Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Oh no. Someone on D&D thinks I'm a bad person.

I dunno you've been a pretty bad person to me both in this thread and outside :\

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Oh no. Someone on D&D thinks I'm a bad person. lol Let's put it this way: I care more about the lives of those royal douchbags' falcons than I do for their owners. Maybe if they didn't want to get kidnapped they should have stayed out of southern Iraq.

You know I can't help but imagine if you were a Syrian Sunni in Damascus, back when the communal violence was really ratcheting up, I could see you saying something like this while watching one of your neighborhood's Alawite residents get lynched by an angry mob circa 2012: "reminder these are the same Alawites who brutally cracked down on Sunni protesters and retaliated against doctors and nurses that treated protestors injured during the crackdown. So pardon be if I find a little humor in seeing Shabiha douchbags getting what they deserve."

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Squalid posted:

You know I can't help but imagine if you were a Syrian Sunni in Damascus, back when the communal violence was really ratcheting up, I could see you saying something like this while watching one of your neighborhood's Alawite residents get lynched by an angry mob circa 2012: "reminder these are the same Alawites who brutally cracked down on Sunni protesters and retaliated against doctors and nurses that treated protestors injured during the crackdown. So pardon be if I find a little humor in seeing Shabiha douchbags getting what they deserve."

Except he didn't even have the country right as he had confused Qatar with Bahrain.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/04/politics/syria-mosque-march-strike-us-investigation/

We interrupt your regularly scheduled casual anti-Arab racism with some breaking news:

The United States has admitted that the mosque they blew up in Idlib was a mosque.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Lmao you're all super pissed about me saying I think it's funny that some rich royal guys got kidnapped and then ransomed for half a billion dollars. Try harder to make me feel bad about it because so far you're doing a poo poo job.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Al-Saqr posted:

I dunno you've been a pretty bad person to me both in this thread and outside :\

You know Al Saqr Darkman Fanpage's constant cheering for collective punishment and communal violence sticks out for me because he doesn't really contribute anything else, but I admit I'm just frustrated at how often it comes up in this thread generally, including when you often edge-up to that particularly ugly precipice. The lust for vengeance is one reason this conflict has become so hopeless.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Squalid posted:

It is interesting their release coincided with with the evacuation of Fua and Kefraya, which suggests to me Iran was involved as they have a history of using prisoners as political chips and only they could really coordinate such negotiations. It is good they have been released at least, along with the people of Fua and Kefraya who survived the bombing attack, hopefully the Iraqi government hasn't already handed the money over to Kata'ib Hezbollah already and can manage not to lose it off the back of a truck or otherwise.

Of course Iran was involved. It was one of their militias who did the kidnapping in the first place. Iraqi nationalists are pissed about it because of how much of a slap in the face it is to Iraq sovereignty. They only found out about the negotiations because they accidentally tripped over the ransom money? Good Lord.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Darkman Fanpage may have been a bit callous or bloodthirsty, but acting like he hates Arabs because he thinks royals are pieces of poo poo is weird. The people who really hate Arabs love the royals for oppressing them.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

Darkman Fanpage may have been a bit callous or bloodthirsty, but acting like he hates Arabs because he thinks royals are pieces of poo poo is weird. The people who really hate Arabs love the royals for oppressing them.

Only a couple of them were members of the royal family and they were abducted by a Shia terrorist group. He doesn't know a drat thing about any of them but thinks it's just hilarious that a bunch of civilians were kidnapped by a group who's burned people alive just for being Sunni, and then demanded money or else the captives would be murdered. And that money, if ended up passed on to them, will be used to finance their operations and lead to more sectarian violence. The whole thing is a real laugh riot. Almost as funny as when ISIS does it.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Their release was also in exchange for the transfer of civilians out of beseiged towns in Syrian so hey if some rich Qataris getting used as political pawns helped save the lives of civilians in a war zone all the better.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Only a couple of them were members of the royal family and they were abducted by a Shia terrorist group. He doesn't know a drat thing about any of them but thinks it's just hilarious that a bunch of civilians were kidnapped by a group who's burned people alive just for being Sunni, and then demanded money or else the captives would be murdered. And that money, if ended up passed on to them, will be used to finance their operations and lead to more sectarian violence. The whole thing is a real laugh riot. Almost as funny as when ISIS does it.

I'm not saying he's right, just that I don't think racial hatred of Arabs is what's informing his perspective, and it's pretty lovely for people to suggest that's what's going on. "gently caress those aristocrats" isn't that unusual a perspective to have, though in this situation it's obviously pretty callous and probably short-sighted.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Sinteres posted:

I'm not saying he's right, just that I don't think racial hatred of Arabs is what's informing his perspective, and it's pretty lovely for people to suggest that's what's going on. "gently caress those aristocrats" isn't that unusual a perspective to have, though in this situation it's obviously pretty callous and probably short-sighted.

Somehow I don't think he'd have a similar view if a bunch of Americans were abducted by ISIS on their vacation.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I'll just put my own perspective and say nah, I'd feel exactly the same about a bunch of rich American tourists falconing in Southern Iraq getting picked up and ransomed. I'd hardly wish for their kidnap, but there are far worse tragedies it's hard to feel much sympathy for a bunch of princes.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Volkerball posted:

Somehow I don't think he'd have a similar view if a bunch of Americans were abducted by ISIS on their vacation.

Are you telling me you wouldn't think it was funny if Chelsea Clinton or Eric Trump or that guy who got away with vehicular manslaughter by claiming "affluenza" got kidnapped in the middle east?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Volkerball posted:

I would throw a loving party if the Waltons were kidnapped.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

Are you telling me you wouldn't think it was funny if Chelsea Clinton or Eric Trump or that guy who got away with vehicular manslaughter by claiming "affluenza" got kidnapped in the middle east?

If Ethan Couch was in the Middle East, it would be a far better place than where he is right now, which is Texas state prison.

Edit: just to keep from derailing, "Affluenza" kid got probation and to go to rehab and stay away from drugs and alcohol. Video of him surfaced him drinking and playing beer pong, violating his probation. His parents, hearing that his probation was being revoked, took him to Mexico to hideout. Mexican authorities found them, deported them, and they were arrested upon arriving to the U.S. Currently, he's serving a 2 year sentence.

The law hates it when you mock them.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 7, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Volkerball posted:

As the last few posts have shown, this is really the wrong forum to assume people don't want the rich killed regardless of nationality.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ChairMaster posted:

Make it a package deal with Martin Shkreli and, say, Walter Palmer.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
So an Iraqi Shia militia captured a bunch of Qatari and Saudi royals, and used them for leverage to get people to safety in Syria. The hostages were release unharmed thereafter. Shiites, as we know from Volkerball, relentlessly murder and torture all Sunnis who fall into their grasp, totally unlike the Sunni militias in Syria who have never harmed a hair on any Shia head. Likewise, the Qatari and Saudi royals families have never bankrolled any Sunni militias in Syria (or Iraq for that matter either), and even if they had, no Shiite has ever been harmed by them, ever.

Volkerball is a man of peace who bears no ill will towards any Shia, and who surely only wishes them all to accept the natural rulership of peacefully Sunnis like him who know what's best. Or else.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:rolleyes: The Fua and Kefraya deals aren't something Qatar would have any influence in, and deals over the two cities have been made several times in the past. Safe to say the concession Qatar made was paying an assload of money.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Sinteres posted:

As the last few posts have shown, this is really the wrong forum to assume people don't want the rich killed regardless of nationality.

I'm in favor of killing the rich as long as they are then eaten. Otherwise it's a waste.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yesterday there was a large methane explosion in a mine in northeastern Iran. So far the death toll looks to be around a couple dozen. It's a major disaster by Iranian standards, so Rouhani swung by there as part of his campaigning for re-election next week. Rural Iran is not exactly his base of power, however, and a lot of these guys were still covered in dust from trying to dig out bodies/survivors. The scenes were...tense. He's in the black SUV.

https://twitter.com/potkazar/status/861303725671010304

https://twitter.com/potkazar/status/861458770857267200

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
My country is full of retards

http://twitter.com/Sargon_of_Akkad/status/861196505478201344

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I think you'll find he was a clever puppet master, he actually likes people calling him a retard. Did you see how many people thought he was as dumb as his tweet sounded? More fools them. He was only pretending.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

It's alright, we're still fine. Sargon is just the smartest of the idiots.

Then again, his gimmicks also involves acting like an idiot. I still honestly don't know what his exact endgame is other than shitposting and having fun with it.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Then again, his gimmicks also involves acting like an idiot. I still honestly don't know what his exact endgame is other than shitposting and having fun with it.

I keep forgetting that Sargon and the youtube guy with the carefully placed skulls are different people.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So add Jimmy Dore to the list of people I won't be listening to any more. He had some "journalist" on talking about how there is no war in Syria just CIA crisis actors and Saudi mercenaries.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Volkerball posted:

Yesterday there was a large methane explosion in a mine in northeastern Iran. So far the death toll looks to be around a couple dozen. It's a major disaster by Iranian standards, so Rouhani swung by there as part of his campaigning for re-election next week. Rural Iran is not exactly his base of power, however, and a lot of these guys were still covered in dust from trying to dig out bodies/survivors. The scenes were...tense. He's in the black SUV.

In an election season too. I'm surprised people in Iran can even get that close to the president, even in a disaster. I figured the ol staged media event would be the preferred option.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Volkerball posted:

So those miners are going to end up in jail aren't they... :(

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Eh I'd think not, repression of grieving/improverished workers during an electoral campaign would be bad for the leadership at a time when they want to look their most empathic.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Plus this is probably a good time to act humble and contrite and unveil some half-baked solution to the miners' problems that your surrogates can trumpet for you.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Charliegrs posted:

Iran is not Saudi Arabia or the US, so they'll be fine.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

3peat posted:

Iran is not Saudi Arabia or the US, so they'll be fine.

Iran leads the world in executions per capita based on what human rights organizations have been able to put light on around the world. That said, I wouldn't expect a major crackdown on the miners. That would be pretty reckless politically, and Iran is generally more pragmatic than that. The regime definitely isn't going to forget who was involved though. They hold a grudge like no other.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Making a living in a post-Cameron UK.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Charliegrs posted:

My money's on disappeared.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

So apparently the SDF is walking back that Guardian article calling for a route to the sea, but aren't backing down about Idlib. Meanwhile, the Syrian regime seems to trying to make nice with them and defended them against Turkish accusations that they wanted to make an independent Kurdistan. Strange bedfellows, but it does seem like the regime and Rojava are on the same side for now. I blame the Turks, personally.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
TURKISH JETS CONTINUE AIR RAIDS IN KURDISTAN REGION

http://www.nrttv.com/EN/Details.aspx?Jimare=14366

RIP to those slain in these continuous attacks.

Erdogan is murderous. I fear this will only continue to get worse.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

WarpedNaba posted:

My money's on disappeared.

Most likely. I have yet to hear from a friend of mine from Tehran that disappeared years ago.

Then again, they might just get a slap on the wrist and harassed a few times.

The news is starting to come in from Azadshahr to Gorgan and it sounds bad. Again, the most common response from what I've heard so far is :smith:. Life is improving slightly in Gorgan and Iran as a whole, but still not enough for people to find distractions from these tragedies.

One common positive attitude among people is that now more and more people are starting feel disassociated and more distant from the establishment, to the point that even the poverty, peasant and working class are getting tired of the mullas.

Khamenei is not getting any younger and change is inevitable. People are willing to welcome even the smallest change at this point.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Trump just approved a plan to arm the SDF, which seems like something we've heard before, so I don't know what exactly differentiates it from previous plans. Erdogan's going to be pissed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Sinteres posted:

Trump just approved a plan to arm the SDF, which seems like something we've heard before, so I don't know what exactly differentiates it from previous plans. Erdogan's going to be pissed though.

Anti air weaponry, insh'allah

https://twitter.com/Hammurabi_News/status/861908526117138432
More US involvement in southern Syria, working with the artists formerly known as The New Syrian Army, Maghaweir Al Thowra

Maghaweir Al Thowra have been seriously busy during the month of April

1. April

9. May

It's worth noting that almost this entire southern region, the hamad, is mostly just a combination of steppes and desert, with very few notable points of interests, so progress is about as swift as you can drive until you meet a checkpoint or an IED- which goes both ways, as it's (almost) equally impossible to control for the FSA as it is for ISIS, with the former perhaps having a slight leg up in terms of intel and maybe air support if they're working with Jordan and coalition forces- Interestingly, and apropos of nothing, this puts FSA area of operations within 70 km of Deir Ezzor, which is about half of the distance between Deir and the closest (non-SDF) SAA position.

• Locked thread