Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bob Morales posted:

Turns out our regular Rackspace emails are only $1/month so that makes the most sense. HR and CEO put this project on one of my employees and didn't loop me in until I read the document on his desk on Friday.

"Woah, Bob, why are we spending $1200 a year on something that we'll never use? Just use a free email for them or something"

Actually, here's the million dollar question: do the employees need to actually do something with the email? Could HR just create and own a mailbox for those employees, click them themselves or whatever, and then call them into an office as usual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno, personal email addresses are an open gateway to the horrific untamed wilds of the internet and every random idiot attachment from strangers your users will happily click on. An email account only for those evaluations can at least be locked down airtight from receiving anything but work emails.

If they're making Gmail accounts for everybody, then they are in effect personal e-mail addresses.

I'm assuming it's not a Google Apps account since they already have Rackspace addresses.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Meeting Room Pet Peeves:

People not reserving a room
People not reserving a room the right way (ignoring their reservations that fail)
Reserving a room for you and 1 other person when you have a big rear end office
The fact that we only have 2 meeting rooms

We need 2 small (1-4 person) meeting rooms for little stuff

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

If they're making Gmail accounts for everybody, then they are in effect personal e-mail addresses.

ding ding

People dont' want them just using their personal email for this because they'll just be checking their personal email all the time

Nobody gets personal emails at their work address right now I guess. :lol:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you want to throw a spanner in the works, I'm pretty sure you can't make Gmail accounts for your staff to use as you aren't in a position to agree the terms of service on their behalf.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Bob Morales posted:

We're launching a new HR app. BambooHR. For yearly evaluations/goals to work, you have to have an email address for the employee.

Half of our employees are in the production floor and don't have a work email. Great, what do we do with those?

I said "use their personal email address. most people should already have one"

HR says "make a gmail account for everyone". They don't want them using their personal email address at work (they would sign into a computer in the break room or something and get their emails). They are only going to get these emails around evaluation time, every 6 months or 12 months or whatever. That's all they'll be used for.

Help me come up with reasons why this is a stupid loving idea.
What problem is solved by using personal emails rather than work emails? Off the top of my head the reasons are:
  • You won't be able to manage pw recovery, and folks will inevitably get locked out and be SOL. The cost of fixing for these folks will be greater than managing them within our existing capabilities.
  • Someone will do something horrible with it, and then tell the court it was created by their employer for the sake of doing work.
  • We already have a system for managing work email addresses.
  • Bamboo has a separate field for personal email.
  • This won't be the last application that will be used for production staff which requires this.

Also forgot: HR needs to stop dictating the solution. They can dictate requirements.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

HR should have picked a software package that fits the business' needs. :colbert:

Though it is reasonable to ask why not every employee in the company is provided an email account. To me it's like buying toilet paper, you don't even question it it's just something that has to be done.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

porkface posted:

What problem is solved by using personal emails rather than work emails? Off the top of my head the reasons are:
  • You won't be able to manage pw recovery, and folks will inevitably get locked out and be SOL. The cost of fixing for these folks will be greater than managing them within our existing capabilities.
  • Someone will do something horrible with it, and then tell the court it was created by their employer for the sake of doing work.
  • We already have a system for managing work email addresses.
  • Bamboo has a separate field for personal email.
  • This won't be the last application that will be used for production staff which requires this.

Also forgot: HR needs to stop dictating the solution. They can dictate requirements.

They're awesome at picking out software without IT involvement.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
poo poo that's pissing me off

More ransomware.

I was gone for one day guys, come on! Stop this!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
After our ransomware scare in a financial institution, we put the fear of god in every employee about how absolutely disastrous it could have been were it not for the fast action and backup diligence of IT. People asked us about the most benign spam for weeks after, fearing they'd be the next one to majorly gently caress up.

How do you cope with being the second person to introduce ransomware in two days? I don't think you scared your users enough after the first one.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Good security practices and backups make ransomware a mild inconvenience, so going "a department lost a few hours of work but it could have been much worse" doesn't quite have the same impact as "your poo poo is gone, go home and we'll tell you when we found a month old backup that kind of works, try not to do this again".

Unrelated note, is this recruiter insane or am I really hamstringing myself by trying to keep my resume to one page? For a while now I've had to take a chainsaw to my work experience to keep it at one page.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

hihifellow posted:

Good security practices and backups make ransomware a mild inconvenience, so going "a department lost a few hours of work but it could have been much worse" doesn't quite have the same impact as "your poo poo is gone, go home and we'll tell you when we found a month old backup that kind of works, try not to do this again".

Unrelated note, is this recruiter insane or am I really hamstringing myself by trying to keep my resume to one page? For a while now I've had to take a chainsaw to my work experience to keep it at one page.

A recruiter turned my beautiful single page resume into a hideous unreadable five page mess. I'm still working on fixing it. Do not listen to them. Stick to one page.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How about you deal with ransomware by having the OS shutdown its network connection for 10 minutes every time a user clicks a link or attachment in email. Then a check gets run to verify the OS, and if it fails it starts screaming bloody murder.

On second thought even if the health check is successful it should scream bloody murder, just direct it at the user for being so stupid.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

After our ransomware scare in a financial institution, we put the fear of god in every employee about how absolutely disastrous it could have been were it not for the fast action and backup diligence of IT. People asked us about the most benign spam for weeks after, fearing they'd be the next one to majorly gently caress up.

How do you cope with being the second person to introduce ransomware in two days? I don't think you scared your users enough after the first one.

I don't even want to know what a ransomware scare would look like here. I'm ready with backups the management reaction. Sales manager opened something and went oh poo poo called me said they pulled the plug on the computer and it had already sent out hundreds of emails to his contacts trying to spread. This got out to customers and inevitably some of the opened it even after a BCC to everyone that had received one saying to not open it it was not sent by us in under an hour (with some people getting infected weeks later)

I nuked the computer, but the sales manager was suspended that day with a meeting over keeping his job that he had for over 15 years the following week. He ended up keeping his job, and I believe it's partly to me saying it's the first time he's ever done this and did exact what needed to be done, we mitigated everything. People were convinced the guy only kept his job because he does so much and replacing him would be a massive pain. I tend to agree.

I'm almost positive a crypto infection would end with the user that triggered it shitcanned and management attempting to sue them.

I could have us running again in under a day with it only being a blip. I'd bitch about lost free time / sleep but I'd get a day or two off for it.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

SwitchbladeKult posted:

A recruiter turned my beautiful single page resume into a hideous unreadable five page mess. I'm still working on fixing it. Do not listen to them. Stick to one page.

My recruiter copy and pasted mine into another document with their letterhead but in the process made it a complete mess. I still got the job though, so whatevs.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

We had one person cause two crypto infections by first opening an email attachment called resume.js and the very next day plugging the infected machine back into the network.

I felt so bad for her she was sure she would be fired.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

xzzy posted:

HR should have picked a software package that fits the business' needs. :colbert:

Though it is reasonable to ask why not every employee in the company is provided an email account. To me it's like buying toilet paper, you don't even question it it's just something that has to be done.

I work in an industrial site - there is no way most of the guys here need email addresses. H&S and other info is posted in about 300 common areas, I setup a digital signage system that goes over it as well, and yeah, we don't need to triple our number of email accounts for guys who would never check it.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
If you haven't already, use a GPO to either disable the Windows Scripting Host, and/or change the file assocation of .JS and .VBS to something like Notepad. Simple and effective way of stopping those types of ransomware.

tehfeer
Jan 15, 2004
Do they speak english in WHAT?

hihifellow posted:

Keep the resume one page but tailor the resume to the job you are applying for, for example a resume for a pen-tester would focus on the offensive security experience you have in each of your previous jobs where a Blue team analyst position you would want to focus more on the defensive experience. Check out Eve Adams derbycon talk for some tips. https://youtu.be/8JfiXLFHwns

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

A few pics from my latest job.

https://imgur.com/a/I5Rdg

I want to cry.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

RFC2324 posted:

I want to cry.

Power cord management is definitely my weakest skill. The cables are just so much harder to work with than cat/fiber.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
If I could bear to look at it long enough, I'd take a pic of our main network stack on site and you'd be thanking the lord for what you have.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I can't decide if the cabling is worse than the shelves filled with 10+ year old PCs that customers are being charged server rates for.

At least our newer server rooms and DCs are less horrific.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

So is every web a single Desktop?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I can't decide if the cabling is worse than the shelves filled with 10+ year old PCs that customers are being charged server rates for.

At least our newer server rooms and DCs are less horrific.

You did do this too eh?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Sickening posted:

You did do this too eh?

Why is there an HP in the middle of the left stack causing it to be uneven?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

pixaal posted:

Why is there an HP in the middle of the left stack causing it to be uneven?

There is a new "why" every few minutes you look at it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sickening posted:

There is a new "why" every few minutes you look at it.

Just one big one, really.

*falls to knees* WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SEKCobra posted:

So is every web a single Desktop?

No. That client has real servers and a real infrastructure.

I don't know yet who is on the pc systems, and hope i never need to.

mewse
May 2, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

I want to cry.

Render farm?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

mewse posted:

Render farm?

Hosting company.

mewse
May 2, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

Hosting company.

:ughh:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We stopped doing our own cabling when it was demonstrated with crystal clarity that none of us dipshits are qualified to do it. When I got hired the place was in retirement phase for the old huge SGI systems and was being replaced with rack mount linux servers. Cabling quickly went to poo poo and people sulked about it for years before standards started being talked about.

Now we contract everything and new racks show up immaculate. Every rack has a ladder above it for routing back to the border switches and if you need a new run, you open a ticket and let the skilled workers do it. Life is rosy.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Cryptochat: Last Friday I saw an email that looked fishy sent to a VP. It was a workbook saying simply "Expenses needing your approval are in the attached spreadsheet." I sent it to our lead admin, but it was legit. Turns out we do actually send single sentence emails with unsolicited attachments from an alias that is literally our email missing a period.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

RFC2324 posted:

Hosting company.

Hah hah. Back in the late 90's I was consulting for <company> and they were looking for a data center to host about 2 cabinets worth of gear. It turns out that the CIO "had a friend" who ran a hosting company and was offering us some space in his datacenter for cheap.

As it turns out, his hosting company was literally that picture: a bunch of white box PCs sitting on Bed, Bath and Beyond wall shelving bolted to a wall behind a bunch of desks. There was no remote management or monitoring of any kind, so when a customer called to complain with an issue an intern would get up and push a power button. No graceful shutdown, no terminating a stuck process, just hard stop/power on.

Our "space in his data center" was "well, I suppose I could shove these PCs closer together and make some space on this shelf over here."

When I :gonk: -ed it right the gently caress out of there, the CIO was genuinely puzzled by my reaction.

When my contract was up, I bailed super hard. Shortly thereafter, <company> was handed a cease-and-desist for attempting to diversify by getting into the case manufacturing business by stealing a design for a 1U short-depth rack case.

:negative:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Agrikk posted:

Hah hah. Back in the late 90's I was consulting for <company> and they were looking for a data center to host about 2 cabinets worth of gear. It turns out that the CIO "had a friend" who ran a hosting company and was offering us some space in his datacenter for cheap.

As it turns out, his hosting company was literally that picture: a bunch of white box PCs sitting on Bed, Bath and Beyond wall shelving bolted to a wall behind a bunch of desks. There was no remote management or monitoring of any kind, so when a customer called to complain with an issue an intern would get up and push a power button. No graceful shutdown, no terminating a stuck process, just hard stop/power on.

Our "space in his data center" was "well, I suppose I could shove these PCs closer together and make some space on this shelf over here."

When I :gonk: -ed it right the gently caress out of there, the CIO was genuinely puzzled by my reaction.

When my contract was up, I bailed super hard. Shortly thereafter, <company> was handed a cease-and-desist for attempting to diversify by getting into the case manufacturing business by stealing a design for a 1U short-depth rack case.

:negative:

I just spent an hour hunting for a customers server because he was complaining that it wasn't pinging.

It was finally found completely removed from the data center in a back room of the office.

:wtc:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
poo poo pissing me off today:

The IVRs in both of our data centers are maxing out their CPUs. Since it is happening in both data centers failing over is impossible. How? Why? What is going on at my company? Why are we so incredibly bad at everything? :psyboom:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Agrikk posted:

The first company I worked for did almost exactly that in its tiny datacenter - beige mini-towers nestled next to each other on wire storage racks like you'd buy at Costco or Home Depot.

Except this was mid- to late 2000's. :lol:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DizzyBum posted:

The first company I worked for did almost exactly that in its tiny datacenter - beige mini-towers nestled next to each other on wire storage racks like you'd buy at Costco or Home Depot.

Lots of webhosts used breadracks back in those times, I thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

DizzyBum posted:

This but in a 100% carpeted "datacenter" and you have a place I worked at, and why I asked the job after it for a brief tour before accepting.