Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Chemmy posted:

When I took delivery of my car in CA and told them not to drill the front bumper they made me sign some forms saying they told me I should do it and also that I took possession of the BMW factory front plate mounting bracket and hardware.

I don't think that would make no front plate legal per those NV rules.

It would fail in court, but in practice police here just see no holes = no plate, and don't keep a catalogue of which manufactures offer brackets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

eyebeem posted:

My Abarth had two sets of holes drilled into the front bumper when I bought it (used).

A travesty.

Speed holes. Drill more, go faster.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 5, 2017

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'd go without a front plate because I dislike the way they look, but while it's only a $20 fine for no front plate, it counts as a moving violation in Massachusetts which = points on your license. One $20 plate violation's worth as much as $500/yr for 3 years in insurance costs. No thanks.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've complained about this before, but front plates aren't required here, dealerships still drill holes in brand new cars and rivet on plate holders on to hold their dealer plate.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
All this plate chat and no "Hide the Plate"? I mean the motorized keyfob one is like $145, but the manual one is like $45:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v34ziGr9XQ0

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Powershift posted:

I've complained about this before, but front plates aren't required here, dealerships still drill holes in brand new cars and rivet on plate holders on to hold their dealer plate.
Sounds like a good way to lose a sale.

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Chemmy posted:

What are people driving where you live that the FD3 is a girl's car?

I was living in west Texas at the time.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Just my 112 liter car.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

wtf

are those four Merlin engines?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Allison V-1710s.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Well we got the engines in but realized after the fact we forgot about fuel tanks."

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

xzzy posted:

"Well we got the engines in but realized after the fact we forgot about fuel tanks."

That little bent nose cone is a fuel tank.

20ft of full throttle :haw:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0J2LrGq5Fo

Freiburger is so happy. It's like a kid in a candy store. :3:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sweet Lotus Esprit.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

The Midniter posted:

Sweet Lotus Esprit.

That is beautiful. Wonder if my 6'2" rear end would fit in one.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Meydey posted:

That is beautiful. Wonder if my 6'2" rear end would fit in one.

Probably. I've run into the owner around town a couple times and he's not much shorter than I am (6'1").

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Wistful of Dollars posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0J2LrGq5Fo

Freiburger is so happy. It's like a kid in a candy store. :3:

That seems like a cool old Mercury, but probably past the point of rescuing

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Powershift posted:

I live in New Jersey(front plate required) and have bought my last two cars in Pennsylvania(no front plate required) and I made it very clear to the dealer that I wouldn't accept the car if they drilled the bumper for a front plate.

For whatever reason this dealership feels like they need to drill these massive holes for the plate in the bumper, like triple the size of any screw that would go through the license plate.

I'm also the "if you put a dealership logo on my car I'm not taking it" guy.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Speed holes. Drill more, go faster.

Blah blah blah you can tell who's been to the track etc etc

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
More like drag holes. Speed holes should be in louver format:

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
That's so pretty. Put them on everything.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Shrapnig posted:

I live in New Jersey(front plate required) and have bought my last two cars in Pennsylvania(no front plate required) and I made it very clear to the dealer that I wouldn't accept the car if they drilled the bumper for a front plate.

For whatever reason this dealership feels like they need to drill these massive holes for the plate in the bumper, like triple the size of any screw that would go through the license plate.

Probably uses those two-part plastic pins to attach the plastic license plate holder to the bumper. The kind that's sorta like a christmas tree clip, but you lock it in place by putting another pin down its center when it's in place. I think they're normally like 5mm in diameter or so.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Shrapnig posted:

My dealer clearly put the sticker on at delivery. It sat on the lot for a while.
After months of socal sun, they took it off at my request.
If you look really, really carefully after it has been cleaned you can tell I bought it from Romero Mazda.
Dammit.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Mcqueen posted:

That's so pretty. Put them on everything.

POST MORE LOUVRES!!!!

http://imgur.com/a/sXrew

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Couldn't get a photo or video because I was driving but I caught up to an ollllllllllllllld Rolls Royce Silver Cloud doing 75mph on the motorway this morning. Dressed in an inky black paintjob that was of course immaculate the guy driving just had a knowing grin on his face, coolest guy on the roads.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Couldn't get a photo or video because I was driving but I caught up to an ollllllllllllllld Rolls Royce Silver Cloud doing 75mph on the motorway this morning. Dressed in an inky black paintjob that was of course immaculate the guy driving just had a knowing grin on his face, coolest guy on the roads.

Driving cars the way they're supposed to be driven, regardless of age or rarity, is always a win :allears:

Take that, pearl clutchers.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I initially thought it was a mk2 Jag as it was miles away and my eyesight isn't as sharp as it once was. I then realised this thing was huge and going at a pace faster than I'm used to seeing mk2s drive at, at once point moving into the fast lane to overtake. I put my foot down to catch up and take a look, the thing was flying along at 75 taking up most of the lane having more road presence than anything else around. Beautiful.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

iospace posted:

Driving cars the way they're supposed to be driven, regardless of age or rarity, is always a win :allears:

There was something from Roadkill where Freiburger was talking about how he didn't want a perfect Road Runner because then he would feel bad about driving it. This is how I feel as well. If I have a perfect show car then I would be worried about it getting scratched or dinged etc.... So I will just buy workable but rough around the edges cars that look over with a clean and polish and not care if something happens because it was never going to win concours awards anyway :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

BigPaddy posted:

So I will just buy workable but rough around the edges cars that look over with a clean and polish and not care if something happens because it was never going to win concours awards anyway. basket cases which I then start pulling apart and never finish.

Yup. :smith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Holy poo poo, Skynet can drift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opsmd5yuBF0

Ken Block(s of code).

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I'm the ground effects on a shoe-sized RC car.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

InitialDave posted:

Holy poo poo, Skynet can drift:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opsmd5yuBF0

Ken Block(s of code).

Labkhana.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

scuz posted:

I'm the ground effects on a shoe-sized RC car.

Scale models get a pass on everything, they're just supposed to look cool.

Steering input seems pretty spazzy, but I guess that comes from the fact that their implementation relies on constant throttle? Clearly they need to take a step back and design the most efficient drift in terms of tire wear and perhaps fuel economy. :colbert:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

xzzy posted:

Scale models get a pass on everything, they're just supposed to look cool.

Steering input seems pretty spazzy, but I guess that comes from the fact that their implementation relies on constant throttle? Clearly they need to take a step back and design the most efficient drift in terms of tire wear and perhaps fuel economy. :colbert:

Probably shaking down the PID code.

Which is a pain in the rear end if you don't know what you're doing.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Aeroastro! I used to computer janitor for them a few years ago. Nice department, strange people.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Stupid question, but how do you clean the rear glass on a car with louvers?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

MetaJew posted:

Most pop off. Older ones might have hinges that you can hold up with a post, the newer ones are held on with a little cap nut. Metal plates with a post/thread attach to your rear glass. Louvers have holes that go over these threads, and then the cap nut holds them on.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MetaJew posted:

Wait until it rains and drive backwards really fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

Wait until it rains and drive backwards really fast.

Side benefit of taking miles off of the odometer.

Safer than propping up the car with a barrier stanchion.