Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

People are idiots and there's a niche for everything even vaguely appearing competitive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Is that how the guy with 1200 platinums makes a living?
I don't know any job that would give you that amount of free time to get 1200 platinums.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean it's a pretty popular game right now.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
My favorite paying for cheevos thing was that since version of Fight Night had a trophy for becoming heavy weight champion of online. Thing is, just like with real boxing, you could only become champion by degrading the current champion. This lead to people becoming champion and charging people real money for the chance to fight them. Not even a gauranteed cheevo, just a chance at one.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Help Im Alive posted:

I got a message on PS4 from someone today and apparently people paying for platinum trophies is a dumb thing I never knew existed

Why
*looks at the profiles of people competing for the highest Steam user level*

I don't know, I really don't know.

But seriously that top guy only ever launched 71 of his 4,655 games :wtc:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Over 5,300 hours of CS:GO :stare:

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Jay Rust posted:

Over 5,300 hours of CS:GO :stare:

Not as shocking as people who have beat persona 5 already imho.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's been out for over a month

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

oddium posted:

who's guts

the cyberdemon

because he's huge, and therefore must have huge guts

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/861596714221916161

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What am I not recognising?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

it's Vanquish

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

based on internet zeitgeist surrounding sega over the past couple weeks with bayonetta pc i'm going to say vanquish pc?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
2017 is the current year

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Macarius Wrench posted:

Not as shocking as people who have beat persona 5 already imho.

70 hours over the course of almost forty days is nothing lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Vanquish on PC holy poo poo it might actually be real :eyepop:

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Sakurazuka posted:

It's been out for over a month

Witcher 3 has been out for 2 years and i only just started a quest called final preperations and apparently that's only 2 thirds of the way through :cry:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

2017 is the current year

interesting if true

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Please do Anarchy Reigns next

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dr Cheeto posted:

2017 is the current year

It's May and I still write 2016 whenever I have to write the date :saddowns:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I said come in! posted:

I've seen that! That was a fun documentary.

Balance it out with the depressing loneliness of the people in Chasing Ghosts.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

70 hours over the course of almost forty days is nothing lmao

Its quite a large portion of time to dedicate to one thing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Palpek posted:

Real gamers know that the true gaming hardcore is having impossible top scores in the most casual games. Game on Wolf and Eggs grandmasters.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Sony keeps bugging me about my PS+ sub running out, and I'm not seeing any reason at all to continue with it since I'm done playing Titanfall 2. I wish the free games with plus were better, but I understand why they're not. I've played all the free PS3 games I got through plus so I guess I'm done with it.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

MMF Freeway posted:

I played Prey all weekend and it really does own. Like I've seen people saying that it looks a bit generic, which I guess I can see even though I like the clean scifi look. But the gameplay and level design is incredibly tight, in typical arkane fashion, with really sprawling objectives that I wasn't expecting to be so involved. If you are a fan of this genre its a must play imo.

I wish I had more time to sink into Prey, because it's all I can think about. It's what I was hoping Deus Ex was going to be, but this blows it out of the water. It helps that I'm a sucker for unreliable narrators, because this game has them in spades. I can't trust myself, I can't trust my brother, I can't trust the robot with my voice, I can't trust the coffee cups. I trust the wrench and my ever-expanding toolkit. Looking over the trophy list shows me that there's a lot of replay value to be found in play-throughs (no powers, only powers of one type, save all humans, kill all humans) but I'm glad I didn't look at them until I had locked myself out of most of them. No reason to play a game for the first time and not use all the toys they give you, and unlike most games with stealth elements it doesn't give you piles of weapons you'll never use for fear of alerting people.

I'm also going to second the surprise with the side quests. They appear naturally and might take you a little out of the way, but if you have to return to an area there's usually more than one thing to do there. I also like the recycle/fabricate/upgrade loop they have in place, because it balances the constant drain on resources by giving you what's effectively experience and currency in the form of junk. Normal might be a bit too easy if only because you can churn out health, ammo, and upgrades (weapon or skill) without a hard limit. I imagine the harder difficulties put limits on licenses but for now it's fun to experiment without penalty.

My favorite de facto lockpick is the Recycler Charge, but I couldn't find the schematic for it no matter how much I scoured that guy's office. I'm hoping to run into one somewhere down the road; it's not like I'm hurting for supplies.

Sorry for gushing, but I really like and wish to talk about the game without going to the dedicated thread where the spoilers are more rampant.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Harrow posted:

Vanquish on PC holy poo poo it might actually be real :eyepop:

Hail Satan.

Vanquish with m+kb is going to be so good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm currently playing through Dark Forces and I have Jedi Knight down in the 'J' section. I also just bought KotOR 1 and 2 and Shadows of the Empire from the GOG sale.

A ton of the games on my alphabetical backlog are inconsistently named so I won't have to play like seven Star Wars games in a row.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I was looking into my backlog of games I own but never played and tried LA Noire this weekend and its not very good.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Control Volume posted:

I was looking into my backlog of games I own but never played and tried LA Noire this weekend and its not very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsKi5ZvB64U

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't like it when bosses have insta-kill moves

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

"umm, err, the sky is purple, right now"

[lie, the wrong choice] Don't lie to me Mr. Brown, you helped the government agency that poisoned our air and changed the sky's color and I have proof
[doubt, the right choice] If you don't come clean I'm going to break your arm and tell your cell mate you molested a child

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Dead Island 2 "Still Alive", absolutely no one cares

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Control Volume posted:

That would be accurate.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought it was ok

It'd be interesting if there was an Ace Attorney game that played like that (without the shootouts)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
sega will tease vanquish multiple times before they actually let me buy it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

LA Noire is a good example of a game that had a lot of potential in its core gameplay but squandered it with bad writing, unnecessary open world nonsense and poorly done action, and a lack of focus on crafting interesting well put together mysteries for the player to solve. The handful of cases that are good work really really well so it's unfortunate about the rest of the game.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i got republic commando for two bucks and popping off droid heads and blowing up geonosians while your squad snipes stuff is more fun than any part of prey 06

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Regy Rusty posted:

LA Noire is a good example of a game that had a lot of potential in its core gameplay but squandered it with bad writing, unnecessary open world nonsense and poorly done action, and a lack of focus on crafting interesting well put together mysteries for the player to solve. The handful of cases that are good work really really well so it's unfortunate about the rest of the game.

Sherlock crime and punishment is much better

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Macarius Wrench posted:

Its quite a large portion of time to dedicate to one thing

You should see the 3DS thread near the end of December

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlH5PFPB-Sw&t=68s

Real hurthling! posted:

Giant bomb says that prey 2017 will delete prey 2006 if purchased on steam and 2006 is not available to redownload if it happens to you

an actual dog posted:

What's happening is that Prey (2017) is using the folder "Prey", which is the same folder Prey (2006) used back when it was available on Steam. You can't buy 2006 on Steam anymore and no one thought to check. Brutal.

Palpek posted:

I understand that it would overwrite it on your PC but normally you can download games that you bought on Steam even if they're not available for purchase anymore so that's really weird.
it mimics it

• Locked thread