Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah, my otherwise svelte little Maddie has a luxuriously soft and pettable primordial pouch and she is A-OK with receiving those pets at that location.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hydronium
Oct 23, 2008
Is there a pet loss thread anywhere?

I just had to put down my cat, Lewis. He became very ill very suddenly. He was clearly in a lot of pain for the past week. We'd already paid $900 to find out that his insides were all junked up, and it would have been $450 more to biopsy the masses in his abdomen.

He went out snarfing cheese whiz.

I feel awful because we only had him for 7 months. He was notoriously grumpy, but now that I think about it he'd probably been in some pain for a while and didn't want people touching him. :smith:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Deimos is fine. She expressed her displeasure at being dunked by making GBS threads in the middle of the living room floor, which she hasn't done for a while, but otherwise all is well.

I had no idea cats had a primordial pouch. I guess most of our kitties have just been pretty svelte. That explains Phobos then because she looks just like her sister in terms of size (though Deimos is a tabby and Phobos is black) except Phobos has this extreme chubby belly that like almost drags on the floor. And they eat the same, play the same, and weigh the same. Phobos is just a chub-a-lub. It's almost comical.

Edit:

Hydronium posted:

I just had to put down my cat, Lewis. He became very ill very suddenly. He was clearly in a lot of pain for the past week. We'd already paid $900 to find out that his insides were all junked up, and it would have been $450 more to biopsy the masses in his abdomen.

I feel awful because we only had him for 7 months. He was notoriously grumpy, but now that I think about it he'd probably been in some pain for a while and didn't want people touching him. :smith:

I'm sorry man. I lost my Kit-kit two weeks ago (there's a picture a few pages back). I don't know if there is a pet loss thread but that is a good question because I'm having a hard time dealing. I mean, not that strangers on the internet are qualified to deal with my depression. I see a real therapist for real problems and I've already spoken to her about it.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 5, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Hydronium posted:

I'm sorry goonfriend :( But I bet those 7 months were as good as he could have had, with comfort, shelter, food, water, and companionship. Best life he could have had in his final months.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
There used to a few pet loss threads but they fell off the page, people don't really wanna talk about that stuff I guess.

I've written a lot on pet loss in the butterscotch thread, but yea generally you wanna talk about it and get it off your chest, mourn and cry when you need to, I to have been seeking help and I didn't actually accept that my cat Rocky was gone till days ago and he's been dead for 2 and a half years, the memories of it had become so toxic and destructive that it made me suicidal cause I kept running from it, I had simply decided that caring for him was my calling as it where and without him I had little reason to live, so I refused to accept it for so long.

Its really dangerous to keep that stuff in, I handled his loss so poorly that it affected me, still does but I'm working through it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I swear, pet advice sites are terrible when it comes to cat behavior. Everything is both "Your cat is happy and loves you" and "Your cat is stressed the gently caress out, you are doing everything wrong". I mean, I'm pretty thoroughly confident that Tuna's a happy cat (the behavior in question is that recently he's taken to grooming me when I'm lying in bed, or just generally close to him), but I could do without the ambiguity.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

The Lord of Hats posted:

I swear, pet advice sites are terrible when it comes to cat behavior. Everything is both "Your cat is happy and loves you" and "Your cat is stressed the gently caress out, you are doing everything wrong". I mean, I'm pretty thoroughly confident that Tuna's a happy cat (the behavior in question is that recently he's taken to grooming me when I'm lying in bed, or just generally close to him), but I could do without the ambiguity.

He either loves you and wants to reciprocate the "grooming" you give him or he thinks you taste good. One of them is better than the other but neither is bad. Tuna is very likely to be a happy cat. But yeah, I agree that pet sites can be dumb in that regard e.g. "Purring means your cat is happy!" vs "Purring means your cat is in pain and is upset!" Both can be true but one is much more likely than the other though it doesn't stop people from bringing up the other one so they can whip out their cat knowledge so everyone can see how good at cats they are.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah, I think people enjoy getting to go "that thing you thought about your pet is actually wrong! You're interpreting its signals incorrectly!" Lately the one I seem to keep coming across is "cats aren't actually social & they don't become friends and they actually just have their separate territories and don't cross over" which is completely against what's going on with my own cats and my cats aren't even good friends.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Organza Quiz posted:

Yeah, I think people enjoy getting to go "that thing you thought about your pet is actually wrong! You're interpreting its signals incorrectly!" Lately the one I seem to keep coming across is "cats aren't actually social & they don't become friends and they actually just have their separate territories and don't cross over" which is completely against what's going on with my own cats and my cats aren't even good friends.

This has really confused me. If cats hate being around other cats and never live together out of their own free will why do they form colonies in places with high feral cat populations?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

turn off the TV posted:

This has really confused me. If cats hate being around other cats and never live together out of their own free will why do they form colonies in places with high feral cat populations?

From what I've read, it's because cats are very flexible and adaptable critters. By preference most are pretty solitary, but when population pressure and other factors demand they can and do establish elaborate social hierarchies.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi everyone. New cat owner here.

I dont have any problem with her but im noticing she is eating more.

She is a domestic black kitten with 6 week, this is normal?

Also i was worried she wasnt peeing right but today while i was making my bed i discovered old pee marks so she is alright.

Great thread!

DoctorGonzo fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 7, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

That's very young to be away from her mother, but yes, as she grows and gets used to non-milk foods, she'll start eating more, that's completely normal! Unless she eats so much she throws up or starts having trouble pooping or something, there's no real need to worry until she's fully grown if she starts getting fat.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mister Adequate posted:

That's very young to be away from her mother, but yes, as she grows and gets used to non-milk foods, she'll start eating more, that's completely normal! Unless she eats so much she throws up or starts having trouble pooping or something, there's no real need to worry until she's fully grown if she starts getting fat.

Thank you. Inca was abandoned near my mothers job so thats why she is with us.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey guys, my cat obsessively licks herself as soon as I start petting her, almost every time. She'll start licking the front of her while I'm scratching her neck or petting her back. It makes it hard to pet her! Is this some kind of a "dog kicking air while being scratched" automatic reaction?

Edit: Also, thanks for making me aware of the term Primordial Pouch. I kept calling it her paunch but this sounds much funnier.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 7, 2017

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Any advice on integrating a newcomer to a kitty who plays a bit rough? Snowflake would love to be an outdoor cat, to take out his energy on the local eco-system, but it's not an option. I'm looking for a kitten to run him around with, and hopefully keep him a little more chillax while I'm out for the day. He's about 2 years old. I've successfully integrated cats before, but that was definitely more about luck than skill.

I'm not sure if a male of female would have a better chance of success.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
When we got my cat she had what looked like a scratch on her right cornea, but it never seemed to bother her. We just came home from a three week vacation, and she's holding it closed or squinting with it, and the area around her tear duct is hairless and pink.

We're talking her to the vet tomorrow and I'm worried

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Our two kittens are about 6 months old now. We have been feeding them Royal canin kitten since that's what they were on when we got them. I want to move them to something better for them but am unsure when to switch and to what. Suggestions?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

m.hache posted:

Our two kittens are about 6 months old now. We have been feeding them Royal canin kitten since that's what they were on when we got them. I want to move them to something better for them but am unsure when to switch and to what. Suggestions?

Any adult cat food should be fine. As long as it's nutritionally complete it's more a matter of what the cat prefers. They are all equally nutritious.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

m.hache posted:

If you are able to feed your cat wet food, I would say that's the most important thing. Although, if you look over the last couple pages you'll see it's a bit of a loaded topic.

The above poster's statement, for instance, is the subject of a certain amount of disagreement at the moment in the pet community overall. Although it's very true that a lot of the cat food out there, in spite of what color the food is dyed or what it may say on the package, is more or less the same nutritionally and it does come down to what your cat likes to eat.

I will say that I feel pretty strongly, on a personal level, that wet food is healthier for your cat if you can manage it for more reasons than I'm frankly comfortable listing.

My advice overall is to do your own research and reading on the subject rather than talking anyone's word flat-out.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
If nothing else, many cats are too dipshit to drink enough water on their own to avoid urinary problems, and wet food helps with that.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Works for me.

Went back a few pages to read and glad I didn't open up Pandora's cat food bin again.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Personally I like to feed two small meals of wet in the evening and put some dry food out in the morning. That way I make sure the idiot is getting at least some liquid but also can leave food out for him to nibble on that won't get gross (he's a super picky eater who's not that interested in food so he tends to eat a bit, wander off, then come back to eat some more later.) That doesn't work so well if you have one cat who's a picker and one who's a binger, or two bingers, though. It's good to get at least some wet in because of the aforementioned dipshittery about drinking, especially with male cats in my experience.

Cats are picky little sods, so whatever they'll actually eat is the most important consideration imo.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Every single night both Gypsy and Harley will jump onto my night stand and drink water from my cup. On the one hand cat backwash, on the other I don't have to worry about them not drinking because slurp slurp slurp literally as soon as the lamp goes off

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone have experience with laceration in a cats mouth and how long it takes to heal?

I've already taken him to the vet, his follow up was last friday, swelling's gone, just the laceration remains which is healing, just curious how long it takes, its been at least 3 weeks so far.

I'm told stuff like that doesn't heal easy cause the mouth is always humid.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

CloFan posted:

Every single night both Gypsy and Harley will jump onto my night stand and drink water from my cup. On the one hand cat backwash, on the other I don't have to worry about them not drinking because slurp slurp slurp literally as soon as the lamp goes off

The easiest way to get water into a cat is by leaving your glass unattended for a millisecond.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Werong Bustope posted:

The easiest way to get water into a cat is by leaving your glass unattended for a millisecond.

I've found this to be very effective for hydrating my desk, keyboard, and floor. My cat just likes to knock poo poo over.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Stray Mama Cat left behind two of its litter outside our house. After we found out one kitten died, we took the other one in.

I feel like I'm allergic to it, but I'm not sure. We've only had it in our house since mid-day yesterday and (during the day at least) I've had terrible allergies- which could absolutely be from seasonal allergies (pollen count is high today).

I've never lived with cats before, and all the times that I've been in houses with cat owners, I don't remember any symptoms. But now I feel like poo poo.

This morning was the first time I've ever handled the kitten, because my wife is away. I didn't get a rash or anything on my hands, but I feel like I'm going to throw up.

That could be a combination of things. Our house smells loving terrible between this kitten stepping all over its own poop in its litter box, the wet kitten food, and the kitten formula.

We figure the kitten is about 4-5 weeks old, maybe. We got formula from the pet store to try to nurse it back to OK health (it's pretty emaciated). It took a while to take to it but it is eating solid food and drinking the formula. We plan on giving it to the APL this Thursday where they will spay/neuter or whatever and I don't know where it goes from there.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Get thee some Zyrtec, (or whatever generic brand is next to Zyrtec because it's cheaper and the same thing.) There's no reason to be miserable. You can use a damp paper towel to clean the kitten up if he's poopy, a tiny kitten shouldn't be able to stank up the whole house. If you are allergic then wash your hands after handling it and don't hold it near your face.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I have already taken Flonase but I might supplement with Benadryl. I've tried Zyrtec for seasonal allergies in the past and I didn't like the way it made me feel.

The kitten is poopy but I don't have time right now to give it a bath, hopefully my wife can do it when she gets home (I work from home but am really busy today)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Lareine posted:

He either loves you and wants to reciprocate the "grooming" you give him or he thinks you taste good. One of them is better than the other but neither is bad. Tuna is very likely to be a happy cat. But yeah, I agree that pet sites can be dumb in that regard e.g. "Purring means your cat is happy!" vs "Purring means your cat is in pain and is upset!" Both can be true but one is much more likely than the other though it doesn't stop people from bringing up the other one so they can whip out their cat knowledge so everyone can see how good at cats they are.

Yeah, a lot of people don't get that animals aren't robots made from flesh, pet behaviour depends a lot of context and the individual in questions. Like, if your cat sits in your lap and purrs while you pet her, chances are she is happy and if she purrs while hiding under your bed, curled up in some hard-to-reach place, welp. Chances are she is in pain.

Also, if you listen closely, you also learn to differentiate different types of sounds coming out of your cat: My cat has three pretty distinct sounding types of purring, for example. One you hear when she's just feeling content. Another, higher sound comes out when she's really upbeat and happy and the last one I only get to hear if she is either really scared or hurt. That one gives me nightmares.

She also has several different kinds of hissing and growling. One type of growling I almost never get to hear, because that creepy sound is only reserved for dogs or other cats and is a prelude to serious violence. Then there is this real deep, growly hiss she uses when she's seriously pissed off, but not enough to fight. But she also has this weird, shorter and higher hiss she pulls out whenever someone is slightly annoying her. So a lot of people start petting her, only to jerk back when out of the blue, she suddenly throws a short, angry-sounding hiss in their direction. (It's even funnier because she is tame as a kitten with me. She only does this with other people.)

So in short, cat behaviour isn't governed by hard rules, it's more like "this are the observations we made, the rest is on you, good luck!"

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Doctor Butts posted:

I've tried Zyrtec for seasonal allergies in the past and I didn't like the way it made me feel.

Generic Allegra and Claritin are also worth trying for this, some people have better luck with one of those. Personally, I do the best on Allegra. Get the -D version with the pseudophedrine if you can.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Boopcat is just down on her luck and it's depressing the hell out of me. Got back from our honeymoon and picked her up from the cat sitter only to notice the next day that her upper lip was getting stuck on a lower dang. Boop never had an underbite before... It was a Sunday so we waited and got a quick vet visit Monday and yup that tooth was hanging on by a thread. No other signs of trauma and no signs of infection or decay. What gives, cat? Since she's been sick they just sedated her a bit and extracted it and then dosed her with antibiotics.

Then yesterday I noticed she was really lethargic and hiding a lot. I hadn't been paying close attention because honestly having fluid in one of my lungs isn't really conducive to noticing anything but how much work breathing is. Boopcat was wobbly and not eating much and after not really responding to my best efforts to tempt her (plus boogieing everywhere, poor cat), I decided another vet visit was in order. Five hundred bucks and some more antibiotics and IV fluids later, I'm waiting on results from her blood and piss labs.

C'mon cat. :( Even her buddy isn't doing so hot. Tomorrow Fatfat has surgery to remove tumors from her abdomen. She's had the runs for the past couple days and has just been extra senile since we got back and I'm really worried.

Does anyone have some hot fresh pro tips on getting their kidney cats to eat? I've got stinky high calorie wet food mixed with water and warmed up... Also tried poached chicken. Boop hasn't even tried to steal hash browns so it's serious.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Domino's new favorite game is dumping his gallon water dispenser on the floor. Short of removing his legs how do I make it stop?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Depends how/why he's doing it. I stopped Pepper from tipping up her water by covering the tank with an old thin pillowcase which stopped her from seeing the water so she didn't want to play with it anymore.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Organza Quiz posted:

Depends how/why he's doing it. I stopped Pepper from tipping up her water by covering the tank with an old thin pillowcase which stopped her from seeing the water so she didn't want to play with it anymore.

He starts out pawing the water in the tray and then kind of moves around batting the thing itself. Last night he had pushed it a good three feet away from.the wall (it was almost empty) before just pushing it over and licking the carpet.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Len posted:

He starts out pawing the water in the tray and then kind of moves around batting the thing itself. Last night he had pushed it a good three feet away from.the wall (it was almost empty) before just pushing it over and licking the carpet.

I keep mine in the shower cause my fat-rear end Luna wouldnt stop doing this.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Try covering it then, the reason my one was batting at it was because she liked seeing the water slosh around inside so yours might be the same.

I mean the other option is sticking it down to something wide and flat and/or heavy so it's more stable but that sounds like a pain.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Len posted:

I thought my cats were the only ones who did this. All night the water dispenser in the bathroom is just sliding across the tiles. All night. Luckily they don't tip it over. Since Kit-kit died they don't drink from it either, they just play with it. They only drink from the fancy running run downstairs, not the boring upstairs one that just works by gravity that is apparently no fun to drink out of but loads of fun to drag across the floor.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Hi all, I read the OP and didn't see anything on this so I thought I'd ask for advice on an automatic litter box. I've read up on some of the top models here: http://heavy.com/pets/2016/05/top-best-self-cleaning-litter-box-automatic-litter-box-reviews/ but if anyone has recommendations or testimonials I'd love to hear them. Amazon reviews are all over the place.

I'd definitely prefer an option that doesn't require expensive proprietary trays or other consumable features you have to continually buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So I just got home from vacation and found my kitty with a big swollen cheek. He doesn't seem to be in pain. My parents who were watching over him while I was gone had no idea what caused it. We have 3 other cats in the house, one of whom he gets in fights with sometimes so since he's an indoor cat my first guess was that he managed to gently caress himself up in a fight somehow.

However, things suddenly made more sense to me when I was wandering around the house and found a bee corpse. I'm assuming a bee somehow got in the house and the dumbass tried to eat it with some bad results and spit out the corpse.

So what now? Lots of things I've searched online have been like "carefully remove the bee's stinger" and I sure as poo poo don't see one. I'm not even sure if I would be able to see it if it was in his fur. As for if it was in the inside of his mouth I'm not entirely convinced that he wouldn't have just ended up swallowing it. I tried looking at the inside of his cheeks but can't really see anything.

I've tentatively booked an appointment with the vet for tomorrow. Might be overkill since he seems to be doing fine but I'm paranoid.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 10, 2017