Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I keep forgetting that find traps occurs only every 6 seconds or so and keep getting Alora exploded in Durlag's Tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Vargatron posted:

I keep forgetting that find traps occurs only every 6 seconds or so and keep getting Alora exploded in Durlag's Tower.

Durlag's is the classic case of "inch by inch" dungeon crawl. Still my favorite dungeon from all the infinity engine games.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Those stinking cloud/cloudkill doppelgangers are assholes too.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

chaosapiant posted:

Durlag's is the classic case of "inch by inch" dungeon crawl. Still my favorite dungeon from all the infinity engine games.

Durlag's is right at the sweet spot of the AD&D levelling curve, where spellcasters have enough options to be interesting and fighters haven't yet been totally eclipsed by magic. I like it a lot.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Okay this chess board has got to be the dumbest goddamn gimmick I've ever seen in a game.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vargatron posted:

Okay this chess board has got to be the dumbest goddamn gimmick I've ever seen in a game.

World of Warcraft has a worse version of it. You actually have to follow the rules of chess instead of just blasting fireballs at the other side AND it requires ten people to do.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The best part of Durlag's Chess Championship is to realize that the "punishment" for disobeying the rules is to shoot bouncy lightning bolts at you, so you just cast lightning resistance and haste on everyone and run randomly around like crazy until the whole universe is lightning and all the enemies are dead.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah I just figured out the fireball bit. I laughed pretty hard when my entire group got Chaos'd across the map.

Captain Kevbo
Oct 14, 2000

chaosapiant posted:

How do people in the thread like Temple of Elemental Evil? It seems like a turn based version of Icewind Dale 2 and has a charm about it. I've only done the tutorial and a bit of questing in Hommlet so far though.

It has probably the best D&D game engine married to one of the worst plots (like a modern Wizard's Crown if you're familiar with that oldie). In fairness, I understand that it's a relatively faithful translation of the tabletop module but it's a module with a very old pedigree dating back to the earliest days of D&D when modules were extremely combat-focused with little else. I remain very disappointed that the engine wasn't ever used in any other games with much better plots.

One of the Circle of Eight mods tried to use the engine with a different module (Keep on the Borderlands, maybe?). Did anyone try it out?

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Captain Kevbo posted:

It has probably the best D&D game engine married to one of the worst plots (like a modern Wizard's Crown if you're familiar with that oldie). In fairness, I understand that it's a relatively faithful translation of the tabletop module but it's a module with a very old pedigree dating back to the earliest days of D&D when modules were extremely combat-focused with little else. I remain very disappointed that the engine wasn't ever used in any other games with much better plots.

One of the Circle of Eight mods tried to use the engine with a different module (Keep on the Borderlands, maybe?). Did anyone try it out?

What? They did a mod for another module! poo poo now I have to reinstall and everything.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
So I'm kinda tired of replaying IE games for now and was thinking of grabbing the NWN bundle since I never really played those back when they came out. I did actually own both 1 and 2, but I never finished either (or really even came close) nor did I ever get any of the expansions. I can't even remember a single thing about NWN 1's main campaign, which is apparently not uncommon. I hear I should probably skip said main campaign, while Hordes of the Underdark generally gets favorable reviews, what about the other two expansions? I see Hordes is a continuation of SoU, so I guess I should at least try playing that one first.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Insurrectionist posted:

So I'm kinda tired of replaying IE games for now and was thinking of grabbing the NWN bundle since I never really played those back when they came out. I did actually own both 1 and 2, but I never finished either (or really even came close) nor did I ever get any of the expansions. I can't even remember a single thing about NWN 1's main campaign, which is apparently not uncommon. I hear I should probably skip said main campaign, while Hordes of the Underdark generally gets favorable reviews, what about the other two expansions? I see Hordes is a continuation of SoU, so I guess I should at least try playing that one first.

SoU and HotU are quite good imo - definitely much better than the original campaign anyway.

Never played the premium modules myself.

In terms of fan made modules I'd highly recommend the Aielund Saga. The writing is a little bit ropey in the first module or two but it's great hack-and-slash fun with a good long story and fun characters, and will take you all the way from 1 to 40. It's great to play as a pure class spellcaster as well because you get some of the sick PnP feats that weren't implemented in NWN like heighten, auto-empower and auto-maximise.

edit: The "Sands of Fate" fan made modules are supposed to be a continuation of the HotU storyline. I've never played them so can't vouch for them either.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 8, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Hordes has no plot connections to SoU, it was just meant to be possible to import your character. It does share NPC party members with both the OC and SoU, but that's whatever. Unless you have good opinions and like Deekin, since SoU is his first appearance.

Isn't the other expansion just all those premium modules Bioware did? Whatever to those.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Cool, I'll probably try SoU and then skip it if I find it boring. Aielund Saga sounds interesting, though going all the way from 1 to 40 sounds like it'd be a pretty enormous module.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Insurrectionist posted:

Cool, I'll probably try SoU and then skip it if I find it boring. Aielund Saga sounds interesting, though going all the way from 1 to 40 sounds like it'd be a pretty enormous module.

It's seven or eight modules that all flow in to each-other. You level reasonably fast in it though, faster than the vanilla campaigns anyway.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Are there any must-have mods for NWN 1 or 2 like fixpacks or unofficial patches or the like?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Playing Torment:EE, does anyone know if stuff I drop persists or disappears like in Baldur's Gate? Some enemy drops at least seem to but I would like a safe storage place for all those random things you kinda think might be important later but are (probably) not.

Vargatron posted:

Easiest way to get through the chess board is to give everyone potions of explosions/wands of fire and before taking one step: pause, tell them to fire at the edge of the area, then unpause. Usually kills everyone, or at least kills the King.

edit:

Parts Kit posted:

How to beat the Chessboard in 3 easy steps.

1. Pause

2. Do this:

3. Unpause:

Now loot.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don't rely on anywhere being a safe storage place in PS:T. The game does not have a shared backbone of areas that you can return to at any time like the BG games do. Anything you drop you will lose on your next one-way trip.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yep I just had Neera use a want of fire a few times and that killed all the guys. They never actually aggro'd me so it worked out.

In retrospect Durlag's Tower was a pretty good dungeon. All the fights felt fair, but challenging, except for the Chess encounter, which I cheesed.

Now I'm loving around with trying to kill the demon that comes out of the dagger in Ulgoth's Beard.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The demon is probably the hardest straight fight in Baldur's Gate, but he has the critical weakness that he can't see through invisibility.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Vargatron posted:

Now I'm loving around with trying to kill the demon that comes out of the dagger in Ulgoth's Beard.
Potions of Mirrored Eyes are your friend.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I'm pretty sure I killed it with Cloudkill instant death somehow, but it was years ago.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Parts Kit posted:

Potions of Mirrored Eyes are your friend.

Be careful though, they only last 10 rounds and can be dispelled. Either is very likely to happen in that fight.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Seems like I need to kill the guys he's using for vessels before I actually kill him. If that's actually what's happening though... It seems like he popped into one of the acolytes once I burned through him the first time around.

Edit: Protection from Evil sounds like it would work too. I have Ajantis so I could theoretically cast that on my party prior to the encounter.

no thanks
Jun 18, 2008
Against Aec'Letec I've had success only sending one character down there, as you only have to pay attention to what protections they have, not the whole party's.

Buff them up with everything you've got, go take out the cultists and ignore the demon. Once they're all dead, go back up to re-buff, then back down to deal with the demon itself (or wait for it to come up, then hit it hard).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Vargatron posted:

In retrospect Durlag's Tower was a pretty good dungeon. All the fights felt fair, but challenging, except for the Chess encounter, which I cheesed.

The chess fight might have been an interesting challenge in a turn-based combat system, but with BG's iffy pathfinding, you're better of just cheesing the whole thing.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
For Aec'Letec you need to use potions of magic shielding, the automatically successful saving throws ones. They protect against his silence, paralyze and death gaze since all 3 allow for a save. Without those, he's just a guy that hits really hard, but you can cut him down to size fairly quickly with hasted, potion of ogre strengthened warriors.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
By far the easiest (and cheesiest) way to handle Aec'Letec is to send one archer with a lot of ammo down to initiate dialogue with the cultist spellcaster lade (to trigger all the fight initiation scripts), have him immediately chug an invisibility potion, and run off to where he can see all the other cultists but can't see Aec'Letec, then you just move him around the margins of the room shooting every cultist to death. They won't move or attack, they're just there to sacrifice themselves respawning the demon if it dies before they do.

Once enough cultists are dead you can inviso a mage, run down the stairs, and instakill the demon from offscreen with Cloudkill.

It's ok if you don't kill every cultist with the archer, as long as you kill enough that the mage can envelop the demon and the remaining cultists in one casting of cloudkill then you're good.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

So what's the deal with the Imoen romance mod from the OP? Just cringe worthy?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vargatron posted:

So what's the deal with the Imoen romance mod from the OP? Just cringe worthy?

Rape and incest.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Arivia posted:

Don't rely on anywhere being a safe storage place in PS:T. The game does not have a shared backbone of areas that you can return to at any time like the BG games do. Anything you drop you will lose on your next one-way trip.
Well gently caress. Thank you!

Suspicious posted:

For Aec'Letec you need to use potions of magic shielding, the automatically successful saving throws ones. They protect against his silence, paralyze and death gaze since all 3 allow for a save. Without those, he's just a guy that hits really hard, but you can cut him down to size fairly quickly with hasted, potion of ogre strengthened warriors.
Haha nice. I'll have to remember that the next time I play.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Skwirl posted:

Rape and incest.

:smith:

Edit: I had forgot that the PC and Imoen were adopted and were raised as brother and sister. Good lord the amount of people out there defending this poo poo...

Vargatron fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 9, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vargatron posted:

Edit: I had forgot that the PC and Imoen were adopted and were raised as brother and sister. Good lord the amount of people out there defending this poo poo...

Also they're actual brother and sister. (Or sister and sister).

I think the woman who did Imoen's voice for the mod (not the one from the main game) got stalked by people on the mod's forum, but I might be thinking of someone else.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
This thread contains info about it from the VA lady:

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/54515-why-nobody-should-get-imoen-romance/

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vargatron posted:

That's also only the really awful crap. There's gratuitous amounts of erotica, drawn-out descriptions of torture, and Imoen being the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON EVAH. I used to be involved in the Baldur's Gate modding community and was one of the mod's original proofreaders before I learned about the mod's reputation.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Isn't the reveal that you are brother and sister in the second game? I mean I'm not defending it at all.

In other news I'm about to power through the rest of BG1 in the next couple of nights and start at BG2. Icewind Dale is also tempting me greatly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

Isn't the reveal that you are brother and sister in the second game? I mean I'm not defending it at all.

In other news I'm about to power through the rest of BG1 in the next couple of nights and start at BG2. Icewind Dale is also tempting me greatly.

Yeah, but it's also a mod for the second game, and I don't remember what point it's made explicit you're both Bhaal spawn, but it's pretty obvious pretty early on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, but it's also a mod for the second game, and I don't remember what point it's made explicit you're both Bhaal spawn, but it's pretty obvious pretty early on.

She's revealed to be Bhaalspawn right before she joins you.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Ah well in other news I killed Aec'Letec pretty handily with the suggestions from the thread, so onto Candlekeep to keep this story going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biscuits and crazy
Oct 10, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It's flat out revealed in Chapter 4, but there's some foreshadowing (She mentions how her "heart made a little dagger," just like in the Mulahey dream in BG1) in Irenicus's Dungeon when she rescues you.