Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yukari/Junpei are fantastic and I'm not sure they've ever really topped them in the 'two clowns that just rag on each other' dynamic yet. I mean Yosuke/Teddie was cute but that's because everyone rags on Yosuke.

Yukari/Junpei being the straight oasis of normalcy in the sea of bizarre that is the rest of the P3 cast is also refreshing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

some of the P4 group hijinx scenes were garbage (like the camp or the culture festival

:geno: : "So. What Are Your Hobbies."

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

Yukari/Junpei are fantastic and I'm not sure they've ever really topped them in the 'two clowns that just rag on each other' dynamic yet. I mean Yosuke/Teddie was cute but that's because everyone rags on Yosuke.

Yukari/Junpei being the straight oasis of normalcy in the sea of bizarre that is the rest of the P3 cast is also refreshing.

I haven't played P3 in a very long time so I can't say how it shapes up to Yukari and Junpei but Ryuji and Ann's friendship is good and I like it a lot.

Oxxidation posted:

I wish the culture festival had more scenes like that, but alas it is not so.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Moltrey posted:

True, but I really don't think we needed to actually go to Hawaii to see that America has also heard of the Phantom Thieves. There's a small segment where you can run around and talk to other tourists on the beach about, but other than that it's the gang talking about it during the day, or Mishima telling you how big the polls at night. Hawaii also sets up that Big Bang Burger is expanding, but yall I go there like every night, we reaaaaally didn't need to go to Hawaii for this

Excuse me, I really needed Hawaii so that I could get my teacher to give me a couples' ring.

It's also a very Japan thing to do, since school trips are A Thing that they do in high school and they practically regard Hawaii as an extension of Japan.

It is also totally necessary in that it's another opportunity to bro down with Yusuke.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I haven't played P3 in a very long time so I can't say how it shapes up to Yukari and Junpei but Ryuji and Ann's friendship is good and I like it a lot.

When I say they're great, I mean how they they develop during the story as a whole. They have the whole standard and likeable "trade bants but have each other's backs when it counts" dynamic, but I like them more for how realistic and relatable they are, especially compared to the other P3 characters.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Oxxidation posted:

The anime version of this scene is worth looking up on youtube though and in general the animation does a good job of turning Yu's blandness into an actual character trait.

For real though I'm glad in this game Joker actually feels like a leader. In Persona 4 the way the writing worked, the actual leader most of the time seemed to be Yosuke and Yu was just the quiet tall guy that all the girls like.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Which screenshot?

The one where she's wearing all the clothes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh, that bit.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'll preface this by saying I've only just now finished the 2nd Palace , with a week before the deadline, so that you know roughly where I am in the story & social links. However I have played Persona 3 & 4 to completion multiple times, and I think the bit that came up earlier in the conversation about acting as someone's 'emotional crutch' is, a key difference in how the games approach the lead's characterization. You can give whatever answers you like if there's nothing riding on it, and even in S-Link conversations if you don't care about efficiency. At least with the latter though, there are 'right' answers & taken collectively they do offer a rough sketch of the player avatar's personality.

In Persona 3, you spend an awful lot of S-Link events just telling people what they want to hear and I think that's intentional, because if you max rank every link Igor calls you out on it. "Do you even have a true face of your own, I wonder?" or something along those lines. I don't intend this as a criticism--there is a thematic logic to P3's MC playing that role--but I can see why it would ring hollow to some people. With Persona 4, choosing the 'right' answer in S-Links paints a picture of you as a guy with a generally laid-back attitude and a sense of humor paired with a straight face, but who ultimately cares about and--more importantly--genuinely likes people. You engage with them in a way that P3's main usually doesn't.

Which brings me to Persona 5. In my admittedly very limited experience, the MC comes off as someone who tries to stay guarded around other people, but has a streak of pure cussedness that manifests as a sort of aggressively cheerful combativeness whenever he's confronted by suspicion or injustice. More or less the kind of attitude you'd expect from someone with his backstory, no? 'Soul of rebellion' and all that. It remains to be seen if my interpretation shifts over the remainder of the game, but I am really enjoying how it plays out so far.

Waffleman_ posted:

Especially that part, which got a honest-to-god laugh out of me since I hadn't heard about it ahead of time. :v:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I like both Yukari/Junpei and Ann/Ryuji a lot, but I think I like Ann/Ryuji more as a dynamic and like Yukari/Junpei more separate. Ryuji and Ann don't have enough to stand on their own, but their teasing and history with each other is good and warm. Meanwhile, I feel Yukari and Junpei are real strong characters, almost too strong considering how I feel about Persona 3 overall, but their back and forth feels a bit too one note to me.

Stupei, Ace Defective is a genius localization joke tho

LuiCypher posted:

Excuse me, I really needed Hawaii so that I could get my teacher to give me a couples' ring.

It's also a very Japan thing to do, since school trips are A Thing that they do in high school and they practically regard Hawaii as an extension of Japan.

It is also totally necessary in that it's another opportunity to bro down with Yusuke.
No look I ate garlic shrimp with Makoto it was cute, but I need more. And yeah I get school trips are a thing, hell I want camping for a few days my senior year, but It just feels really hollow when every other group event is beset by troubles like the principal dying or rained out, and then Hawaii is just "i dunno listen to everyone talk about how much they're not having fun and that the phantom thieves are popular now go home"

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 8, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

On the other hand The Phantom Thieves have way better individual relationships with each other. Like, I can tell you way more about Ryuji and Ann's friendship and about how they interact with each other than I can about Chie and Yukiko, and those 2 are supposed to be way closer. I know they're besties and everything but I'd have a rough time explaining how they express that. The P5 cast have some really strong individual relationships and it does a lot for the characters imo. It's not even just within the party. Like, Sojiro gets scenes with a couple of members of the gang and Makoto and her sister have a relationship that is developed throughout the game.

This is why I have a hard time understanding the arguments about how the cast's "group dynamic" is weaker than Persona 4's. I never played all the way through Golden, so maybe the added scenes there went above and beyond, but I definitely felt like Persona 5 did a better job of showing me some of the friendships than Persona 4 did. That's not to say I don't want Persona 5 to go further in a hypothetical expansion or something. I'd love to see more scenes of the Phantom Thieves hanging out with one another without Joker around. I'm imagining going to Akihabara with Ryuji during one of those off-day hangouts and running into Futaba dragging Yusuke around to show him sentai figures, that kind of thing.

But at the same time, I thought Persona 5's actual character writing is stronger than 4's. Yeah, Persona 4 spends more time being a game about a group of friends hanging out, but I think Persona 5 did much better at making me empathize with each individual character, understand why they are how they are, and get invested in their growth. (With the exception of Haru, but I think we're all in agreement she was severely disadvantaged because of how late she's introduced. We just don't get enough time with her.) I get that's probably a weird opinion, given that each character in Persona 4 is recruited by literally battling their inner demons, but maybe it's because Persona 5 had to work harder to show us those struggles throughout and not just frontloaded into that character's recruitment quest that they ultimately stuck with me more.

I agree with everyone who says Junpei and Yukari are the standouts in Persona 3. And I don't really feel like any individual relationship in Persona 4 stands out like their friendship does, or Ryuji and Ann in 5. Even Chie and Yukiko's friendship seems like it mostly developed off-screen and it's just a fact now.

Rangpur posted:

Which brings me to Persona 5. In my admittedly very limited experience, the MC comes off as someone who tries to stay guarded around other people, but has a streak of pure cussedness that manifests as a sort of aggressively cheerful combativeness whenever he's confronted by suspicion or injustice. More or less the kind of attitude you'd expect from someone with his backstory, no? 'Soul of rebellion' and all that. It remains to be seen if my interpretation shifts over the remainder of the game, but I am really enjoying how it plays out so far.

In general I think one of Persona 5's biggest strengths is how well it characterizes a silent protagonist. Your read on Joker matches mine pretty well, and I like how it comes through in most of the dialog options you can pick. They all fit someone like Joker, and none of them seem to be out-of-character no matter what you've chosen before. (Okay, so in Makoto's S. Link "Beep boop" might be a bit more insensitive than Joker would be, but it's funny so I'll allow it.)

It's tough to give a silent protagonist an actual character and even tougher when there's a shitload of dialog choices on top of it, but Persona 5 does it really well.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 8, 2017

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Like managing a butler/host cafe, and you get into wars with the other hosts in shinjuku?

Sega already made that game.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
I beat the game after putting in 100 hours feeling pretty empty inside. Are there any good turn based RPG's to play that have come out in the last few years? I enjoyed Digimon Cyber Sleuth a lot especially with it being a blatant Persona clone.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

So if you're dating Ann when everyone first meets Sojiro does she still say she's single? Or is it like Chie in 4?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Can you get your rank up that quickly?

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

It's after the second deadline, right? I suppose it's possible, though I don't really know when the relationship flag for her starts. I was too busy ranking up Ryuji and the politician anyway, I'm planning to wait until most of the dateable links are unlocked before thinking about dating anyone.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I just got to the treasure of the final(?) palace and I was wondering if the game will pull a Persona 4 and skip to the ending as soon as I finish it for real or if I'll be able to make use of the 20 or so days I have left?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If there is a day counter you will always get those days, you don't lose them from finishing a dungeon, ever

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I don't know what I expected Futaba to sound like, but it wasn't that.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If there is a day counter you will always get those days, you don't lose them from finishing a dungeon, ever

Good to know. I really disliked that bit about Persona 4.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Kay Kessler posted:

It's after the second deadline, right? I suppose it's possible, though I don't really know when the relationship flag for her starts. I was too busy ranking up Ryuji and the politician anyway, I'm planning to wait until most of the dateable links are unlocked before thinking about dating anyone.

I don't think you can since you can't even increase her link until after Kamoshida has turned himself in (she spends time with Shiho). Even if you could I don't think it would make a difference though. (Palace 4 spoiler) When the gang takes the Sushi to Sojiro's place to see Futaba, and Makoto gets scared and starts clinging to you, when Sojiro asks if you're dating she will still say that you're just friends even if you're dating at that point.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 8, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sankis posted:

I just got to the treasure of the final(?) palace and I was wondering if the game will pull a Persona 4 and skip to the ending as soon as I finish it for real or if I'll be able to make use of the 20 or so days I have left?

I almost feel like this should be bolded in large block letters on the first post (or in the title) with how many times this question is asked in the thread.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I think the game's biggest surprise to me is (palace 7 spoilers) Goro's death and the fact that he stays dead. Going into Palace 7, I was totally expecting us to change Shido's heart and then the confrontation with Goro to lead us to the true ending. Maybe something like "goro was possessed by an evil god the whole time" - leading to a boss fight against possessed goro, then a boss fight against the true god, and then at the end he's still alive and gets imprisoned or something. Totally wasn't expecting him to legit die and stay dead.

Anyone who thinks P4 is a better game than this is loving crazy. Also, the lead up to the true ending is about 100x better than P4's.

Artless Meat
Apr 7, 2008

Kay Kessler posted:

So if you're dating Ann when everyone first meets Sojiro does she still say she's single? Or is it like Chie in 4?

Friend just did it in NG+ and nothing changes about it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
God this game is great. I can't stop playing, However I have work today.
Playing this game completely blind. Loving everything
I'm at 12/8

haven't done the seventh palace yet.

I don't think i'll be able to max out all social links this playthrough.

the missing Social links are;

Empress and Emperor are hovering at R5
Fortune is at 9
Hanged is at 5
Hermit is at 7,
Lovers is at 9
Star is at 9
Hiero is at 5 or 6. Need max kindness, which I just managed to get.
Tower is at 8

Only social stat I haven't maxed yet is Guts, which is at 4

I think i'll just max guts 1st and go for a Max social link run on NG+

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
by the time you need guts 5 you'll have got it naturally in Ng+. Just try to max as many Slinks to get the carryover items.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Thank you,

I'll do that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

atholbrose posted:

Sega already made that game.

Persona 5 Crimson featuring Kazuma Kiryu™ from the Yakuza™ series WHEN

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Persona 5 Crimson featuring Kazuma Kiryu™ from the Yakuza™ series WHEN

The movie that Makoto takes you to is actually a documentary

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

I also didn't get max confidant rank. Empress, Emperor are at Rank 9 and Lovers is at rank 5

:(

I actually thought I could do it, but I made some mistakes.

That being said, I didn't do anything else. At all. No video games, no dvds, I was a member of the lonely hearts club, rarely watched movies. I read books, but then I found out to buy one of the books I need to play a game. Fail. Oops.

I am gonna do NG+, just so I can dodge chalks on my next run. And there is a choice in the beginning of the game where you can tell Igor something that you need to be rank 2 guts for, I think. Which is definitely for NG+, because that is so early, there is no way you can have rank 2 guts by then.

I want to do NG+ run...

But a fresh new game is also pretty fun to do.

Persona 5 is great, really great.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

JackDarko posted:

I beat the game after putting in 100 hours feeling pretty empty inside. Are there any good turn based RPG's to play that have come out in the last few years? I enjoyed Digimon Cyber Sleuth a lot especially with it being a blatant Persona clone.

How is Digimon Cyber Sleuth a Persona clone?

The main part of that game is raising digimon.

Maybe you meant Tokyo Mirage Sessions?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blademaster_Aio posted:

How is Digimon Cyber Sleuth a Persona clone?

The main part of that game is raising digimon.

Maybe you meant Tokyo Mirage Sessions?

No, he's right about it wanting to be Persona. You hang out in Tokyo with your friends, fusing Persona Digimon and helping out the locals in your spare time. Plus the general art style.

TMS came out after it by a good year or so anyway :v:.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

so after ending palace 1 i still have those 14 days left?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorGonzo posted:

so after ending palace 1 i still have those 14 days left?

Yup, every time. You just spend the time hoping the change of heart will occur.

Oh, and you sometimes can't hang out with some of your Party member Confidants before clearing the Palace, so sooner is generally better than later.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It's not a "sometimes" thing; once you reach the Treasure but haven't sent the calling card yet, they won't be available until you do that and beat the boss and if there's a week or less left on the time limit they stop being available regardless of whether you've reached the Treasure or not yet.

But, yeah, you can make that a non-issue by beating the Palace ASAP.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Instead of doing other more important things with my life, I am currently replaying P4G on my Vita to finish the 100% NG+ save file I started years ago.

People were commenting on the interesting parallels with P5 like the fact that the MC from 4 was from the city and moved to a small town and in 5 you're from a small town and move to a big city. I just started the Tower confidant in P4 and I realised that in 4 you're tutoring a kid and in 5 the kid is tutoring you. :getsmoked:

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, he's right about it wanting to be Persona. You hang out in Tokyo with your friends, fusing Persona Digimon and helping out the locals in your spare time. Plus the general art style.

TMS came out after it by a good year or so anyway :v:.

To me it just seems similar to the Digimon World DS and Digimon Dawn and Dusk.

Well, whatever.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Instead of doing other more important things with my life, I am currently replaying P4G on my Vita to finish the 100% NG+ save file I started years ago.

People were commenting on the interesting parallels with P5 like the fact that the MC from 4 was from the city and moved to a small town and in 5 you're from a small town and move to a big city. I just started the Tower confidant in P4 and I realised that in 4 you're tutoring a kid and in 5 the kid is tutoring you. :getsmoked:

I'd love to see Sae's expression when she asks you who taught you how to use a gun and you go "a grade school kid who plays video games all day".

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 8, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Artless Meat posted:

Friend just did it in NG+ and nothing changes about it.

That's cold, Ann :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Harrow posted:

That's cold, Ann :colbert:

"Oh, he's just my boy toy."