Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

wolrah posted:

Are you accessing the shares by name or IP address?

If by name, make sure the name resolves in DNS rather than relying on the Windows broadcasts. A freshly awakened PC might not have received the broadcast from the NAS by the time it attempts to connect to the shares.

Ah, I was doing it by name. I changed it to IP address and that fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
KODI 18 is going to support Leanback Android Voice search for Android TV users.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/04/28/kodi-18-will-support-leanback-suggestions-google-voice-search-android-tv/

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
For a few years now I've been using a Zbox running Libreelec but I think it's about to die. It started just shutting down in the middle of a movie, I guess because of heat or something.
Anyways, we have two uses with this, Netflix and Kodi. Now at the time I bought my Zbox Android wasn't even supported by Kodi, is it stable now? Because that would be my choice I guess, so I can get both Netflix and Kodi on the same box.
What would be my options here?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Le0 posted:

For a few years now I've been using a Zbox running Libreelec but I think it's about to die. It started just shutting down in the middle of a movie, I guess because of heat or something.
Anyways, we have two uses with this, Netflix and Kodi. Now at the time I bought my Zbox Android wasn't even supported by Kodi, is it stable now? Because that would be my choice I guess, so I can get both Netflix and Kodi on the same box.

Nvidia shield, mi box, or Amazon fire tv.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have an Nvidia shield and while it is on the more expensive size, it should last for quite a while and has 4k capability. Plus I can just exit out of Kodi if I want to run Netflix or Amazon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Bonzo posted:

I have an Nvidia shield and while it is on the more expensive size, it should last for quite a while and has 4k capability. Plus I can just exit out of Kodi if I want to run Netflix or Amazon.

You can even set it up to launch Netflix or Amazon from right inside Kodi.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Le0 posted:

If you're wanting local media, don't go with the Fire TV line. They don't have native NTFS support so it's a real hassle if you have alot of 4+ GB files.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Le0 posted:

Take it apart as far as you can, and use compressed air to blow out the dust that's undoubtedly blocking the airflow.
Put it back together again and keep using it.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Can anyone with a FireTV see if their Kodi app shows up on the recent apps lately? I have a full FireTV and have had Kodi installed the whole time I've owned it. With the recent software update that automatically pushed on the FireTV Kodi can only be accessed in from the settings menu. I am using Jarvis and haven't yet updated to Krypton.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Falco posted:

Can anyone with a FireTV see if their Kodi app shows up on the recent apps lately? I have a full FireTV and have had Kodi installed the whole time I've owned it. With the recent software update that automatically pushed on the FireTV Kodi can only be accessed in from the settings menu. I am using Jarvis and haven't yet updated to Krypton.

I've not had Kodi on the Home screen for my Fire sticks for years now, and I "purchased" them through their store when you could do that.

(BTW, is using FireStarter still the best way to do this, or is there a better method now?)

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Kodi shows up in recent on my firetv. Does FireStarter even still work? I haven't had that for a couple updates now I believe.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Yeah I thought FireStarter was dead, but now I can't remember why I thought that.

Kodi was on mine up until this update, and now it got stripped off.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

IUG posted:

I've not had Kodi on the Home screen for my Fire sticks for years now, and I "purchased" them through their store when you could do that.

(BTW, is using FireStarter still the best way to do this, or is there a better method now?)

Kodi shows up in the recent apps section on the front page and it will also show under 'your apps' on the front page and in the new app launcher when you hold down the home button to click 'my apps' (both of those will show every app on the box plus every app in the cloud and you can rearrange the order of the list)

Here's a few things you can do if it's not showing up for you.

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-get-kodi-to-show-up-on-the-home-screen-of-a-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 10, 2017

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Kodi shows up in the recent apps section on the front page and it will also show under 'your apps' on the front page and in the new app launcher when you hold down the home button to click 'my apps' (both of those will show every app on the box plus every app in the cloud and you can rearrange the order of the list)

Here's a few things you can do if it's not showing up for you.

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-get-kodi-to-show-up-on-the-home-screen-of-a-fire-tv-or-fire-tv-stick/

I'll try some of these when I get back home tonight. Thanks.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I keep seeing these Kodi demonstration videos featuring a version of Aeon Nox that looks completely different from the skin in the base Kodi installation. Example video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIiv-PJdi8g

I've played with all the skin options and I can't get anything remotely close to that. Like the album art doesn't even appear on the same side of the screen, it just looks like a completely different skin. I assume it's some type of mod not available in the official depository?

Another thing these videos have in common is that they provide absolutely no info in the description. And most google searching on the subject just leads me back to these videos. Could anyone point a brutha in the right direction?

btw I should clarify that I've got general Fanart and the Artist Slideshow working... even with that, the Aeon Nox I'm familiar with looks completely different than this. Fonts aren't the same, lots of screen real estate taken up by things I don't care for (like star ratings and the "up next" track title), no apparent support for artist clearart logos. (CD art doesn't work either, but I can't seem to get that one working in any other skin either so it's a different issue.)

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
That video is from 2011, Aeon has went through 10000000 iterations since then.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

EC posted:

That video is from 2011, Aeon has went through 10000000 iterations since then.
Ha yeah I just took a look at a whole thread that was just a "versions guide" for Aeon Nox. I think "MadNox" might be what I want. Apparently the modern default has moved away from the more CPU-intensive bells and whistles, to accommodate the wider range of devices that run Kodi these days. Whereas MadNox features all the old eye-candy and is intended for a decent PC hooked up to a TV.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Sorry to double-post; just wanted to see if there's an easy answer for this:
Is there a way to get all of your scraped music artwork into a normal-looking folder structure? I'd be fine with Kodi just dumping pics into my actual music library locations (ie. C:\Music\Beck contains "folder.jpg" for the artist thumbnail, "logo.png" for the clear logo, etc.). As far as I can tell, when Kodi pulls these images from the internet, they get stored in an obscure system of cache folders.

What's odd is that one artist folder is set up exactly how I would want it, and I have no idea what triggered it. The artist directory even had an "extrafanart" folder with like 10 slideshow images in it. So apparently some setting or add-on does exactly what I'm looking for here.

Again, I didn't actually put these here - Kodi did it, somehow, and I want it to do the same for all my artsts:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
What happens if you export your Kodi library? When I did that for my movie and TV libraries, it created XML and jpg files for everything stored with the video files.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Uthor posted:

What happens if you export your Kodi library? When I did that for my movie and TV libraries, it created XML and jpg files for everything stored with the video files.
This at least seems to dump the artist thumbs and fanart backgrounds into intuitive folders. It's a good start - thanks!

I'm actually installing MediaPortal now, just to try this addon I stumbled across. Sounds like it might handle the local organization of scraped fanart pretty well... if so I can run that overnight and just re-scan all the directories into Kodi later...

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
What's the best skin for Kodi on touchscreen devices? I'm running 17.1 on a Fire 7 using the default skin (Estuary) and it seems to be really unresponsive, a problem I haven't had with any other app. Not sure if it's the app or just the skin not being great for touchscreen stuff.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

GobiasIndustries posted:

What's the best skin for Kodi on touchscreen devices? I'm running 17.1 on a Fire 7 using the default skin (Estuary) and it seems to be really unresponsive, a problem I haven't had with any other app. Not sure if it's the app or just the skin not being great for touchscreen stuff.

Estouchy is basically Estuary for touchscreens.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Keito posted:

Estouchy is basically Estuary for touchscreens.

Why was this not the default skin when I instlaled Kodi? Holy hell it is much more responsive. Not perfect but far, far better. It didn't even show up in the list of downloadable skins until I relaunched the app twice :confused:

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
Because the version in the store runs on multiple devices, and they assume that the standalone boxes will have it installed more frequently than tablets and phones.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
It's at least installed by default - wonder why yours didn't have it. Did that stop with a recent release? I think the first-run Wizard used to point it out too, though most of us just skip that.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Minidust posted:

This at least seems to dump the artist thumbs and fanart backgrounds into intuitive folders. It's a good start - thanks!

I'm actually installing MediaPortal now, just to try this addon I stumbled across. Sounds like it might handle the local organization of scraped fanart pretty well... if so I can run that overnight and just re-scan all the directories into Kodi later...
Update on this -- MediaPortal was a bust, but it turns out Emby Server actually does what I want! I don't know much about Emby, but it appears to be similar to Plex. Not sure if I'll use the "server" features much, but what matters for my purposes right now is that it downloads all the artwork (including the elusive CDart!) into clearly-labeled artist & album folders. At far as I can tell it dumps the album-based content directly into your media library folders, with the artists handled in a separate, new directory. Close enough! It's a snap to drop those artist folders into my root directory, and populate the artist media library folders that way.

So I guess I'll run everything through Emby and then re-scan all the music into Kodi, with everything in Kodi set to prefer local data. And I guess my personal media will be ready for any other fanart-oriented software that I throw at it. Neat!

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Ixian posted:

It's at least installed by default - wonder why yours didn't have it. Did that stop with a recent release? I think the first-run Wizard used to point it out too, though most of us just skip that.

I dunno, I didn't install it from the store, I just downloaded it from kodi.tv and installed it manually. It only showed up when I clicked the Browse button. Either way, it's all good now :)

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
FYI, if you have any scripts or plugins that automatically download subtitles, you should probably disable them until 17.2 drops. There's a newly discovered remote code execution bug in Kodi, VLC, and some others that make it vulnerable.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Instant Sunrise posted:

FYI, if you have any scripts or plugins that automatically download subtitles, you should probably disable them until 17.2 drops. There's a newly discovered remote code execution bug in Kodi, VLC, and some others that make it vulnerable.

They just pushed out a patch for this.

https://kodi.tv/article/kodi-v172-minor-bug-fix-and-security-release

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
I'd like to mirror my PC to my Kodi RPi box - is this possible?

I have an nvidia card so Moonlight embedded looks like it might work:

http://moonlight-stream.com

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I tried cleaning my dieing zbox but to my surprise there was no dust inside when I opened it... I guess it's really going to die soon. I'm leaning on getting a shield, if all my files are stored on my NAS, is there any point getting the 500gb version? Going to use mainly kodi, Netflix and casting stuff.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Le0 posted:

So I tried cleaning my dieing zbox but to my surprise there was no dust inside when I opened it... I guess it's really going to die soon. I'm leaning on getting a shield, if all my files are stored on my NAS, is there any point getting the 500gb version? Going to use mainly kodi, Netflix and casting stuff.

The cheaper one apparently no longer has an IR receiver

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bigis posted:

I'd like to mirror my PC to my Kodi RPi box - is this possible?

I have an nvidia card so Moonlight embedded looks like it might work:

http://moonlight-stream.com

I've never personally had luck with Moonlight but there are a lot of people who seem to have found it useful. I've seen people use it with Kodi so I think you're on the right track.

That said, Steam Link goes on sale all the time and was even as low as $20 last week. If you want to stream your games to the couch it's a dedicated platform specifically designed and supported for that purpose. Depending on how much you value your time if you spend more than a few hours futzing with Moonlight you've probably justified the price of the product. Technically you can run Kodi on the Steam Link, but at this point that seems to involve a lot of futzing of it's own so I'm happy with my split setup. Pi handles all local and most streaming media playback with Kodi plus classic gaming with Retroarch, Steam Link handles modern gaming via my PC, and Chromecast handles all the streaming services that won't play nice with Kodi.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Senor Dog posted:

The cheaper one apparently no longer has an IR receiver
I upgeaded from an old zbox too, an ad02.

If you use a harmony remote, that IR reciever leaves much to be desired. it basically only supports the bare minimum, so if you have buttons for subtitles, watched/unwatched status, slow seek fast seek etc, those wont be supported. I ended up buying a FLIRC to solve and didnt end up using the native IR reciever.

wolrah posted:

That said, Steam Link goes on sale all the time and was even as low as $20 last week.

This is the way to go if you have an extra HDMI port honestly. I played with trying to get everything linked into the Shield (and retire my steam link) but it was just never. quite. right. Just get the steam link for pc games. Its on sale RIGHT NOW on amazon for $20. Like wolrah said, I spent enough time getting mad that it negated any benefit of putting them all into one box. If you have the HDMI space, just get it. :)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Buy the FLIRC for $20 off Amazon and kiss your IR problems goodbye with the Shield. I have them on all three of mine.

bigis
Jun 21, 2006

wolrah posted:

That said, Steam Link goes on sale all the time and was even as low as $20 last week.

I got Moonlight working but it's laggy on wireless n. I'll try it with an Ethernet cable and if it's still laggy I'll try the Steam Link instead. Thanks!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Ixian posted:

Buy the FLIRC for $20 off Amazon and kiss your IR problems goodbye with the Shield. I have them on all three of mine.

Do you just need the USB dongle plugged into the Shield or do you have to have it plugged into the raspberry Pi they also sell?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Bonzo posted:

Do you just need the USB dongle plugged into the Shield or do you have to have it plugged into the raspberry Pi they also sell?
The dongle is self-contained. I have one plugged into the front of my HTPC and it's great. I guess they just offer the package with the Pi as kind of a "starter kit" for people who want to get into that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bigis posted:

I got Moonlight working but it's laggy on wireless n. I'll try it with an Ethernet cable and if it's still laggy I'll try the Steam Link instead. Thanks!

If you're on wireless you might not be happy with Steam Link either unless you have a good 802.11ac setup. Anything on 5GHz tends to be better than anything on 2.4GHz though, so it'll almost certainly be an improvement over the Pi unless your wireless is old.

The wired one in my living room is awesome. The wireless one on my bedroom is good enough for a lot of games but definitely worse, with a Ubiquiti UniFi AC Pro as the AP about 40 feet away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Before I go through the headache of restoring my Shield, anyone know of a way to manually delete files?

I want to install Kodi, but it crashes at startup every time. Uninstalling leaves some files in the Kodi dir, and I can't seem to delete them from a file browser. I've posted on both the Shield and Kodi forums and haven't really gotten a good answer.