26, 2016

Wafflecopper posted:

That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure before I acted on it. The people at the community law centre said that it probably just referred to my tenancy and not his. I didn't agree with that but wasn't confident enough to act on it, so we followed the tenancies act as best as we could after that to avoid trouble. But since he came after us for personal reasons anyway that didn't really matter.

El Pollo Blanco posted:

If the tenant is a boarder, technically the 24 hour notice of the landlord visiting or inspecting the property only applies if the landlord wants access to the boarder's room, not the house in general, so there is a slight difference. But I think in this case the guy probably doesn't count as a boarder so it's irrelevant.

Yeah, since this guy moved in as a friend we didn't really think through all the official stuff. We kind of assumed he would count as a boarder but never properly discussed it or anything, I think it is too late to argue that now as he'd deny it.
I do feel like an idiot, and I'm definitely not going to repeat this mistake in the future.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Check with http://www.lawspot.org.nz/ about it? A very straight forward reading of that clause would indicate that the tenancies act would not apply in that case, which may mean it's not under the jurisdiction of the tenancy tribunal and he'll just be out his $20 filing fee. Have you actually got any documentation from them, or just him saying he's going to do it?

You could also check with the tribunal themselves, to see if it's something that they would actually be able to hear. If not, it might just be a civil matter he'd have to pursue through the courts.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

As to your actual question though, part of the point of tribunals is that they sort out the petty poo poo/people blatantly lying/taking action out of revenge etc, without wasting the courts' time. So they kind of ARE the mechanism that prevents people going to court out of revenge or whatever. They're relatively low key, don't take a huge amount of time or require lawyers, and don't have any direct power to enforce rulings, though they can direct the courts to issue summons which is an escalation very few people want. The tribunal can also dismiss cases outright, which they'd probably do (or you could request as a named party) if someone was repeatedly lodging claims out of revenge.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Are you and your flatmates going to write "Actually we all asked him to move out and he's being a jerk, we like our friends mum" letters?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

"We said it was fine if he wanted to ask his mum around, she's a nice lady, but he got all weird about it."

Tui
Oct 26, 2016

bike tory posted:

As to your actual question though, part of the point of tribunals is that they sort out the petty poo poo/people blatantly lying/taking action out of revenge etc, without wasting the courts' time. So they kind of ARE the mechanism that prevents people going to court out of revenge or whatever. They're relatively low key, don't take a huge amount of time or require lawyers, and don't have any direct power to enforce rulings, though they can direct the courts to issue summons which is an escalation very few people want. The tribunal can also dismiss cases outright, which they'd probably do (or you could request as a named party) if someone was repeatedly lodging claims out of revenge.

That makes sense, I guess it just seems so serious to me because I've never had to go to actual court, and because money's involved.
There is a hearing scheduled, I'm surprised they didn't make it go to mediation first because it sounds like that's what that's for, but I don't really know how it all works.

504 posted:

Are you and your flatmates going to write "Actually we all asked him to move out and he's being a jerk, we like our friends mum" letters?

That's the thing, it's not actually a flat. I've been living alone in a house my mum inherited.
I think he assumed that once he moved in it became a flat, while I assumed he was just renting a room in my home.

So it's just my word against his.

That also explains why my mum got some things wrong at the start, it was her first time being a landlord and she wasn't really prepared for it.

Sorry for taking over this thread with my silly problem. There just aren't enough good political scandals right now.

Tui fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 7, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

There is a difference between a tenancy and simply renting a room/sharing the house. The tenancy act only covers the relationship between the official tenants and the landlord. For example, when I moved into my current place, my flatmate didn't want to deal with the official stuff so I signed as the head tenant* and he and I signed a separate agreement that stated contact details and the bill split. He pays the bills through me and doesn't have a statutory right to a notice period, although we have an agreed 14 day notice for terminating the house share.

So it sounds like your friend had the impression that he was a tenant under the act when he really wasn't. I've never dealt with the tenancy tribunal but I presume that if the tribunal decides that he wasn't reasonable in believing himself a tenant then they'd throw his case out.

Difference between tenants and flatmates

Also if you haven't read the Renting And You booklet, do so.

Sorry if this is all stuff you already know, and if you decide to act on any of this, please check it with someone more authoritive than some guy on the internet.

* The other way of doing it is that everyone signs the tenancy agreement and becomes covered under the act. I can't remember if it's mandatory to nominate a head tenant or not. But this is also where having something in writing makes things way, way easier in the event of a bust up.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Yeah this doesn't help the OPs issue, but for anyone else reading:

The very first flatmate I got, I didn't get anything in writing, and it went south. Since then I've had dozens of flatmates, we've signed a simple template agreement available on the Building and Housing website, and I've never had a single issue since.

Doesn't matter if they're the nicest person on earth, get that poo poo in writing. It's not awkward to make people sign something, if anything it makes them more comfortable because it ensures there's no misconceptions.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Do you know how sometimes you see a fight and you want both parties to lose, badly?

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/92323356/colin-craig-sues-whaleoil-blogger-cameron-slater

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Varkk posted:

Do you know how sometimes you see a fight and you want both parties to lose, badly?

http://i.stuff.co.nz/national/92323356/colin-craig-sues-whaleoil-blogger-cameron-slater

I hope the courthouse has been strengthened to withstand the self-awareness vacuum :ohdear:

NZAmoeba posted:

Yeah this doesn't help the OPs issue, but for anyone else reading:

The very first flatmate I got, I didn't get anything in writing, and it went south. Since then I've had dozens of flatmates, we've signed a simple template agreement available on the Building and Housing website, and I've never had a single issue since.

Doesn't matter if they're the nicest person on earth, get that poo poo in writing. It's not awkward to make people sign something, if anything it makes them more comfortable because it ensures there's no misconceptions.

In general, I saw/heard about so many friendships getting hosed up from living together that I ended up using the flatmates wanted section of Trademe with considerable success for quite a few years.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Jaguars! posted:

In general, I saw/heard about so many friendships getting hosed up from living together that I ended up using the flatmates wanted section of Trademe with considerable success for quite a few years.

On the other hand, I've flatted with friends a lot of times and never had a problem. It's pretty much always been a more positive experience for me than flatting with randoms. Most of said randoms have been fine, but it's just more fun living with people that share my interests.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Alien vs Blogger: whoever loses we win.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wafflecopper posted:

On the other hand, I've flatted with friends a lot of times and never had a problem. It's pretty much always been a more positive experience for me than flatting with randoms. Most of said randoms have been fine, but it's just more fun living with people that share my interests.

I have flatted with goons. Ask me anything.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Varkk posted:

I have flatted with goons. Ask me anything.
What's that smell?

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Varkk posted:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

What's that smell?
In my case it turned out to be a cardboard box filled with like a week's worth of his turds.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm a good goon to flat with - Free choc chip biscuits every Friday.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Varkk posted:

I have flatted with goons.

:same:

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

who among us has not lived with at least one goon

vv I couldn't live with you either tbh

The Schwa fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 8, 2017

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Me. I can barely even live with myself as it is, let alone one of you cunts.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I have lived with a Goon. He is a good people

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I want to be in government so I can run over pesky protestors whenever they get in my way :)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

gently caress newshub

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Emma Hurley will be stoked though, got an article published

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

That article is really good in how it takes National propaganda at face value to claim they were visionary about issues and therefore Labour adopting the same racist and myopic view that (spoilers) got us where we are now rather than fixed the problem - despite the fact that Labour was also campaigning in 1975 on housing, had already passed immigration reform the previous year, and on top of it all National never followed through in reducing immigration below it's levels before the 1971-4 peak let alone to 5,000 a year. Net migration took a dump but that was because the economy went in the shitter and everyone hosed off to Aus, which is a really sustainable fix.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Labour finally talking about some things that will actually help with housing affordability other than "it's the Chinese!!!!!".

TL;DR they'll ring-fence losses on properties and extend capital gains tax to properties resold within five years (from two currently), to go alongside their already announced policy of preventing foreign buyers.

quote:

Buy-to-rent property investors will face a crackdown under Labour, which is planning to scrap their ability to use losses on one property to offset tax on other income in a move that could cost them about $120 million a year in extra tax.

It is understood the plan to attack so-called "negative gearing" will be phased in over five years with the cash raised recycled into other housing policies, notably subsidies for insulating homes.

Described as shutting a "speculation tax loophole" it is part of a three-pronged attack by Labour that included a ban on overseas investors buying existing homes and an extension to five years of the "bright line" capital gains tax on rental houses that are sold from the current two year threshold introduced by National.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/92551093/Labour-to-shut-down-negative-gearing-tax-break-in-crackdown-on-property-investors

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2017/05/13/27104/national-unleashes-housing-man-against-the-doubters

quote:

Don't expect any apologies or contrition from the National Party on housing - a new, muscularly aggressive defence of its most vulnerable policy area has emerged at its Auckland conference.

The associate housing minister Alfred Ngaro led the charge in a presentation laced with political menace against those who question National's performance on housing.

He even suggested Labour list candidate Willie Jackson could expect to lose Government support for his Manukau Urban Māori Authority interest in a second charter school, and its Whānau Ora contract should he "bag us" on the campaign trail.

"We are not happy about people taking with one hand and throwing with the other," Ngaro said.

"Do not play politics with us. If you get up on the campaign trail and start bagging us, then all the things you are doing are off the table. They will not happen."

The MP's extraordinary blurring of party politics and government policy implementation came after he claimed to have told Jackson of the risks directly. "I even went to see Willie Jackson at Waatea Marae.

"He has put another application for another Kura that is a Charter School. Their MUMA has taken a contract with Whānau Ora."

[...]

He told the conference there were issues within the Salvation Army. "With the Sallies, you have the Church, the social programmes and the policy part. The policy part is running riot and sayings all sorts of things and there's some tension in the Church because they are not sure about that."

Ngaro also targeted media coverage of housing. "We have to push back against some of the media," he said, detailing an exchange he says he had with RNZ's Checkpoint presenter John Campbell, challenging him over questioning, or the lack of it, over a person housed in a motel.

"I told him: 'You are not in pursuit of the truth. You want to manufacture a crisis. You cannot ask people to help themselves unless you are willing to journey with them and ask them the right questions'.

"You would never see that in print, because he did not print it. He did not record it."

Criticising regional newspapers for 'constantly wanting to tell these stories about this government who do not care", Ngaro said " I have said to our team: 'We are going to fill the boots of all the media and everyone else that's out there, all the doubters.

"We are going to be telling them about the $350m [the Government is spending on emergency housing] and take them through the process.

"When they are interviewing people who have not got a Housing NZ home, this is the question they should ask: How many homes have been made available to you? Did you decline? Why? We are going to push those questions."

An Auckland Councillor, Linda Cooper, backed the call to challenge the media and opponents. "We have got to squash that tired old, lazy notion of the media and Labour Party that we don't care."

She, and Ngaro, emphasised National needed to start talking about security of tenure for renters, as well as its historic emphasis on people being able to own their own homes.

Cooper said: "The reality is, there will be people who will not be owning houses. How do we incentivise private landlords to keep these good tenants, keep these people in the same community.?"

[...]

Ngaro claimed the controversy last year over people having to live "in cars and park benches" was prompted by "an opposition that chooses to use their constituents for political fodder."

Citing the Te Puea Marae in South Auckland, which helped temporarily house and feed people with nowhere to live, he said it was important not to rely solely on media reports. "Go out the back to the kitchens and ask the kuia who were watching the families. They'll say: 'There were two-thirds who were genuine and we wanted to hug them and help them. And one-third who were just ratbags and we told them to get off their backsides and do something for their families'."

lol :whitewater:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Holy poo poo lol

Also yes can we please start publishing more stories from people living in state houses and why they're refusing other properties? I'm sure they'll look really good for National

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Alfred Ngaro is the guy who allegedly punched a teacher at his kid's school for not praying a couple of years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Why are people challenging us on not caring about housing? Ask anyone - we're doing all we can for the two-thirds of people who are worth it.

• Locked thread