Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The real problem with considering things like folks other than Joker having Salvation, Atomic Flare, God's Hand etc. is that by the time you have them you don't need them. You're already overlevelled for Yaldabaoth about 5 levels before you even get them. They might edge towards being useful in NG+, but bringing anyone that isn't Joker to the Caroline/Justine fight is adding a liability regardless of their level and you'd need to be so far in the game at that point that you probably can't fight the twins by the time you have those abilities anyway.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think it's just that neither Morgana nor Makoto is a particularly great damage-dealer in the endgame.

Before then, I used them together a few times, like against Shido, because Makoto hadn't learned Mediarahan yet but having her around for Marakukaja and Freidyne was still useful. Against Yaldabaoth or the twins I wouldn't want either of them taking a dedicated damage-dealer's spot, though.

Being able to swap on anyone's turn from the moment I meet Hifumi means I'll be changing party members constantly, though, so that'll probably help me use Morgana and Yusuke in the endgame more than I did in NG.

Dragonatrix posted:

The real problem with considering things like folks other than Joker having Salvation, Atomic Flare, God's Hand etc. is that by the time you have them you don't need them. You're already overlevelled for Yaldabaoth about 5 levels before you even get them. They might edge towards being useful in NG+, but bringing anyone that isn't Joker to the Caroline/Justine fight is adding a liability regardless of their level and you'd need to be so far in the game at that point that you probably can't fight the twins by the time you have those abilities anyway.

That's why you let the Reaper level you up in November and fight the twins then :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Actually, Zorro doesn't evolve to Mercurius til the 23rd right? So Morgana will always be a liability for the twins since he can't get Evade Elec before fighting them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Can you not fight them on the 23rd even if you do so before they're fused into Lavenza?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I've heard that the last day to fight them is the 22nd. Could be wrong though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Counterpoint: Cat is a bad character and the thought process for not using him should stop there.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

My party was Joker/Ryuji/Morgana/Makoto for the vast majority of the game

I like heals :shobon:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Harrow posted:

Can you not fight them on the 23rd even if you do so before they're fused into Lavenza?

There's no free time on the 23rd so :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Morgana is basically just Yukari but in a game where Yukari isn't really that necessary. Poor thief cat :smith:

Sea Sponge Run posted:

My party was Joker/Ryuji/Morgana/Makoto for the vast majority of the game

I like heals :shobon:

I used Makoto and Morgana together a few times, usually when Morgana had one heal level up from Makoto but I still wanted Makoto around (either because it was her intro dungeon, or because she was about as good at blowing things up as Ann but brought more support). Or when Makoto was as good of a healer as Morgana but I needed a magic-heavy team, like against the Okumura Palace boss.

Once Makoto learned Mediarahan, Morgana warmed the bench, though. Shoulda brought him against the final boss, at least, but it turns out I'm a bad friend

Dragonatrix posted:

There's no free time on the 23rd so :v:

Ah, OK, I didn't know you needed free time for it. I haven't gotten to the point where I can fight them in NG+ so I didn't know you didn't just waltz into the Velvet Room from anywhere to fight.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You need to be able to freely go into Mementos to do the bonus fight. I assume the final day's Mementos trip overwrites the fight trigger with the full heal dialogue.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

I think you have to specifically talk to them at the entrance to Mementos and nowhere else for it, but I could be wrong. The 24th apparently isn't viable for some reason I don't know yet myself, but once you get to the Depths Caroline just gives you a full heal.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also Miracle Punch is like the best ability in the game and it's on the Cat

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Harrow posted:

Being able to swap on anyone's turn from the moment I meet Hifumi means I'll be changing party members constantly, though, so that'll probably help me use Morgana and Yusuke in the endgame more than I did in NG.

Hifumi's NG+ item gives you her rank 9 ability, not her rank 10 one.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

Hifumi's NG+ item gives you her rank 9 ability, not her rank 10 one.

:negative:

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Daunte Vicknabb posted:

I am attempting a clean Merciless run rather than playing NG+, I got to Madarame at level 12. The fight is laughably impossible at level 12. I'm pretty sure it's impossible unless you have Rampage on Ryuji and the MC, certainly the former, so yeah needless to say I did not do that grinding on Merciless. Given that Merciless is about getting around your lower levels and such with intelligent strategy, but that said strategy is literally not available against Madarame before a certain level, I did not feel guilty turning down the difficulty to level in a human amount of time. Other than that, I've enjoyed the frustrations of Merciless quite a lot; beating Kamoshida at level 7 when most guides even for Normal recommend level 11 felt really great!

This time around I named my team Evolution because they are a mystery. This game is great.

e: If someone can record or find a video of Madarame being defeated without AoE physical skills on Merciless (or even Hard, honestly) I'll eat my hat.

I just discovered that the day of the pancakes is 6/9...nice...

I did it at 16 with Rampage on the MC, not on Ryuji. A second Rampage would have made the fight a lot easier, for sure, but I think I could do it at a lower level now albeit relying highly on meds / ofudas / ointments.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

More people need to take Ann into the endgame because she is a goddamn monster. Fire Amp + Boost, Concentrate and Blazing Hell will destroy anything and everything.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I'm overleveled to hell and back and I'll own up to it but I still don't get why they made Haru as devastating as she is. It's loving Looney Tunes just how bonkers this girls damage output is. Akechi ambushed us? Don't worry a heat riser on her and one shot kill does like 1,500 damage. Shido turns into his flying throne form? 1,700 and instantly goes out of it.

Like she's just loving chunking everyone to the point all of my other characters just cannot compete at all.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
would be cool if in ng+ hifumi got a rank 11 ability that let you take the entire party into battle at once

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

You'd think that just barfing all of the unused elements on one character because no one else had them would make for a really weird and slipshod character build and it's kinda true with Haru, but she also gets everything relevant to making an absurd Gun build so it all works out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Saint Freak posted:

Counterpoint: Cat is a bad character and the thought process for not using him should stop there.

hes meowvelous

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Let Morgana use a gun

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

add more gun skills and make haru gun only in p5 scarlet

dunno where psy'll go tho lol

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Morgana, Lavenza, and Real Igor are my good cool friends from the collective unconsciousness, please don't troll them online

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Sea Sponge Run posted:

add more gun skills and make haru gun only in p5 scarlet

dunno where psy'll go tho lol

Hifumi! :D

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

You should go to bed.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

You'd think that just barfing all of the unused elements on one character because no one else had them would make for a really weird and slipshod character build and it's kinda true with Haru, but she also gets everything relevant to making an absurd Gun build so it all works out.

Imagine if she got Charge :getin:

Actually that's all it would take for her to just plain be a better attacker than Ann. Ann wins out over Haru specifically because she has Concentrate.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Ann is very strong

I'm going to assume Yusuke/Morgana are in the running for worst party members and unfortunately best boy is probably unimpressive in the late game just knowing parts of his skillset.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Yusuke's biggest problem is that his best contribution for later boss fights is Masukukaja. It's not completely worthless but there's little reason to sub him in for it especially since he'll probably be subbed right out again afterwards anyway.

Morgana can at least run damage control with Samarecarm and Mediarahan, which is... not really needed but it's there if something goes horrifically wrong.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I used Yusuke for the entire game after getting him, and also spent most of my summer vacation with him.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Morgana has a lot of utility with healing and he's the only one who learns the recarm line.

Yusuke is the only character who gets no way to boost his attacks natively(Concentrate, Charge or Amp/Boost) and his utter reliance on being Baton passed to makes him pretty dead weight against bosses.

Everyone is pretty good in randoms though

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'd give Morgana points for the recarm line if not for the fact that revival items are dirt cheap from Takemi once you get her discount unlocked. :shrug:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love Yusuke and his galaxy leggings and purple tank top he brings to fights

Sea Sponge Run posted:

unfortunately best boy is probably unimpressive in the late game just knowing parts of his skillset.
Goro is actually extremely impressive and prob tied with Haru for Can gently caress poo poo Up In This Game Real Good

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ChaosArgate posted:

I'd give Morgana points for the recarm line if not for the fact that revival items are dirt cheap from Takemi once you get her discount unlocked. :shrug:

Tae also sells the reflect damage items, removing another niche that Haru has. Hers affect the whole party at once too!

Good thing Haru is still great for clearing trash or she would end up like Yusuke.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Aside from Joker and Ryuji it really doesn't matter who the rest of your team is since the game is very easy and everyone is good.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Dolash posted:

Tragically one of the best lines isn't voiced. I'm talking of course about Yusuke saying "my ad-mice is to pro-squeak with caution."

Don't worry, I'm sure a con goer will ask his voice actor to say this.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Moltrey posted:

I love Yusuke and his galaxy leggings and purple tank top he brings to fights

Goro is actually extremely impressive and prob tied with Haru for Can gently caress poo poo Up In This Game Real Good

Debilitate is a really useful skill, but if you get it then you don't need it as you will be extremely over-leveled for almost everything else in the game. Other then that Goro adds some utility for normal enemies with his instant kill attacks but that is about it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Tae also sells the reflect damage items, removing another niche that Haru has. Hers affect the whole party at once too!

Good thing Haru is still great for clearing trash or she would end up like Yusuke.

Heat riser alone makes her a great addition for boss fights and she still does a lot of damage when you stack up her gun skills.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Aw What the gently caress. I never bought them because they say single target, I think

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Goro's not a real party member. :v:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Motherfucker learns Debilitate if you level him up enough. (Which is actually a pretty solid argument for bringing him to fight Caroline and Justine, now that I think about it, if you do some Reaper leveling with him.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Motherfucker learns Debilitate if you level him up enough.

I have Trumpeter for that.

• Locked thread