Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010
Post some milling or blow me dick

I know about feinting, but the old popeye style of milling is definitely a lost art, or at least very out of style.

e; content for new page: face-punchy chin training has the same name as how popeye fights.
I literally view conor as popeye now.

Chillanese fucked around with this message at 16:01 on May 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Training your "chin" by getting punched is like training not to get knocked over by running in front of a car.

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010
Tell that to all these para troopers who before this could only throw endless 1-2s when they weren't getting punched in the face at the same time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezcn_eSMLbg

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can't train your chin. Milling is used by the paras to train aggression under duress (they get penalised for acting defensively), and "build character".

It's not a martial art, it's a hazing.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
You can train not being a big time wuss.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There are ways to do that without getting a concussion, it's called a panic drill.

I used to train at an ABA club in a shithole seaside town, it wasn't exactly a ballet school. I'd walk out of any place that did "milling" laughing my rear end off, it's loving retarded.

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010
I personally expect the Korean woman to be Built Army Tough when she gets in the cage.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

tooterfish posted:

There are ways to do that without getting a concussion, it's called a panic drill.

I used to train at an ABA club in a shithole seaside town, it wasn't exactly a ballet school. I'd walk out of any place that did "milling" laughing my rear end off, it's loving retarded.

It seems that you have gotten conversations melded and have confused milling (feinting/adjusting your guard) with letting someone punch you

david carmichael fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 7, 2017

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Filipino boxing, karate, non-filipino boxing etc. all make use of milling. Anderson Silva doing a lot of it against bisping is the most vivid example in my memory

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
As does Tag and Blind Man's Bluff

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

david carmichael posted:

It seems that you have gotten conversations melded and have confused milling (feinting with your hands) with letting someone punch you
The reason milling (as in feinting) was brought up was because milling (as in "letting someone punch you") was brought up first.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

tooterfish posted:

milling (as in "letting someone punch you") was brought up first.

I've never heard of it being used in that context and because it is extremely stupid I will continue to ignore it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Chillanese posted:

It's just feinting, really.

Yes.

quote:

I did read some speculation on milling being used to retreat defensively though.
It was compared to wing chun hand trapping.

You can defend yourself while retreating at range by feinting to get the opponent to adjust and deal with the anticipated strike.
To achieve the goal of trapping, which is to stop and deflect their limbs, you'd have to put more energy than just a quick feint.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Supposedly the reason why milling is really wild in old timey boxing videos is because it made it harder for someone to grab your wrists and elbows

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

this is how every korean in the ufc actually fights

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy
tomorrow is "dislocate my arm and let a dude kick the gently caress out of it" day

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fat Twitter Man posted:

this is how every korean in the ufc actually fights

nice

Is there actually any science behind "training your chin"? The only thing I can imagine is gaining the mental toughness to not be afraid and panic when you're rattled but it's not like a training partner is going to go in for the kill like a real opponent would so it's bunk.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I've definitely seen people strap weights to their neck and nod their head like a hundred times in an attempt to get a stronger chin and it owns

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

Panic drills are pretty necessary because it's good to know what to do when you're tired and the other person isn't. Drills where everyone beats up on one person is dumb because if you're concussed the fight is over anyway and lol at any drill that trains intangibles like heart, toughness, wisdom or whatever

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoK1uO49IdU

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

vainman posted:

I've definitely seen people strap weights to their neck and nod their head like a hundred times in an attempt to get a stronger chin and it owns

isnt that just to strengthen their neck because supposedly neck strength contributes to the ability to take a punch?

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Milling refers to both feinting and the army tradition of having guys beat the gently caress out of each other to encourage agreession and team building.

Whatever that chick was doing was retarded.

Nick and Nate both use old timey boxing stuff in their styles and more than a few coaches including Bas and Parillo have referenced pulling out bare knuckle boxing books for some inspiration for mma use. More to do with covers and angles for punches because without the larger gloves a fighters defensive posture is a little more compromised with standard modering boxing covers.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Skip My Posts posted:

isnt that just to strengthen their neck because supposedly neck strength contributes to the ability to take a punch?

this didn't help ellenberger

https://www.instagram.com/p/BNJEYVHBSKm/

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010
Oh no, I didn't know that knockout could get any sadder or any more darkly funny.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Training your neck is cool but I'm pretty sure when a dude rattles your brain around like that your sick traps wont matter bro

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Actually when death's scythe slashes your souls throat (metaphor only, theres no such thing as a soul obv.) it doesnt matter at all how many calories you counted, which is why jogging is bullshit. Yeah I wanna smoke an unfiltered cigarette while eating a cheeseburger and watching Cindy Crawford's legs.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ESPN is reporting that when Nate Diaz turned down the interim 155 fight against Ferguson, he countered with a 165 pound catchweight for no title. Nate has no interest at all in an interim title, and didn't want to cut to 155 for a fight he wasn't that interested in. The UFC didn't bother to respond to his counter.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Fartbox posted:

Training your neck is cool but I'm pretty sure when a dude rattles your brain around like that your sick traps wont matter bro

u mirin?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Fartbox posted:

Your brain rattles less if u got a strong proud neck

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_XuaYWP8ds

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BlindSite posted:

Whatever that chick was doing was retarded.

manyak posted:

Theyre doing that except instead of huge dudes its small dudes and theyre hitting at like 30% power

She shouldn't just keep her head still and chin up, but the drill with that level of power wasn't retarded.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(
Could we not rekindle that discussion? I didnt watch the video + feel left out

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nd3_-BOPDw

Dogbrisket
Jun 10, 2009

LOL loving shameless product placement 45 seconds in.

Dogbrisket fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 8, 2017

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
A rare appearance by Lew Polley, the receipient of 'we are kicking you off the show, is that okay for you?'

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Dogbrisket posted:

LOL loving shameless product placement 45 seconds in.

wait til you get a load of this: the stuff written all over the octagon is advertising products

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
My favorite thing about MMA and feinting is Nate Quarry revealing that for most of his professional career he did not know that you could pretend to throw a strike in order to set up other strikes.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

cis autodrag posted:

My favorite thing about MMA and feinting is Nate Quarry revealing that for most of his professional career he did not know that you could pretend to throw a strike in order to set up other strikes.

I thought that quote was about jabbing, which is somehow even worse?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Bluedeanie posted:

I thought that quote was about jabbing, which is somehow even worse?

I think he specifically said that he thought you were supposed to try to land your jabs. The idea of just throwing jabs not intended to land was new to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I think it is a mistake to confine his ignorance to just feints or just jabs.

• Locked thread