Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Sargon, a right wing idiot, posted a picture of YGP liberating a town from ISIS, and claimed that they were in fact ISIS themselves. He believed that this blatant lie was a strong case for why antifacism is worse than fascism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Terrible Opinions posted:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Sargon, a right wing idiot, posted a picture of YGP liberating a town from ISIS, and claimed that they were in fact ISIS themselves. He believed that this blatant lie was a strong case for why antifacism is worse than fascism.

I'm not convinced Sargon was deliberately lying, he is incredibly stupid.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Based on it being a quote of some other picture I'm sure he just saw it randomly come up in his feed and thought "brown people terrorists holding the antifa flag!!!" and mashed retweet as hard as he could

e: Also the guy he's quoting drew the same conclusion and also seems to be a total idiot so I'm sure Sargon trusts him inherently

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Why is Sargon flying a Black flag in his Twitter handle

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Why is Sargon flying a Black flag in his Twitter handle

Hes become the lamest pirate ever

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It is really hard to tell when he's being dense or willfully dense. Since a lot of his misdirection is omission, which could be him just not reading stuff like a lazy dumb rear end

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It is really hard to tell when he's being dense or willfully dense. Since a lot of his misdirection is omission, which could be him just not reading stuff like a lazy dumb rear end

I mean judging by how hard that actual feminist scholar wiped the floor with him in that debate I tend to think that he legitimately does not actually inform himself on anything and probably just dunning-krugers his way to assuming he knows everything about it like most nerds.

And I mean that works great for his core audience since they do the same thing, and what are they gonna do check facts? Psh

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

He definitely does read books but you would never describe him as "well-read" or particularly intelligent. Hes the sort of person who would put up a 90 minute video about how leftism is actually fascism but he cribs all of his conclusions from Jonah Goldberg.

So yeah, hes dense and very, very lazy, both intellectually and physically.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

There's a reason why people use Sargons long as a measurement of 5 minutes of time.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Gorn Myson posted:

He definitely does read books but you would never describe him as "well-read" or particularly intelligent. Hes the sort of person who would put up a 90 minute video about how leftism is actually fascism but he cribs all of his conclusions from Jonah Goldberg.

So yeah, hes dense and very, very lazy, both intellectually and physically.

Like when he said he over-prepared for that debate.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

ate all the Oreos posted:

I mean judging by how hard that actual feminist scholar wiped the floor with him in that debate I tend to think that he legitimately does not actually inform himself on anything and probably just dunning-krugers his way to assuming he knows everything about it like most nerds.

And I mean that works great for his core audience since they do the same thing, and what are they gonna do check facts? Psh

This is really symptomatic of the entire alt-right. For a group that has such a massive boner for their own intellectual superiority, they steadfast refuse to do even entry level research. Which on of the reasons they always end up with the short stick when it comes to actual debate. I.e. Feminsim is a subject with decades of academic scrutiny and discussion behind it, which means that any dumb argument MRAs try to throw at it usually has been analyzed, discussed and refuted several times over.

But its also why they love to hide behind a massive, anonymous collective and use primarily harassment tactics. If you know you would lose an actual debate, there is no point in engaging in one.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
See: St_Rev's paranoia about smart people being memetically poisoned by the evil gramscian damage one gets from reading Immanuel Kant or (((cultural marxists))) or postmodernists and his own refusal to talk to someone who admits to having read any of that.

Vulin
Jun 15, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Like when he said he over-prepared for that debate.

To be fair he probably read through some Wikipedia articles twice and maybe wrote down half a page of bullet points. Bein a self-taught thinker like Sargon takes a lot of effort.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I should watch that debate. The Shaun and Jen videos are really fun but it's hard to listen to the shitlords being roasted sometimes

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Yeah Shaun and Jen has several videos demonstrating Sargon's inability to do even the most basic research or fact-checking before he blesses the rest of the internet with his reactions to current events. HBG, too.

It's kind of dismaying that this guy is considered a smart guy with unassailable arguments by alt right dudes. Like, come the gently caress on.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

There could be a selection bias at work: I personally think introspective and informed people would tend to stop believing the things sargon-et-al believe.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

In one Shaun video he said Sargon tries to style himself as someone who takes the piss out of both sides' extremes and I was really surprised, it must be the worst effort possible. You only hear his name when extreme shitlords are the subject.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Doc Hawkins posted:

There could be a selection bias at work: I personally think introspective and informed people would tend to stop believing the things sargon-et-al believe.

It's more just the fact that there are so many people who lack said introspection and remain uninformed. It's like, "But why???"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I'm convinced that at least one repeating reason is they spent the first ~24 years of their life in a Default Liberal environment, and they didn't noticed how small it was before creating an identity of rebellion against it, and they're too invested to back off. This is what I thought about Moldbug years ago, I think before he got into the extra-obviously-awful stuff, and was just going on about how all school is a plot to make you compliant and we'd be better-off being ruled by a gold-loving alien tyrant, and what I think about Scott Whatsits too.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'm convinced that at least one repeating reason is they spent the first ~24 years of their life in a Default Liberal environment, and they didn't noticed how small it was before creating an identity of rebellion against it, and they're too invested to back off. This is what I thought about Moldbug years ago, I think before he got into the extra-obviously-awful stuff, and was just going on about how all school is a plot to make you compliant and we'd be better-off being ruled by a gold-loving alien tyrant, and what I think about Scott Whatsits too.

It also helps if you're kind of a narcissist and other people and their feelings and suffering aren't really very real to you.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

In one Shaun video he said Sargon tries to style himself as someone who takes the piss out of both sides' extremes and I was really surprised, it must be the worst effort possible. You only hear his name when extreme shitlords are the subject.

I know a Milo fan IRL who says that both and Sargon are "centrists" because the political compass said so :downs:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

MikeCrotch posted:

I know a Milo fan IRL who says that both and Sargon are "centrists" because the political compass said so :downs:

"I'm a rational centrist because I hate most Democrats and most Republicans(Or in his case, Tories and Labor)" Is what nearly everyone with an opinion on politics says, even me, this motherfucker right here who will vote straight D his entire life (barring a seismic shift in the current political landscape) What makes Sargon's lack of self-awareness hilarious to mine is the complete absence of effort on his end to think about what he believes in and why.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

The Vosgian Beast posted:

See: St_Rev's paranoia about smart people being memetically poisoned by the evil gramscian damage one gets from reading Immanuel Kant or (((cultural marxists))) or postmodernists and his own refusal to talk to someone who admits to having read any of that.

Kant?????? Why the gently caress would that be a bad thing, he's only of the most important and innovative philosophers this side of 1000AD! Hegel I'd understand, simply because so many of his hated prog-thinkers owe a huge debt to him, but Kant?!?!?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oscarthewilde posted:

Kant?????? Why the gently caress would that be a bad thing, he's only of the most important and innovative philosophers this side of 1000AD! Hegel I'd understand, simply because so many of his hated prog-thinkers owe a huge debt to him, but Kant?!?!?

The alt-right has a weird hateboner for kant lately and i have no idea why, i've encountered it elsewhere too.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

oscarthewilde posted:

He has this lifelong passionate hatred that apparently boils down to

A: He was hard to read

B: He had some antiquated ideas about geometry, John "White supremacy, in the sense of a society in which key decisions are made by white Europeans, is one of the better arrangements History has come up with. " Derbyshire wrote a book about how he totally held math back, and St_Rev values the opinions of John "Too racist for the National Review" Derbyshire

C. Probably some cross-contamination from Objectivists, who hate Kant because Ayn Rand did.

D. Kant was responding to David Hume, and Rev loves Hume(NOTE: Both Hume and Kant were huge racists, being white dudes from several hundred years ago, so this bit doesn't seem to be influenced by his politics)

https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/819300394937552896

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

The Vosgian Beast posted:

C. Probably some cross-contamination from Objectivists, who hate Kant because Ayn Rand did.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Kant is not that bad, but Hume is way better. :colbert:

And today is his birthday! To celebrate, read a really short biography he wrote when he realized he was going to die.

Relevant to DE-HBD-BBQ horseshit, it's also the birthday of John Brown! To celebrate, watch Johnny Cash play him pretty good in a show that was pretty bad.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

He wrote a book called the "Critique of Pure Reason," which means he's a mindless emotional prog who opposes the Rational Thinkers of today.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Kant's ethics is legitimately terrible, though.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

You got a link to the full article? That one's up there with the analysis of anti-Semite propaganda when it comes to explaining present day internet shitlords before they even existed.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

Silver2195 posted:

Kant's ethics is legitimately terrible, though.

Depends on your definition of terrible, I guess. Pure deontology has fallen out of style, but his influence on, for example, deontological reflexive justifications and arguments for the existence of human rights has been incredible. Gewirth, for example, really has managed to take Kant and use him to provide some great arguments.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Rangpur posted:

You got a link to the full article? That one's up there with the analysis of anti-Semite propaganda when it comes to explaining present day internet shitlords before they even existed.

I got you, friend.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

oscarthewilde posted:

Depends on your definition of terrible, I guess. Pure deontology has fallen out of style, but his influence on, for example, deontological reflexive justifications and arguments for the existence of human rights has been incredible. Gewirth, for example, really has managed to take Kant and use him to provide some great arguments.

He doesn't have the first idea of what he's talking about here and is going off of youtube summary videos :ssh:

Rangpur posted:

https://harpers.org/archive/1941/08/who-goes-nazi/

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Wasn't Kant considered something of a danger to traditional verities in his own time after publishing the Critiques? Despite arguably having the opposite intent. And he was a big fan of the Enlightenment. It doesn't surprise me that he's picked up by some reactos as a part of the Fall.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Is it just me or is this mostly poo poo you'd be expected to lick in your first year or two of undergrad?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
http://alt-rightfactbase.blogspot.com/?m=1

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Ha, I'm friends with a bunch of the people in the Slutwalk images on this site.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nice superfluous menu, nerd!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"DIE-versity" :allears: