Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
P1010024 by Dan Packer, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

There's been a family of fairy wrens that's lived in my parent's garden for years now. I always try and get some shots whenever I visit.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I haven't done any birding in about 3 months. Here's a bunch from this morning

Tree Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

American Robin by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Canada Geese by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Song Sparrow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Black-capped Chickadee by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

White-crowned Sparrow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Marsh Wren by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Northern Shovelers by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Blue-winged Teal by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
/\/\/\ All spectacular. Fantastic work!

A trio of ducks few past, a pair of Northern Shovellers and a male Mallard trying to get in on the action.
Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 35 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 36 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Wetland Behind NAIT BRI 37 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS
Only a few weeks into this but having a blast with my P900. Instagram instead of Flickr because I'm so pro!

Still haven't captured any birdshit :(

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I don't usually shoot birds but if you're just going to stand there and let me take a picture instead of trying to bite my junk or poo poo on me then okay, thanks!

Canadian Hate Turkey

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I'm going on a boat tour tomorrow morning in an area that's supposed to have gobs of bald eagles. My longest lens is 70-200 so I decided to do it right and rent the Tamron 150-600, and I've been playing with it for the past few days. Jesus is it fun.

IMG_6090 by elymt, on Flickr

IMG_6205 by elymt, on Flickr

IMG_6168 by elymt, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

eeenmachine posted:

Still haven't captured any birdshit :(

I took a burst of shots of a White-Crowned Sparrow perched between two reeds with its legs splayed out. As soon as I ended the burst, it squeezed out a huge poo poo.

:(

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

jackpot posted:

I'm going on a boat tour tomorrow morning in an area that's supposed to have gobs of bald eagles. My longest lens is 70-200 so I decided to do it right and rent the Tamron 150-600, and I've been playing with it for the past few days. Jesus is it fun.
Renting lenses should be illegal under the same laws other addictive substances are. I used to be the happy owner of a Canon 100-400. I then rented a 500mm f4 for trip to Finland. After that I never felt the same love for the 100-400. I now own a (used) 500mm and sold the 100-400.

You'll never feel the same attachment to your 70-200 as you did before.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:50 on May 10, 2017

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Pablo Bluth posted:

Renting lenses should be illegal under the same laws other addictive substances are. I used to be the happy owner of a Canon 100-400. I then rented a 500mm f4 for trip to Finland. After that I never felt the same love for the 100-400. I now own a (used) 500mm and sold the 100-400.

You'll never feel the same attachment to your 70-200 as you did before.

Same with trying out high-end binoculars or spotting scopes. Do it at your own risk.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Pablo Bluth posted:

There was a guy with us on the boat casually hauling around a Nikon 600/f4. Looking into the thing was like staring down the barrel of a tank.

As much fun as a superlong prime would be, I think I'd have a hard time with it. It took me the first half of the boat ride to figure out that hey, shooting 600mm at something that's only 100 feet away and moving fast is really, really difficult. I learned to back way off to like 400mm, figuring it's better to lose a tiny amount of detail than crop out a goddamn wing, which happened too many times.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

There's a guy that runs a two-hour tour up the James River on his pontoon boat - he caters it to birdwatchers and photographers. There are about ten bald eagle nests along that stretch of the river and the dude knows every one of them backward and forward - how many chicks, which one's been taken over how many times, whatever you want to know. What I didn't expect was that for each bird we saw he'd toss out a fish, which in most cases initiated a dive. Which...I would worry if the birds landed on his drat shoulder or something, but they seemed to just be enjoying a free meal, I don't know what the ethics are on feeding wild birds.

I rented a Tamron 150-600 and it was a ton of fun, I want one. Hard to use at 600 (no surprise) but nice as hell to have the option, especially being hand-holdable.

IMG_6769 by elymt, on Flickr

IMG_6679 by elymt, on Flickr

IMG_6473 by elymt, on Flickr

IMG_6899 by elymt, on Flickr

IMG_6903 by elymt, on Flickr

IMG_6876 by elymt, on Flickr

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

jackpot posted:

There's a guy that runs a two-hour tour up the James River on his pontoon boat - he caters it to birdwatchers and photographers. There are about ten bald eagle nests along that stretch of the river and the dude knows every one of them backward and forward - how many chicks, which one's been taken over how many times, whatever you want to know. What I didn't expect was that for each bird we saw he'd toss out a fish, which in most cases initiated a dive. Which...I would worry if the birds landed on his drat shoulder or something, but they seemed to just be enjoying a free meal, I don't know what the ethics are on feeding wild birds.

I don't know about legalities but in the birding/bird photographer community it is generally frowned upon.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Feeding wild animals in general is pretty frowned upon.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Different people have different opinions.

For example you can do boat trips to photograph white tailed eagles off Norway where they do the same thing - as far as I can gather the eagles are just repeating what they do with trawlers and their discards. There's also a guy that runs a similar trip off one of the Scottish islands on a smaller scale (disclaimer: I've been on it), and I gather there's a understanding between all involved, following advice from the RSPB, that if it's limited to a fish per pair per day then it's not going overboard and nobody is going to cause a fuss. I recall there's also a placed called Lock & Dam 14 in Mississippi where eagles and photographers come together, with fish thrown for the birds.

My personal opinion is that modest feeding, as long as it's not putting the animal/bird in harm, to the level where it's not creating dependencies, or increasing the risk of conflict with less understanding people, it's probably ok. On the other hand I think song-playback should only used with where necessary and with due diligence for serious research/conservation, but not by photographers. The difference being that call playback is about getting the subject to expend energy without return, whereas food at least is a quid quo pro.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 10, 2017

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pablo Bluth posted:

Different people have different opinions.

For example you can do boat trips to photograph white tailed eagles off Norway where they do the same thing - as far as I can gather the eagles are just repeating what they do with trawlers and their discards. There's also a guy that runs a similar trip off one of the Scottish islands on a smaller scale (disclaimer: I've been on it), and I gather there's a understanding between all involved, following advice from the RSPB, that if it's limited to a fish per pair per day then it's not going overboard and nobody is going to cause a fuss. I recall there's also a placed called Lock & Dam 14 in Mississippi where eagles and photographers come together, with fish thrown for the birds.

The trawling ships should just charge to let the photographers come fishing with them, two birds with one stone.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
There was a pretty entertaining story on a free range chicken farm and bald eagles on NPR:
http://www.npr.org/2017/02/08/514161106/an-all-you-can-eat-buffet-bald-eagles-prey-on-farmers-chickens

The farmer sold viewing for birders to try and make up for lost revenue from the eagles eating lots of his chickens.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

In this episode of Deadliest Catch, Brian the insurance salesman from Quebec loses his lens overboard. .

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Pablo Bluth posted:

My personal opinion is that modest feeding, as long as it's not putting the animal/bird in harm, to the level where it's not creating dependencies, or increasing the risk of conflict with less understanding people, it's probably ok. On the other hand I think song-playback should only used with where necessary and with due diligence for serious research/conservation, but not by photographers. The difference being that call playback is about getting the subject to expend energy without return, whereas food at least is a quid quo pro.
Now you're bringing common sense into this. ;)

But yes, I agree with this take.

I prefer the default of "don't feed the wildlife" but there are some cases where it isn't a big deal.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Finally got a chance to get back out and shoot again.

Brewer's Blackbird

Swamp Sparrow (first for me)

Red-wing Blackbird

jackpot posted:

IMG_6899 by elymt, on Flickr

IMG_6876 by elymt, on Flickr
All of what you posted are beautiful shots, but I particularly think these two are incredible. It's strange, but for all the whoopla people raise about owl baiting online I haven't heard the same complaints before about eagle baiting with fish.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Eagle bating may not have caught on enough for it to be a problem. Also I guess maybe less likely to mess them up compared to winter owls that are living on the edge.

But yeah, there's a lot of stuff you can't do to eagles, and I'm surprised feeding them isn't one of them.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I also suspect it is more common for an eagle to come across a dead fish in the water.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Feeding an owl a mouse vs. feeding an eagle a fish has a couple of other concerns, valid or not, for many people.
- The mouse was bought from a pet store, probably to be fed to a snake, but set out on a snow-covered field on a -20 day to feed an owl.
- Mice are mammals and are considered cute by many people. Few people get emotionally invested in haddock.
- The mouse was alive (hypothermic and dying of exposure) at the moment of capture, the fish has been dead for at least a few minutes, possibly hours or days (in a freezer).

Backyard bird feeders - I have one, on my apartment balcony - are also a way to feed wild animals for personal enjoyment, including for photography. I am 100% certain that my feeder is significantly changing the behaviour of every Cowbird, Finch, Chipping Sparrow, and Grackle that hits it - and I'll leave it up to you to judge whether a House Sparrow counts as a wild animal in Canada.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
dont feed wild animals

#1 you can make them sick very easily #2 you don't know how many other people are doing it

its the same principal as taking everything you bring into a national park out with you.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 11, 2017

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

InternetJunky posted:

Finally got a chance to get back out and shoot again.

Swamp Sparrow (first for me)

Awesome shots. This bird, however, is a Song Sparrow. Swamp Sparrows are not streaky in the front like this bird.

Regarding baiting, one of the main issues I've heard with baiting is that they're often training the owls to stay close to roads and be unafraid of cars, resulting in increased deaths by traffic collision.

Thankfully the owl photographers around here seem to keep their rear end in a top hat behavior to simply flushing owls.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Sorry to continue the derail but thought it was funny this popped up today

http://www.audubon.org/news/why-baiting-owls-not-same-feeding-backyard-birds

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Sorry to continue the derail but thought it was funny this popped up today

http://www.audubon.org/news/why-baiting-owls-not-same-feeding-backyard-birds

That's article raises some good points. And the author is talking about a remote area of Minnesota that this happens in. I live in a large city and we get regular wintering owls, including snowy owls. None of the regular birders report owls anymore, and are very cagey telling anyone not in their circle of trust about sightings. When a snowy gets reported by someone, random people start showing up and start chasing them around the park, trying to get pictures on their point and shoots and iPhones, and I don't doubt some of the more unscrupulous photographers will attempt to bait the birds if they knew where to look.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

On the subject of owls... I've been going out into our nearby woods every decently-lit evening, hoping to get a similar shot to this one from a few years back:

...and finally got one to top it! I'm really happy with how this came out, and how the owl was so courteous to sit in an easily-noticed, silhouetted spot.

:wotwot:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

nice one!

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Echoing this. I'd love to find an owl in such a perfect setting!

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
A Blue Heron is paying a visit to the duck pond at a nearby nature park. I have never seen one in the park itself. They strike me as somewhat timid birds and there is always a lot of people and dogs around the duck pond. Usually they're seen by Rivière des Prairies. There was a lot of freshly thawed out fish carcasses all over the shoreline though, so it may have been to good a deal to pass up. Of course it shows up while the only camera I had with me was a Lubitel and Lubi don't telephoto.

Heron Visitor

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Buying a used tamron 150-600 in the morning. Seattle goons, where should I start looking for birds? I know Kenshin goes to Discovery Park, any other suggestions?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

TequilaJesus posted:

Buying a used tamron 150-600 in the morning. Seattle goons, where should I start looking for birds? I know Kenshin goes to Discovery Park, any other suggestions?
Magnuson Park is good too, as are parts of Marymoor Park. If you're up for a bit of a drive, Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge just north of Olympia is excellent. Golden Gardens can be really good (especially near the duck ponds) for the occasional rare duck as well.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TequilaJesus posted:

Kent Ponds/green river natural resources area is great if you're down that way. Seward and Lincoln parks can be good if you can get there on weekdays/early, but have the potential to get busy. Nisqually is worth the drive.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

TequilaJesus posted:

Are you in Seattle proper, or somewhere else in the general area? All the previous recommendations are good for Seattle proper and south of there. If you're north/south/east of Seattle then there are other good places that might be closer. If nothing else, just look around your area for hotspots in eBird's hotspot explorer.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

went to go check on the Bald Eagle nest this afternoon. Looks like there's 2 chicks this year that I could see

Bald Eagle by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Red Tailed Hawk by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Tree Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

DSC_2377.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_2392.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

DSC_2358.jpg by Steven Sarginson, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Some birds from Calgary, there's a couple Osprey nests near my sister's place we went to check out but they were a bit too elusive

Brown-headed Cowbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Eastern Kingbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Red-Winged Blackbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr
Yellow-Headed Blackbird by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

and one from out in Banff
Clark's Nutcracker by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Song Sparrow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Barn Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Barn Swallow by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr

Cedar Waxwing by Tyler Huestis, on Flickr