Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

xtothez posted:

Looking at AoS free rules, those damage charts only seem to kick in around ~10 wounds so that's pretty likely. I think we'll only see degradation on oval base monsters, larger tanks like Land Raiders/Obelisks, and super-heavies.

Ok, now *that's* pretty interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
How did firing range work before? Could all models target a unit if one could fire, or just ones in range?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

How did firing range work before? Could all models target a unit if one could fire, or just ones in range?

all the models in a unit could shoot at a target if they were in range of it (e.g. measure from the base of each model), but the whole unit had to shoot at the same target, unless one had the Split Fire special rule. Now you can have the members of the unit shoot at different targets.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

TheChirurgeon posted:

all the models in a unit could shoot at a target if they were in range of it (e.g. measure from the base of each model), but the whole unit had to shoot at the same target, unless one had the Split Fire special rule. Now you can have the members of the unit shoot at different targets.

Gotcha. So if before, Terry the Distraction Carnifex lingered 24 inches away from a firing line, only the closest parts of the line could fire. Now, the rest of the unit can shoot at some Hormagaunts creeping up from the sides.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

Gotcha. So if before, Terry the Distraction Carnifex lingered 24 inches away from a firing line, only the closest parts of the line could fire. Now, the rest of the unit can shoot at some Hormagaunts creeping up from the sides.

Yeah. Or really, the more common scenario--Lascannon Joe can shoot at Terry while Bolter Joes fire at Hormogaunts and get the most out of their weapons.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah. Or really, the more common scenario--Lascannon Joe can shoot at Terry while Bolter Joes fire at Hormogaunts and get the most out of their weapons.

I think it's fitting that these rules help to kill Tyranids more effectively.

Is there a crying Carnifex emote yet?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Re: Splitfire - I'm guessing the split is done by weapon type. So a regular tactical squad would go: Bolters can fire at one target, Special weapon can fire at a 2nd and the heavy weapon can fire at a 3rd.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Seems like another strong buff for ranged, then, but at least in a way that makes it more intuitive. Hopefully the strength/toughness changes will let them justify more T on assault units, because now one point of toughness is a 1/6 boost to survivability.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

TKIY posted:

I think it's fitting that these rules help to kill Tyranids more effectively.

Is there a crying Carnifex emote yet?

possibly. Though keep in mind that current indications are that hormogaunts have at least 8" for their MV value now, so they may end up taking fewer rounds of shooting

Pawl
Sep 9, 2006

I'm seeing this from an AoS perspective.

white primer uber alles

TKIY posted:

But Dreads now have a 3+ against those, or a 2+ if they can get cover. Plus 8 wounds.

In AOS Matched Play anything with the MONSTER keyword cannot benefit from cover, I suspect that 40k will have similar restrictions.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Also although bolters can wound dreads on a 5+, before they used to be able to glance on a 6+ against rear armour and only needed 3 of those to outright kill. The dread would need to be in cover to even get a save, and it meant a squad of 10 could easily rapid fire a dread down if they got behind it. Overall much more survivable.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I was going to make a chart to compare the new and old charts, but luckily I thought to check and make sure someone else hadn't already done it:

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Actually GW confirmed it's by individual model.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
This chart looks way more flexible than the last one, and bolter fire being twice as likely to hit makes desperation gunfire much more valuable. I like this.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I was going to make a chart to compare the new and old charts, but luckily I thought to check and make sure someone else hadn't already done it:

this is cool--thanks for making it!

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Split fire is cool and good. Going to be interesting to see how they deal with timings. If I can split fire my Lascannon at a rhino and pop it, can the other dudes then shoot at the passengers etc.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Fuegan posted:

Split fire is cool and good. Going to be interesting to see how they deal with timings. If I can split fire my Lascannon at a rhino and pop it, can the other dudes then shoot at the passengers etc.

I'm assuming you declare in order.

I wonder if 'you can only assault the target you shot' still exists?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I'd guess it's still the same process, declare targets then resolve shots.

TheChirurgeon posted:

this is cool--thanks for making it!

Oh, no I didn't make it, some dude from Dakka did.

It really changes what the Mark of Nurgle is useful for.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
I really hope you have to declare all your shoots at once, rolling one guy at a time to get optimal results would be so annoying. Dont dislike everything getting split fire, dont understand how that is considered "stream lining" as now instead of having to figure out what my unit is going to fire at I have to figure out what every model is going to fire at, but I don't mind 4 hour long games.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I'd guess it's still the same process, declare targets then resolve shots.

Oh, no I didn't make it, some dude from Dakka did.

It really changes what the Mark of Nurgle is useful for.

ah, fair enough. Yeah it looks like it's slightly worse vs small arms (S3) and slightly better vs higher-S weapons (7/8/9)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I think it's funny that we'll finally have a game where every dude in the tactical squad can potentially hurt the same target, and only now do we get to split their fire up. I think it's a good change though, I never thought I'd see the day where the one of everything devastator squads would actually be potentially useful.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I think this article retroactively makes our Morkanaut statline a bit better, too, since we have more context for its S-T values.

2/3rds of a taq sqaud's shots will hit the Gorkanaut, but only 1/6th will wound (S4 vs. T8), for a net of 1/9 shots landing. At save 3+, the naut will shrug off 2/3rds of those, for 1 in 27 shots actually landing. At 18 wounds, that's 486 shots on average to stop that Naut with small arms fire.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
There was a dude in my gaming group years ago who would brag about how his army list could put 78 heavy bolter shots down range and all this "X unit would take Y lasgun shots to kill it" talk reminds me of him.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

SRM posted:

There was a dude in my gaming group years ago who would brag about how his army list could put 78 heavy bolter shots down range and all this "X unit would take Y lasgun shots to kill it" talk reminds me of him.

"I don't want your damned THEORETICALS, give me the PRACTICALS."

Uh, that's a lot of heavy bolters. What was he doing? Just running a bunch of maxed out HB devastators?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
If heavy bolters get a -1 save mod I think they're actually gonna be pretty drat scary when spammed. They'll put out enough shots for anything under T10 to take some hurt.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheChirurgeon posted:

Stripping is generally much easier for metal models because the solvents that melt plastic won't touch metal, so you can use poo poo like pine sol if you want.

good progress, keep it up! How are you doing your whites? You may get good results by edging the bluer bolters with pure white.

There's nothing white on the minis other than the transfers and the bolter highlight. The bolters are done using P3 frostbite, which is a bluish-grey, and they're edged with white.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

SRM posted:

Yeah, sorry about that. I think we're all a bit hungry for numbers at the moment, so with no special abilities or weapon rules we're just doing Bolter Math.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

MasterSlowPoke posted:

This is cool but slightly innaccurate for the old chart - if the T is 4 higher than the S (or higher) then you can't wound, even on a 6. e.g. S3 vs T7.

Zark the Damned fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 8, 2017

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
On a side note I just started playing Eternal Crusade and eh. It needs more maps and a few tweaks but overall not horrible.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Okay, thousand sons are pretty rad too, but how do you even collect them? Start with a regular CSM box and supplement with the unique boys or go all in on the evil space Egyptians?

Thousand Sons are troop choices in a Thousand Sons army (normally they're elite) and that's probably unlikely to change. Tzaangors are also troop choices as well as being rad models. The current spiffy formations (War Coven, Sekhmet Conclave etc) are going away. But there will be something similar to the current Combined Arms detachment. I wouldn't make any big purchases right now, but having said that, do not get the current CSM box. The kit is old and we're possibly going to get a new one soonish. Don't buy anything in finecast either if you can. Life is too short to deal with finecast.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GreenMarine posted:

"I don't want your damned THEORETICALS, give me the PRACTICALS."

Uh, that's a lot of heavy bolters. What was he doing? Just running a bunch of maxed out HB devastators?

I think it was heavy bolter devs and landspeeders with shitloads of heavy bolters.

Geoff Zahn posted:

On a side note I just started playing Eternal Crusade and eh. It needs more maps and a few tweaks but overall not horrible.

Punching Rhinos so hard they run over other players is great, the rest is a janky as hell Space Marine with maps that are too big and don't direct combat very well at all.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
HBs could be nice though.

If it's -1 armor save and d3 damage like I expect, you need 9 unsaved HB hits to drop that T8 3+ armor 18w walker. 4+ save means you need 18 wounds, and with T8 vs S5 that means 54 hits. That's about 80 HB shots at BS4, or the output of 27 heavy bolters. That's not actually that far behind lascannons, which need 14 shots. So you need less than twice the number of heavy bolters as lascannons to drop a gorkanaut with these assumptions.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 8, 2017

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

chutche2 posted:

HBs could be nice though.

If it's -1 armor save and d3 damage like I expect, you need 9 unsaved HB hits to drop that T8 3+ armor 18w walker. 4+ save means you need 18 wounds, and with T8 vs S5 that means 54 hits. That's about 80 HB shots at BS4, or the output of 27 heavy bolters. That's not actually that far behind lascannons, which need 14 shots. So you need less than twice the number of heavy bolters as lascannons to drop a gorkanaut with these assumptions.

You think Heavy Bolters are going to do 1d3 damage? I would be pretty surprised if they change much from just being 3 shots, strength 5, 1 damage, and -1 to armor save. I imagine Meltas will be 1 shot, strength 8, a 1d3 damage unless you are in melta range then they will be a 1d6, and - 3 to armor. Plasma guns I imagine will be rapid fire, strength 7, 2 damage, -2 to armor, plasma cannons will do like 1d3 hits which could make them a lot worse if you are rolling several more gets hot rolls.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Of loving course the new wounding system is basically a gigantic middle finger to Tyranids. Why, I wonder if Cruddace might be in charge of the design team.

https://twitter.com/GamesWerkshop/status/861644536367509504

Yes, yes he is. gently caress you Crud.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
^^^ haha

JesusIsTehCool posted:

You think Heavy Bolters are going to do 1d3 damage? I would be pretty surprised if they change much from just being 3 shots, strength 5, 1 damage, and -1 to armor save. I imagine Meltas will be 1 shot, strength 8, a 1d3 damage unless you are in melta range then they will be a 1d6, and - 3 to armor. Plasma guns I imagine will be rapid fire, strength 7, 2 damage, -2 to armor, plasma cannons will do like 1d3 hits which could make them a lot worse if you are rolling several more gets hot rolls.

We'll see. Back in the day, Meltaguns did 1d6 wounds and Multi-meltas did 2D12. But then again, Lascannons did 2D6, so it seems like they're toning things down a bit from 2nd edition damage rules (which were kind of pointless anyways, given how few wounds most things had).

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
What makes the new wound system especially bad for Tyranids, if I can ask?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

We'll see. Back in the day, Meltaguns did 1d6 wounds and Multi-meltas did 2D12. But then again, Lascannons did 2D6, so it seems like they're toning things down a bit from 2nd edition damage rules (which were kind of pointless anyways, given how few wounds most things had).
I flipped through a copy of the 2nd ed weapons manual recently and I was amazed at some of the damage values. It's not like a bunch of models had 10+ wounds, it seemed like complete overkill. Seems like it'll actually matter in 8th and I'm honestly all for Instant Death going away. Yeah, some weapons will still effectively be the same thing with a good damage roll, but at least it's not guaranteed.

Too real, man. Too real.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Bee posted:

Seconding this, I don't really get it.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Zuul the Cat posted:

Tyranids are wounded on a 2+ :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

The Bee posted:

Zuul the Cat posted:

Sigh...

Guys. GUYS. "GamesWerkshop" is a joke account

Safety Factor posted:

I flipped through a copy of the 2nd ed weapons manual recently and I was amazed at some of the damage values. It's not like a bunch of models had 10+ wounds, it seemed like complete overkill. Seems like it'll actually matter in 8th and I'm honestly all for Instant Death going away. Yeah, some weapons will still effectively be the same thing with a good damage roll, but at least it's not guaranteed.

Yeah it was pretty comical, because nothing really had the ability to withstand that. like, looking at the 2nd ed Chaos Codex, Bloodthirsters and Great Unclean Ones topped the charts at W10 each, The LOC and KOS had 7, and none of the marine characters got above 4. Except for like, Kharn, who had an awesome rule where he had 6 wounds because it took way more punishment to bring him down

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 19:38 on May 8, 2017

• Locked thread