Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm gonna need video of the wrigley crowd chanting "gently caress JOE WEST" as asap as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poque posted:

I'm gonna need video of the wrigley crowd chanting "gently caress JOE WEST" as asap as possible

your avatar :eyepop:

Also, somewhat agreed, gently caress Joe West, unless he's loving the Cubs.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm still fine because world series win last season, but god drat this Cubs season is a gross pile.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So what exactly changed for the Cubs? I don't really follow other team's offseason movements.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

iospace posted:

So what exactly changed for the Cubs? I don't really follow other team's offseason movements.

Slumping bats mostly.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

iospace posted:

In terms of personnel, not much. The biggest loss was Dexter "You go, we go" Fowler.

Last year the starting pitching was stellar while the bullpen was dogshit and now they've reversed for the most part.

It seems like a load of sophomore slumps and regression being a bitch right now. Still plenty of time to flip back into a top tier team, of course.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Starting pitching has also been worse, even though the only change was replacing Hammel with Anderson. I think every starter is underperforming from last year. Personnel wise, there weren't any huge changes, except for losing Fowler.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

iospace posted:

They're just underperforming and it's April

They could use an actual fifth starter though. Maybe Butler or mike Montgomery step up

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
We've also played less than 20% of the season so maybe not time to freak out just yet.

(says the Braves fan)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

ZenVulgarity posted:

They're just underperforming and it's April

No it isn't

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

iospace posted:

Last year, the Cubs' starters had an ERA of 2.94. This year it's 4.64.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

And a week in may

They're still ok since most of the NL is terrible

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

beejay posted:

I'm still fine because world series win last season, but god drat this Cubs season is a gross pile.

Cubs fans gonna cubs fan.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Cubs SP last year was improbably good. Now they're regressing a bit and also they got even older than they already were. Didn't they also have incredibly good injury luck last year, aside from Schwarber?

Also, what in the world is going on with Ryan Zimmerman this year? He is hitting the poo poo out of the ball

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Mike_V posted:

Cubs SP last year was improbably good. Now they're regressing a bit and also they got even older than they already were. Didn't they also have incredibly good injury luck last year, aside from Schwarber?

Also, what in the world is going on with Ryan Zimmerman this year? He is hitting the poo poo out of the ball

It is great to see though

I expect him to break sometime soon

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mike_V posted:

Yeah, our injury luck is still pretty good right now since Brett Anderson on the DL is probably addition by subtraction and nobody else has died

I can't wait to see our starting lineup today, guessing Rizz and Baez are both out since they were both ended up gimpy from that game.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Cubs SP last year: 2.96 ERA
Cubs SP this year (so far): 4.64 ERA

The offense is slightly down compared to last season.

In other news, Matt Carpenter is hitting the poo poo out of the ball again after getting off to a slow start for the first week and a half or so. Wainwright has a 15H/9 to go along with his .460 BABIP :stare: He has only made it to the 6th inning once :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Poque posted:

Yeah, our injury luck is still pretty good right now since Brett Anderson on the DL is probably addition by subtraction and nobody else has died

I can't wait to see our starting lineup today, guessing Rizz and Baez are both out since they were both ended up gimpy from that game.

Brett Anderson on the DL is also his natural state

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

iospace posted:

The team is more or less the same as it was last year, but its failed to fire on all cylinders since the beginning of the season. The starting pitching came out of the gate with much diminished velocity and while that's slowly self corrected they're still having issues with early runs and high pitch counts, which means they put the team in the hole early and can't go deep enough to ease off on the pen. The bullpen has been mostly good outside of a few stinkers like Grimm, but it's been too overtaxed of late.

Meanwhile on offense more than half the regular lineup are in hefty slumps (Schwarber, Rizzo, Russell, Contreras, Zobrist), and Heyward is injured after looking like he might have finally taken a step forward offensively. The result is incredibly dumb nonsense like you saw last night, where the Yankees pen combined to throw 9 shutout innings in relief to eventually pick up the win. It's certainly not the worst offensive performance in the NL right now (thanks Giants!) but it's pretty bad.

Also at least early in the season the defense hasn't been there. Infielders seem to be regularly making throwing errors on incredibly routine plays and depending on how Joe configures the OF it bounces between "Two legit gold glove candidates and the Beefy Lad that Could" or "We cloned Matt Adams and had him play the entire OF, let's see what happens" on defense.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Also in the Cubs defense with regards to this weekend, the Yankees are good, or at the very least are real hot right now, so it's not like they just got buried by the Dads or something.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Inspector_666 posted:

But yes, good times.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Just wanted to say I had a great time hanging out with Inspector_666, Pancakes, and RD Mangles this afternoon. Let's do it again sometime. :cheers:

That was super fun and you guys are all good people, both for tolerating my request for a vegetarian-friendly pizza and for not breaking my legs for wearing a Cardinals hat.

Tom Gorman posted:

I was there too!

Watching. And taking notes.

Just in case you were missing out on the audio, when I put my hat on indoors it was to lend gravity to my categorical denouncement of St. Louis style pizza. Yes, we had pizzachat in person. Life is just a rehash of the N/V thread sometimes. Oddly, only Kevlar had heard of this abomination beforehand .

Ice Fist posted:

It was fun meeting you guys. The game was fun although holy poo poo I was freezing the whole game, it wasn't unberable temperature-wise, but it was super drafty in the 200s which made it sort of miserable unless you're a bear of a human being like our friend from NY.

Aren't you from Wisconsin? Saturday was t-shirt weather. Also, welcome to the baseball thread. Stay a while, you've got god on your side this year.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

Kyle Seager's go ahead HR hit the cock and balls of the one lone Ranger fan in Safeco:

https://mobile.twitter.com/LookoutLanding/status/861384438512406530

Baseball is art.

Kyle Seager is a noted Ranger killer, and sometimes that is almost literal. If I didn't know better I'd say that was intentional. Here's another view.

https://gfycat.com/infamousickyasiaticwildass

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

Also in the Cubs defense with regards to this weekend, the Yankees are good, or at the very least are real hot right now, so it's not like they just got buried by the Dads or something.

I'm really only still salty about game one. Hendricks put together another strong (if brief) start, the bullpen was phenomenal even shorthanded as it was, and all the Cubs needed was for Rondon to remember how to close for one miserable inning. So of course he blows it in the most heartbreaking way possible. :smith:

At least today's game has a ~90% chance of being rained out. Cubs could really use a break after yesterday.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Pancakes posted:

Aren't you from Wisconsin? Saturday was t-shirt weather. Also, welcome to the baseball thread. Stay a while, you've got god on your side this year.

I actually have this thread bookmarked for now. I'm spending too much of my expendable income this year on baseball not to at least follow some threads. I'll be in NY to watch God fight the Yankees in early July. If the Yankees sweep the Brewers then it will be definitive proof that the Yankees are literally the devil.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Inspector_666 posted:

And two of the three games were basically coin flips, both of which ended in the Yankees' favor. It's been frustrating as hell because the Cubs aren't straight-up murdering teams like last season, but they've been able to make just about every game competitive at the very least. The NL Central is full of dogshit teams, so I imagine the Cubs will be able to rise to the top by the time the season is over. Then in the postseason, anything can happen.

Pancakes posted:

That was super fun and you guys are all good people, both for tolerating my request for a vegetarian-friendly pizza and for not breaking my legs for wearing a Cardinals hat.

Hot pizza take: I thought the ricotta/mushroom/garlic pizza was better than the pepperoni/sausage one. It might also be because I love mushrooms and Poque hates them so I rarely ever get a chance to eat a pizza with them.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Hot pizza take: I thought the ricotta/mushroom/garlic pizza was better than the pepperoni/sausage one. It might also be because I love mushrooms and Poque hates them so I rarely ever get a chance to eat a pizza with them.

It's sad that he's such a downer when it comes to pizza. He's usually such a fungi.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ice Fist posted:

I actually have this thread bookmarked for now. I'm spending too much of my expendable income this year on baseball not to at least follow some threads. I'll be in NY to watch God fight the Yankees in early July. If the Yankees sweep the Brewers then it will be definitive proof that the Yankees are literally the devil.

I was in Boston a couple years back for the series where the Brewers swept the Sox in their home opener. It was hilarious watching locals make excuses about the 40 degree whether being "too cold" and leaving in the 6th inning. Hopefully you will feel the same joy I did.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

It's sad that he's such a downer when it comes to pizza. He's usually such a fungi.

Die.

(I laughed)

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

cis autodrag posted:

I was in Boston a couple years back for the series where the Brewers swept the Sox in their home opener. It was hilarious watching locals make excuses about the 40 degree whether being "too cold" and leaving in the 6th inning. Hopefully you will feel the same joy I did.

I don't know about the rest of Yankees fans, but it would be enough to watch Inspector get progressively more angry as the week goes on. That'd be the real joy I'd feel.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If you're not cheering for the Yankees do not sit in the bleachers that's about all the advice I have for being a visitor at Yankee Stadium. It's a literal cess pool.

Rest of the park seems a lot nicer.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I sat in the bleachers once just for the experience. I wouldn't do it again. Mainly due to having to sit on a bench without a seat back. That destroyed my back.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Carlos Martinez belongs in Miami in the 1980s

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

the cubs' 'problem' is that it is may loving 8th.

seriously, we've got a long way to go. there's nothing wrong that a few minor adjustments, ousting anderson, and time won't fix.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

does davecrazy still post here, he must be thrilled with the Harvey news

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Just stopping by to say that Yonder Alonso is cool and very good at baseball these days and I can't wait to see what Oakland gets for him in July.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm going to my first Phillies game in forever. What massively overpriced foodstuff should I buy?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm going to my first Phillies game in forever. What massively overpriced foodstuff should I buy?

get a good old fashioned hot dog sandwhich with its only topping; mustard

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Obviously a cheese steak.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Pancakes posted:

Boo this man!

I didn't know Paul Rudd was a baseball player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
The Jays have added Russell Martin to the 10 day DL with a shoulder injury. I forgot how lucky they had been with injuries the last few years, I guess this is it all just evening out. Sucks for it to happen all at once though, especially when they've been struggling for wins

• Locked thread