Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

patonthebach posted:

Is there a lot of Wilt footage out there? Maybe I am extrapolating a lot but I cant imagine him being fast enough for todays NBA

Wilt Chamberlain was a track and field champion who could dunk on a 12-foot rim, once blocked a dunk attempt so hard he dislocated the guy's shoulder, and once dunked so hard the ball shot down to the court and broke the guy he dunked on's toe. Physically he was basically Kevin Garnett if Kevin Garnett was 2 inches taller and weighed 300 pounds of pure muscle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

milk milk lemonade posted:

If you gave Jordan modern nutriotion, training, and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches instead of having him smoke cigars and gamble all night past his bedtime he would've won 10 championships

Now this is a spicy take

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
You could still double-team guys with old defense rules, and you can still move into the paint on a drive, you just couldn't hang out in the paint. It did have an effect, but I think people think it meant no defensive schemes, and that's not right either.

Same with hand-checking. Removing it did change how you defended, but it wasn't like you were wrapping guys up or anything.

The biggest change in defense is now guys come into the league with more skills, and it's more likely they will be more effective at playing defense. Lots of guys in the 80s and 90s who were starters wouldn't get play today because they only did 2 things well and neither were defensive.

Tae posted:

Dennis rodman would have to play center in todays league. And pippen would probably play a lot of 4.

Rodman played a ton of center in the 90s too, he just didn't start there.

Rodman is an excellent choice in that fantasy, have to win this game or I die draft. There are guys out there who did 85% of MJ or Lebron. Rodman is a gigantic outlier.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Would you rather have Demare Carroll or Chandler Parsons right now, contact and all

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Could also be noted that up until some time in the 90s* basketball players didn't even weight-train because it was thought muscles would "get in the way" of a lot of stuff basketball players were trying to do (want to stay light to jump high, muscles are too heavy! It was silly but). Chamberlain would have been even stronger, even better with modern techniques.

*that "some time in the 90s" is also known as the Michael Jordan Steroid Era

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Lockback posted:

Rodman is an excellent choice in that fantasy, have to win this game or I die draft. There are guys out there who did 85% of MJ or Lebron. Rodman is a gigantic outlier.

I'll put that Rodman article on the All-Time Required Reading For Anyone With Even A Passing Interest In NBA Stats that I'm making up right now, maybe along with the "no-stats all-star" nytimes article on Shane Battier
https://skepticalsports.com/the-case-for-dennis-rodman-guide/

edit: for totally different reasons. Rodman article is great all-around, Battier article was maybe just the first mainstream recognition that you could really dive into stats on basketball to improve a team same as was being done with baseball. Changed opinions? Eh whatever

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 8, 2017

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Would you rather have Demare Carroll or Chandler Parsons right now, contact and all

30.2/2 for a .098 ws/48 guy

OR

72.3/3 for a .016 ws/48 guy

Gee I wonder who everyone would rather take?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Paul Zuvella posted:

30.2/2 for a .098 ws/48 guy

OR

72.3/3 for a .016 ws/48 guy

Gee I wonder who everyone would rather take?

Carroll should be taxed for thinking he's some sort of fashion icon instead of a dude with an ugly bleach job and shiny clothes

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Like there is a real chance Chandler Parson's will never be able to play competitive basketball again.

Demarre Carrol is juts not living up to his contract.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'd rather have my albatross never step on the court compared to what Carroll did this series. And maybe insurance chops off a year or two of the deal

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It took a couple of pages but I'm glad the GOAT discussion finally got around to acknowledging that the 'GOAT' question is implicitly 'except for Wilt'.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Like there is a real chance Chandler Parson's will never be able to play competitive basketball again.

Demarre Carrol is juts not living up to his contract.
This is why Carroll is worse. He actually gets to play. I'd rather have an injured player than this sieve of a defender who can't shoot

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

BWV posted:

This is why Carroll is worse. He actually gets to play. I'd rather have an injured player than this sieve of a defender who can't shoot

lmao yeah that totally makes sense. Take the guy who has the way bigger cap hit and literally cannot play.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Who could've predicted a 30+ year old second round pick who worked himself into a good role player in spite of his limited skill and athleticism wouldn't be very good after a major injury

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Paul Zuvella posted:

lmao yeah that totally makes sense. Take the guy who has the way bigger cap hit and literally cannot play.

Sunk cost fallacy with Carroll. You're paying him either way, I'd rather his 10-15 pity MPG goes to someone else

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Mandrel posted:

Who could've predicted a 30+ year old second round pick who worked himself into a good role player in spite of his limited skill and athleticism wouldn't be very good after a major injury

That actually sounds rather predictable.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

Sunk cost fallacy with Carroll. You're paying him either way, I'd rather his 10-15 pity MPG goes to someone else

Demarre Carrol is still a useful NBA player though, he drat near was at .1 WS/48.

That's a rotation player.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

That actually sounds rather predictable.

That's The Joke

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Demarre Carrol is still a useful NBA player though, he drat near was at .1 WS/48.

That's a rotation player.

He averaged 1/2/0 in the Cavs series :yikes:

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Chairchucker posted:

It took a couple of pages but I'm glad the GOAT discussion finally got around to acknowledging that the 'GOAT' question is implicitly 'except for Wilt'.

If Lebron played in the sixities how do you think he would have made out. How about Shaq then?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Wilt died in 1999 right? I fully expect his reincarnated self to emerge out of nowhere in like two years

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Carroll is not a useful player. He is an anchor who only gets minutes because he's kidnapped the coach's family. Getting starter minutes for a team with the best point differential in the east should yield better results. I would rather they replace him with literally anyone. His usage should be zero.

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I'd like to say for the record, as a basketball idiot I said in this thread when the Raptors signed him, "whos this carroll guy? Hes only a 74 on NBA 2k15, why are we paying starter money?" And everyone called me an idiot (rightfully so). Turns out hes more like a 60 this season.

edit: Raps 2.0

- dont try to resign lowry, he will get 4 years from some dumb team
- try to sign Ibaka if he will give you a 2 year contract (maybe 3... but thats pretty risky)
- lose patterson
- trade JV if there is something decent coming back and start BeBe
- Have Delon Wright be the main defense first PG / CuJo unfortunately will 'run' the court and feed to DeRozan
- Norm Powell as a starter
- Sign Tucker for 1 or 2 years if he will take backup money

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

patonthebach posted:

If Lebron played in the sixities how do you think he would have made out.
In a nice car, wearing a leather jacket, with my mom.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
What is the worst team to win the NBA championship in terms of overall talent?

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

*rolls 1d70*

I'm going to go with the sixties Celtics

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Bigass Moth posted:

Pistons

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

One of the late 70's teams. I'd say 79 Sonics.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Chairchucker posted:

Wilt was playing against Bill Russell, and the rest of the league at that time was that kinda tall accountant from the finance department at work who had a part time job playing basketball. His numbers were stupid insane because he was about 30yrs ahead of his time, before the NBA became a lucrative full time career for everyone involved. It was a completely different epoch in the history of the game. It would be like trying to compare Mike Trout to some pitcher from the 1874 Cincinatti Red Stockings who struck out every guy he faced because every guy he faced was playing base-ball for the first time ever.

It happens with every sport. Before a league gets big and popular and rich enough that everyone takes it seriously and can focus on it full time, only the top echelon guys can afford to focus all their time on it. Being able to do that makes them much much better than their rivals. Nowadays, even bench scrubs have the same access to training, and have dedicated their entire lives to their sport. The advantage the top guys have is lessened. This is why it's probably best to set his numbers to the side in these conversations.

Wilt is the answer to the question "what if <insert whatever modern player> was transported back to the 50's or 60's?".

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
If I could be whisked away to any point in NBA history to watch a dude play live in his prime, I'd probably pick Wilt.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Oh no *pulls the pull only in case of an emergency switch and crouches under a table while holding both my ears with my hands*

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Jota posted:

N: "Washington starters have outscored Boston starters 96-48"

V: gently caress Boston

I wish I could frame that entire 26-0 run. The playoffs are great.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

patonthebach posted:

I'd like to say for the record, as a basketball idiot I said in this thread when the Raptors signed him, "whos this carroll guy? Hes only a 74 on NBA 2k15, why are we paying starter money?" And everyone called me an idiot (rightfully so). Turns out hes more like a 60 this season.

edit: Raps 2.0

- dont try to resign lowry, he will get 4 years from some dumb team
- try to sign Ibaka if he will give you a 2 year contract (maybe 3... but thats pretty risky)
- lose patterson
- trade JV if there is something decent coming back and start BeBe
- Have Delon Wright be the main defense first PG / CuJo unfortunately will 'run' the court and feed to DeRozan
- Norm Powell as a starter
- Sign Tucker for 1 or 2 years if he will take backup money

HowToCreateA7Seed.txt

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Bigass Moth posted:

The Antoine Walker Miami Heat

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

dokmo posted:

The Antoine Walker Miami Heat

This was my favorite 2k7(?) team to play with. Jason Williams was a beast. Just cross people over until you had space to hit a midrange jumper. Shaq was unstoppable if you got the ball down low due to the slow as molasses, undefendable, turn and dunk animation. Wade was a "run at the basket and press the dunk button" machine. Posey and Kapono were great from downtown. Mourning and Haslem were great rim protectors and rebounders. Payton was a decent backup PG as well.

I loving loved that team.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

patonthebach posted:

If Lebron played in the sixities how do you think he would have made out. How about Shaq then?

I reckon Lebron would've been the second best player in the league.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Defense in the 60s and early 70s must have been hysterical (and from the clips I've seen it was). There were years where the league average pace was above 120.The fastest teams this year wouldn't move from the bottom slot for decades.

TomSwervo
May 6, 2017

Bigass Moth posted:

The '78 Bullets only won 44 games and were a #3 seed. The only stand out players they had were Elvin Hayes and maybe Wes Unseld.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Mandrel posted:

Hawks fans used to hype up Atlanta University but it looks like all that did was get Carroll and Bazemore paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TomSwervo posted:

The '78 Bullets only won 44 games and were a #3 seed. The only stand out players they had were Elvin Hayes and maybe Wes Unseld.

Both of those guys are Hall of Famers. I don't think there were any on the '79 Sonics (though there were several all stars). Ben Wallace might get in for the '04 Pistons because he was one of the most dominant defenders ever, but I don't see anyone else getting in.

• Locked thread