Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

In my 14 game I had a train going to all my outposts carrying ammo, bots, repair packs, spare turrets and walls for fully automated defence maintenance. I haven't bothered in my 15 trains game, since if biters wear down the defences anywhere I can delete the offending nest in a hail of uranium-fuelled fury and it won't come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I'm digging gun turrets + uranium ammo. Especially as the bullets are so cheap because you end up with shtiloads of the crappy unranium

vOv posted:

Is there a babby's guide to nuclear power somewher? I just got it researched and I'm running up against the limit of how much I want to deal with steam.

Does a pretty good job of handholding through each of the major processes in nuclear power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Eh7sz1Pik

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Truga posted:

Laser turrets should be a (very) power hungry version of the flamer turret, IMO. Fire damage, set biters on fire (which will then act as if the ground is burning like with flamer turret). Bonus points if you come up with some sort of death star like mechanism, where multiple lasers can channel into a big one and have increased range and cause bigger fires.

Sounds like Harvest: Massive Encounter.

Truga posted:

Put a massive square of concrete down, make a blueprint out of it, stamp that a few times, make a blueprint out of that, then use that to stamp out concrete.

have a blueprint book: https://pastebin.com/Qgy5uqAX

Also:

You can capture blueprints in the map radar-vision mode. :aaaaa:

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Zetsubou-san posted:

Sounds like Harvest: Massive Encounter.

have a blueprint book: https://pastebin.com/Qgy5uqAX

Also:

You can capture blueprints in the map radar-vision mode. :aaaaa:

Radar vision is loving incredible. With long reach you can even place buildings (but not remove them). It's the god drat best.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816431
Goon server restarted!
Now with mods.
Please enjoy.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

President Ark posted:

keep in mind when designing your labs that there's 6* science packs now so you'll need room for two belts running a different science pack on each side plus a belt on the opposite side of the lab with the last two science packs

*technically there's seven but the seventh is postgame-only

You can run 3 belts on the inside and use underground belts / long arm inserters to do it as well.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
rocket launched in 14:59:38

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

vOv posted:

Is there a babby's guide to nuclear power somewher? I just got it researched and I'm running up against the limit of how much I want to deal with steam.

The only thing I found when I was trying to figure out nuclear was a video that's like half an hour long. I would much rather read something for 5 minutes than watch a video for 30, so here's this for you.

You need to harvest uranium ore first. Electric drillers, when fed sulfuric acid, will do the work. They take a pretty small amount of acid to do it and you can link them together like boilers to share the supply so it's not really a big deal, just know you need to transport the acid to the patch.

10 uranium ore in a centrifuge will yield 1 unit of either uranium-238 (99.3% of the time) or uranium-235 (0.7% of the time). This means it takes ten thousand raw uranium ore to yield just seven pieces of U-235. Once you research the Kovarex Enrichment process you can convert U-238 to U-235 but it requires a starter fund of 40 units of U-235, so you may want to get to saving early. Kovarex massively improves your fuel manufacturing and in the early game you might not be able to operate a large nuclear system, so don't scrap the steam power just yet.

You need both U-238 and U-235 to make fuel cells for reactors in an assembler. It takes 19 units of U-238 and 1 of U-235 to make ten fuel cells. Feed the fuel cells into a reactor. All of the extra U-238 should be saved for when you research Uranium Ammo (which is a yellow tech) because uranium bullets, as discussed earlier, are by far the most powerful munition in the game for turrets.

Reactors have this thing called "neighbor bonus" where, if you have multiple reactors touching each other, you get the combined power of more reactors than if they were separate. The math is easy enough: each reactor counts as 1 reactor (for itself) plus 1 reactor for every other reactor adjacent to them. They have to be fully touching each other -- they can't be offset at all, nor can they be connected by heat pipes, they have to totally touch. Ultimately this means four reactors in a 2x2 square has an effective reactor count of twelve. The optimal layout for reactors is a rectangle 2 wide and n long, to maximize the number of reactors that have a neighbor bonus of 300%. Reactors need to have one side exposed to insert fuel and remove spent fuel cells, unless you plan on feeding them all by hand. The generated heat in a reactor grid is shared among all of the reactors evenly, but each individual reactor needs to be fueled. Ejected fuel cells can be converted back to U-238, once you research the tech.

Each effective reactor count can power four heat exchangers, which are basically boilers, so you need to provide them with water. Connect reactors to exchangers via heat pipes. Exchangers generate steam, which you pipe over to steam turbines (not steam engines) via traditional pipes. Each effective reactor count can power seven turbines. The turbines are what make electricity, so link them with power poles like normal and you're done. Four reactors have an effective reactor count of twelve, which can power 48 heat exchangers that you then link to 84 steam turbines.

Unlike boilers, which will stop eating coal if you're not drawing enough power from the steam engines, nuclear reactors will consume fuel cells all the time even if you're not using all the power. The "easiest" way to manage this is to have the exchangers pump the steam into tanks, and link the tanks via circuits to the inserters that are feeding fuel to the reactors. Figure out what works for you. :)

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 8, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Zetsubou-san posted:

rocket launched in 14:59:38
I feel I'll never manage one of these "speed runs" because I always spend the first 10 hours or so just faffing about.

I spent four hours last night making half of a rainbow science setup, then realized I hosed up and I won't have space to fit it all so I have to tear it down and built it somewhere else. :downs:

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

RyokoTK posted:

Kovarex massively improves your fuel manufacturing and in the early game you might not be able to operate a large nuclear system, so don't scrap the steam power just yet
Yeah, I think this bears emphasis: I had to process 62k uranium ore (three quarters of my first uranium patch, 3-4 hours with 12 centrifuges) just to get the 40 chunks needed to start enrichment, so my advice is to start mining and processing uranium as soon as you've got the tech, research Kovarex right after you get nuclear research done, and only start producing fuel cells once you've got enrichment going.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Kovarex requires yellow tech and basic nuclear only requires blue so there may be a very large gap between those two.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Collateral Damage posted:

I feel I'll never manage one of these "speed runs" because I always spend the first 10 hours or so just faffing about.

I spent four hours last night making half of a rainbow science setup, then realized I hosed up and I won't have space to fit it all so I have to tear it down and built it somewhere else. :downs:

Same here, but with blueprints now available from the start I could see it as more of a fun challenge than a frantic full DIY grind.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

RyokoTK posted:

Kovarex requires yellow tech and basic nuclear only requires blue so there may be a very large gap between those two.

Fair enough. I guess as long as you build a nice big centrifuge farm getting U235 the natural way may be viable.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Use all your excess U-238 to make uranium bullets.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I haven't tried yet, but can't you start mining Uranium as soon as you're making sulfuric acid? I don't think you need the nuclear research first.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Onean posted:

I haven't tried yet, but can't you start mining Uranium as soon as you're making sulfuric acid? I don't think you need the nuclear research first.

That is I think correct, and you probably should do that to get a head start.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

You can mine and stockpile uranium as soon as you have acid. Without enriching you can still produce enough fuel for one or two reactors as long as you're mining enough uranium, or sparing with nuclear. I originally set it up to feed in fuel only when my accumulators ran low. It's inefficient, but the reactor produces so much power I couldn't hope to store it all efficiently anyway.

Kovarex is a bigger science investment than the rocket silo if I recall correctly. It's very much a post-game thing, more suited for building nuclear rockets than reactors.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Tenebrais posted:

Kovarex is a bigger science investment than the rocket silo if I recall correctly. It's very much a post-game thing, more suited for building nuclear rockets than reactors.

This is technically true, but the expensive part of the rocket silo stuff isn't the tech. :v:

On my first 0.15 playthrough I got Kovarex pretty much first when I unlocked yellow tech so I could scrub all of my steam power and go purely nuclear. I was shipping from three different uranium patches but I was powering ten reactors with absolutely no trouble.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Onean posted:

Yeah, but my point was that it's not mining it that takes time but processing it, and you do need nuke research to build centrifuges. As with many things in Factorio, stockpiling uranium when you can't process it isn't particularly advantageous.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It would be pretty cool if there were tiers for nuclear, where you start out with a low efficiency uranium ore fueled atomic pile, advance into the current more efficient refined uranium fueled reactor, then on to fusion reactors where you first have to breed deuterium and tritium using a fission reactor, then ignite the fusion using a massive amount of power. :science:

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

It would be pretty cool if there were tiers for nuclear, where you start out with a low efficiency uranium ore fueled atomic pile, advance into the current more efficient refined uranium fueled reactor, then on to fusion reactors where you first have to breed deuterium and tritium using a fission reactor, then ignite the fusion using a massive amount of power. :science:

Right now I'd be happy to get a PUREX fuel cycle.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

This is technically true, but the expensive part of the rocket silo stuff isn't the tech. :v:

They're pretty close these days. 1000 gold science requires much more circuitry than 1000 guidance computers, for example.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
:eng101: Put a programmable speaker on your uranium line to ding whenever a Good Uranium shows up!
Also in this shot, my "centrifuge"

Bonus: proper* Kovarex procedure [filter inserters take extra U235 when box > 100]

*Yea I know about the redundant beacons, it was set up by a teammate and I'm too lazy to fix it

A couple nuke-friendly numbers:
1) 1 Centrifuge = 4 Mines
2) ∞ Mines = Enough (for now)
3) Reactors should always be in a 2 by X line (2x2 is fine, 2x8 is better, 2x146 is perfectly optimized)
4) With this setup, you should have (16R - 16) Heat Exchangers per Reactor (16 for 2, 112 for 8, and 4656 is perfectly optimized)
5) Steam Turbines are at the easy-to-remember 500 Turbines per 291 Exchangers ratio (that's 7:4 if you're lazy, or 8000 for perfect)
6) 1 Offshore pump per 20 Turbines

Completely Optimized Setup
292 nuclear reactors
400 offshore pumps
4656 Heat exchangers
8000 steam turbines

Now all I need is a good number on pipe fluid/sec capacity. I'm guessing it's the same as Offshore Pumps but :shrug:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 8, 2017

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I had a small 7k uranium patch in one game and it lasted me for I think 8 in-game hours with the initial centrifuge separation into a 4 reactor setup. Fuel lasts forever and I like to switch to nuclear right after I finish blue science (which is after military science). It takes massive amounts of steel and copper but generally I've overbuilt steel in preparation for production science so I have enough to spare.

My factory progression in the last few games has gone:

2 copper / 6-8 iron coal drills
proto-factory of red/green feeding 2 science labs and outputting extra inserters, belts, gears, and circuits to chests
1 line of 24 iron smelters & drills
initial 8 boiler / 16 engine power setup
1 line of 24 copper smelters & drills
belt creation & proper ratio red/green science
Research red belts, military to piercing ammo, steel, then everything that requires only red/green science, especially flight and bot speed
make the section of factory for creation of all inserter types, red belt, splitter, underground
2 more lines of 24 iron smelters & drills, 1 going into a line of 24 steel smelters
add 4-8 more boilers
military science packs
put pumpjacks down and start stockpiling crude in tanks
temporary refinery setup that outputs sulfur to belt
sulfuric acid and small battery factory creation near any uranium ore, start mining it into a chest into a centrifuge
take piercing ammo and clear out any nearby nests
research construction bots, personal roboport, nuclear science
set up factory part of blue science, plus the 5 engine -> electric engine & extra red circuit piece of production science
rush expert material processing, switch over, connect water tubes, place rest of larger refinery, finish blue science
create 20 construction bots & a few 10s of blue circuits using temp chest-fed frame factory
build a tank and scout for materials, clear out biters
get basic railway up if needed for materials
use construction bots to build nuclear plant to replace boilers, tear down boilers
tear down smelters and replace with electric furnaces & switch to rail-fed outpost system
finish production science

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Loopoo posted:

The fact you have 9 lanes there makes me hurt so bad inside, cause I know you're not gonna balance those input belts. You make me sad.

Also the station exits coming down and intersecting with the entrances :suicide:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
A Cool And Good Uranium And Oil Mining Experience, presented by Evilreaver:

1) Limit all boxes to 200 ore
2) Link all boxes with wire
3) Tell station to 'activate when Uranium Ore > 2000 [per car]'
4) Name all your Uranium stations the same name
5) Have your train at Home (until Acid > 2000, Uranium = 0) and Outpost (until U=2000), that's it
6) Plonk down outposts on every Uranium patch you can see
7) Bonus :effort: - attach a Speaker to your biggest miner with a 'total resource count' to global-alert "Dead Mine" when it reaches 0
There's no need for a remote tank of acid, since the pumps+pipes+mines hold a large enough backlog to easily mine enough to get the train to come back

The same procedure with obvious changes works for Oil as well, just 'activate when Oil > 74,000 [per car]'. If there are no active stations, your train will happily loaf around at home until needed. Always pump to/from tanks DIRECTLY. Pump-to-tank has a much higher throughput than pump-to-pipe-to-tank.

Also I noticed last night that when you /color yourself, you turrets and gates inherit your color choice [or rather, the server host's color], which is neat :yayclod:

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Manyorcas posted:

From my own observations (it's been a while since I played with biters on and used laser turrets), laser turrets seem to be smart and already know which biters are about to die from incoming laser fire. I would see all of my lasers suddenly shut down split seconds before the last biter would die while the final few bolts were picking off stragglers. I never really tested it though if anyone is certain this is untrue though.

I believe this is true. I've even noticed my SMG ceasing to fire on 'doomed' bugs, but I haven't empirically tested it. Regardless, since lasers hit so hard they're overkilling some bugs per shot anyway, which means the slow shot and refire wastes DPS anyway.

-------------

Something I've been thinking about : we need a low-tech way to charge our suits/modular armor that isn't solar cells, like a charging station hooked up to the power grid or something. Also a high-tech inductive charger for bots. The idea I like most (for the high-tech thing) is Inductive Plating: Expensive as poo poo (concrete + Bluechip x2 per square), acts like a power pole to power buildings/itself, and power armor/worker bots don't spend their own energy while over inductive tile. They don't recharge; they just don't count down either. Combat bots don't count down either for that matter. 130% walk speed. :allears: If it glowed blue it would look :krad: for high tech bases.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 8, 2017

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Tenebrais posted:

You can mine and stockpile uranium as soon as you have acid. Without enriching you can still produce enough fuel for one or two reactors as long as you're mining enough uranium, or sparing with nuclear. I originally set it up to feed in fuel only when my accumulators ran low. It's inefficient, but the reactor produces so much power I couldn't hope to store it all efficiently anyway.

You could try using the reactor interface to input fuel when all the following conditions are met: no input inventory, fuel burn remaining == 0, temperature < 500 (or whatever reactor temperature gives you 500 degrees at your heat exchangers).

Fray posted:

Right now I'd be happy to get a PUREX fuel cycle.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=45714
Simple so far, but suggestions welcome!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
No one's posted stations yet so here's the ones that I've built. They're for mid-game use and empty into 4 red belts.

Input:

Output:

I tile them stacked on each other like this:

Blueprint Book: https://pastebin.com/GqgXBb48

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Speaking of stations; this mod is cool and good.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

15 hours used to be a really comfortably pondering RSO and power armor game. With production and high tech science I don't know anymore but there's only so many ways to skin a cat and you can figure them all out in your first 20-30 hour game and everything after that you've got blueprints either in game or in your head and iterating on them is fast enough you can still try new experiments.

E. The most important thing to learn is never knock anything down. Multiple instances of bad units will always produce more than one perfectly sperged unit at the expense of rebuilding it 15 times.

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

Firos posted:

Speaking of stations; this mod is cool and good.

Oh my god this mod just changed my life.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I'm still trying to come up with a good blueprint of production and high-tech science. I start out strong with red and green and military and then it all just falls apart into belt hell.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Chev posted:

Fair enough. I guess as long as you build a nice big centrifuge farm getting U235 the natural way may be viable.

From what I've seen somewhere between a dozen and twenty centrifuges should be enough to run four reactors with no extra processing. I'm running two with less centrifuges for 160MW of power.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

zedprime posted:

15 hours used to be a really comfortably pondering RSO and power armor game. With production and high tech science I don't know anymore but there's only so many ways to skin a cat and you can figure them all out in your first 20-30 hour game and everything after that you've got blueprints either in game or in your head and iterating on them is fast enough you can still try new experiments.

E. The most important thing to learn is never knock anything down. Multiple instances of bad units will always produce more than one perfectly sperged unit at the expense of rebuilding it 15 times.

On goon island with messed up small resource patches, it was about 6 hours to purple science, 5.5 and 7 hours to yellow (I started building yellow before realizing I had skipped purple). I am really hoping my 8 hours remaining is enough time to establish a rail station and find mainland sources for oil and iron because plastic is killing me right now, and my two small iron patches are dwindling.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Anyone have a good circuit setup that allows you to gate electricity in a manner that prioritizes specified sections?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to shut off manufacturing when laser turrets are firing, but also allow coal miners to continue unabated. We've had a cascade failure where turrets fire, drain juice which slows coal mining, which in turn slows down down boilers, which then reduces electricity; at this point the spiral is complete and the whole thing fails.

Then bugs attack.

Brainbread
Apr 7, 2008

Trivia posted:

Anyone have a good circuit setup that allows you to gate electricity in a manner that prioritizes specified sections?

Ideally, I'd like to be able to shut off manufacturing when laser turrets are firing, but also allow coal miners to continue unabated. We've had a cascade failure where turrets fire, drain juice which slows coal mining, which in turn slows down down boilers, which then reduces electricity; at this point the spiral is complete and the whole thing fails.

Then bugs attack.

I'm terrible with circuits so I just have my coal mining setup and the inverters for my power plants on a separate grid run by solar with accumulators. It's saved me many many times.

Edit: Steam Storage is also a safe way of ensuring you'll have electricity after the attack as well.

Brainbread fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 8, 2017

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

General idea, put an accumulator on the power network. Switch manufacturing off of it dips below say 90%, switch manufacturing back on after timer expires.

I really need to design a general purpose counter/timer with an easy reset signal.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Trivia posted:

Then bugs attack.

Could probably just tie logic to an accumulator and turn poo poo off if the accumulator hits zero. Or you could just put down accumulators with the laser turrets, scaled with firing speed upgrades. 3 or 4ish per laser turret seems to be generally sufficient.

I hate laser turrets in general though because I'm a retard and won't notice I'm running a power deficit until I've got poo poo running slow enough that I notice at a glance. With laser turrets this is potentially very bad. Maybe I should run a blaring alarm that goes off attached to an idiot proofing accumulator.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I just have a couple of separate steam engines that power the coal miners and nothing else. Those in turn get their coal from burner miners/inserters. So even if the factory suffers a brownout the coal miners will keep working at full speed.