Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This is loving excellent television. We're unworthy.

I mean, goddamn. :stare: I'll admit, I found Garvey Sr Hour slow, but also necessary. It's this kind of poo poo that makes it worth it.

One question: did I miss something with the end. There was an explosion... In the hotel? Are we meant to believe that it's tied directly to the book lit on fire? I know Nora was shown at the end, but maybe that was some sort of quick flashback to right before the explosion? That's a stretch, I know. I was rocking my son and I thought I missed something when all that was going down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is loving excellent television. We're unworthy.

I mean, goddamn. :stare: I'll admit, I found Garvey Sr Hour slow, but also necessary. It's this kind of poo poo that makes it worth it.

One question: did I miss something with the end. There was an explosion... In the hotel? Are we meant to believe that it's tied directly to the book lit on fire? I know Nora was shown at the end, but maybe that was some sort of quick flashback to right before the explosion? That's a stretch, I know. I was rocking my son and I thought I missed something when all that was going down.

For real. This is the best thing I've ever seen on TV. I don't care if the next 10 shows Lindelof does are garbage, I will always watch anything he does.

No you didn't miss anything, we don't know what exploded yet. Sepinwall mentioned that in his (excellent) review.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Yeah, the explosion was not in the hotel. I don't think they'd ground all flights because there was an explosion in a hotel.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Not at the hotel and not caused by Kevin, despite him looking up at the building immediately after hearing about it. The show seemed to be doing that cheap narrative trick where somebody refers to an event the audience hasn't been privy to like it's common knowledge, and we'll find out about it later in a big "ohhhh" moment.

Based on the preview for next week I think the "explosion" was somewhere else in Melbourne - maybe the airport? Because Matt, Laurie and John's flight is diverted for some reason.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

They did say that airports were shut down because of the explosion.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
I dunno if it was the music at the end and I'm too dumb to get some sick connection but I felt like the end left me a little cold and confused, though their argument was weighty and poo poo is starting to pop off.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

I'm like 70% sure that if they actually make big dick Kevin Jesus in this show that I'll convert to this religion in my real life that's how good this show is

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Is it going to be an atomic explosion? After all, the guy at the airport was freaking out over nuclear fall out.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Ugh, it is called the State Library not the Melbourne library, that doesn't exist. Worst show. Also funnily enough the 570 bus does exist, but the destination of Eastwood does not, also the 570 doesn't go anywhere near the city as it is a shuttle service from a train station to a university campus out in the suburbs.

Octy posted:

Melburnians have really weird accents.

Melbournian.

Also, not many n that episode talked normally except the tv host woman who is actually a tv show host. Maybe the old man at the bus stop and the hotel valet too but the guy in the laneway was hamming it up, what Americans think Australians talk like.

Good episode, not as good as last weeks but still good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

drunkill posted:

Melbournian.

I loudly groaned when Chris Eccleston said the name in the trailer for the upcoming episode. I know he's playing an American, but I honestly hoped he'd get it right. Melbourn was one of his lot after all (though I suspect he'd take offence at my considering a "lord" to be one of "his lot", he's quite outspoken about class stuff.)

Mel-ben, not Mel-born, with the emphasis on the Mel part.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

2% of the world also disappeared, that did not happen in real life either. Immersion ruined.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If anyone was wondering the two scientists were talking in different languages to each other. The main one with the glasses was speaking in Dutch but the other one was speaking in something else, Russian[?] maybe.

It probably doesn't mean anything and was just the director saying "uhh just sound foreign and speak in your firsts language I guess" but was really weird and interesting to hear.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

At the start, I was honestly kind of bored with the whole Kevin chasing 'Evie' plot; it just felt way too telegraphed that it was a delusion/psychotic episode just the way the Patti thing had been.

But once it got to the phone call with Laurie where she got him to look at the picture again, goddamn the rest of the episode was great. The lighting where Kevin and Nora argued as the book burned in the sink where you could see the light from the flames against Nora's face in shots of her and smoke rising behind Kevin in shots of him just looked really cool, and that final close up of Nora with the water streaming down her face was just a beautiful, melancholy shot.

I'm also wondering if the whole thing with being turned down had to do not with the actual response, but in the way they responded. The question was 'Do you nod?' Self-immolation guy last week asked Kevin sr. 'Would you kill a baby if it would cure cancer?' 'No.' 'That is exactly what I said.' and Nora finally said 'Of course I nod.' Who knows, the 'correct' answer they could have been looking for could have just been nodding or shaking your head.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I'm not really getting the Nora plot. It's obviously a scam, everything about it just screams scam. But Nora really seems to believe in it on some level. Why would a trained fraud investigator fall for this? She must have seen this poo poo a million times already over the years, why would this one crack her?

Boris Galerkin posted:

If anyone was wondering the two scientists were talking in different languages to each other. The main one with the glasses was speaking in Dutch but the other one was speaking in something else, Russian[?] maybe.

Yeah, it was Russian.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

LadyPictureShow posted:

I'm also wondering if the whole thing with being turned down had to do not with the actual response, but in the way they responded. The question was 'Do you nod?' Self-immolation guy last week asked Kevin sr. 'Would you kill a baby if it would cure cancer?' 'No.' 'That is exactly what I said.' and Nora finally said 'Of course I nod.' Who knows, the 'correct' answer they could have been looking for could have just been nodding or shaking your head.

It's definitely the way they react to rejection that matters, which implies that it's not a scam. If it were a scam they wouldn't turn people away, would they?

OR it is a scam and they're just gaslighting and plan to accept them after some time passes.

Makes me wonder, if it's legit then why the test at all? Only cool-headed people can be microwaved?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

El Jeffe posted:

It's definitely the way they react to rejection that matters, which implies that it's not a scam. If it were a scam they wouldn't turn people away, would they?

OR it is a scam and they're just gaslighting and plan to accept them after some time passes.

They have either sorted her out for being a potential troublemaker and not worth the risk or they are gaslighting her into coming to them.

quote:

Makes me wonder, if it's legit then why the test at all? Only cool-headed people can be microwaved?

It's a big show to sell the gaslighting better.

I mean, I'm not dismissing that it's real, after all, this is a show about literal magic, but I think it would be a cheap cop-out and don't think they would do this.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I loudly groaned when Chris Eccleston said the name in the trailer for the upcoming episode. I know he's playing an American, but I honestly hoped he'd get it right. Melbourn was one of his lot after all (though I suspect he'd take offence at my considering a "lord" to be one of "his lot", he's quite outspoken about class stuff.)

Mel-ben, not Mel-born, with the emphasis on the Mel part.

If only 8% of Americans have ever heard of Melbourne and pronounce it wrong, and I guarantee you more than that have and do, that's​ more people than in all of Australia.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

The baby killing question is probably just one step in a longer process where it doesn't matter which answer you give nor even your immediate reaction at the time.

JethroMcB posted:

Not at the hotel and not caused by Kevin, despite him looking up at the building immediately after hearing about it.

I think you mean, "Him."

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Lindelof has already shown that when push comes to shove on science or faith he goes with faith. I am looking forward to him doing it again because A) I think he can deliver and B) I will be highly amused by people that hate stuff not "100% backed in science" in their fictional TV shows being angry.

It reminds me of how negatively some people reacted any X-Files dealing with Scully and her Christian faith.

God? Give me a break, this is stupid! I want more episodes about killer trees or alien bounty hunters. At least that stuff could really happen.
:goonsay:

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I'm not really getting the Nora plot. It's obviously a scam, everything about it just screams scam. But Nora really seems to believe in it on some level. Why would a trained fraud investigator fall for this? She must have seen this poo poo a million times already over the years, why would this one crack her?
Because she's desperate and suicidal. She smashed her arm in a car door on purpose (and used to have people shoot her). The scam aspect of this thing enrages her but there's also a darker reason for her interest in it

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

Because she's desperate and suicidal. She smashed her arm in a car door on purpose (and used to have people shoot her). The scam aspect of this thing enrages her but there's also a darker reason for her interest in it

Yeah. It's sometimes hard to remember this with her and EVEN when she's showing how crazy and hosed up she is, she/Carrie coon does such a good job that I'm constantly like "eh she's not that THAT hosed up" because I buy her bs. At least for me

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

drunkill posted:

Melbournian.

I quote a bunch of dead kids from Melbourne Grammar.

Melburnian posted:

'The diphthong, ‘ou’ is not a Latin diphthong: hence, we argued this way, Melburnia would be [the] Latin form of name, and from it comes Melburnian.'

We in Sydney, at least, spell it 'Melburnian'.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Anybody else disappointed in the intro? The music is cool but I don't like that they didn't go with something visually different. It would have been interesting if each season had a completely different intro.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

So far, the only alternative music that's synchronized well with the credit sequence was the Perfect Strangers theme. The other two songs haven't really gelled with the visuals.

I agree it would have been better to have a totally new intro for season 3. The two sequences feel like examples of what different in-universe artists would create in response to the departure, and it would have been nice to pursue that theme again with yet another take.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 9, 2017

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

So far, the only alternative music that's synchronized well with the credit sequence was the Perfect Strangers theme. The other two songs haven't really gelled with the visuals.

I agree it would have been better to have a totally new intro for season 3. The two sequences feel like examples of what different in-universe artists would create in response to the departure, and it would have been nice to pursue that theme again with yet another take.

The first season intro was great, but Let the Mystery Be really grew on me.

smashtcrusht
Oct 30, 2013

Internet Mature Dude
This show is really awesome and we are spoiled loving rotten finding ways to complain they didn't give us a better intro and that's OK.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I read in an article that they didn't have the funds to create a new opening image sequence for the third season because of the reduced budget for the final season, and that Lindelof didn't want the second and third seasons to have the same opening while season one was the lone one out, so they went with a different song for each episode to make it distinct from season two but not have to redo the whole thing.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I thought they were going to go with no intro after that first episode and that would have been pretty badass.

I always loved LOST's lack of full intro.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I worked at a school where the admissions and marketing department had come up with a media campaign that was going to be random shots of students around campus with one student per shot silhouetted as a placeholder for potential students. A sort of, this could be you! type thing. When I heard the idea I said, "Oh, just like The Leftovers;" but no one on the committee watched the show. I showed them the intro. Afterwards, they were all speechless and left with this look of horror on their face. The Dean of Admissions finally broke the silence and said, "Well, that was loving terrifying. We can't do that."

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
It wasn't the answer that made them back off Nora. It was the way she answered it. They wanted someone who answered Yes or No right there as that's the kind of person they'd want using their machine. They don't want people who would sit there trying to rationalize their action. At least that's my take.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

smashtcrusht posted:

This show is really awesome and we are spoiled loving rotten finding ways to complain they didn't give us a better intro and that's OK.

This show is a masterpiece every single week and I'm eternally grateful to everyone involved.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

drunkill posted:

Ugh, it is called the State Library not the Melbourne library, that doesn't exist. Worst show.

?? That's what they refer to it as in the show:

I think only Laurie calls it the "Melbourne library" because she isn't from there??

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

I have a wife and a daughter and a house and a good job and if someone offered me a shot to see my brother (died 5 years ago) again, I would at least consider it for a split second. If you live in a world where supernatural poo poo happens, I can see going nah this is dumb but maybe there's a chance? I mean she lost three kids.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Wow. This show is the perfect combination of crazy and feels.

@scamtalk:

If it was a scam why target a scam investigator with cop boyfriend? Talk about risky. Anything is possible I guess, but if it were a scam it seems like a poorly run one. Unless the idea is to come back and pump for more money. Realistically Nora is desperate enough that she would have given any amount of money they had asked and that much is quite clear.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that episode was intense. It's amazing how hosed up Nora and Kev's relationship is. Watching it completely come unravelled this episode was spectacular.

It was also really weird watching Melbourne on a Hollywood production. Made me realise how little it's actually happened. Looked amazing too.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Supercar Gautier posted:

According to this episode, everyone who had committed to entering the machine is now a missing person. If everyone was just killing themselves in their own way out of despair, they wouldn't be missing, they'd be on record as suicides.

Unless the people in the testimonies have all left their lives and joined the scam, like an alternate form of the GR, and the testimonies were faked.

Because being a fraud investigator makes it easier to lie to herself and tell herself she's just investigating. Also, not only did her kids depart but now she's lost Lily too so she's even more emotionally vulnerable than usual.

El Jeffe posted:

If it were a scam they wouldn't turn people away, would they?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 9, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

IMB posted:

I mean she lost three kids.

Two kids and a husband, though it all depends on how much she ran the house.

Also, am I just making stuff up in my mind, or was it briefly mentioned that her husband had been cheating on her?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Two kids and a husband, though it all depends on how much she ran the house.

Also, am I just making stuff up in my mind, or was it briefly mentioned that her husband had been cheating on her?

Three kids if you include Lily. And yes, he was.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Yeah. It's sometimes hard to remember this with her and EVEN when she's showing how crazy and hosed up she is, she/Carrie coon does such a good job that I'm constantly like "eh she's not that THAT hosed up" because I buy her bs. At least for me
Yeah, never forget this is a woman who deals with grief by hiring prostitutes to shoot her in the chest and yells at strangers in bars about moving on being impossible. She's clinging onto any threads of hope she can find that she'll see her kids again. I figure that's why she didn't freak out when she found Kevin with a bag over his head - she's done way weirder poo poo than that.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Unless the people in the testimonies have all left their lives and joined the scam, like an alternate form of the GR, and the testimonies were faked.
The big climax at the end of every season so far has involved the GR. Season 1 it was them putting all the dummies in peoples' houses and the compound burning down. Season 2 it was the twist that the girls joined the GR and weren't missing. I would not be shocked at all if this organization is literally the GR recruiting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, never forget this is a woman who deals with grief by hiring prostitutes to shoot her in the chest and yells at strangers in bars about moving on being impossible. She's clinging onto any threads of hope she can find that she'll see her kids again.

To reinforce this point: Assuming that this is not a grift and that the two physicist women Nora talked to actually know what they're talking about, one of them straight up tells her that the odds her kids ended up in an environment that could actually support human life are astronomical. That the most likely scenario is a bunch of corpses floating out in space. Yet by the end of the episode, Nora is still saying No, my kids aren't DEAD, they're GONE.

• Locked thread