Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
i think 'crazy good' is hyperbole but hes released an album which might have been good in 1996

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG1Crzu5DHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
How is the infrastructure for the forums so hosed that the server clocks are managing to get out of sync

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
well, either ntp is hard or we're approaching the event horizon

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LinYutang posted:

How is the infrastructure for the forums so hosed that the server clocks are managing to get out of sync

yeah i've been noticing some real long 10-second post lockouts and real short 1-minute ninja edit timers

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
So, how is the rewrite going?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
we're already on the new forums, didn't you notice?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

big scary monsters posted:

we're already on the new forums, didn't you notice?

titian is here :coolspot:

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

cis autodrag posted:

its a $100000 car yet lowtax constantly bitches about how he's too broke to run the forums anymore

You seem really upset, my friend. Have a popsicle.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
I'm pretty sure he bought the car many years ago before he became broke anyway.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

LinYutang posted:

because instead of fixing anything lowtax spent a decade going "lol these forums are broken isn't that funny", and then wondered why everything was still broken

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Sweevo posted:

because instead of fixing anything lowtax spent a decade going "lol these forums are bad isn't that funny", and then wondered why everything was still broken

It's funny how it happened with this post.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

rear end posted:

I'm pretty sure he bought the car many years ago before he became broke anyway.

when did the office close? i want to say 2010 because i think that's when he gave away loads of unsold SA march to anyone who came to collect it

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

yeah i've been noticing some real long 10-second post lockouts and real short 1-minute ninja edit timers

poo poo's embarrassing

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc

Sweevo posted:

when did the office close? i want to say 2010 because i think that's when he gave away loads of unsold SA march to anyone who came to collect it

2013-2014 I think? I remember Lowtax making a thread about shutting down the office during the GBS rebirth.

I also remember that he said the first person to come to his office would get some unsold merch and one guy showed up like 6 hours later. That's when the photo of him sleeping on a couch was taken too I believe.

ass
Sep 22, 2011
Young Orc
Lol I just edited my previous post and it showed the "just hosed with this post at x time" immediately. I edited it again and it disappeared.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
Lowtax has dozens of nerds who will run the forums for him for free, or who will at least run service ntpd restart for him

All development on the forums is basically goons making extensions/apps around the horribleness anyway

LinYutang fucked around with this message at 11:50 on May 8, 2017

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

LinYutang posted:

Lowtax has dozens of nerds who will run the forums for him for free, or who will at least run service ntpd restart for him

All development on the forums is basically goons making extensions/apps around the horribleness anyway

I wonder what percentage of goons primarily use one of the goon-written mobile clients.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

setting up an office for an internet forum seems like the sort of thing you only do for quality of life reasons. like, it's good and healthy to leave your home from time to time, and having an actual office facilitates that.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Endless Mike posted:

setting up an office for an internet forum seems like the sort of thing you only do for quality of life reasons. like, it's good and healthy to leave your home from time to time, and having an actual office facilitates that.

we're talking 'strip mall bay on highway Y in cousin-fucker missouri' rent not 'class A office space in SoMa' rent. whole hundreds of american dollars.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

to me the best part is that it was public-facing and in the same building as a lawyer. around here there are office buildings for poo poo that could use an office but dont actually need a storefront and youd think those would be a better fit for a website and forum

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

dying small towns are lousy with vacant strip malls and the rent is cheap.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Its disgusting the way every one of you is treating a proud small business owner. The lifeblood of this great country we call America.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

minivanmegafun posted:

dying small towns are lousy with vacant strip malls and the rent is cheap.

Yea from the pictures of the outside it's this. Must have been a shameful lawyer imo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ultravoices posted:

we're talking 'strip mall bay on highway Y in cousin-fucker missouri' rent not 'class A office space in SoMa' rent. whole hundreds of american dollars.

oh, i'm well aware, i'm just saying that's about the only reason he'd need an office outside his home at all. i *guess* it's probably easier to file it as a business expense if it's a separate office than having a home office, but that's what accountants are for.

i wonder if there's a radium of accountants out there

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

in my experience that's almost all of them

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Endless Mike posted:

oh, i'm well aware, i'm just saying that's about the only reason he'd need an office outside his home at all. i *guess* it's probably easier to file it as a business expense if it's a separate office than having a home office, but that's what accountants are for.

i've known more than a couple of people who were very fixated on putting their run-out-of-a-basement or run-out-of-my-cellphone business into an actual physical place because that is what business looks like.

this is coming perilously close to caring what someone did with my ten dollars from 2004.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ultravoices posted:

i've known more than a couple of people who were very fixated on putting their run-out-of-a-basement or run-out-of-my-cellphone business into an actual physical place because that is what business looks like.

this is coming perilously close to caring what someone did with my ten dollars from 2004.

if you had put those $10 into a low-risk savings bond you would have like $13 today!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

rear end posted:

It's funny how it happened with this post.

lowtax alt spotted

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

theres also something to be said for getting out of the house, about half of our comapny works from home and i just cant imagine that would ever be good. i would live in basketball shorts and old college t shirts for a solid 5 days and my fiance would probably leave me

basically that dilbert comic about telecommuting

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

its a $100000 car yet lowtax constantly bitches about how he's too broke to run the forums anymore

tbf it was probably leased

also why do you caaaare?

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

akadajet posted:

tbf it was probably leased

also why do you caaaare?

also people are bad at planning, they always think the gravy train is going to last forever.

im curious if lowtax put a good amount of money away during the golden years, if he did + invested in index funds he could probably live pretty comfortably

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BiohazrD posted:

i would live in basketball shorts and old college t shirts for a solid 5 days and my fiance would probably leave me

this is basically my life, except i have meetings with clients occasionally, which forces me to bathe and shave and whatnot.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Blue Train posted:

Yea from the pictures of the outside it's this. Must have been a shameful lawyer imo

Better Pick Rick

pram
Jun 10, 2001

BiohazrD posted:

also people are bad at planning, they always think the gravy train is going to last forever.

im curious if lowtax put a good amount of money away during the golden years, if he did + invested in index funds he could probably live pretty comfortably

haha lol no hes living in poverty off the largess of the canadian government

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
didn't lowtax say he wanted an office to run away from his wife's bible study group? something like that

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Suspicious posted:

didn't lowtax say he wanted an office to run away from his wife's bible study group? something like that

ahahahahahahahahahaha

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Suspicious posted:

lol if true

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

uh staying at work to avoid your wife is the most natural thing in the world

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Linguica posted:

uh staying at work to avoid your wife is the most natural thing in the world

it must be fun to be a stereotypical 1950s man

highballs and secretary asses as far as the eye can see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
smoking is super good for you and makes you look swell, declares surgeon general

• Locked thread