Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

8one6 posted:

What the gently caress was up with that Christmas movie?

Who, at any stage, thought that Santa being evicted would make a good Christmas movie for kids?

it's the kind of thing that kind of sort of made sense at the time but is horribly dated and incomprehensible in modern times. like the message of the film is one of gratitude and generosity but you have to jump through a ton of hoops to make santa claus, the immortal children's god of toys, into a pitiable figure in need of charity. also it's a children's film which never age well - carnival magic and cry wilderness were also aimed at children, which to me explains a lot of why they are so incoherent (children have poor taste in media so you dont have to work as hard)

e: huh, turns out the widdle baby lawyer was played by a man who was one of the pioneers of children's television back in the early 50's, and the movie was based on one of his books

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlzodg63lqw

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

8one6 posted:

What the gently caress was up with that Christmas movie?

Who, at any stage, thought that Santa being evicted would make a good Christmas movie for kids?

Did anyone else here feel like the villain was a dogwhistle Jew? It made me feel pretty uncomfortable.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fezz posted:

I feel like Carnival Magic has at least one thing that Manos doesn't: actual on set audio from the actual actors on screen.

Is that a good thing though?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

Overwined posted:

Did anyone else here feel like the villain was a dogwhistle Jew? It made me feel pretty uncomfortable.

I read his character more as a wholesale ripoff of Ebenezer Scrooge from A Christmas Carol so I didn't get that impression, but I can definitely see how he could be read that way (a conniving miserly rich man wants to stop children from enjoying a Christian holiday).

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

I read his character more as a wholesale ripoff of Ebenezer Scrooge from A Christmas Carol so I didn't get that impression, but I can definitely see how he could be read that way (a conniving miserly rich man wants to stop children from enjoying a Christian holiday).

I saw him as a cross between Scrooge and Mr. Potter.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Santa getting evicted and having to be saved by the only lawyer who still believes in him is kind of a cute plot, it would've made a good early Tim Burton movie.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I think earlier in this thread it was pointed out that the guy who played the lawyer in The Christmas That Almost Wasn't was the producer or financier of the movie or something like that so yeah, it was a vanity project.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The movie also rips off Miracle on 34th Street considering the mall Santa and court case.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Pakled posted:

I think earlier in this thread it was pointed out that the guy who played the lawyer in The Christmas That Almost Wasn't was the producer or financier of the movie or something like that so yeah, it was a vanity project.

He wrote the film. He wanted that little baby line.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Captain America TV movies.

Yor, Hunter From the Future. My grandfather had the weirdest collections of movies, including Starcrash, Godzilla vs The Smog Monster, The Mysterions, and Yor. I'd watch them a whole bunch.

Pakled posted:

I like the theory about Cry Wilderness being a vanity project between the scarf wearing rich guy and his son, Bowl Cut Jr.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jet Jaguar posted:

Nobody knows what "the payload" is other than Joel, it is part of some multi-year payoff

This is offhandedly going to be explained as a cooler full of snacks in two years and you know it. :haw:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chokes McGee posted:

This is offhandedly going to be explained as a cooler full of snacks in two years and you know it. :haw:

Specifically: hamdingers

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Oh ya, dat's some good eatin'. Take some out to da lake for some ice-fishin' and mm-mm.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Santa getting evicted and having to be saved by the only lawyer who still believes in him is kind of a cute plot, it would've made a good early Tim Burton movie.

One problem is that him being a lawyer had no part of the plot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

In fact, the only time it really seems to come up is at the beginning, when he fumbles around his office and we determine that he isn't, in fact, a very good lawyer, and is really better at being a baaaaaaaaayby!

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this! posted:

yeah when he gets a job as a janitor my wife turns to me and says "i thought he was a lawyer? gently caress this movie"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bicyclops posted:

Nutter Butters :colbert:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

precision posted:

Nutter Butters :colbert:

Fudgey the Whale ice cream cakes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

In fact, the only time it really seems to come up is at the beginning, when he fumbles around his office and we determine that he isn't, in fact, a very good lawyer, and is really better at being a baaaaaaaaayby!

It comes up vaguely when Prune shows up at the north pole, but again this is a film that hinges on a victim of a clerical error plotting to bankrupt Santa Claus

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
My god, having just now gotten to it Wizards of the Lost Kingdom is an instant classic. Easily the highlight of the season so far.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

General Dog posted:

My god, having just now gotten to it Wizards of the Lost Kingdom is an instant classic. Easily the highlight of the season so far.

Now imagine that movie except the script writers and director are horny.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

flosofl posted:

I saw him as a cross between Scrooge and Mr. Potter.

I saw him as Papa Emeritus without makeup on.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arivia posted:

Cold sesame noodles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Arivia posted:

There was a Carvel less than a mile from my house when I was in second grade in New Jersey. Cookiepuss!

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Finished Yongary today, and that kid in the movie is already up there with the most irritating kids in any MST3K movie.

This season rules.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fezz posted:

If you have Hulu there are 40 more episodes available. Not to mention the episodes on Shout Factory's YouTube channel.

Also almost every episode ever is on fan channels on YouTube for the grace of Shout not being assholes about copyright.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

TL posted:

Finished Yongary today, and that kid in the movie is already up there with the most irritating kids in any MST3K movie.

You mean the one who sounded exactly like the WE LIKE IT VERY MUCH kid

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

TL posted:

This season rules.

The kid in Lost Kingdom 2 is worse...somehow.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It feels like Wizards of the Lost Kingdom should have a toy line, a short-lived Saturday morning cartoon and a small but die-hard cult fandom attached to it. It's like Flash Gordon or Masters of the Universe from a parallel timeline.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I'm just baffled by the existence of Lost Kingdom 2. Did the Wizards of the Lost Kingdom brand have that much cachet from the first movie that it was worth sticking the name on an unrelated film?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm just baffled by the existence of Lost Kingdom 2. Did the Wizards of the Lost Kingdom brand have that much cachet from the first movie that it was worth sticking the name on an unrelated film?

"Oh hey, looks like this VHS has a sequel. I guess it must have been decent to get one. My kid liked The Neverending Story, right? I'll rent it."

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

"Oh hey, looks like this VHS has a sequel. I guess it must have been decent to get one. My kid liked The Neverending Story, right? I'll rent it."

I read this in Bill's Crow voice.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

twistedmentat posted:

Yor, Hunter From the Future. My grandfather had the weirdest collections of movies, including Starcrash, Godzilla vs The Smog Monster, The Mysterions, and Yor. I'd watch them a whole bunch.

When they made the comment in Starcrash about laser fights and cavemen, all I could think was "We have such sights to show you!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lord Hydronium posted:

Half of the reason I love MST3K is my Grandmother finding the bargain basement VHS bin in virtually any store and saying "Oh, the boys will love this one!" and then her sitting back and laughing when me and my two brothers riffed on it, sometimes joining in. Her purchases were more 50s/60s explotation stuff, but I bet she'd be going for the DVD bins at dollar stores and finding stuff like Wizards 2 if she were still around.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Bicyclops posted:

Half of the reason I love MST3K is my Grandmother finding the bargain basement VHS bin in virtually any store and saying "Oh, the boys will love this one!" and then her sitting back and laughing when me and my two brothers riffed on it, sometimes joining in. Her purchases were more 50s/60s explotation stuff, but I bet she'd be going for the DVD bins at dollar stores and finding stuff like Wizards 2 if she were still around.

It's always amazing when it turns out granny was right.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One of my most vivid memories is of her laughing hysterically while we were watching the Rear Window brandy scene, and we turned to look at her like "What the hell?", she said "Watch this now, they just keep snifting it and snifting it, but nobody ever drinks the brandy!" and it just struck us all funny.

It turns out, if you know the movie, that the entire scene was designed by Hitchcock to highlight Grace Kelly's boobs (as if they needed it, Hitch), but every time I see it, I think of her riff, raise a glass, and snift it in her memory.

I come from a long line of riffers, Joel, hire me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I had two friends in highschool that would riff movies with me, none of us had ever heard of MST3K. In retrospect, I was the Crow of the group.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Every goon thinks he's a Crow, but is actually a Gypsy.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

General Dog posted:

Please I am clearly Dr. Erhardt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

General Dog posted:

I'm okay with that!