Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Just don't get it on PS4 because the controls are floaty on that and it totally feels like Bioshock 1 at the moment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Wildtortilla posted:

I'm not expecting to be a military badass. Something about the combat design in the Bioshock games has always felt weird to me.

I just realized though that Prey wasn't made by the Bioshock folks. It was made by the Dishonored folks and that game felt great to me.

you'll be able to smash poo poo reliably with your work wrench and although there's no real zoom or aim with guns, it's mainly a pistol/shotgun for a lot of the time and they work well against enemies (smaller common baddies take like 3 or 4 wrench smashes to kill; the later "main" enemies take a few shots with bullets to put down but you'll also likely have turret/Psi-powers/object throws/etc to help you as well. generally combat is very frantic for me since enemies are fast but the Combat Focus ability will help you aim a lot, too--as will the freezing power of your trusty GLOO Gun which you'll use for loving everything.

It's not Dishonored, or even Bioshock Infinite--you're not a super agile ninja man with combat savvy motions and quick hands, but I never felt like a klutz or an incapable goober. The input for the PS4 is much better than it was in the demo (it's honestly fine.) Honestly, "combat" is so varied that you'll want to come up with more options than your guns to deal with enemies.

DLC Inc fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 8, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

System Shock comparisons don't come from horror elements, 'horror' wasn't a defining System Shock characteristic. It comes from the nature of level design, the variety of approaches to combat, the interactions between gameplay systems, the depth in which RPG elements are used in the game. The sci-fi space station setting also helps. I too see things inspired or filtered through Bioshock in this game but Bioshock mainstreamed the System Shock formula to a point where it stopped mattering and felt like a corridor shooter with a couple of systems thrown in for variety while Prey takes it back to its roots.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Thoughtless posted:

I'm really not sure why people are comparing this to System Shock. I mean, those games had a lot of horror elements, and this really doesn't.

That said it's a much better Bioshock game than Bioshock Infinite.

edit: Maybe it's just me, other people seem to think this is scary.

Skill system - neuromods are straight up cybermodules from System Shock 2 or runes from Dishonored, Bioshock had no such thing.
Horror elements are still there in Prey, and it's not the mimics jumping you.
Limited inventory space shared for all things, expanded by spending skill points, also System Shock 2.
Recycling items to produce other items? Also System Shock 2, although it just had nanites instead of 4 materials.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

One of the biggest changes compared to the System/Bioshock games is that they removed all of the body horror that was an integral part of it's predecessors. Having chopped up and cyberized/horribly mutated and disfigured human enemies was a big part of what made the Shocks creepy, and abstracting it into ghost monsters kind of removes a lot of that.
Body Horror was all Bioshock had and it was the least unsettling iteration. Prey and SS2 both have enemies who are both conscious and being mind controlled. That's the horror of 'shock.

Pretty sure it's intimated that the telepaths were grown in a lab, as well.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Palpek posted:

System Shock comparisons don't come from horror elements, 'horror' wasn't a defining System Shock characteristic. It comes from the nature of level design, the variety of approaches to combat, the interactions between gameplay systems, the depth in which RPG elements are used in the game. The sci-fi space station setting also helps. I too see things inspired or filtered through Bioshock in this game but Bioshock mainstreamed the System Shock formula to a point where it stopped mattering and felt like a corridor shooter with a couple of systems thrown in for variety while Prey takes it back to its roots.

I mean, yeah System Shock is defined by those kinds of mechanical improvements, but the theme of the game was still very much based in horror.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Thoughtless posted:

I'm really not sure why people are comparing this to System Shock. I mean, those games had a lot of horror elements, and this really doesn't.

That said it's a much better Bioshock game than Bioshock Infinite.

edit: Maybe it's just me, other people seem to think this is scary.

I don't even know where to begin.
  • first person RPG-lite with skill progression broadly divided into engineering, shooting and psi powers
  • ruined space station where bad thing happened
  • finding corpses equipped with audiologs where a future corpse says "gently caress, I hope all these weird events don't mean bad thing is about to happen"
  • in post-bad thing world, there are only corrupted robots and mutated humans, even though all these assholes keep leaving the protagonist voicemails about how alive they are
  • pre-bad thing opening sequence
  • both the corrupted robots and mutated humans keep saying spooky things in eerie voices to anyone who will listen
  • AIs who don't get along
  • all these goddamn electric and radioactive hazards
  • hoverlifts
  • six-degrees-of-freedom segments
  • hauling mountains of junk around just in case
  • available weapons being a combination of blunt trauma, modern firearms and more fanciful sci-fi weaponry
  • main story primarily revolving around the protagonist's ever-changing feelings of "I hope something even more horrible doesn't happen to this station", "I hope something even more horrible happens to this station" and "I hope something this horrible doesn't happen to Earth"
  • LOOKING GLASS

Yeah I don't think Prey is particularly scary either. Mimics mostly just made me feel sorry for them. They were small and puny and spent most of their lives as rolls of toilet paper, and their natural forms just look like crustaceans caught in an environmental disaster. I'm sorry little crab, you already suffered so much because of man's hubris. This wrench is all I have for easing your oily suffering.

Mind you, that one jump scare is absolutely horrible.

Tunahead fucked around with this message at 16:26 on May 8, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I mean, yeah System Shock is defined by those kinds of mechanical improvements, but the theme of the game was still very much based in horror.
Yes, SS2 was a horror game as was Resident Evil or Silent Hill. What makes SS2 different from those titles is a number of gameplay elements and going 'why do people compare Prey to SS2 when it's not horror?' when Prey uses all those elements only exchanging horror for a tense atmosphere is missing the point.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just wanna drop in and say that I applaud Arkane for making the audio logs like SS2 and have them be for the most part actually logical, in both their content and where they're found. One of the dumbest parts of Bioshock was finding random peoples monologues about super secret or important things in a bathroom or some other nonsensical location.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

If that guy who made this is still reading the thread, any chance of a PS4 patch because it is ruining what I gather is a good game.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How many Jump Scares are there? I only had The one with the screen calibration and the one when using the lobby elevator

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just wanna drop in and say that I applaud Arkane for making the audio logs like SS2 and have them be for the most part actually logical, in both their content and where they're found. One of the dumbest parts of Bioshock was finding random peoples monologues about super secret or important things in a bathroom or some other nonsensical location.
also they keep playing should you happen to open the inventory/neuromod menu to fiddle around with stuff

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 8, 2017

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Palpek posted:

Yes, SS2 was a horror game as was Resident Evil or Silent Hill. What makes SS2 different from those titles is a number of gameplay elements and going 'why do people compare Prey to SS2 when it's not horror?' when Prey uses all those elements only exchanging horror for a tense atmosphere is missing the point.

Oh I'm not saying that it isn't a spiritual sequel, it absolutely is. I was just noting that the people saying it was literally SS3 are missing a lot of the differences in the themes of the games. Aside from that mechanically it's total System Shock, yeah.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Lakbay posted:

How many Jump Scares are there? I only had The one with the screen calibration and the one when using the lobby elevator
I don't know if everybody gets that but there's this one fabricator with an item stuck in it that you can't directly pick up and when you turn it on to get it it turns into a mimic.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Basically I keep getting jump scared by mimics when they're usable items because I'm focused on picking them up.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I liked the ones that were ordinary everyday life from the point of view of the person recording the audio log but something horrible was actually going on, particularly "why are there this many/few of this item, goddamn interns" and "what the hell is Morgan Yu's problem". The mimic Typhons are a really good concept for this kind of setting because it makes a lot more sense for people to record audiologs about their imminent doom when they don't see it coming. That's the other major problem with audiologs. Too much "dear diary, I am currently being vivisected by a man who peculiarly has no head but three faces".

Palpek posted:

I don't know if everybody gets that but there's this one fabricator with an item stuck in it that you can't directly pick up and when you turn it on to get it it turns into a mimic.

I saw it coming because I scanned it first. :smug:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That's a good point. I've always loved audio-logs and the such in games, which helps build up the world. But often it's just kinda lazy and stupid, how they're baked in the game. Left4Dead comes to mind, where people apparently had arguments with eachother by writing on the walls. The information was cool and all, but the context stupid.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I mean. I never particularly found System Shock 1 scary either, gross yes but not scary and the horror of System Shock 2 is more down to the excellent sound design of The Many and robots and that enemies could respawn and sneak up behind you at a moments notice. Even then, the music of System Shock 2 didn't always fit a scary atmosphere so horror was just a small part of System Shock 2. I'd say Prey is more of a horror game than System Shock 1 was and it still has its moments. Especially if you don't like needles going in eyes.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Tunahead posted:

I saw it coming because I scanned it first. :smug:

I actually wish the devs didn't put in a mimic scanner because it removes a lot of the tension the game was marketed for

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

If it's any consolation, I got a small surprise when I immediately turned the machine on without realizing that immediately opens the chamber even before you choose an item.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL at the people saying "System Shock 2 was scary and this isn't!"

Uh you were 9-13 when you played SS2 and it was probably the scariest pixelated zombie robot boob you had ever seen!

Now we're all basically grown adults, of course it's different!

I haven't been this immersed in a game in years. I was clumsily picking my way through the Arboretum and trundled into a nest of mimics in a pond. The last one scurried towards a waterfall and I kept towards it, swinging my wrench like Mjollnir...

and suddenly I was falling 20 feet into a sub-basement... this game is amazing.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Having played the original System Shock as well as SS2 there's some very clear thematic connections and references to those games that feel like homages to those of us who loved those games.

I'll mention the things not already addressed-

-Talos I is basically Citadel Space Station. The only thing missing was SHODAN.
The scope and nature of the station is identical. It's owned by a supernational private company engaging in ethically questionable transhumanist research that could put the Earth at risk. Alex Yu rivals Edward Diego in his lust for power and overall mental stability.
-Arbouretum - this is a hybrid :v: between the SS1 Bridge, Executive level and groves with the SS2 Crew and Recreation levels. You even get similar set pieces and audio logs to recreate the feelings you got in both games when you visited these levels.
-0451 access code.
-Trapped on the station with busted escape pods.
-Power station: You had to enter the reactor core and enter a special code you pieced together from CPU nodes on every level of Citadel station to activate the self destruct in SS1. Similarly your quest to destroy Talos is also station spanning and you also entered the core to arm the auto destruct.
-Getting helped by a mysterious entity Only to discover they're really an AI. January is basically SHODAN and Rebecca Lansing
-Psychotronics perfectly captures the terrifying nature of the sorts of research going on just as the cybernetic manipulation and genetics research of Citadel did in SS1
-Poltergeists are similar to invisible mutants in SS1
-Typhon phantoms Are just like cyborgs and annelid hybrids. The dead are repurposed and changed into your enemies while retaining some of their original identities. It's shocking and makes you feel sick knowing what you're killing was once a living human. The audio logs help you realize this. SHODAN repurposed all the healing chambers to turn anyone who died into a cyborg. The Annelid works slowly burrowed their way into your brain and seized control of you while you're still conscious and trying to tell people to run and get away.

If you look closely at the Talos layout, it's organized similar to Citadel. But was made more easier to travel.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

0451 is an institution at this point. It's appeared in so many games.

I... think Thief was the first.

Edit: Oop, nope, it was the first System Shock.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Looking Glass message you leave for yourself is pretty clearly meant to echo SS2's big reveal, visually at least.

SS2's "the elevator's stuck, most definitely just a mechanical error" is revisited in Prey just as it was in Dead Space.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
0451 goes all the way back to at least system shock 1, its a ray bradbury reference (obviously)

also I will not be surprised to see this game get lots of 7/10. Game reviewers are idiots and there's not many big set pieces or a single QTE to be found. Maybe we'll get another game like this in another 18 years.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Malek posted:

How you do it: Use the stun gun on mind controlled guys before they pop

Mindjack from a distance.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Wow, this game will require at minimum three playthroughs if you are achievement hunting. One run for human powers only, one run for typhon only, and finally no powers at all from either branch. Four runs is more realistic as the first playthrough will be a mish-mash of skill points.

HapXL
Mar 16, 2005

As others have pointed out it has the typical overplayed jump scares that you would expect. If you go into the game expecting them though it takes some of the startle out of it. It has some solid sound spikes too but generally you will get the "enemies are near" music for everything but mimics and even those have the music when they aren't hiding as an object.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Anti-Hero posted:

Wow, this game will require at minimum three playthroughs if you are achievement hunting. One run for human powers only, one run for typhon only, and finally no powers at all from either branch. Four runs is more realistic as the first playthrough will be a mish-mash of skill points.

You can probably trim some of that with save scumming.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Anti-Hero posted:

No neuromods at all sounds super painful, I guess you could do it on easy

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Basic Chunnel posted:

The Looking Glass message you leave for yourself is pretty clearly meant to echo SS2's big reveal, visually at least.

SS2's "the elevator's stuck, most definitely just a mechanical error" is revisited in Prey just as it was in Dead Space.

Oh and how could I forget. The looking glass itself is a reference to Looking glass studios- the makers of system shock and thief.

Through multiple circumstances right up to the early game you are going "through the looking glass" beyond what they developed in the original games into a new generation. Also if you look in the looking glass the grid resembles Cyberspace.

Through the looking glass was also the name of a Fan site for system shock and Thief.

Edit: this is a really good loving game. You're breaking the 4th wall simultaneously in the game and then outside the game as the player.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I do wish that there were more stories going on in parallel. Prey establishes that there are survivors, whereas part of SS2's horror is the slow realization that despite all the post-disaster logs, there's essentially no one alive onboard. And yet there are vanishingly few post-disaster logs or emails in Prey, even of people who ultimately died. One of the few things I really liked about Dead Space is that there are a few folks who are out there actively trying to survive during the game, though they meet grisly fates. Maybe that sort of thing wouldn't work with such a non-linear environment.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
How long does it take for an unconscious human to wake up?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
This game is great but it has actively terrible sound mixing. The noise propagation is all sorts of hosed up, conversations are going on in another room and they seem to get muffled/unmuffled or louder/softer completely arbitrarily.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mymla posted:

How long does it take for an unconscious human to wake up?

I'm pretty sure they disappear (go to the cargo bay with the other survivors) when you exit the map.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Do parts of the enviroment change or am I going crazy? I went through the lobby pack ratting and remember going through the bathrooms. I leave and go do the game and my next visit after doing some story I find one of the bathrooms gloo'ed up. I go in, find a dead person and his gloo gun, but then there were towels scattered around as I (thought) I had left them.

Also can someone give me some advice on how to deal with a few types of baddies? The black fire/electircal phantoms beat the poo poo out of me. It seems like even getting near them hurts or something. Is there an easier way to deal with those big floating crystal types you find outside and in Fabrication? I spent like 5 minutes slowly zapping it from cover with a stun gun, it feels like I should have done something different.

also: gently caress touch calibrations. Does that glass always break? cause I jumped and fired like a little girl but afterwards noticed that it came online and now I'm wondering if I missed a secret like the coffee break one.

edit: Trauma spoiler: What is written on the wall where the mind controlled guy is? I don't want to open the door but it looks like a keycode, but Devris (which is what I think is written on the wall above it) door is locked by keycard.

Broose fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 8, 2017

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
An upgraded pistol with the security neuromods takes down those big things surprisingly quickly, though you'll blow through a lot of pistol ammo.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
A minor point, but I'm glad there are so many actual audio logs in this game. Dead Space 1 and 2 both had a good mix of text logs and audio logs, then in 3 they got a bit lazy and only had a handful of audio logs while the vast majority were text. I don't know if it was because they didn't have enough voice actors since it seemed like a troubled development in a lot of ways, but it made everything feel less personal.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Just finished it after ~21 hours. Woof.

I went for the self destruct option and then I used the escape pod to peace out, leaving my ex and the weird doc behind. I didn't really like the last half hour or so, the military robots were really annoying.

Loved the after credits stuff. It will really piss some people off but it worked for me. They all judged me to be worthy and I decided to take their hand.

Really want to start over now. I didn't use any typhon powers in this playthrough, can't wait to go hogwild with all the alien powers. I have also skipped a bunch of sidequests.

GOTY for me, exploring has never been so much fun, most of the sequence breaking pays off in really cool ways and I loved how all the little side stories were written. Following the footsteps of the D&D group was really cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n4
Jul 26, 2001

Poor Chu-Chu : (
I love the audiolog of the D&D game where the guy interjects his name is STABFELLOW.

Also love that option to push the fat guy on the question that doesn't mention a fat guy.